Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 05, 2011, 08:18 PM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
What kind of spray paint are you guys using to paint the SS foam???
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2011, 10:26 PM
Joined Feb 2011
555 Posts
Hey Guys,
I am looking for a motor for my Bixler. Can someone please help me figure out what would be the best motor for my specific requirements? I need it for FPV and would like to get something that can comfortably fly all that extra weight... but at the same token I want good run time out of it. What would be a good choice??
Thanks fellas!
AVIATION_RULZ is offline Find More Posts by AVIATION_RULZ
Old Dec 05, 2011, 11:37 PM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,140 Posts
Avi Rulz,

'Ajbaker' suggested a motor just few pages back on page#751, Post#11255

https://www.leaderhobby.com/product....=9394001224084

And tend to agree with him, looks like right motor to use to me and the price is right too!
When (not if, WHEN!) my stock motor fails, I'll get one of those or similar.

B!
Fugitive_Bill is online now Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old Dec 06, 2011, 01:45 AM
Joined Feb 2011
555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugitive_Bill View Post
Avi Rulz,

'Ajbaker' suggested a motor just few pages back on page#751, Post#11255

https://www.leaderhobby.com/product....=9394001224084

And tend to agree with him, looks like right motor to use to me and the price is right too!
When (not if, WHEN!) my stock motor fails, I'll get one of those or similar.

B!
Yea, I saw that too.... I was hoping to go with a outrunner though.
AVIATION_RULZ is offline Find More Posts by AVIATION_RULZ
Old Dec 06, 2011, 05:10 AM
Space is the answer
Australia, VIC, Warneet
Joined Mar 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVIATION_RULZ View Post
Yea, I saw that too.... I was hoping to go with a outrunner though.
Go for this one http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...6&productname=

Plenty of power and cheap.

Just be patient with thier website its very sloooow.
ozair is offline Find More Posts by ozair
Old Dec 06, 2011, 08:17 PM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Just joined rc groups, been a leecher for at least 8 months
now, want to say thank you for all of your tips and tricks.
Limited flyer is offline Find More Posts by Limited flyer
Old Dec 06, 2011, 08:23 PM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
HELLO ALL , just wanted to say your a great bunch of people
I learned about 80% of what i know today from you fine folk,
Thanks a bunch
Old Dec 06, 2011, 08:28 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limited flyer View Post
HELLO ALL , just wanted to say your a great bunch of people
I learned about 80% of what i know today from you fine folk,
Thanks a bunch
Good, that's what this forum is all about. Now, it's time for you to post some pictures of your Skysurfer.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2011, 08:37 PM
Fly Like A Thing Posessed!
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2010
1,777 Posts
Hey all,

I've been flying an FPV EasyStar for months and months now and when the Bixler suddenly showed up in HobbyKing ads, I got sucked in right away. I just haven't actually broken and spent the money to get one, but tonight while shopping on HK for LiPo packs, I saw it again and saw the price and I'm like aieeeeee cravings galore.

So... My poor EasyStar is putting up with me like a champ but she's had a LOT of bashings... and I've been thinking a lot about the layout I have going and how much I'd like to start over with a new plane that I can set up a little more properly on the first go. I really want to go for it, but I want to ask some questions first.

1) I LOVE aileron planes, always have. If I get this Bixler, can I set it up for just ailerons and leave the rudder fixed? The reason I ask is because I'd like to devote the rudder stick to camera pan, and thus I need to drop one or the other and half my point of getting this plane is to have ailerons.

2) I thought I read somewhere that the nose cavity is roomier than on the EasyStar... Is this true? If so, then OMG that would be great... Mine is pretty packed. Can I get some idea how much bigger, out of curiosity?

3) How does the strength of the foam compare to the Elapor used in the Multiplex planes? Will it take a beating like I'm used to dishing out to my EZ?

4) How exactly do ailerons work on a plane like this? I thought I read that it was a three channel plane, and I don't know how that works out with four servos. I'm only used to the EZ with its rudder and elevator and the Xen Falcon with its two elevons. Do the aileron servos run on a splitter off one channel and are then laid out in opposing directions?

5) Where's the best place to get one of these planes? I'm wanting the very most basic kit with the lowest price possible. I'll be using my own parts where needed, and I don't need really any of the electronics. Should I just go ahead and get it from HK, or can I get a better deal elsewhere? I live in the USA, btw, in Florida.

6) Almost an afterthought - how is aileron response on this plane? I modified an EZ* model in RealFlight G4 and flew it with aileron and elevator only, with very hot rates and throws, and wowwwwwww WONDERFUL compared to the rudder and elevator original model. Maneuvers like a rabid demon with a strong motor on it, really great. Am I setting myself up for disappointment, or can it truly outperform a non-aileron, rudder enhanced EZ* while providing that wicked smooth turning and rolling that comes with ailerons?

