Old Dec 02, 2011, 07:03 AM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
jrjr

While i had full intention of installing the 4 mm rod i got delayed. One of my flying buddies mentioned using a metal tube or stranded wire instead since he had performed the 4 mm rod modification and they both broke after a drastic pull out from a loop. I just read about a similar mishap on the Blixer FPV thread were both rods broke when guy1a's plane his a water sprinkler.

I let him know I had installed a 5 stranded #20 awg wire rod into my 6 mm rod. Made it myself by folding a longer piece of wire 4 times and then twisting the the bundle a couple times. Then wrapped the spare length of wire at both ends to keep the stranded bundle together.

While i haven't put it to the true test the idea is that if the 6 mm rod breaks the stranded wire inside will not allow the wings to fold (flap maybe ) but maintain some rigidity so the plane could be safely landed instead of nose dive.

I will get back to everyone to let them know if this "mod" really works or not.

Vince
Maybe I live in a cave but this is the first I have heard about anyone snapping a spar that has had the inner cf tube installed. If in doubt, use a rod instead.

If what you are talking about is a copper wire, you are paying a dear price in weight without gaining that much strength. Copper has to be approaching lead in mass to weight ratio. Its also very soft and it bends easily.

BUT if it works for you.... so be it and the best of luck!
jrjr is online now Find More Posts by jrjr
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2011, 08:22 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrjr View Post
Maybe I live in a cave but this is the first I have heard about anyone snapping a spar that has had the inner cf tube installed. If in doubt, use a rod instead.

If what you are talking about is a copper wire, you are paying a dear price in weight without gaining that much strength. Copper has to be approaching lead in mass to weight ratio. Its also very soft and it bends easily.

BUT if it works for you.... so be it and the best of luck!
Hear hear! My thoughts exactly re copper's weight & "stiffness". I just couldn't figure it....but who knows - he might have something we never dreamed of. Anyway, it's his bear to cross!

Oh, one other thought. Re hitting a sprinkler & the spar (reinforced) breaking? Dood, you can't equate something breaking in a crash with a mod that's supposed to keep the wings from breaking in the air. In impact tech, anything's up for damage!
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2011, 08:31 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,545 Posts
Hobbyist's Tool Tip!

♫♪Santa Claus is coming....♪♫
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A li'l sump'n sump'n for you scale-size Tim Taylors out there!....
I picked up a small cordless screwdriver recently that I have already used far more than I anticipated at point-of-purchase. In fact, used it to attach every fastener on my P2K! (And it has LOTS of them!)

For those of you with access to a Lowes store, they (mine at least) have put out some 'end cap displays' of "Gifts Under $##" and this one is in the 'Under $10' banner. It's made, or more accurately, imported & distributed by General Tools with their branding -- includes hex-shanked bits for #0 & #1 Phillips, 1/8 & 1/16" Flat, and T5 & T6 Torx screws; even includes the 2 AAA batteries to power it; the package says for '8+ Hours of Power'. It has a surprising amount of torque (features 'Super-Torque Drive', probably meaning it's geared), turns ~100rpm unloaded, and it's slightly less than a Magic Marker in diameter & under 7" long so will easily fit into most any toolkit without crowding. I also see on the package where it's received a Popular Mechanics 'Editors Choice' Award with a '10' rating.

It states it has a 1/8" drive (bit size), and I calipered a couple of the bit shanks yesterday - they come in at ~2.9mm. I plan to grind the back end of a couple of the bits to shave them down to the 2.5mm size to fit the 3mm Socket Hd screws, so I can use the driver to quickly install (& remove) the P2K's wing at the airfield - an otherwise 10-15minute chore!

I quickly came to just LOVE this little tool for the work-saving, its handiness and utiity so much I wanted to share its availability -- and heartily recommend it as a practical 'must have' for us hobbyists! It's the UltraTECH Model 500 Cordless Precision Screwdriver, & below (picture) is the package to look for.

And least it be asked or thought, I have no connection to this product nor its distributer, other than as a very satisfied customer! And for only 10 bucks - DOUBLE satisfied!

