HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2012, 08:39 PM
'scuse me while I kiss the sky
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
This HobbyKing one is their smallest with a 7" prop but it would be less powerful than the stock EasyStar Speed400 on 2S I would think.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6296

The difficulty with reverse thrust on an EasyStar/SkySurfer/Bixler is the limited prop clearance. They tend to be larger dia to fit all the mechanics in. That and I have never seen a pusher variable pitch system.

For a simple thrill a reversing (boat) ESC would be a lot easier.
HK carried a setup like that for a long time but the reviews were not good. My Ikarus shock flyer does not it yet. I do not deserve it! After I can do a rolling circle, may be a reward???
Lafayette is offline Find More Posts by Lafayette
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2012, 09:00 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafayette View Post
I do not know about the rest of you, but personally I think the Bixler decals are not so pretty. The Skysurfer is a bit Better, but so generic...
Now with all that HK advertised on the Bixlers, They should pay us to fly them!
Just started painting my wing. Top is red with white and will get pinsrtipe blue.
The bottom will be navy blue, whith some Silver stripes and detail.
Pretty soon there are going to be so many of them flying at clubs everywhere, and a custom paintjob might be the only option to be able to tell your plane apart in the crowd!!!

When I am done with the paint I will post pics.
We look forward to seeing pictures of your paint job.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2012, 09:45 PM
'scuse me while I kiss the sky
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
We look forward to seeing pictures of your paint job.
Thanks.
First, the only red I could find was a Krylon fusion. They only had one. I tried on a spare piece of foam and it was great, nice and bright...Behold after it dries, it turns a couple shade darker, kind of a deep red.
So, not quite as bright as I wanted, but...
Lafayette is offline Find More Posts by Lafayette
Old Jan 31, 2012, 09:48 PM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Quote:
I do not know about the rest of you, but personally I think the Bixler decals are not so pretty. The Skysurfer is a bit Better, but so generic...
Now with all that HK advertised on the Bixlers, They should pay us to fly them!
Just started painting my wing. Top is red with white and will get pinsrtipe blue.
The bottom will be navy blue, whith some Silver stripes and detail.
Pretty soon there are going to be so many of them flying at clubs everywhere, and a custom paintjob might be the only option to be able to tell your plane apart in the crowd!!!

When I am done with the paint I will post pics.
Gotta agree with you there,both variants are nothing to wright about.
Limited flyer is offline Find More Posts by Limited flyer
Old Jan 31, 2012, 09:51 PM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Quote:
Here is some nice reversible prop action. Pretty amazing.
Now I do not know up to what size the make them, but they are out there. I know I used them when I was flying the real thing. MU-2 was amazing, could stop in no time at all!! A bit too expensive foor my plane!
If anyone finds one for the Skysurfer/Bixler size aircraft please post, Thanks.http://youtu.be/k18pOsg10nM
WELL,isn't that just the cats ass.VERY COOL.
Limited flyer is offline Find More Posts by Limited flyer
Last edited by Limited flyer; Jan 31, 2012 at 09:57 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2012, 01:58 AM
Joined Dec 2011
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
That is the thing you do not want to use reverse thrust to just stop you dead in your tracks and fall like a rock, you want to give it just enough to slow you down to just above stall speed if using it as a brake. Correct me if I am wrong but this is something airliners do to slow down as well. (Maybe just on the ground?)
Yes, only on ground for most Turbo Fan aircraft as a reverse thrust at altitude at cruise speed would be catastrophic to entire plane. I will have to go dig through my manuals to find wording but it is not good!

Great thread here by the way, I have learned so much an modded my first Bixler based off this thread and have 2 more on the way!
Scottventures is offline Find More Posts by Scottventures
Old Feb 01, 2012, 02:23 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2011
286 Posts
I think I'm going to go ahead and buy a microdan motor. However, I got to thinking and I'm wondering how the hell I'm going to mount it to the v4 motor mount. I would just use that aluminum mount on his site, but there wouldn't be any way to affix it to the v4 plywood mount. I'm thinking about using a 1 inch wooden dowel to fashion an adapter, but I'm not sure. Any ideas?
Dkumagai is offline Find More Posts by Dkumagai
Old Feb 01, 2012, 07:07 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkumagai View Post
I think I'm going to go ahead and buy a microdan motor. However, I got to thinking and I'm wondering how the hell I'm going to mount it to the v4 motor mount. I would just use that aluminum mount on his site, but there wouldn't be any way to affix it to the v4 plywood mount. I'm thinking about using a 1 inch wooden dowel to fashion an adapter, but I'm not sure. Any ideas?
There is a whole page of motor mounts on Dan's website. http://www.gobrushless.com/shop/inde...f=MOTOR+MOUNTS