That's all I know to ask... This, if I do it, will be Christmas to self, and I'll be building it to be my workhorse FPV plane. I spent almost my entire experience with RC planes, experimenting with the EZ* and made a lot of mistakes along the way. This one, I want to do right. :-)

Thanks for any help, and also your patience!

Rick NR417
NightRunner417 is offline Find More Posts by NightRunner417
Old Dec 06, 2011, 08:54 PM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Not yet, my bird is ugly, with a f in front of ugly {bad paint job} have another one in the box.
Took me two copies to learn how to fly it right. Had to many seen it

on u tube moments, {lots of crashes}First one was fixed 3 different times
second one is in a kit with old parts used.
Old Dec 06, 2011, 09:18 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightRunner417 View Post
Hey all,

I've been flying an FPV EasyStar for months and months now and when the Bixler suddenly showed up in HobbyKing ads, I got sucked in right away. I just haven't actually broken and spent the money to get one, but tonight while shopping on HK for LiPo packs, I saw it again and saw the price and I'm like aieeeeee cravings galore.

So... My poor EasyStar is putting up with me like a champ but she's had a LOT of bashings... and I've been thinking a lot about the layout I have going and how much I'd like to start over with a new plane that I can set up a little more properly on the first go. I really want to go for it, but I want to ask some questions first.

1) I LOVE aileron planes, always have. If I get this Bixler, can I set it up for just ailerons and leave the rudder fixed? The reason I ask is because I'd like to devote the rudder stick to camera pan, and thus I need to drop one or the other and half my point of getting this plane is to have ailerons. YES, IT WILL FLY FINE WITH JUST AILERONS

2) I thought I read somewhere that the nose cavity is roomier than on the EasyStar... Is this true? If so, then OMG that would be great... Mine is pretty packed. Can I get some idea how much bigger, out of curiosity? YES, THE V1 SKYSURFER IS THE HK BIXLER. IT IS VERY ROOMY.

3) How does the strength of the foam compare to the Elapor used in the Multiplex planes? Will it take a beating like I'm used to dishing out to my EZ? ABOUT THE SAME SINCE THE BIXLER / SKYSURFER IS MADE FROM EPO.

4) How exactly do ailerons work on a plane like this? I thought I read that it was a three channel plane, and I don't know how that works out with four servos. I'm only used to the EZ with its rudder and elevator and the Xen Falcon with its two elevons. Do the aileron servos run on a splitter off one channel and are then laid out in opposing directions? THE BIXLER IS 4 CHANNEL.

5) Where's the best place to get one of these planes? I'm wanting the very most basic kit with the lowest price possible. I'll be using my own parts where needed, and I don't need really any of the electronics. Should I just go ahead and get it from HK, or can I get a better deal elsewhere? I live in the USA, btw, in Florida. YOU WANT THE V1 OF THE PLANE AND IT IS SOLD BY HOBBYKING.

6) Almost an afterthought - how is aileron response on this plane? I modified an EZ* model in RealFlight G4 and flew it with aileron and elevator only, with very hot rates and throws, and wowwwwwww WONDERFUL compared to the rudder and elevator original model. Maneuvers like a rabid demon with a strong motor on it, really great. Am I setting myself up for disappointment, or can it truly outperform a non-aileron, rudder enhanced EZ* while providing that wicked smooth turning and rolling that comes with ailerons? IT WILL PERFORM AXIAL ROLLS. I HAVE ADDED AILERON DIFFERENTIAL TO SMOOTH THE ROLLS.

That's all I know to ask... This, if I do it, will be Christmas to self, and I'll be building it to be my workhorse FPV plane. I spent almost my entire experience with RC planes, experimenting with the EZ* and made a lot of mistakes along the way. This one, I want to do right. :-)

Rick NR417
Rick, see bold above.

Bill
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2011, 12:09 AM
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Nov 2011
109 Posts
Received my SS today!

Sky Surfer KIT
1 ea. OSD Camera Plate
1 ea. HB2815-2000/TB36/APC 6x4e Combo (Easy Star/Sky Surfer/Twin Star)
2 ea. RMRC 2200mAh 3S 35C Lipo Pack
3 ea. ReadyMadeRC 3 Inch Sticker

Hi all, I've been reading this forum for the past couple of weeks "up to around page 300!" while waiting for my plane to arrive. Without info and support like this I would not have attempted this project so thanks for all the info so far and to come. That being said after opening and inspecting my new plane I placed the motor in its bed and closed the two halves together. I noticed that the motor had an obvious starboard incidence. I don't recall reading anywhere yet that mentioned this. Looking at other pictures it appears that the motor is in line with the center of the fuse? I should add that I received a V1. My intention is to use this for FPV. Does the motor/esc/battery choice I have made seem ok to those that know? I intend to purchase a BEC.

