HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 09, 2011, 04:39 AM
Space is the answer
Australia, VIC, Warneet
Joined Mar 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetPoole View Post
Well, technically, no. But, you will have to be soldering wires and such. So, it is easier overall to split the fuselage using a flat (not sharp) table knife and just nudge it apart. The fuselage is just held together with double sided cellophane tape. So, it is fairly easy. Make sure and post pics of your build.
By the way - That is the same motor and will work just fine. FYI-The leaderhobby motor shows a 3mm shaft and I think it is really a 3.2mm shaft.
Janet
Welcome to the thread Janet, hope you enjoy your stay with us.

Just dont tell Flypoppa that you use gyros of any type as he may end up telling you that only men use them
ozair is offline Find More Posts by ozair
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2011, 11:37 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marhar View Post
whoops... GRUB screws, not worm screws. :-)
OOOOOOOOhhhhhh! OK. I thought mebbe you wuz sending a 'certain someone' on a well deserved snipehunt there.
(And I din't even get to use my "do you still have the box that RC plane came in?" line.)
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 09, 2011, 11:40 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grazer View Post
That's funny! Worm screws.......I won't be able to help myself say that now.
At least you didn't call them "night crawler" screws.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 09, 2011, 02:16 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpsazerbaijan View Post
Hi everyone!
I recently placed an order for some FPV gear for my SS V3 but I thought it might need a slightly better motor... So:

I was just looking @ the motor upgrades on Pg.1 and I saw the Turnigy 2200KV (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5203), looks good but it is always out of stock, so I found this one that looks identical (and cheaper!), do you think it would work?

https://www.leaderhobby.com/product....=9394001224084

Also, how difficult it is to replace the stock motor (obviously a bit of soldering but do I have to split the fuselage?)

Thanks and happy flying,
Al
I personally favor the higher-KV version of that motor (2835-3900KV). Nice cruising (and even launching) at half throttle, long battery life (again while cruising), but will do vertical climbs whenever you want. I have one on my SkySurfer and one on my son's Easystar - it does it all. These inrunners are heavier than outrunners, but easier to mount. I'm using a 40A ESC and a 3s 2200mAh 25C LiPo with it. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

Leader Hobby seems to have the same 2835-3900KV motor:
https://www.leaderhobby.com/product....=9394001224086
though I've gotten mine from HobbyKing. It's been out of stock from HobbyKing for a while now, too, like the 2200KV.

A description of one of my flights with this motor is at:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post19740244
plus a lot of other posts in this thread and the EasyStar thread.

Of course, you've got to decide what your requirements are, and choose your motor accordingly. The 2200KV motor is also quite a good one, though with a little less full-throttle performance than this one.
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
Last edited by Little-Acorn; Nov 09, 2011 at 02:22 PM.
Old Nov 09, 2011, 02:53 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
At least you didn't call them "night crawler" screws.
That's the ones with all kinds'a colored LED's strung out all over 'em, ain't it?

This past Sunday, the DST changeover's early sunset caught some by surprise apparently....one guy flying one of those all-foam rubber 'Daisy Bee' thingys was havin' so much fun he had his kids shining flashlights on it so he could keep going. A visitor from out of town (one of those 'RC trailer hauler' types) pulled out a nite-flyer with about 3 dozen LEDs & lit it off.....really wow'd the crowd!! They thought it was the coolest thang since the North Pole. *LOL* The kids especially luv'd it....& one of the last things I heard before leaving, now they're talking about holding a night-fly-in before it gets too cold.
Oh Lord.....hide the checkbook!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 09, 2011, 03:45 PM
Worcestershire, England
Joined Nov 2007
481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
I personally favor the higher-KV version of that motor (2835-3900KV). Nice cruising (and even launching) at half throttle, long battery life (again while cruising), but will do vertical climbs whenever you want. I have one on my SkySurfer and one on my son's Easystar - it does it all. These inrunners are heavier than outrunners, but easier to mount. I'm using a 40A ESC and a 3s 2200mAh 25C LiPo with it. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

Leader Hobby seems to have the same 2835-3900KV motor:
https://www.leaderhobby.com/product....=9394001224086
though I've gotten mine from HobbyKing. It's been out of stock from HobbyKing for a while now, too, like the 2200KV.

A description of one of my flights with this motor is at:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post19740244
plus a lot of other posts in this thread and the EasyStar thread.

