pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2010, 12:43 AM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman24 View Post
I just completed my ARF Sky Surfer this weekend and I ran into the same issue. The way I got through it was to connect the servo with the stock wire to the extension wire in the wing, pull the extension until you feel resistance, then fold and tuck the excess wire into the cavity just behind the servo location. I folded the foam cover over the wing spar back just so I had a little more room to shove the wires in there. It works though. I am using Hitec HS-55 servos all around for the plane. They fit into the servo sockets perfectly. I used a little Gorilla Glue White to secure them.

KMan
Yep, I did it the same way also.

strange that no control horns or linkage for the ailerons are included in the kit version
antennahead is online now Find More Posts by antennahead
Old May 02, 2010, 01:27 AM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,255 Posts
I wanted to have my sky surfer finnished tonight and maidened tomorrow, but sadly I couldn't quite get it finnished. All that is left is to finalize electronic placement, set cg and program my radio, but it's getting late and I don't want to rush through it just to get it done. Anyway here are a few pictures of my fuse and wing mods.
When I was first learning to fly on an ez star, I installed two 4mm carbon rods down both sides of the fuse the whole length of the cockpit to strengthen the nose so that it would survive the inevitable crashes and it served it's pupose very well. I nosed that ez star in quite a few times, I even flew it at half throttle straight into a brick wall (it's maiden flight) and never broke the nose off, or bent it so bad that the canopy wouldn't fit correctly. since I now have alot more experience, I don't feel the need to do such extensive reinforcements, but I did decide to add some carbon rod just below the canopy opening, just to strengthen it in case one of those freak wind gusts come along just as it's about to land and cause the skysurfer to stall and nose into the ground. I really don't know how effective this mod would be, so time will tell (but I really don't want to find out)

Also when test fitting the wings, They fit the fuse tightly, but they were not very tight on the wing spar. I think the posibility of the wings comming off in flight is a strong posibility, so some sort of wing retention is in order. although I have used both magnets and velcro without issue, I decided to try a different method, and this time went with the kitchen cabinet latch mod. The cabinet latch mod was easily installed and very effective.
Last edited by antennahead; May 02, 2010 at 01:40 AM.
Old May 02, 2010, 03:24 AM
Rogue User
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2008
392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
I wanted to have my sky surfer finnished tonight and maidened tomorrow, but sadly I couldn't quite get it finnished. All that is left is to finalize electronic placement, set cg and program my radio, but it's getting late and I don't want to rush through it just to get it done. Anyway here are a few pictures of my fuse and wing mods.
When I was first learning to fly on an ez star, I installed two 4mm carbon rods down both sides of the fuse the whole length of the cockpit to strengthen the nose so that it would survive the inevitable crashes and it served it's pupose very well. I nosed that ez star in quite a few times, I even flew it at half throttle straight into a brick wall (it's maiden flight) and never broke the nose off, or bent it so bad that the canopy wouldn't fit correctly. since I now have alot more experience, I don't feel the need to do such extensive reinforcements, but I did decide to add some carbon rod just below the canopy opening, just to strengthen it in case one of those freak wind gusts come along just as it's about to land and cause the skysurfer to stall and nose into the ground. I really don't know how effective this mod would be, so time will tell (but I really don't want to find out)

Also when test fitting the wings, They fit the fuse tightly, but they were not very tight on the wing spar. I think the posibility of the wings comming off in flight is a strong posibility, so some sort of wing retention is in order. although I have used both magnets and velcro without issue, I decided to try a different method, and this time went with the kitchen cabinet latch mod. The cabinet latch mod was easily installed and very effective.
Love the cabinet latch idea, thats awesome!

I just replaced the standard wing spar with a 8mm CF one, I could barely get the wings together and its just as hard to get them apart, not very effective if you need to remove your wings for travel or stowage but
Mr Krinkle is offline Find More Posts by Mr Krinkle
Old May 02, 2010, 05:35 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Antena MAN.. you are the MAN...
very smart...

