Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
14. Right?
AJ
Nope. More'n likely 12. 14 is apparently an impossibility. With 9 stator 'teeth' (arms with windings - I counted thru the vent holes) it has to be a certain 'N' vs 'P' ratio, & with 9 teeth & 36 'cogs' (like 'notches' felt turning prop slowly by hand; pole/magnet interaction) in 1 revolution, a multiple of 3. Per Dr. Kiwi & some other guys really up on this stuff, it would have to be either 12 or 6 magnets, & 6 would be rare.

One way using the EagleTree; run propless motor on ~10V & if tach shows ~19000rpm, (on the stock 1900kv motor), you'll know the sensor is set right for # of magnets.

Another way by physical count w/o opening the motor (& I thought this was neater'n a bee's knee): "Count the magnets [by putting] a small washer (like a #2 or 3mm flat washer) on the outside of the magnet housing near the bottom of the magnet housing. It will stick to the magnet and stay in place centered in the magnet's field of magnetism. Make a dot in the hole in the washer. Then slide the washer radially around the magnet housing and after a short distance it will center itself on and adhere to the next magnet. Make another mark and continue. When the magnet comes back to the first mark count the marks making sure that they are all equally spaced. " Cool trick, huh?
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2011, 10:08 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
One way to correct the balance is to stick a finish nail of the correct weight into the lighter wing. I do this with some flat depron models.
Now that's a neat trick too!
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2011, 10:12 AM
Joined Jun 2008
268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee3429 View Post
Just finished building my Bixler. Followed most of the replacement recommendations. I used the Velcro technique to secure the wings. My problem now is the plane is balanced from front to back however side to side it seems to be off some? It appears to be heavier by 3 pennies laying on the far end of the aileron. This is the opposite side from where I GG the CF spar in the wing but don't think that would add that much weight?

I am assuming this might effect it in flight or is this not that significant? I can not figure out why this difference is present? My ESC is on the lighter side, and a very light receiver on the left there are no other heavier parts in the fuselage.

This is the case with or with out the battery in the plane. Is this a common problem and does it make a difference in flight and what are the recommended ways of correcting it? Any thoughts and advice are greatly appreciated ....Thanks Lee
Interesting.....After I finished my Bixler, it also was off side to side. Mine was off my a nickel towards the end of the right wing. I found that when I flew it before adding any weight, the aileron trim was more than I wanted it to be. I ended up taking a small fishing lead weight (5 gr.) and flattened it then cut a small portion of the wing out (on the bottom) and CAed it in there. Since I had painted the bottom of the wing, it went in flush and painted and you can't even tell it is in there. Aileron trims much closer to neutral now and flies great. I would suggest you do something similar to try to balance it side to side......
aclinml is offline Find More Posts by aclinml
Old Nov 13, 2011, 02:03 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
No - used fingers I'd been waving.
Hahaha... see? Funny guy!
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Nov 13, 2011, 04:48 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Hahaha... see? Funny guy!
I will name my pet armadillo after him.
If I get a 4th wiener dog I will name him ajBarker.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Nov 13, 2011, 04:56 PM
Joined Sep 2011
18 Posts
How to Bind

I am new to this forum and also new to R/C flying. I have purchased and received a HK Bixler and have done some of the mods that are suggested in this thread. Great info, also have a simulator and practicing with that, very helpful. My question is that I have connected the receiver and ESC to the battery and have read the info on posts 1495 and 7486 on how to bind the TX and RX. All I get is a flashing light on the RX and no beeps, battery is charged and their is no 2 pin set in the receiver all have three pins. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
67A1f is offline Find More Posts by 67A1f
Old Nov 13, 2011, 05:16 PM
DragonLINK UHF only!!!!
Joined Feb 2011
1,217 Posts
I just orderd ARF Bixler with motor built in,

1. How do I change the stock motor?

2. Is there a stock motor mount inside?

I have also ordered the inrunner that everyone suggested on this thread

(Himax 2815 2000kv Inrunner).

also,
3. do you guys fly with rudder? or just ailerons?
LexusFPV is offline Find More Posts by LexusFPV
Old Nov 13, 2011, 05:19 PM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,541 Posts
Got the bind plug in Rx?
Grazer is offline Find More Posts by Grazer
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2011, 07:40 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusFPV View Post

also,
3. do you guys fly with rudder? or just ailerons?
On question 3. My SkySurfer turns very easily with the rudder alone. I am still trying to master graceful turns with my ailerons but end up doing some crazy spirals and tips stalls.

I was told that i can reduce my stalls by limiting the amount of up elevator by about 10 degrees. I having tried that yet but i am willing to gamble.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Nov 13, 2011, 08:09 PM
Joined Sep 2011
18 Posts
Grazer, have the bind plug in. One post said to put it in the 2 pin position, it does not have a 2 pin position. So, I put it in the aileron/#1 position. Nothing happens except the Rx flashes. Wondering if the components are faulty?
67A1f is offline Find More Posts by 67A1f
Old Nov 13, 2011, 08:12 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusFPV View Post

1. [B][I]How do I change the stock motor?
I know you didn't ask this question, but I would at least fly the stock motor first. Take out the nose weight so you can fit a 2200 mAh battery with a 6x4 prop. It is pretty darned powerful for a stock setup, easily capable of ballistic performance.

I fly a Slick 51 and really have no complaints in the Bix's power department. Roll-rate... now... THAT's a different question. It's so slow I'm afraid to do them.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Nov 13, 2011, 08:17 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
On question 3. My SkySurfer turns very easily with the rudder alone. I am still trying to master graceful turns with my ailerons but end up doing some crazy spirals and tips stalls.

I was told that i can reduce my stalls by limiting the amount of up elevator by about 10 degrees. I having tried that yet but i am willing to gamble.
Don't hold the aileron, just give a little and release. The Skysurfer requires very little aileron input to roll and turn. If you hold the aileron it will roll and spin. However, the rudder doesn't have much authority so you have to really lean on the rudder to turn.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A123 2S 2500 mah wiring diagram
Old Nov 13, 2011, 08:23 PM
DragonLINK UHF only!!!!
Joined Feb 2011
1,217 Posts
thanks for the aileron info guys :-),
how about....
repost:

LexusFPV is offline Find More Posts by LexusFPV
Old Nov 13, 2011, 08:24 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Don't hold the aileron, just give a little and release. The Skysurfer requires very little aileron input to roll and turn. If you hold the aileron it will roll and spin. However, the rudder doesn't have much authority so you have to really lean on the rudder to turn.
Thanks for the feedback Prof. I will try a lighter touch with the ailerons.

I can't explain it but my SS will turn pretty quickly and relatively flat using only the rudder. I actually like that since i am still learning proper aileron control but i will try out your suggestion. Thanks.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 08:26 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
Yeah, it was a blow gun. Should have used the mini cross bow with the steel tipped bolts. Battery was beat with hardly any voltage in it.
Wow. Very little voltage in the battery. What was in that marsh-mellow to get such a big flash bang at the end of the video?