You know how it seems every time you find a product you really like, when you want another they have been replaced, obsoleted, company's out of business, no longer made, or otherwise departed this world? Monday I went back a bought a couple more of these li'l jewels -- like it that much!
Merry Christmas!
~S*H
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2011, 09:10 AM
United States, PA, Levittown
Joined Sep 2011
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le_optimistic View Post
Alright guys, thanks for the update. I will definitely shop for some 4mm carbon rods. Will 5 minute epoxy work to get the rods secured within the spar?

I saw the flipping wings video, I never would have thought that the spar can split like that. Maybe someone should tell the flitetest crew about it since it's a product that they stand behind and they never mentioned it as a problem.

To be honest, I'm starting to feel that the Skysurfer might not be the best first plane a total beginner can get. Without checking out this thread, I might be in for a tough maiden or end up with broken wings. Maybe this hobby needs more foolproof begnner rtfs other than the parkzone offerings. I'm just thankful that I like to learn about the technical stuff that goes into electrical rc planes.
Please don't be discouraged! While I've spent FAR more time modding than flying, I'm an engineer and its kinda my thing. That said, when I finally got the plane in the air, I couldn't believe how docile the plane. Being completely new to flying, I didn't realize how little throttle was needed to keep this plane in the air and controllable (with an APC 6x4 prop). That ability to fly at slow speeds really seems to make it easier to learn the to control the plane. As far as fixing and modding goes, I have a Dynam Icanfly also, so believe me when I say that there are far worse beginner planes out there.
the_vagabond is offline Find More Posts by the_vagabond
Old Dec 02, 2011, 10:26 AM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
...I wanted to share its availability -- and heartily recommend it as a practical 'must have' for us hobbyists! It's the UltraTECH Model 500 Cordless Precision Screwdriver, & below (picture) is the package to look for.

~S*H
Hey SH!
Thanks for the tip!
I'm heading for Lowes in a few hours to grab one!

Mac
...a new Bixler owner...
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Old Dec 02, 2011, 11:09 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Nov 2011
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
It's a fine beginners design if properly manufactured. Then it's called the Multiplex EasyStar.

Seriously, it's a shame that in the race to bring the price down, they cut just a couple too many corners. The shoddy spar and the flimsy control horns being the two obvious ones. The rest are probably not a real problem, provided all the servos do work when you try them.
Ok... I'm going shopping with my dad tomorrow. Looks like I'll add control horns and clevises to the list... Hopefully, the servos won't fail on me... I just tested the electronics and they look to be in good condition. If anything happens to the servos, I hope my LHS stands behind their products!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtoguy View Post
I have four pilots: myself, my son, my son-in-law, and and my brother-in-law... I manage the fleet. Pretty cool when we all fly together. No mid-airs yet with the sky surfers, but we've had a few with our Yak55's. You'll like the Velcro setup.
Paul
I wish you more great flying and no crashes with your family squadron! It's great to have a family that has the same hobby. Hope to sucker in my dad and brother into the hobby My brother loves RC and even tried the FMS simulator. However, he got really turned off when he saw how much I was reading on RCGroups I think he thought that the learning curve is too steep with these products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landiin View Post
My son learned to fly RC with this plane without any of these mobs, it is a great 1st plane. Granted once he got to where he could fly eights in a tight pattern I had to put some rubber bands on the wings. By that time they where moving around quite a bit.

If you plan on doing acrobats and speed flying, yes you will need to do these mods; spar and wing attachment mods at the very least.
Thanks for the heads up. I will definitely get these mods done. As for the other mods. Well, I'll get the required parts and do the mods as parts break

Quote:
Originally Posted by ua3xds View Post
Vietnamese bought a tractor kit from Russia.
They clamed that they had a problem assembling it after a month time. So the Russian expert goes there to check things out.
- We tried to assemble the tractor a number of times but it always came out to be a tank.
- OK! Did you read the instruction?
- Yes every time we strictly follow the instruction.
- Well, you always do not read to the very end. See what it sais here in the very last line: ‘Finish it up with a rough file after assembly’
Haha. I really laughed at this one. That said, a russian tank with engines like the T-34 has should have the enough torque and power for farmwork... or were the vietnamese thinking civilian irregular defence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
I wonder what it is about these Chinese model manufacturers who disgrace their products with clevises and control horns - parts that are SO critical to the success of these airplanes - by using such cheap and flimsy parts on them. I truly do. And that is something that seems endemic among them. I've been building my new Phoenix 2000, and the clevises that are supplied would be stronger if they were made of cheese, quite frankly. One arrived with the pin already broken off, two others broke before I'd turned them one revolution in removing them, and the last of the four was warped beyond any ability to fasten onto the horn. Oddly enough, it came off in one piece. Warped, yes, but still intact.

It's disgusting, really. If they're gonna cut corners to keep the price down, why on something that costs mere pennies, anyway? It just doesn't make sense to so cheapen products that they crow about being so proud they designed and built. No sense at all!
It always makes sense to cut costs, especially since we keep buying from them and they might feel that the fall in sales is inconsequential to saving many, many pennies. There also seem to be no way to feedback to them regarding these issues.... That said, seeing a version 2 even appear might be an indication that they do want to improve the product, while trying to stay within cost constraints of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_vagabond View Post
Please don't be discouraged! While I've spent FAR more time modding than flying, I'm an engineer and its kinda my thing. That said, when I finally got the plane in the air, I couldn't believe how docile the plane. Being completely new to flying, I didn't realize how little throttle was needed to keep this plane in the air and controllable (with an APC 6x4 prop). That ability to fly at slow speeds really seems to make it easier to learn the to control the plane. As far as fixing and modding goes, I have a Dynam Icanfly also, so believe me when I say that there are far worse beginner planes out there.
Looks like I'm about to head down this path as well! Except, I haven't done any modding yet, just reading and watching RC videos alone! My goal at the end of this hobby is a fully souped up RC Lander F-16. Not giving up on that just yet, but it looks a little further away then I imagined the RC journey to be. Some guys on a local forum said they reached advanced edf status in 6 months... Well, we'll see about my progress when I'm put through the Skysurfer.
Le_optimistic is offline Find More Posts by Le_optimistic
Old Dec 02, 2011, 11:16 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Nov 2011
24 Posts
Shopping list

Just one more thing, here's my shopping list. Do I need to add anything to the build?

1. 4mm carbon rod/tube. (I think I want the rod as it's solid so it should have more strength. I'm guessing weight is a non-issue.

2. 3M extreme packing tape/ Cross weave pattern tape. For belly, nose, and area under wings where the spar lies.

3. Deans connector for charging wires (My skysurfer came with deans connector ESC and the batteries I bought at the LHS had this connector too.)

4. Control horns

5. Clevises

6. Velcro sheets/ strips (3M dual lock type) for removable wing mod. If I can't find 3M stuff, what's a good alternative?

7. Heat shrink tubing

Optional:
1. Threadlock

2. APC 6x4e prop.

Thanks in advance
Le_optimistic is offline Find More Posts by Le_optimistic
Old Dec 02, 2011, 11:33 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,545 Posts
Quote:
Just one more thing, here's my shopping list. Do I need to add anything to the build?
Yeah. A Bixler.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2011, 01:10 PM
United States, PA, Levittown
Joined Sep 2011
12 Posts
Quote:
Looks like I'm about to head down this path as well! Except, I haven't done any modding yet, just reading and watching RC videos alone! My goal at the end of this hobby is a fully souped up RC Lander F-16. Not giving up on that just yet, but it looks a little further away then I imagined the RC journey to be. Some guys on a local forum said they reached advanced edf status in 6 months... Well, we'll see about my progress when I'm put through the Skysurfer.
I hope to one day fly an EDF SR-71, though I'm also an F-16 fan as well. From both the simulator and even flying the Bixler at WOT, I know I am a LONG way from that goal. But it will be a fun goal to work towards. I also scratch built a stick plane I have yet to fly, but it was still fun just to build. Not sure I'm skilled enough to fly it, if it even flies.....
the_vagabond is offline Find More Posts by the_vagabond
Old Dec 02, 2011, 01:26 PM
RVA
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Jan 2011
114 Posts
Looking to buy a kit...

obvious options being considered are:
a) HK USA warehouse Bilxer Kit (V1)
or
b) Banana SS Kit (currently on b/o) (V???)

Question: Which one? I have seen the V1 vs. v2 comparisons elsewhere in the thread, including the 1st page (thank you!) and understand the obvious differences. Waiting for the b/o is not a problem and BH is local and allows for p/u so cost is about the same. What else should I consider?

Question about the kits? Can anyone tell me if the one BH offers is the same as HK? BH makes specific mention of it being "Airframe Only" so I am wondering if it come with the same as the HK Bixler. (I assume because it does not state otherwise that the HK Bixler kit does include hardware, rods etc.) Looking for someone who's purchased the kit from BH to chime in here.

Thanks.
RVA is offline Find More Posts by RVA
Old Dec 02, 2011, 02:28 PM
Parma, Ohio
Joined May 2010
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVA View Post
obvious options being considered are:
a) HK USA warehouse Bilxer Kit (V1)
or
b) Banana SS Kit (currently on b/o) (V???)

Question: Which one? I have seen the V1 vs. v2 comparisons elsewhere in the thread, including the 1st page (thank you!) and understand the obvious differences. Waiting for the b/o is not a problem and BH is local and allows for p/u so cost is about the same. What else should I consider?

Question about the kits? Can anyone tell me if the one BH offers is the same as HK? BH makes specific mention of it being "Airframe Only" so I am wondering if it come with the same as the HK Bixler. (I assume because it does not state otherwise that the HK Bixler kit does include hardware, rods etc.) Looking for someone who's purchased the kit from BH to chime in here.

Thanks.
The BH kit comes with a bushed motor. You will want to click on upgrade and add a BRUSHLESS motor, an additional $10. The kit will come with rods, horns and connection hardware. The only thing you will need at this point is an ESC, Battery, servos and your own Rx. The Bixler does NOT come with any motor at all however I believe it comes with rods, horns and connection hdwe. I have purchased the BH kit so I am sure about that info. I have not purchased the Bixler. It is noted in the Bixler adv that it does not come with a motor. The BH adv states it come with a motor albeit a brushed motor which you should upgrade. Hope this helps. Good Luck with your build.

Ron
Ron RC is offline Find More Posts by Ron RC
Old Dec 02, 2011, 02:33 PM
RVA
Joined Jan 2011
114 Posts
Thanks, Ron. Do you (or anyone else) know what version BH is currently taking b/o for? Pics look to be an earlier version but I know they are known for the V2/V3/V4.
Old Dec 02, 2011, 02:54 PM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron RC View Post
The BH kit comes with a bushed motor. You will want to click on upgrade and add a BRUSHLESS motor, an additional $10. The kit will come with rods, horns and connection hardware. The only thing you will need at this point is an ESC, Battery, servos and your own Rx. The Bixler does NOT come with any motor at all however I believe it comes with rods, horns and connection hdwe. I have purchased the BH kit so I am sure about that info. I have not purchased the Bixler. It is noted in the Bixler adv that it does not come with a motor. The BH adv states it come with a motor albeit a brushed motor which you should upgrade. Hope this helps. Good Luck with your build.

Ron
WRONG... The Bixler from Hobby King DOES COME WITH A MOTOR. Mind you it is cr*p but it will work.
See HK for full details.
Flypoppa is online now Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2011, 03:02 PM
RVA
Joined Jan 2011
114 Posts
-Poppa, that may be true but HK's kit in the USA warehouse says at least 3 times it does not. Have you ordered this same one, which says "motor not included", and received a motor?
Old Dec 02, 2011, 03:27 PM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,107 Posts
Ah.. Sorry I did not know that. I got mine from HK international. (China)?. And it came with all hardware.
I must say that I had to change all the hardware as I have said it was rubbish. Even before I flew it a servo was glitching, and a push rod was binding, the control horns bust. So I decided to strip every thing out and replace.
Flypoppa is online now Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member