As I said. this hobby is 50% about creativity... 30% about friendship and 20% about flying (Actually Inever said that.. that's the 1st time) :P
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old May 02, 2010, 08:18 AM
Lake Havasu City AZ
Joined Feb 2009
165 Posts
Quote:
Yep, I did it the same way also.

strange that no control horns or linkage for the ailerons are included in the kit version
The control horns and linkage that did come with my kit are junk anyway. When changing the control horns they pulled off the aileron way to easy and are thin brittle plastic. Linkage rods were to long to adjust and clevis is cheep and would not trust. Went with DU-BRO 1/2A control horns which fit perfect in the recess on the aileron and bolt through with a back plate, very solid. Used a DU-BRO micro ez link and piano wire.
jeeper1977 is offline Find More Posts by jeeper1977
Old May 02, 2010, 09:43 AM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,255 Posts
the pvc motor mount and the cabinet latch to retain the wings aren't my ideas, I just borrowed what I Learned in the ez star thread.

The too long aileron wires are giving me fits again, now I know why they intended for you to glue the wings together. I want to keep the wings removable for transportation, but trying to assemble both wings while pushing the aileron wires down into the hole in the fuse is a pain. I can imagine trying to do this at the feild with the wind spinning the wing around on the spar while I am trying to stuff the aileron wires into the fuse. there has to be a better way. any ideas?
Old May 02, 2010, 12:17 PM
"Walk of shame" Master!!!
West Chicago Il
Joined Jul 2004
538 Posts
Hey, antennahead, I just realize that your about 16mil from me in any case. where did you purchase your cabinete latch??
NoM'rcrashPlease is offline Find More Posts by NoM'rcrashPlease
Old May 02, 2010, 12:38 PM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoM'rcrashPlease View Post
Hey, antennahead, I just realize that your about 16mil from me in any case. where did you purchase your cabinete latch??
I'm in Lake Forest, so if your in WC it's about double that but still not that far. anyway, I bought the cabinet latch at home depo in the section that has all the cabinet knobs, most any hardware store has em, or even wall mart.
Old May 02, 2010, 01:34 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,967 Posts
Quote:
I'm in Lake Forest, so if your in WC it's about double that but still not that far. anyway, I bought the cabinet latch at home depo in the section that has all the cabinet knobs, most any hardware store has em, or even wall mart.
Bullfeathers.
He took it off his wife's kitchen wine closet.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old May 03, 2010, 05:56 PM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
Bullfeathers.
He took it off his wife's kitchen wine closet.
Had to take it from the wine closet.........she put a different lock on the gun cabinet
Old May 04, 2010, 08:30 AM
First to go over 106K feet
USA, IA, North Liberty
Joined Mar 2008
2,460 Posts
Anybody has a spare set of NIP wings that I can buy?
Thanks in advance.
Crist Rigotti is offline Find More Posts by Crist Rigotti
Old May 04, 2010, 11:06 AM
"Walk of shame" Master!!!
West Chicago Il
Joined Jul 2004
538 Posts
Today I should be receiving my sky surfer from UPS I'll make sure I take photos to see how well they treated my plane... I'm not sure if I asked this here, but i made the mistake of ordering the plane with a brush set up. So I wanna have it flying with brushless ASAP...what motor that it's closest to the original do you guys recomend?
NoM'rcrashPlease is offline Find More Posts by NoM'rcrashPlease
Old May 04, 2010, 12:02 PM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,489 Posts
I plan on using either a TowerPro 2409-12T or an Emax CF2812 from HeadsUpRC on the unbuilt kit that's still sitting in the box. I have quite a few of the TP2409's in various planes and they work great.
road_rascal is offline Find More Posts by road_rascal
Old May 04, 2010, 12:38 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2008
113 Posts
Is the brushed motor glued in? If so, how do you remove it without butchering
the foam housing?
Alpha35 is offline Find More Posts by Alpha35