Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 13, 2011, 08:50 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
I took out my Sky Surfer #2 for some practice flights and flying the SkyS again. SkyS #1 is RIP. So, I am down to only 2 more SkyS planes. Also, I am pleased to report that the wings from #1 are now on #3 and I have a spare set of EZ* wings. So, all is well.
AJ

http://youtu.be/ciokPTAE5uU
Nice flying AJ. I see that your arm is better from your smooth launches.

Had me worried on the low cork screw. I probably would have an inverted nose dive.

I just received a new fuse, elevator and tail section from BH. They were nicely packed in 3 wraps of bubble foam and peanuts. Not a dent anywhere. This is the 3rd shipment from them without any damage so my trust in BH is pretty good. I now have a complete set of body parts to use for a modified build.

Vince
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2011, 09:31 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,263 Posts
Quote:
I took out my Sky Surfer #2 for some practice flights and flying the SkyS again. SkyS #1 is RIP. So, I am down to only 2 more SkyS planes. Also, I am pleased to report that the wings from #1 are now on #3 and I have a spare set of EZ* wings. So, all is well.
AJ

http://youtu.be/ciokPTAE5uU

AJ,

I love your flights with the excellent narration!

By the way, I you using your rudder with those rolls?

Bill
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 13, 2011, 10:29 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Rolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
AJ,

I love your flights with the excellent narration!

By the way, I you using your rudder with those rolls?

Bill
Thank you for the compliment.
The roll at the beginning - No. The rest of them, yes. However, I still need to do a mechanical adjustment on the ailerons to accommodate differential like you do with yours. I know I could do it with my 9x radio. But, since I learned from you, I like the mechanical method better. To each his own .....
AJ

Update: Yes. I use the rudder many times for rolls if I want them to look more like a screw going through the air (no loss or gain of the nose of the plane). For snap rolls, I use them less because I want the rolls to "snap" more. Therefore, I build up a bit of speed and bleed off the speed fast enough during the roll that I usually need a small amount of rudder to stall the plane the exact moment that is it completing the last 1/8 of the roll. It creates the "How the heck did he do that?" appearance. IF you try it a few times, you will find out that it is easier than you might think. I do not know why the aerodynamics work that way. But, they have for many, many rolls like that.
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Last edited by ajbaker; Dec 14, 2011 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Typo
Old Dec 13, 2011, 10:32 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limited flyer View Post
Nice flight as always. I've often wondered why you never got the HK version of the sky s
Oops. I almost missed you post and question. I got all 3 of my SkyS planes many months before HK even thought about carrying the Bixler. Now that my SkyS #1 is RIP, I might get a Bixler. But, it seems like 2 SkyS planes should be enough for anyone (well, except for 2500GENE who thinks a 6-pack is half a dozen Bixlers).
AJ
Old Dec 13, 2011, 10:44 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,263 Posts
Quote:
Thank you for the compliment.
The roll at the beginning - No. The rest of them, yes. However, I still need to do a mechanical adjustment on the ailerons to accommodate differential like you do with yours. I know I could do it with my 9x radio. But, since I learned from you, it like the mechanical method better. To each his own .....
AJ
AJ,

Thanks, because your rolls are pretty quick.

Mechanical aileron differential is just too simple and it doesn't require using up a channel on the receiver.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 13, 2011, 11:08 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
Nice flying AJ. I see that your arm is better from your smooth launches.

Had me worried on the low cork screw. I probably would have an inverted nose dive.

I just received a new fuse, elevator and tail section from BH. They were nicely packed in 3 wraps of bubble foam and peanuts. Not a dent anywhere. This is the 3rd shipment from them without any damage so my trust in BH is pretty good. I now have a complete set of body parts to use for a modified build.

Vince
Actually, my right arm (used for launching) has nothing to do with the left arm which is what had the rotator cuff surgery. My left arm is still only about 20% usable. Mostly, I fly and drive with only one arm (right). Since I use a neck strap (harness) for my transmitter, I really only need my left thumb for all the flying and aerobatics that I do. Having hardly any use of my left arm has no effect on anything to do with flying.

I am more than a little pleased about the SkyS parts that you got from BH. There are so many thousands of negative posts about them that is is nice to read your positive post. I am optimistic that they will continue getting better (fingers crossed). Anyhow, thanks for the feedback.
AJ

BTW- I was flying 3 days after the surgery (thanks to the help of a LOT of pain pills & morphine)
Old Dec 14, 2011, 12:09 AM
Space is the answer
Australia, VIC, Warneet
Joined Mar 2011
368 Posts
To AJ and Prof, when you guys set up the aileron differential mechanically what up and down throws do you set?
ozair is offline Find More Posts by ozair
Old Dec 14, 2011, 03:52 AM
Barcelona, Spain
Joined May 2010
149 Posts
Could anyone suggest a folding propeller for the HK bixler? (better if its from HK itself).

Thanks!
flipy is offline Find More Posts by flipy
Old Dec 14, 2011, 06:05 AM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,156 Posts
Yeah, I'd like a 6x4 APC prop too, but I can't find anything at Hobby King that will fit the bill either. If anyone spots a prop for the Bixler let me know too.
B!
Fugitive_Bill is online now Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old Dec 14, 2011, 06:39 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozair View Post
To AJ and Prof, when you guys set up the aileron differential mechanically what up and down throws do you set?
Down throw is roughly half of the up throw. The mechanical method is simple. Just remove the aileron servo arms, center servos with radio on, reattach servo arms so they are angled forward about 45 degrees. Readjust (i.e., lengthen) pushrods to aileron neutral position.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2011, 11:29 AM
Space is the answer
Australia, VIC, Warneet
Joined Mar 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugitive_Bill View Post
Yeah, I'd like a 6x4 APC prop too, but I can't find anything at Hobby King that will fit the bill either. If anyone spots a prop for the Bixler let me know too.
B!
Try this one from HK, I have been using them for over a year and they are really good.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...propeller.html
Old Dec 14, 2011, 11:33 AM
Space is the answer
Australia, VIC, Warneet
Joined Mar 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipy View Post
Could anyone suggest a folding propeller for the HK bixler? (better if its from HK itself).

Thanks!
I dont know why you want a folding prop but if you do then try this one from HK

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...y_hub_6x4.html
Old Dec 14, 2011, 11:35 AM
Space is the answer
Australia, VIC, Warneet
Joined Mar 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Down throw is roughly half of the up throw. The mechanical method is simple. Just remove the aileron servo arms, center servos with radio on, reattach servo arms so they are angled forward about 45 degrees. Readjust (i.e., lengthen) pushrods to aileron neutral position.
Thanks Bill, I will try this on my next flight but I will just use a mix on my Er9x and go from there.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 03:38 PM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipy View Post

Thanks!
Hang on, I've never tried it, but surely a folding prop wont work on pusher set-up such as the SkySurfer/Bixler?

OZAIR, thanks for the tip on the prop, I'll be grabbing a couple of those on my next order.
Amazing, something I need that HK actually have in stock for a change!

Are you still using the stock motor and prop adapter - my question being that the prop you suggested will need reaming/drilling out to
fit the weird stock prop adapter wont it?

-B!
Fugitive_Bill is online now Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old Dec 14, 2011, 05:51 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozair View Post
I dont know why you want a folding prop but if you do then try this one from HK

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...y_hub_6x4.html
If you (or someone else) is going to use a folder then make sure it fold the right way for the application.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=TPRM2RRwYIA
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Last edited by 2500GENE; Dec 14, 2011 at 06:00 PM.