HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 15, 2011, 09:49 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugitive_Bill View Post
Those old electric models always used brushed motors, had the RED ESC arming button, 6x to 10x NiMh batteries and NEVER flew - or if they did it was for about 30 seconds!!
I had a nice flying NiCad plane of all things... not even NiMh. It flew for 10 minutes or so on a charge, just loafing around, though. It was called "The Professor" and it did have a geared brushed motor. But modern, brushless technology does not, in itself, preclude an arming button for any reason. They simply don't design one in.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2011, 09:59 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
15,879 Posts
Darwin's PushECat I bought in the late 1990s was my first electric and it pioneered the use of EPP foam. With 8 AA Nicads the plane would stay aloft for 20 minutes. That was long enough for me unless I was in a lawn chair.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 15, 2011, 11:04 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
Uh, I mean like, who da hayull needs any kinda stoopid armin' switch? Not me!
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 15, 2011, 11:17 PM
Joined Dec 2010
6,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Jeee-zuss... SH... Oweee.

You know, the prop is so easy to remove on the SS I'd just do it. One screw, it's done. The Slick, on the other hand, requires a couple of screws for the spinner, careful removal, and then the bolt. Re-mounting it is just the reverse with the added spinner alignment task. But the instructions from 3DHS say to always take the prop off when indoors! Man, talk about being safe and being a pain!
Old Dec 16, 2011, 01:06 AM
John
United States, WA, Mason
Joined Apr 2011
766 Posts
[QUOTE=StarHopper44;20148955]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Consider too, needing to walk out onto the runway to retrieve your landed plane, & others are flying. You sure don't wanta be loitering around out there opening up & disconnecting, so there you are, scurrying off the runway with that live bomb.

As opposed to, walking up, pluck the connector, pick 'er up & walk off with the still-buttoned up plane, safe & secure. As was said, YMMV....but that's my takeaway.

I don't have anything fancy. But on both my planes, I just have the battery hookup (deans) on the outside of the fuselage. Last thing I do before launch is reach down and plug them together. First thing when it lands, is reach down and unplug. Not the prettiest thing, but for me it is functional. -- JOHN
digitalCAM is online now Find More Posts by digitalCAM
Old Dec 16, 2011, 02:08 AM
Joined Aug 2006
264 Posts
Removable tail surfaces

Enjoy

Put a second guiding carbon tube on the fuselage too (forgot to take the picture) to properly route the bolt
jackheli is offline Find More Posts by jackheli
Last edited by jackheli; Dec 16, 2011 at 02:15 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 08:11 AM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
StarHopper
Looks like you got bit by a very large dog.

I don't mind everyone posting injuries from run away propellers. It helps remind me to be careful.

My concern is that a "Save the people" group might try to pass legislation that requires any RC operator to put on leather gloves, sleeves, hard hat, safety glasses, etc. just to keep them from hurting themselves. What fun would that be?
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Dec 16, 2011, 09:45 AM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
StarHopper

I don't mind everyone posting injuries from run away propellers. It helps remind me to be careful.

My concern is that a "Save the people" group might try to pass legislation that requires any RC operator to put on leather gloves, sleeves, hard hat, safety glasses, etc. just to keep them from hurting themselves. What fun would that be?
Don't forget the condom. One can never be too careful!

Ted
G550Ted is offline Find More Posts by G550Ted
Old Dec 16, 2011, 10:40 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
StarHopper

So you're saying, governmental involvement isn't always a good thing?

(And you don't wanna know what they did "for" the Indians!)
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 16, 2011, 01:58 PM
Space is the answer
Australia, VIC, Warneet
Joined Mar 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G550Ted View Post
Don't forget the condom. One can never be too careful!

Ted
Now do we wear this just over the head or the whole body?

SH you have to tell us what they did with the Indian, I mean the Cowboy is just one side of the story we have to have the full picture.

Seriously though how did you incur this level of injury with the prop from the Bixler, I just dont get it, were you trying to shave the hairs off your arm or what.
ozair is offline Find More Posts by ozair
Old Dec 16, 2011, 02:04 PM
Space is the answer
Australia, VIC, Warneet
Joined Mar 2011
368 Posts
On another matter, all you guys that have EZ*'s as well as SkyS's and/or Bixlers' would you say that the airframes and wing geometries of the two are very similar or the same, or are there distinct differences between them. From all the photo's and video's of the 2 planes that I have seen to date they look identical, am I correct in assuming this or not.
ozair is offline Find More Posts by ozair
Old Dec 16, 2011, 02:14 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67A1f View Post
If possible would love to see video of Bixler with MICRODAN.
I think this is the video that Prof100 was referring to. If you go to Utube and look up my videos, you will find the MicroDan used in several planes. (i.e.- Sky Surfer (2), Fun Cub, Easy Star, WildHawk). Basically, if you use this motor, it is almost impossible to want for more power. Vertical for as long as you want can be done at 2/3 throttle. Enjoy....
AJ
Sky Surfer - MicroDan & Landings-editted.mov (4 min 39 sec)
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Dec 16, 2011, 03:06 PM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
5,843 Posts
Anti prop bites. A simple prevention way.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
Old Dec 16, 2011, 03:25 PM
Joined Dec 2010
6,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
Anti prop bites. A simple prevention way.
Well, THERE ya' go! Nice...
Old Dec 16, 2011, 05:17 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozair View Post
On another matter, all you guys that have EZ*'s as well as SkyS's and/or Bixlers' would you say that the airframes and wing geometries of the two are very similar or the same, or are there distinct differences between them. From all the photo's and video's of the 2 planes that I have seen to date they look identical, am I correct in assuming this or not.
Geometries are very similar. The EZ has no ailerons and a smaller rudder that needs to be enlarged. The EZ's foam isn't as smooth as the SkyS but thicker and seems a bit softer. Never weighed either one but the EZ seems heavier.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE