SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 24, 2012, 02:25 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
After a long emergency hiatus, finally flew the SkySurfer again this morning. 55F, sunny, grass wet from dew and last night's rain, zero wind, perfect. First flight was nice and leisurely, just went up, circled around a few times so I could remember what that stick on the transmitter was for, came down and landed uneventfully.

Second flight, normal launch straight ahead, and a large dog thundered past me, going straight for the plane. Firewalled the throttle at 6 feet altitude, pulled the nose straight up, and climbed to about 200 feet smoothly. Pushed the nose over, pulled the throttle back to 1/3, and cruised from there as the dog stood in the middle of the field, staring.

That 2835-3900KV motor continues to pay unexpected dividends.

Now to mount the new #11 HD keychain camera...!!
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2012, 02:33 PM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
After a long emergency hiatus, finally flew the SkySurfer again this morning. 55F, sunny, grass wet from dew and last night's rain, zero wind, perfect. First flight was nice and leisurely, just went up, circled around a few times so I could remember what that stick on the transmitter was for, came down and landed uneventfully.

Second flight, normal launch straight ahead, and a large dog thundered past me, going straight for the plane. Firewalled the throttle at 6 feet altitude, pulled the nose straight up, and climbed to about 200 feet smoothly. Pushed the nose over, pulled the throttle back to 1/3, and cruised from there as the dog stood in the middle of the field, staring.

That 2835-3900KV motor continues to pay unexpected dividends.

Now to mount the new #11 HD keychain camera...!!
So what happened with the dog when you landed. Or did it get bored and cleared off?
Flypoppa is online now Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2012, 02:40 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
So what happened with the dog when you landed. Or did it get bored and cleared off?
Owner came and got it. I circled a while till he did, then did a few stunts and came down.

Decided against a kamikaze crash to take out the dog, SS was performing too well for that.
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
Old Jan 24, 2012, 02:56 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2011
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Owner came and got it. I circled a while till he did, then did a few stunts and came down.

Decided against a kamikaze crash to take out the dog, SS was performing too well for that.
That reminds me of a couple experiences I've had while flying my umx extra. I've had German shepards chase after it while practicing harriers. Considering a Pomeranian could destroy that plane I'm glad I never crashed while being chased.
Dkumagai is offline Find More Posts by Dkumagai
Old Jan 24, 2012, 02:58 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
I've had dogs chase my Genius CP Heli, that is always a funny one cause the second they get close I will just shoot about 4 or 5 feet up and just hover over them while they try to jump at it rofl.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Let'sFPV UBEC 1 WEEK SALE
Old Jan 24, 2012, 04:48 PM
'scuse me while I kiss the sky
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
oops
Lafayette is offline Find More Posts by Lafayette
Old Jan 24, 2012, 04:49 PM
'scuse me while I kiss the sky
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
Lafayette is offline Find More Posts by Lafayette
Old Jan 24, 2012, 08:45 PM
Lost it again!!!!!
United States, CA, Menifee
Joined Aug 2007
1,105 Posts
hey guys

I have an old ez* and reconize a lot of you from the ez* threads years back

Well I am going to help a buddy learn how to fly and stick him on a trainer box with the old ez. He wants to get a Bixler from HK or I want him to. But I got a few questions.

Looks like there is a long wood motor mout for the outrunner? If you buy the ARF is the fuse already glued? If so how hard is it to put in an inrunner?

I think the stock 1950kv outrunner might be a bit weak?

I see they recomend a 1300mah battery, but Im still getting a 2200 unless it wont balance but I dont think there is an issue.

any other pointers would be great....thanks
dirtman is offline Find More Posts by dirtman
Old Jan 24, 2012, 09:09 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtman View Post
hey guys

Well I am going to help a buddy learn how to fly and stick him on a trainer box with the old ez. He wants to get a Bixler from HK or I want him to. But I got a few questions.

