HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 12, 2011, 08:27 AM
Bill
United States, NE, La Vista
Joined Jul 2007
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
I started in 1954 with the Jim Walker's Firebaby (u-control) powered by an O.K. Cub .049. It was tough to get started but it was sure fast. My first RC plane was a Dick's Dream single channel with an Ace Commander radio (wig wag servos). I still have a couple of servos from those days. See pics below.
Wow. We are way off topic. But, I guess as long as no one complains, a walk through nostalgia once in a while is fun.
AJ
1954, the year I was born. 1968, the year I flew my first Galloping Ghost equipped Goldberg model plane. I started before then with Free Flight Rubber stick and tissue models. The "motor power" for the Galloping Ghost was a rubber band. Rudder only and you could fly straight or left or right turn. The rudder always wagged, even when flying straight.
HiFlyer371 is offline Find More Posts by HiFlyer371
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2011, 12:00 PM
Flanders, NJ USA
Joined Jan 2001
237 Posts
Maiden Videos...

Well the Maiden was boring as I was trimming, so here's the 2nd flight. Max is filming and Dave was my wingman.

Flying:
SkySurfer with MicroDAN 2505 "Custom" 2535Kv Motor 3s 2100mAh - Flying (2 min 0 sec)

Landing:
SkySurfer with MicroDAN 2505 "Custom" 2535Kv Motor 3s 2100mAh - Landing (0 min 15 sec)

Set up is:
MicroDAN 2505 "Custom" 2535Kv Motor
APC 6x4 Sport
ThunderPower 3s 2100mAh 25C Battery (G6 ProLite)
AirBoss 35A esc (with 6v to rx)
4 x HS55

I did the usual reinforcement mods and plane needed 2oz of lead in the nose to balance at 60mm (original slug was removed from the nose).

I'm thinking I'd like to try a 4s battery since it would work out to be about 2 oz heavier. My only issue is the Airboss 35 is only rated for 3s. I do have a brandy new Airboss 45 at home slated for another project. I could use it to try out the 4S set up and it would also give me some headroom for the 34-ish amps that set-up would draw (according to microDan's webpage). My thought is I can get more performance at WOT and keep the weight about the same by being able to remove the nose lead.

Thoughts?

On a side note I'm very happy with the plane so far. Big thanks goes to AJ and mircoDan for the guidance and support.
NickBee is offline Find More Posts by NickBee
Old Dec 12, 2011, 12:11 PM
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Nov 2009
653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Well, all this reminiscin' almost brings me to tears. My 1st foray into the sport was in U-Control too. Only, we was so poor my plane consisted of a June Bug with a piece of Mom's sewing thread tied around one of his legs.
And believe it or not....that is absolutely true!
I used to do that when I was a kid visiting my grandparents in Europe during the summer. Those June Bugs were everywhere. So I guess I got into flying a little younger than I originally thought.
sotog is offline Find More Posts by sotog
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 12, 2011, 01:26 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
I started with Stratos, Stunt Flyers, Skeeters, and Sleek Streeks. My Sleek Streek came in second among a bevy of Testor Skyhawks in an endurance contest, and the following year the teacher recommended everyone buy a Sleek Streek instead of the Testor. The Skyhawk tended to tear off its gear when landing on anything other than a paved surface. Sleek Streek flew well except when the rubber band would detach itself from the rear hook and hang down by the front hook (The prop shaft), making the plane hugely noseheavy and messing up the glide.

First R/C was a Top Flite Schoolboy with an Ace Commander transmitter, a super-regen receiver and a Citizenship SE-2 compound escapement, and a TD .020 with a fixed throttle sleeve. Had a number of good flights with it, until one day I took off the throttle sleeve. It was last seen heading up for the east foothills in San Jose.

A number of free-flight gliders, then a Junior Falcon with a Citizenship SSH superhet receiver and a Rand actuator, the basic Galloping Ghost setup. Covered with Silron, plane was amazingly sturdy. Designed a two-axis stick for the modified Commander transmitter out of the ball from a roll-on deodorant bottle. That worked, but not well enough, so got a Pulse Commander.

Then a Schoolmaster with two OS single-channel servos (electric servos that acted like escapements). My first plane ever build completely with a brand-new product called Five Minute Epoxy from Devcon. It lasted half a flight, but the servos still worked afterward.

