SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 30, 2010, 01:59 AM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
the foam there is already not thick enough. I wouldn't trim the foam. I would go all the way the with PVC ,but, again with the dremel, you cannot be accurate enough so that you can center it and "eat" evenly the pvc.
I just rotated the pvc while holing it against the sanding drum, then finnished it with a file by hand . When doing it the way I did, the trick is to keep the pvc turning while hoding even presure against the sanding drum. another way would be to use a hole saw that would fit the inside diameter of the pvc, chuck the holesaw into a drill, attach the pvc to the holesaw, turn on the drill and hold a flat file agianst the spinning pvc and it will turn down the pvc evenly. you would be supprised at what you can make with some basic hand tools.
antennahead is offline Find More Posts by antennahead
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2010, 03:04 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2008
121 Posts
I picked up a rtf Sky Surfer today. Checked the box at BH for damage or missing items'
the correct brushless motor, etc. Got home and had a closer look and noticed that
the motor is installed in the foam housing crooked. The motor shaft points 3 degrees to
the left of fuse centerline. About 3 mm of the motor face protrudes out of the housing
on the right side and 2-3 mm in on the left, as viewed from above and toward the tail.
May be it.s supposed to be this way, but I doubt it.

Can anyone confirm the proper front to back shaft alignment?

Thanks,
GeneH
Alpha35 is online now Find More Posts by Alpha35
Old Apr 30, 2010, 04:26 PM
pt st lucie
Joined Apr 2010
68 Posts
i have it and the motor is crooked. i asked them about it i can't remember who i talked to on the phone but he put me on hold to ask pete and said that the motor is supposed to be a little crooked to offset the spinning of the motor. you should post a pic and i'll compare with mine.

i forget to mention it flies great!
iheartrc is offline Find More Posts by iheartrc
Last edited by iheartrc; Apr 30, 2010 at 04:26 PM. Reason: forget to mention..
Old Apr 30, 2010, 04:53 PM
Joined Feb 2008
121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartrc View Post
i have it and the motor is crooked. i asked them about it i can't remember who i talked to on the phone but he put me on hold to ask pete and said that the motor is supposed to be a little crooked to offset the spinning of the motor. you should post a pic and i'll compare with mine.

i forget to mention it flies great!
Here's what mine looks like (via cell phone):
Last edited by Alpha35; Apr 03, 2013 at 01:38 AM.
Old May 01, 2010, 05:35 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Motor Offset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha35 View Post
Here's what mine looks like (via cell phone):
Hmmmmm.... That seems like a lot of offset. When I get a chance, I will take an overhead shot of mine. It seems like mine was dead straight.
AJ
UPDATE: I forgot, my plane was in the house. It looks about the same to my old eyes.
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Last edited by ajbaker; May 01, 2010 at 05:39 AM. Reason: Add a picture
Old May 01, 2010, 12:59 PM
Joined Feb 2008
121 Posts
Thanks for the photo, AJ.

I would say that mine is canted about 1/2 degree more to the left than yours.
But if it flies ok, it doesn't matter.

What had me concerned was that the photo in the Barnes SS review showed it
almost straight, if anything canted very slightly to the *right*.
Last edited by Alpha35; Apr 03, 2013 at 01:38 AM.
Old May 01, 2010, 04:48 PM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,300 Posts
Just a heads up for those that have the ARF with no electronics,

I was cuising along on my build when I ran into a little snag. I was at the point of installing some hxt 900 servos into the main wing for ailerons when I realized that the wing comes with aileron extentions pre installed under the alread glued in wing spar cover. so if I connect the servo I'll have about 4 inches of extra servo wire that cannot be pulled through the wing. I thought about cutting the plug off of the extention and pulling it out of the wing, but the servo wires will not reach to the end of the wing on their own even if you could get the plug to go through the hole in the foam. I also do not want to remove any wire from the servo end. they must use servos with extremely short leads on the RTF. I sure wish they would have left the spar covers unglued,
antennahead is offline Find More Posts by antennahead
Old May 01, 2010, 05:57 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post

