HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 06, 2011, 07:59 PM
United States, CA, Santa Monica
Joined Jul 2011
489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronca View Post
Yup, a "random M4 nut will fit - but don't forget a washer!

As for the Amazon M4 "100 nuts", what are you going to do with all of them? You don't show where you live, but if you're in the good ole U.S.A, go to an ACE hardware store and buy 2 - 1 as a spare, and DON'T forget 2 washers!!

Aeronca
Right, so I flew today without the washer and the nut went all the way into the propeller. What size washers would you recommend?
Lpbug is offline Find More Posts by Lpbug
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2011, 09:51 PM
Space is the answer
Australia, VIC, Warneet
Joined Mar 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papo_60 View Post
Thanks SH for taking so much of your time to ans. my post. Rather than going back & forth with this I decided to take a picture of a drawing I did to show the problem that exists, at least with the TGS prop & collet prop adapter that comes with the SkyS & BL motor combination from BH. It is similar to this adapter but probably not exactly as there are no dimensions given.
I guess my main concern is your belief that the collet type prop adapter together with props coming with adapter rings is the end all solution. (Last paragraph of your 1st post.) That is exactly what I have & I still have to drill out the prop hub to fit on the collet shaft.

From the picture you can see:
1.) The collet shaft is 5.23 mm long & 6.95 mm in diameter.
2.) The hub of the propeller has an opening of 7.83 mm at the back end. But it only extends 2.8 mm into the prop hub.
3) The remainder of the prop hub opening is only 6.08 mm

The size of the opening of the collet ring is large enought that it slides all the way down the collect shaft leaving the entire 5.23 mm length of the shaft available. The prop can only slid onto the shaft 2.8 mm before the smaller opening (6.08 mm) comes in contact with the collet shaft which is 6.95 mm.
Obviously the prop stops here, leaving about 2.4 mm space before the prop can come in contact with the collet ring & even begin to tighten on the collet... Also, the largest prop adapter ring opening is 6.06 mm so if you decide to use it, it also would need to be drilled out..

I expect that there will be more than one prop adapter that will work perfectly with the TGS prop with no drilling required. However, the question is "how many collet prop adapters are available that will not work (similar to the one I have) & need to have the prop drilled out to fit properly???

The problem is made more difficult as the needed demensions are not often included in either the adapter or prop specifications.. Bottom line is it would be nice to have the vendors give the dimension info on the sales page vs in inserts that come with the prop.

It would be very interesting & maybe quite valuable data if we could gather this info on prop adapter shaft sizes vs various prop mfg hub dimensions. If you & others feel it would be of value then I would be willing to take it on.

Last point on the TGS props, I agree that the insert shows the two hole dimensions are 6mm & 7.62 mm - so says mine. But I have measure 3 TGS 6x4E props & they all measure 6 mm (as advertised) & 7.8+ mm (vs 7.62mm), is it possible there has been change (even if not significant)????

Hope this helps clarify the problem but lets declare this one a dead horse.. Thanks,
Ron
Ron,

I have been using this prop adapter for a few months now and it works great, only $ 3- shipped to your door.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Propeller...item3f0ef7d2d9

With the TGS 6X4 fitted with the 5.14mm ID hub adapter all falls into place nicely. The prop shaft of the above adapter is 5mm diam.
ozair is offline Find More Posts by ozair
Old Nov 06, 2011, 09:56 PM
Space is the answer
Australia, VIC, Warneet
Joined Mar 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliosphere View Post
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=7756

Well it's been another couple of months and I finally got to attempt my second (and third) RC flight today..

And it was AWESOME! No crashes this time. The Bixler handled great in just a very gentle breeze. I can see now why people say what an easy plane it is to fly, although a very large part of my success was thanks to the FMA Co-Pilot stabilisation system that we fitted which worked like a charm! Took the pressure right off to know that I could just let go of the sticks if I got into trouble and it would level itself out.

First flight I had the co-pilot set to maximum which turned out to be too much, even with full control deflection it still only turned enough for very wide lazy circles. Lucky I had a couple of people spotting for me as a few times the plane went out of my field of view because I couldn't turn it tightly enough.

Second flight we toned the sensitivity down and it was much better, I could actually bank quite steeply and keep the plane in view. Most of my flying was pretty low as it was easier for me to look straight ahead. I did try to go up a bit higher and stall it to see how it behaved and it was amazingly stable. Not sure how much of that is the plane and how much is the co-pilot.

Landing was a no-brainer, just line it up and cut the throttle for a gentle touchdown.

Man I've got the bug now that I know I can do this.. flew with a 1.8 Ah battery which didn't last long enough, glad I ordered a 2.2 Ah battery so next time I'll be able to put a couple of batteries through it.

Thanks to everyone who provided help and encouragement

I've got crappy video of the flights from my old camera, might upload them soon if the quality is good enough to see anything. Good excuse to upgrade to a better camera!
Helio thats great boy, CONGRATULATIONS on your successfull flights, keep it up son.
Old Nov 06, 2011, 11:43 PM
United States, CA, Santa Monica
Joined Jul 2011
489 Posts
Does anyone know how to tighten the set screw in prop adapters? The hole is so small that i dont have any tool that will fit inside, any tips?