I would ask him for suggestions. Perhaps send him a picture of the V4.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2012, 01:22 PM
United Kingdom, England, Ripon
Joined Dec 2011
309 Posts
Managed second flight with the Bixler today added some white led strips down the fuse. My son took a video on his phone, very impressed with this plane
Bixler 2nd flight with added lights (5 min 3 sec)

You will have to try and ignore his annoying screaming friend!!!!!!
Simon2504 is offline Find More Posts by Simon2504
Old Feb 01, 2012, 04:06 PM
United States, OR, Blodgett
Joined Apr 2011
361 Posts
First Flight, good news and bad news

Thanks for the thread AJ,
I've been around here since the middle of last summer. I got a Bixler in September with all the parts for the Mods and packed it all away in the back of my bus for my annual trip south to Mexico. I just got to it a couple of weeks ago. The build went ok except for the prop adapter. I couldn't get off the old one to put on the 6" prop.
I had been playing with a gyro on the ailerons for flying on the beach in the wind but decided not to use it until I fly the plane well. I did not check the aileron direction before the first flight so I crashed right away. After I reversed the ailerons she flew great. The first time of flying anything except my 450 heli. I was a happy guy.
That was the good news. Then after about 15 minutes of flight and several beautiful saves the motor quit and she began to smoke. I landed safely and ran over and disconnected the battery. The HK 30 amp ESC was toast.
So it's looking like no more flying until I get back up north the end of March. I was hoping to get some FPV time in before then.
This thing flies nice and smooth.
Thanks again for a place to read all about it.
Jerry
http://crowncoach.clanteam.com
Jerry Campbell is online now Find More Posts by Jerry Campbell
Old Feb 01, 2012, 04:36 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Campbell View Post
Thanks for the thread AJ,
I've been around here since the middle of last summer. I got a Bixler in September with all the parts for the Mods and packed it all away in the back of my bus for my annual trip south to Mexico. I just got to it a couple of weeks ago. The build went ok except for the prop adapter. I couldn't get off the old one to put on the 6" prop.
I had been playing with a gyro on the ailerons for flying on the beach in the wind but decided not to use it until I fly the plane well. I did not check the aileron direction before the first flight so I crashed right away. After I reversed the ailerons she flew great. The first time of flying anything except my 450 heli. I was a happy guy.
That was the good news. Then after about 15 minutes of flight and several beautiful saves the motor quit and she began to smoke. I landed safely and ran over and disconnected the battery. The HK 30 amp ESC was toast.
So it's looking like no more flying until I get back up north the end of March. I was hoping to get some FPV time in before then.
This thing flies nice and smooth.
Thanks again for a place to read all about it.
Jerry
http://crowncoach.clanteam.com
I just had a Turnigy AE-30A die on me, didn't smoke but just died. So I put a much higher quality 40A in .
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old Feb 01, 2012, 06:03 PM
Joined Dec 2011
309 Posts
Ok so next question thrust angle is all wrong im mixing 35% elev with throttle just to keep its nose down on WOT. Now with this being my first pusher prop do I reduce the motor angle or increase it?? My head is telling me to lower the angle to stop it pushing the tail down
Old Feb 01, 2012, 06:32 PM
I need a bigger shed..
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon2504 View Post
Ok so next question thrust angle is all wrong im mixing 35% elev with throttle just to keep its nose down on WOT. Now with this being my first pusher prop do I reduce the motor angle or increase it?? My head is telling me to lower the angle to stop it pushing the tail down
Check your CG first, I had to add weight using 2200mAh and washers removed, to counter extra CF rods along fuse and in tail.
I was using a elevator mix, but it is not perfect, when no power is on but speed is high (ie any sort of dive) it will pitch up still. Also, advance the throttle smoothly, don't bang it to the stop instantly.
Stock thrust angle should be fine, mine was once I rebalanced CG. (balances on front edge of CF tube cover on wing)
sammyc is offline Find More Posts by sammyc
Old Feb 01, 2012, 07:05 PM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,360 Posts
Flew my bixler for the first time today in a long while. Still cant believe how much weight this thing will handle with no issue at all. Currently have it loaded down with a board cam, 500mW Vtx, OSD w/voltage logger, 30a esc, and 3s 4000mah pack.

FPV over JJ Biello Park (8 min 39 sec)
shadow102 is online now Find More Posts by shadow102
Old Feb 01, 2012, 07:14 PM
Joined Dec 2011
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyc View Post
Check your CG first, I had to add weight using 2200mAh and washers removed, to counter extra CF rods along fuse and in tail.
I was using a elevator mix, but it is not perfect, when no power is on but speed is high (ie any sort of dive) it will pitch up still. Also, advance the throttle smoothly, don't bang it to the stop instantly.
Stock thrust angle should be fine, mine was once I rebalanced CG. (balances on front edge of CF tube cover on wing)
CG is fine glides perfectly and will fly level up to about 3/4 throttle above that I have to use too much elev which is causing too much drag and slowing it down and makes it a little shakey