Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 30, 2012, 03:40 PM
I need a bigger shed..
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
My flying on the beach:

Beach RC flying Australia Day weekend (4 min 39 sec)
sammyc is offline Find More Posts by sammyc
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2012, 03:50 PM
'scuse me while I kiss the sky
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
[QUOTE=sammyc;20586620]My flying on the beach:

What a beautiful spot! Nice video.
Lafayette is offline Find More Posts by Lafayette
Old Jan 30, 2012, 04:04 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Buy another plane and go over the top with mods. I have 2 Skys's (started with 3) and I am feeling like I need one more just for that reason. Ask Prof100 his experiences, too. I am sure he has at least 2 planes (being an old guy, I keep forgetting how many he has - He told me probably 3-4 times). But, Hey..... Let me put it out as a question to everyone on this thread -----
How many SkyS/Bixler planes do you have flying???
AJ
AJ,

I have two. Both are version 1. One is 2200 kv inrunner with 240 LEDs with flaps cut in.
The other is the Microdan 2505 2535 kv powered. This one has extra reinforcement in the wing.

Bill
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2012, 04:59 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyc View Post
My flying on the beach:
Nice video. Really nice. What was causing the waviness/rolling movement in the video. It is very noticeable at 3:10-3:25. I have seen that several other times in videos. I just don't remember what causes it. Still, though, IMO, your content and flying ability are excellent.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Jan 30, 2012, 05:07 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
AJ,

I have two. Both are version 1. One is 2200 kv inrunner with 240 LEDs with flaps cut in.
The other is the Microdan 2505 2535 kv powered. This one has extra reinforcement in the wing.

Bill
Thanks. I will "try" to remember this time. I took the flaps off of both of my planes. For me, it just did not provide me with an aerodynamic change that was useful to me. Also, it made the plane a little "soft" in handling - sort of like a Slow stick with minimum rudder throw (when the flaps are deployed on the SkyS). I know it is very useful to you because of you flying environment (I didn't forget everything). It is one of those mods that is totally up to an individuals needs or wants. Since I have a HUGE flying field, it doesn't help me. But, I encourage everyone to try it and see if it works for them and to gain the invaluable experience. I still have to try out spoilers on one of my SkyS's just for the experience. IIRC, you like flaps better than spoilers (IIRC, you use the crow setup?). Oh, one more thing that one of us ought to try is "reverse thrust". Interested?
AJ
P.S. There are a couple of guys on YouTube that have done the big-time led application and there are videos on YouTube that were taken by folks that did not know what they were.
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Jan 30, 2012, 05:27 PM
I need a bigger shed..
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Nice video. Really nice. What was causing the waviness/rolling movement in the video. It is very noticeable at 3:10-3:25. I have seen that several other times in videos. I just don't remember what causes it. Still, though, IMO, your content and flying ability are excellent.
AJ
Cheers AJ I think the waviness is vibration from motor at certain throttle levels.
The shaft has a bend which was there when I bought plane. I may try and trim it and use a prop adaptor.
The camera is a #11 keychain, which because it's a CMOS camera (captures frames in horizontal lines) it gets wavy with vibration (don't quote me!). It's only velcroed on, so a more solid and 'non-floating' mount may improve it, or make it worse. I have FPV gear on the way, so hopefully I don't get the same problem with the CCD security camera im going to use!
Old Jan 30, 2012, 05:28 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,240 Posts
Quote:
Thanks. I will "try" to remember this time. I took the flaps off of both of my planes. For me, it just did not provide me with an aerodynamic change that was useful to me. Also, it made the plane a little "soft" in handling - sort of like a Slow stick with minimum rudder throw (when the flaps are deployed on the SkyS). I know it is very useful to you because of you flying environment (I didn't forget everything). It is one of those mods that is totally up to an individuals needs or wants. Since I have a HUGE flying field, it doesn't help me. But, I encourage everyone to try it and see if it works for them and to gain the invaluable experience. I still have to try out spoilers on one of my SkyS's just for the experience. IIRC, you like flaps better than spoilers (IIRC, you use the crow setup?). Oh, one more thing that one of us ought to try is "reverse thrust". Interested?
AJ
P.S. There are a couple of guys on YouTube that have done the big-time led application and there are videos on YouTube that were taken by folks that did not know what they were.
AJ,

Your field has no obstacles so flaps are just a novelty to play with as another mod. For my backyard flying with trees surrounding the flying area the flaps are quite helpful.

CROW helps but the plane becomes a rudder and elevator plane.

Bill
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2012, 05:38 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,607 Posts
For 808 cams I found the best anti vibration is having it tight and cushioned, you will see in attached pics, I CA'd a screw mount to my 808 (I can switch between multiple RC's with my setup), foam cushioning on both sides and a screw very tight, with this I don't get any waviness at all.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Let'sFPV UBEC 1 WEEK SALE
Old Jan 30, 2012, 06:13 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Dec 2011
164 Posts
Sky Surfer video compilation

Hi All,

Here's a compilation of the last couple of week's worth of flying condensed into a few minutes.

http://youtu.be/4U2-riId__k?hd=1
Jcome is offline Find More Posts by Jcome
Old Jan 30, 2012, 07:15 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2011
286 Posts
Quote:
Oh, one more thing that one of us ought to try is "reverse thrust". Interested?
AJ
Reverse thrust? Like, as in a backward flying SS? Explain.
Dkumagai is offline Find More Posts by Dkumagai
Old Jan 30, 2012, 07:17 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkumagai View Post
Reverse thrust? Like, as in a backward flying SS? Explain.
Would be nice for coming in on a tight landing zone, depending on my setup to just glide in I have to go out quite far, though I use flapperons to slow down before landing so I can come in a little closer, with reverse thrust you could pretty easily just give it a little bump of reverse to slow you down fast.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2012, 07:40 PM
I need a bigger shed..
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Reverse thrust, very interesting! I'm wondering how it would work with the motor's placement and thrust angle? I reckon it would send the nose up in a hurry, but if used gently you would slow down very quickly!
I've got flaperons/spoilerons setup, spoilerons help a fair bit at dropping some altitude, but with flaperons the plane becomes very uncontrollable. I rarely use flaperons, although I might try and give them another go with a lot less angle.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 07:44 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyc View Post
Reverse thrust, very interesting! I'm wondering how it would work with the motor's placement and thrust angle? I reckon it would send the nose up in a hurry, but if used gently you would slow down very quickly!
I've got flaperons/spoilerons setup, spoilerons help a fair bit at dropping some altitude, but with flaperons the plane becomes very uncontrollable. I rarely use flaperons, although I might try and give them another go with a lot less angle.
I use flapperons on approach to slow down, then disengage them for the actual landing, because yeah it is way too slow to respond with them on.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2012, 07:52 PM
I need a bigger shed..
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
I use flapperons on approach to slow down, then disengage them for the actual landing, because yeah it is way too slow to respond with them on.
Yea thats generally what I've tried to do, but I disengage them a fair way up still, need huge rudder inputs to steer the plane, and even then it wants to yaw then bank towards the ground
With spoilerons, I can get larger control surface angles and maintain control, which means more drag and less lift. And I can nearly turn with only the remaining aileron movement, but rudder is much easier I tend to leave them up right until I land, unless I've already bled off enough height.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 07:57 PM
Rookie
Australia, VIC
Joined Jun 2011
1,402 Posts
Is there a write up somewhere on how to install flaps?
planex is offline Find More Posts by planex