Thanks
Jeff
jeffgiff is offline Find More Posts by jeffgiff
Old Dec 07, 2011, 04:19 AM
Joined Aug 2009
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffgiff View Post
Sky Surfer KIT
1 ea. OSD Camera Plate
1 ea. HB2815-2000/TB36/APC 6x4e Combo (Easy Star/Sky Surfer/Twin Star)
2 ea. RMRC 2200mAh 3S 35C Lipo Pack
3 ea. ReadyMadeRC 3 Inch Sticker

Hi all, I've been reading this forum for the past couple of weeks "up to around page 300!" while waiting for my plane to arrive. Without info and support like this I would not have attempted this project so thanks for all the info so far and to come. That being said after opening and inspecting my new plane I placed the motor in its bed and closed the two halves together. I noticed that the motor had an obvious starboard incidence. I don't recall reading anywhere yet that mentioned this. Looking at other pictures it appears that the motor is in line with the center of the fuse? I should add that I received a V1. My intention is to use this for FPV. Does the motor/esc/battery choice I have made seem ok to those that know? I intend to purchase a BEC.

Thanks
Jeff
whats with the stickers?

either way, why pay so much for that motor, get the one which is the inrunner mentioned recently that is 2200kv, https://www.leaderhobby.com/product....=9394001224084 or http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...6&productname= . it will give you that extra umph when you need it.

seems like this one https://www.leaderhobby.com/product....=9394001224084 might beable to take a 4S lipo.
eccvets is offline Find More Posts by eccvets
Old Dec 07, 2011, 04:43 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,053 Posts
Quote:
Hey all,

1) I LOVE aileron planes, always have. If I get this Bixler, can I set it up for just ailerons and leave the rudder fixed? The reason I ask is because I'd like to devote the rudder stick to camera pan, and thus I need to drop one or the other and half my point of getting this plane is to have ailerons.

2) I thought I read somewhere that the nose cavity is roomier than on the EasyStar... Is this true? If so, then OMG that would be great... Mine is pretty packed. Can I get some idea how much bigger, out of curiosity?

3) How does the strength of the foam compare to the Elapor used in the Multiplex planes? Will it take a beating like I'm used to dishing out to my EZ?

4) How exactly do ailerons work on a plane like this? I thought I read that it was a three channel plane, and I don't know how that works out with four servos. I'm only used to the EZ with its rudder and elevator and the Xen Falcon with its two elevons. Do the aileron servos run on a splitter off one channel and are then laid out in opposing directions?

5) Where's the best place to get one of these planes? I'm wanting the very most basic kit with the lowest price possible. I'll be using my own parts where needed, and I don't need really any of the electronics. Should I just go ahead and get it from HK, or can I get a better deal elsewhere? I live in the USA, btw, in Florida.

6) Almost an afterthought - how is aileron response on this plane? I modified an EZ* model in RealFlight G4 and flew it with aileron and elevator only, with very hot rates and throws, and wowwwwwww WONDERFUL compared to the rudder and elevator original model. Maneuvers like a rabid demon with a strong motor on it, really great. Am I setting myself up for disappointment, or can it truly outperform a non-aileron, rudder enhanced EZ* while providing that wicked smooth turning and rolling that comes with ailerons?

Rick NR417
Rick. I would ask you "how often do you use the pan?" I have decided that if I were to rebuild, I would not bother with pan as I do not use it much.
The rudder could be usefull at times. If you ever got into an aileron spin. The rudder will get you out of it.
Also with a bit of mixed in rudder with ailerons helps in the turn.
The Bix ailerons work OK and as said I have rudder mixed in.
The ailerons can go on a splitter cable and into the aileron channel of the
RX.

From what I have been told, the EPO is not as tough as The Elpour EZ* .
Yes there is more room in the Bix as the space goes back into the body.
I have just received another EZ* Crissy present. There was a
Uk dealer selling them off cheap so I just had to get one. (I will have 3 now).
The finish of the Bix is smoother than the EZ* as there are no 'pimples' I don't think that there is much difference in the flight cariture of both models.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
Last edited by Flypoppa; Dec 07, 2011 at 04:50 AM.
Old Dec 07, 2011, 04:58 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,616 Posts
Quote:
...That's all I know to ask... This, if I do it, will be Christmas to self, and I'll be building it to be my workhorse FPV plane. I spent almost my entire experience with RC planes, experimenting with the EZ* and made a lot of mistakes along the way. This one, I want to do right. :-)

Rick NR417
Hi Rick, & welcome to the board.

One of our members recently started a new forum dedicated specifically to FPV using this line of planes. Might do you some good to check it out:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...sky+surfer+fpv
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member