Of course, you've got to decide what your requirements are, and choose your motor accordingly. The 2200KV motor is also quite a good one, though with a little less full-throttle performance than this one.
+1
I agree with Acorn. I've got the Turnigy 2835-3900KV in my Bixler and it's a great motor and is a perfect match for a 2200 3s 25c lipo and in my case a 45amp ESC. Easy hand launchs great verticals!
Jam1e is offline Find More Posts by Jam1e
Old Nov 09, 2011, 04:18 PM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,095 Posts
3900kv... Power mad. For goodness sake the model is a glider. I replaced the stock with a 1800kv 20amp ESC, 6x4 prop, and stick a 2200 3s in the nose.
It will do a SOGATO. It will also go vertical for a while and gets me to a gliding height of about 400 ft in about 20 seconds.
I then glide around thermal hunting or glide back down and then power up for height yet again.
As for the duration of my flying times... I have yet to run the 2200 3s down in my flights.
Also no gyros are harmed in my flying as I don't use them.
Flypoppa is online now Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 09, 2011, 05:05 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
3900kv... Power mad. For goodness sake the model is a glider. I replaced the stock with a 1800kv 20amp ESC, 6x4 prop, and stick a 2200 3s in the nose.
It will do a SOGATO. It will also go vertical for a while and gets me to a gliding height of about 400 ft in about 20 seconds.
I then glide around thermal hunting or glide back down and then power up for height yet again.
As for the duration of my flying times... I have yet to run the 2200 3s down in my flights.
I know, gyros are for sissies.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 09, 2011, 05:16 PM
Worcestershire, England
Joined Nov 2007
481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
I've over powered every model i've had. Just my style i suppose. I like ooodles of power! Thats what makes this hobby so interesting as it's so versitile. Theres always something different to see even if the basic airframe is the same.
Never fitted a gyro to an aeroplane. I've read abit about them lately though on this forum. Sounds interesting. Yet another examle of versitility
I wouldn't mind fitting 2 to an airframe, (ailerons and elevator) and see how well it performs on a really windy day....
Jam1e is offline Find More Posts by Jam1e
Old Nov 09, 2011, 06:26 PM
Joined Sep 2011
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Oh Lord.....hide the checkbook!!
Thats funny, I can relate to that!
r3tro74 is offline Find More Posts by r3tro74
Old Nov 09, 2011, 06:30 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,406 Posts
Well, call me a sissy then cuz I just ordered 2 different model Detrums to try out. I had a few close calls recently, & I've already been thru one crash & they ain't no fun! Main reason I decided to bite the bullet was a video I watched recently where the guy described the exact conditions and effects on the airplane in windy conditions - especially a lightweight foamer with large surfaces & wings like ours - exactly like I've been experiencing. And seeing as how it seems to be eternally windy in the wide-open spaces of our airfield, I decided I'd give gyros a try & see how/if they'd smooth the tendency for a wing constantly catching wind & tipping off course. Our prevailing winds thus far have been cross-runway, every single time I've flown. This past Sunday in fact, I was practicing landing setups and several times when I's within wing's-reach of the ground, it heeled over & almost caught a tip.

Another factor - hopefully the gyro will help produce better aerial videos, as the last couple I've shot you almost get seasick watching! That could also use some 'smoothing'. Too, I ordered a Phoenix 2000 glider last week, and if anything will need wing smoothing in our local conditions, that will!

And finally (reason-wise), I caught 'em on sale! For anyone interested, Hobby Partz: Detrum GY48V reg'ly $17.70, $5 off for $12.70. I also got the Detrum GY192 on sale for $11.95....gonna give 'em a try see what doesn't shake out.

I'm figgerin', if enough of us band together & get gyros, at sale prices, we can save up enough money to send FlyPoppa a really tricked-out hella heli for Christmas....and let's see how he feels about flyin' without gyros then!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 09, 2011, 08:22 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,602 Posts
I need some help finding the correct 4 mm wing spar to fit into the 6 mm that came with my SS from BH.

BH only has the 6mm replacement. HK's are backordered, Headsup does not carry them in any size (at least i could not find any on their website), Towers has (if i do the conversion from Eng to Met correctly) a 3mm & 5mm but no 4mm. Hobby lobby has 3 types which I presume are 4mm OD with a 2.0, 2.5 or 3.0mm ID x 1000mm length.

Do I wait for HK or should I get a couple from H lobby and which one if I do?

Vince
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Nov 09, 2011, 09:46 PM
Space is the answer
Australia, VIC, Warneet
Joined Mar 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
I need some help finding the correct 4 mm wing spar to fit into the 6 mm that came with my SS from BH.

BH only has the 6mm replacement. HK's are backordered, Headsup does not carry them in any size (at least i could not find any on their website), Towers has (if i do the conversion from Eng to Met correctly) a 3mm & 5mm but no 4mm. Hobby lobby has 3 types which I presume are 4mm OD with a 2.0, 2.5 or 3.0mm ID x 1000mm length.

Do I wait for HK or should I get a couple from H lobby and which one if I do?

Vince
Get the 4mm OD with the 2mm ID from H lobby. (if your presumption about the 4mm OD is correct)
ozair is offline Find More Posts by ozair
Old Nov 10, 2011, 01:19 AM
Australia, TAS, Devonport
Joined May 2011
146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Oh, okay. I's just going on seeing it in the video; looked like it was zipping along at a pretty good clip. You must have the 6x4 prop installed. Don't get it too slow, tho - keep it above 'just flyable'. It'll handle more 'smartly' when you've got good air flowing over its surfaces.
Yep I've got the 6 x 4 prop on there which was a nice upgrade. I'll be sure to try dialling the throttle way back next flight to see when it gets sluggish, thanks!

And thanks again to others for the words of encouragement. And now back to the SS/Bixler technical discussions
Heliosphere is offline Find More Posts by Heliosphere
Old Nov 10, 2011, 01:41 AM
FPV Noob
United Kingdom, Scotland, Aberdeen
Joined Jun 2011
291 Posts
Thanks everyone for the motor upgrade tips! I think I'm gonna go for the 2200kv Turnigy that LeaderHobby actually have in stock (all of HK's are BK).
Thanks for the tips,
Happy flying,
Al
fpsazerbaijan is offline Find More Posts by fpsazerbaijan