Thanks
Lpbug is offline Find More Posts by Lpbug
Old Nov 06, 2011, 11:51 PM
Fayetteville, AR
Joined Jan 2010
465 Posts
Is there any difference in using either an APC 6x4e or the APC 6x4e pusher version?
bicyclemonkey is online now Find More Posts by bicyclemonkey
Old Nov 07, 2011, 01:44 AM
Space is the answer
Australia, VIC, Warneet
Joined Mar 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpbug View Post
Does anyone know how to tighten the set screw in prop adapters? The hole is so small that i dont have any tool that will fit inside, any tips?

Thanks
I use a small allen key or wrench (as the yanks say) 1.5mm, it works great. Any solid rod of steel that will fit inside the hole will work, such as jewller's screwdriver etc...
Old Nov 07, 2011, 01:46 AM
Space is the answer
Australia, VIC, Warneet
Joined Mar 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicyclemonkey View Post
Is there any difference in using either an APC 6x4e or the APC 6x4e pusher version?
The 6X4EP is a little more efficient but make sure your motor is rotating counterclockwise when viewed from the back of the plane.
Old Nov 07, 2011, 02:25 AM
Australia, TAS, Devonport
Joined May 2011
143 Posts
Thanks for the words of encouragement everyone! You wouldn't believe how big a deal this is for me.. hard to put into words really. I guess I can tell a group of internet strangers that I shed a tear or two of happiness afterwards without fear of discovery

I've edited together a video of parts of the second flight, although the resolution is so low that it's hard to see the plane most of the time! My dad and friend were helping. Probably after a few more flights I'll be comfortable enough with the controls to go out with just the one person. Hope the audio doesn't get too loud.

Third Bixler Flight (3 min 23 sec)
Heliosphere is offline Find More Posts by Heliosphere
Old Nov 07, 2011, 03:26 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,053 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the words of encouragement everyone! You wouldn't believe how big a deal this is for me.. hard to put into words really. I guess I can tell a group of internet strangers that I shed a tear or two of happiness afterwards without fear of discovery

I've edited together a video of parts of the second flight, although the resolution is so low that it's hard to see the plane most of the time! My dad and friend were helping. Probably after a few more flights I'll be comfortable enough with the controls to go out with just the one person. Hope the audio doesn't get too loud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFtjnxXLyww
That is just amazing. Well done.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
Old Nov 07, 2011, 04:53 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpbug View Post
right, so i flew today without the washer and the nut went all the way into the propeller. What size washers would you recommend?
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2011, 04:55 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpbug View Post

Thanks
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....get a tool that will fit inside?
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2011, 05:03 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by musclera View Post
I was about to make an international HK order and was looking at props. I calculated Watts/ozThrust using your numbers in above (result in bold). I know many use 6x4 props, but based on these results, wouldn't the 6x3 or 6x5 be more efficient and thus more preferred?

Edit: This post also suggests the 6x3 is more efficient
More efficient with those other motors -- won't neccessarily translate to the stock motor, or motor you might have unless it's one of those two noted.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2011, 05:30 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,619 Posts
Quote:

Wow, dood - that WAS fantastic! Great job. You made some pretty nice saves, too! *LOL*
If I could offer one small piece of advice -- after you get it up & at a safe/comfortable altitude, cut the throttle back to about half - maybe a bit higher - and fly it a little slower. That'll reduce somewhat the need for quicker reaction, ie give you more time to both make those saves, and earlier when needed so as you don't get into tight spots so quickly to begin with. Also might lessen the damage somewhat if things do go bad. Make sense? Plus, longer flight times! This, at least, while you're in training phase....obviously for you, as they say, the sky's the limit!

Well done....really proud of you!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2011, 05:58 AM
Worcestershire, England
Joined Nov 2007
481 Posts
Quote:

Nice flying. Well done!
Jam1e is offline Find More Posts by Jam1e
Old Nov 07, 2011, 07:21 AM
Australia, TAS, Devonport
Joined May 2011
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Wow, dood - that WAS fantastic! Great job. You made some pretty nice saves, too! *LOL*
If I could offer one small piece of advice -- after you get it up & at a safe/comfortable altitude, cut the throttle back to about half - maybe a bit higher - and fly it a little slower. That'll reduce somewhat the need for quicker reaction, ie give you more time to both make those saves, and earlier when needed so as you don't get into tight spots so quickly to begin with. Also might lessen the damage somewhat if things do go bad. Make sense? Plus, longer flight times! This, at least, while you're in training phase....obviously for you, as they say, the sky's the limit!

Well done....really proud of you!
Thanks I let my dad and friend control the throttle so it was one less thing for me to worry about but I think it was around half for most of the time.. I wish we had experimented with how far we could cut it back and still be flyable.

I flew close to the ground a couple of times deliberately, probably pushing my luck at this early stage but it felt so easy to control that it didn't seem too risky. A great contrast to the 30 seconds of panic then disaster that was my first flight!

Next time I'll have to try tilting my wheelchair back a fair way first, then I'll be able to fly higher while still keeping it in view.

Cheers
Heliosphere is offline Find More Posts by Heliosphere