I was cuising along on my build when I ran into a little snag. I was at the point of installing some hxt 900 servos into the main wing for ailerons when I realized that the wing comes with aileron extentions pre installed under the alread glued in wing spar cover. so if I connect the servo I'll have about 4 inches of extra servo wire that cannot be pulled through the wing. I thought about cutting the plug off of the extention and pulling it out of the wing, but the servo wires will not reach to the end of the wing on their own even if you could get the plug to go through the hole in the foam. I also do not want to remove any wire from the servo end. they must use servos with extremely short leads on the RTF. I sure wish they would have left the spar covers unglued,
I will check mine when I get a chance. I was one of the ones that lucked out on my ARF order. They just took out the transmitter and receiver and charger from an RTF and shipped me what was left. So, I got an RR. It took me about 30 mins (could have been 10 min - I'm slow) to make it RTF. They even sent me the 130mah LiPo with it. Anyhow, I will take a pic if I can get at it.
AJ
Old May 01, 2010, 07:48 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
........ they must use servos with extremely short leads on the RTF.............
That is exactly what they do. The picture below shows an aileron servo. The servo wire looks a bit longer than it actually is. It is slightly less than 1 inch (25mm).
Old May 01, 2010, 09:32 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
4,612 Posts
Quote:

I just completed my ARF Sky Surfer this weekend and I ran into the same issue. The way I got through it was to connect the servo with the stock wire to the extension wire in the wing, pull the extension until you feel resistance, then fold and tuck the excess wire into the cavity just behind the servo location. I folded the foam cover over the wing spar back just so I had a little more room to shove the wires in there. It works though. I am using Hitec HS-55 servos all around for the plane. They fit into the servo sockets perfectly. I used a little Gorilla Glue White to secure them.

KMan
kman24 is online now Find More Posts by kman24
Last edited by kman24; May 01, 2010 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Adding Picture
Old May 01, 2010, 09:46 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman24 View Post
I just completed my ARF Sky Surfer this weekend and I ran into the same issue. The way I got through it was to connect the servo with the stock wire to the extension wire in the wing, pull the extension until you feel resistance, then fold and tuck the excess wire into the cavity just behind the servo location. I folded the foam cover over the wing spar back just so I had a little more room to shove the wires in there. It works though. I am using Hitec HS-55 servos all around for the plane. They fit into the servo sockets perfectly. I used a little Gorilla Glue White to secure them.

KMan
Nice clean job.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old May 01, 2010, 09:54 PM
Portland, OR
Joined Nov 2009
526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman24 View Post

KMan
Exactly what I did

Don
donsinger1 is offline Find More Posts by donsinger1
Old May 01, 2010, 09:57 PM
Portland, OR
Joined Nov 2009
526 Posts
Center of Gravity

Any ideas?

1/3rd the width of the wing as measured along the fuselage?

Just finishing my ARF and this is the last issue to address. Will post pictures when finished.

Don
donsinger1 is offline Find More Posts by donsinger1
Old May 01, 2010, 10:35 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsinger1 View Post
Any ideas?

1/3rd the width of the wing as measured along the fuselage?

Just finishing my ARF and this is the last issue to address. Will post pictures when finished.

Don
Yes but to quote ajbaker:
"The ideal CG for this plane is 72mm from LE. For raw beginners, 68mm is the minimum recommended."

I'd go with that.

Q
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old May 01, 2010, 11:50 PM
"Walk of shame" Master!!!
West Chicago Il
Joined Jul 2004
538 Posts
great thread guys, I made the mistake of ordering mine brush, instead of brushless, so as soon as I get it. I'm ganna order the park jet motor from grason hobby with 30amp ESC and 3s1800mah lipo... I can't wait to get back to this hobby, I was off for three years and It was driving nuts :O
NoM'rcrashPlease is offline Find More Posts by NoM'rcrashPlease