Then a Midwest TriSquire with the very first Heathkit five-channel digital RC, with the couble-deck receiver, clamshell transmitter, and Kraft KPS-9 servos (variable capacitor). Super Tigre .23 engine. It was heavy, but flew, with 3 channels.

Digital all the way after that.
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
Old Dec 12, 2011, 01:52 PM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,516 Posts
I don't like to brag about it but my real name is Al. Al Gore that is, and I invented Radio Control.
jrjr is offline Find More Posts by jrjr
Old Dec 12, 2011, 02:12 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrjr View Post
I don't like to brag about it but my real name is Al. Al Gore that is, and I invented Radio Control.
I'm a raging liberal, but Gore can be a dope.

I actually met one of the inventors of the Arpanet... Dick Bolt of Bolt, Beranek and Newman (BBN). My business partner and I had dinner with him a few times in the late 80's. He lived out in the mid-west so we lost touch. He was one sharp old dude. I don't think Gore could have done it!
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Dec 12, 2011, 02:28 PM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrjr View Post
I thought that he invented CB radio. Oops sorry that was Al Gross whom I met once when he came to London to initiat the start of the UK CB. I was deeply involved as I was at the time writing a monthly column in a magazine. I ended up taking him around London in my cab to the places that he visited on that day.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2011, 03:29 PM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Sorry
Limited flyer is offline Find More Posts by Limited flyer
Last edited by Limited flyer; Dec 12, 2011 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Did it wrong
Old Dec 12, 2011, 03:42 PM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
http://vimeo.com/user9579203/videos/sort:date
Hope i did this right.Just two mouse clicks and you'll see it.
Last edited by Limited flyer; Dec 12, 2011 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Correction
Old Dec 12, 2011, 04:45 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,429 Posts
Here is a blast from 40 plus years ago--

Min X RC Transmitter from 1963. This transmitter cost $167.00 48 years ago. This transmitter was sold as a 10 channel because movement in each direction was counted as a channel (two channels required to move the elevator up and down). Notice all the buttons required to operate the aircraft
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A123 2S 2500 mah wiring diagram
Old Dec 12, 2011, 04:53 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Here is a blast from 40 plus years ago--

Min X RC Transmitter from 1963. This transmitter cost $167.00 48 years ago. This transmitter was sold as a 10 channel because movement in each direction was counted as a channel (two channels required to move the elevator up and down). Notice all the buttons required to operate the aircraft
Quite the bargain. $167 in 1963 is equivalent to $1,235.70 in today's dollars. The knob to dollar ratio may be about the same though.

Dang, Prof. You were old even back then!

Ted
G550Ted is offline Find More Posts by G550Ted
Old Dec 12, 2011, 04:55 PM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limited flyer View Post
http://.com/user9579203/videos/sort:date
Hope i did this right.Just two mouse clicks and you'll see it.
Could someone tell me if i did this right
Old Dec 12, 2011, 05:02 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G550Ted View Post
Quite the bargain. $167 in 1963 is equivalent to $1,235.70 in today's dollars. The knob to dollar ratio may be about the same though.

Dang, Prof. You were old even back then!

Ted
Ted,

Hey, I resemble that remark.

The gentleman holding the radio is one of our flying club members. It isn't me. He bought it new and never had the nerve to use it. The TX was shown at one of club meetings.

Bill
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A123 2S 2500 mah wiring diagram
Old Dec 12, 2011, 05:18 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limited flyer View Post
Could someone tell me if i did this right
It works. Could have done this..

Untitled (9 min 51 sec)
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Dec 12, 2011, 07:25 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFlyer371 View Post
1954, the year I was born. 1968, the year I flew my first Galloping Ghost equipped Goldberg model plane. I started before then with Free Flight Rubber stick and tissue models. The "motor power" for the Galloping Ghost was a rubber band. Rudder only and you could fly straight or left r right turn. The rudder always wagged, even when flying straight.
HiFlyer
We had similar backgrounds. Born 1953. Started to fly the small balsa gliders around 1960 then moved into the rubber band powered like you. Had a P40 and a Spitfire gas cox engine type that were tethered and flew in circles in the late 60's. Got dizzy like someone mentioned earlier.

Then got interested in Ham Radio and left the flying hobby for a different type of radio fun. I got my interest back to flying planes a few years ago but didn't have the dough to buy any type of RC. Finally broke down and got a Skysurfer from BH earlier this year.

I'm happy to be back to this sport and am grateful for all of the great ideas and comradery that is in this forum. Gotta thank AJ for keeping it both informative and fun.

Vince
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202