Looks like there is a long wood motor mout for the outrunner? If you buy the ARF is the fuse already glued? If so how hard is it to put in an inrunner?

I see they recomend a 1300mah battery, but Im still getting a 2200 unless it wont balance but I dont think there is an issue.

I got my plane setup with landing gear, FPV, 1 2200 and 1 1300 onboard, and my AUW is slightly less then double the stock weight flying with stock motor, and she flies just fine .
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2012, 09:29 PM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,158 Posts
Dirtman (What a name! - do a lot of rolling mud do we?!)

Here's a picture how the Bixler comes...
I'm going to be running a 2200mAh Nano-Tech battery. It will be more or less stock, except for:
- I shoved two solid CF rods down the guts of the hollow CF wing CF tube.
- Will put a 30 or 40mm wheel on it, even thinking of making it retractable.
- Put in an Assan Dual Receiver Controller - like you, to train my friend(s)

-B!
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old Jan 24, 2012, 09:41 PM
Bill
United States, NE, La Vista
Joined Jul 2007
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugitive_Bill View Post
Dirtman (What a name! - do a lot of rolling mud do we?!)

Here's a picture how the Bixler comes...
I'm going to be running a 2200mAh Nano-Tech battery. It will be more or less stock, except for:
- I shoved two solid CF rods down the guts of the hollow CF wing CF tube.
- Will put a 30 or 40mm wheel on it, even thinking of making it retractable.
- Put in an Assan Dual Receiver Controller - like you, to train my friend(s)

-B!
Add flaps! They're cool and will help in small fields.
HiFlyer371 is offline Find More Posts by HiFlyer371
Old Jan 24, 2012, 09:49 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Plane is fully setup and ready for FPV flight. Yesterday I finished the power harness that feeds the vTX and camera, attached the camera to my custom made canopy, and installed the wire harness into the plane.

Wire harness / FPV setup before install...

The vTX which I thought was a BoB is not, but that's OK cause it is still considered to be a good TX, it's main flaw being lack of proper heat sink on it, so I went to radio shack and got thermal adhesive, a heat sink, and some pink heat shrink (since it was the only color they had beside black), and got my vTX ready!

The vTX will be mounted to the very rear of the plane near the tail, in my benchmark tests yesterday I found no issue with servo glitches at this location, and CG can be easily balanced with the batteries.

I will take some pics soon of the plane fully setup for FPV as well as the mess inside the fuse rofl.

Also on the idea of flaps I do plan to put flaps on mine Right now I am using flapperons which help but I don't like how much it dulls down roll response, especially on landings, plus all of the weight my plane is adding up to rofl, I still am considering DOSD v2 for this thing too , not sure what it's AUW is, plus I would also need to add a PPM encoder too. I still want to put some lights on her too, other then that I cannot think of a single thing else to do to this plane after all that .
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:53 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
hey guys

Using a 2200Mah is fine. Then, use a 30A ESC and a 2200Kv motor, If you can find one. An APC 6x4E (or 6x4EP) will complete the setup. The motor is a drop-in - just glue it in place (or whatever mounting you want to use).

AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:35 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
So here are the shots of my Bix ready to go for FPV! As well as the rats nest under the hood .

One question I have is will the antenna being in that spot cause any control issues? I don't really use rudder much though I think doing FPV I will do so a bit more, she is getting heavy now and I want turns to be as smooth as possible rofl.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2012, 04:31 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
hey guys

Hey dirtman,
I wouldn't call the stock motor weak, for normal flying (and learning), combined with a 6x4 prop, it has plenty of oomph. I am adding FPV gear to my bixler soon, and only now considering a motor upgrade to help with additional weight. My mate is using the 1300mAh batteries (with weights still in) and is getting ~10 mins flying easy, I am using the 2200's and get well over 20 mins, and over 30 mins with some thermaling and being gentle and effecient. (Im sure I can get more)
sammyc is offline Find More Posts by sammyc