SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 25, 2011, 07:25 AM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Nice setup! Just one man's opinion, but this is one rig I believe would be a good candidate for a wing-leveling servo. To me, the rolling is the main detractor from an otherwise nice movie.

Nice imaging quality too. While I know they aren't the 'Very Best', & better can be had for an appreciably higher price, still, the fidelity of these Key-Cams just never ceases to amaze me. All that from such a small, & inexpensive package. They're something, ain't they?
thanks and yes i may eventually put in a stabilization system but i have quite a few other things that need to be done first (OSD and LRS at the top of the list)

And yeah even for the $20 keychain cam the video cant be beat at the low of a price and the light of a package. I need to pony up the cash and upgrade to the 720p version for $40 though would save me from having to mount something heavy on it for HD video
shadow102 is online now Find More Posts by shadow102
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2011, 07:44 AM
Worcestershire, England
Joined Nov 2007
481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Considering the stocker is a 2620 on stacked spacers, you should have plenty of room. I'll measure it if you still need the info.....but caliper's in the workshop & I ain't in a walkin' mood rat now.
Like it!
Jam1e is offline Find More Posts by Jam1e
Old Oct 25, 2011, 09:34 AM
Joined Aug 2009
87 Posts
does anyone know how much weight this plane's wings can support? im at 38.5oz (im not 100% this is accurate as im using a very old postage scale) and im probally going to get a bit heavier with a double motor setup (2X2600kv with 2X30amp esc with 6X4E props on 3S lipos, This should give me at least a 1:1 thrust ratio if not more) and 2 batteries to support the extra motor which will move my CG further up to where its suppose to be instead of way back at 3.5inchs, more after the motor mod. I'm designing (actually its drying at I type) a carbonfiber Y support (5-6 layers thick) which attachs sorta where the stock motor sits but had supports going to the fuse and perhaps I'll eventually try to put a hindge on there with a servo to have some thrust vectoring (I have no idea if it will even work, probally not but its a fun experiment). either way, I'm not quite sure how much weight the wings can support.

Also, does anyone have any idea if I should keep the stock angle of the motor or would it be better if I made the motors lay flat? I noticed the stock motor is at a downward angle.
eccvets is offline Find More Posts by eccvets
Last edited by eccvets; Oct 25, 2011 at 09:46 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 09:35 AM
Joined Aug 2009
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaled_abobakr View Post
Hi ..

I flew my Heavy FPV Bixler this morning .. another 3 packs .. with a CG at 7.35 cm from LE... it flew great and I'm getting more solid feel of it .. I feel more relaxed when flying it ..

I can finally say that I like my Bixler .. wow .. it was a long way to this stage ..

now some more practicing then I'll lose the dummy weight and put on the FPV gear and fly fpv and see how it goes .. I'll ask a friend to fly it for me until I get used to flying the plane from the cockpit view .. then we will both fly the plane using a trainer cord so he can engage when I'm in trouble

Thanks a lot to all of you guys .. I really appreciate your help

Khaled
how heavy is your current planes AUW?
eccvets is offline Find More Posts by eccvets
Old Oct 25, 2011, 12:15 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaled_abobakr View Post
Hi ..

I flew my Heavy FPV Bixler this morning .. another 3 packs .. with a CG at 7.35 cm from LE... it flew great and I'm getting more solid feel of it .. I feel more relaxed when flying it ..

I can finally say that I like my Bixler .. wow .. it was a long way to this stage ..

now some more practicing then I'll lose the dummy weight and put on the FPV gear and fly fpv and see how it goes .. I'll ask a friend to fly it for me until I get used to flying the plane from the cockpit view .. then we will both fly the plane using a trainer cord so he can engage when I'm in trouble

Thanks a lot to all of you guys .. I really appreciate your help

Khaled
Congratulations, Khaled -- at long last!!
What's even better news is that it flew well and you're pleased with it.
Know what you must do now? Buy a new shiny one & start all over! *LOL*
(And this time you'll know how to do it right, & have it up the next day after it arrives.)
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 25, 2011, 01:32 PM
Indonesia, Jakarta Capital Region, Djakarta
Joined Apr 2007
423 Posts
@Jam1e and @StarHopper44: thanks guys i think i got the idea of how large is the opening. Can't wait to get my Bixler on the air
rizky_p is online now Find More Posts by rizky_p
Old Oct 25, 2011, 01:55 PM
Worcestershire, England
Joined Nov 2007
481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rizky_p View Post
@Jam1e and @StarHopper44: thanks guys i think i got the idea of how large is the opening. Can't wait to get my Bixler on the air
No problem. I'll be glad to get mine in the air to. Been waiting for the weather to break the last few days so i can get the maiden done!
Jam1e is offline Find More Posts by Jam1e
Old Oct 25, 2011, 02:58 PM
YouAV
United States, SC, Goose Creek
Joined Mar 2011
38 Posts
Those of you flying FPV, spend an extra 100 bucks and get an FY20A. It makes the plane virtually uncrashable. I fly 3 miles out with hands off the controls, all I mess with is pan and tilt looking around and bump the rudder once in a while for course correction. Also, just wanted to add that I've found the easiest way to remove the washers in the nose of the Bixler is to grab some needle nose pliers and slowly pry them out one at a time. They'll pull right out of the glue.
YouAV is offline Find More Posts by YouAV
Old Oct 25, 2011, 04:38 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouAV View Post
Those of you flying FPV, spend an extra 100 bucks and get an FY20A. It makes the plane virtually uncrashable. I fly 3 miles out with hands off the controls, all I mess with is pan and tilt looking around and bump the rudder once in a while for course correction. Also, just wanted to add that I've found the easiest way to remove the washers in the nose of the Bixler is to grab some needle nose pliers and slowly pry them out one at a time. They'll pull right out of the glue.
Hot water is considered the best way to avoid any damage.
What radio do you use that will span 3 miles? As is often said here -> If it ain't on video, it didn't happen. Do you have a video to prove the distance?
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Oct 25, 2011, 05:27 PM
YouAV
Joined Mar 2011
38 Posts
I just didn't want to take the chance of warping the foam. I thought pulling them out one by one was fairly simple for those of us with no patience.
As for the video, sure, here ya go:

3 mile plus FPV flight (9 min 36 sec)

I use ChainLink. It operates glitch free and I've never switched to the 5W power.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 05:44 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,178 Posts
Quote:
I just didn't want to take the chance of warping the foam. I thought pulling them out one by one was fairly simple for those of us with no patience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJu3NcRMfj0

I use ChainLink. It operates glitch free and I've never switched to the 5W power.
5 watts? Isn't ChainLink .2 watts or .5 watts? Nice job, BTW...
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Oct 25, 2011, 05:55 PM
YouAV
Joined Mar 2011
38 Posts
LoL yes, .2 and .5. Got a little carried away with my conversion aye? I just have 2 and 5 written on the thing with a sharpie so it's stuck in my head.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 06:30 PM
Joined May 2010
71 Posts
Hobbyking Bixler Build tips

Hey everyone thanks for the many great ideas for taking the regular Bixler and making it a great performing plane. This thread was very informative so thank you. here is a list of my mods.
1. replaced wing spar with stronger 6mm carbon tube.
2. added magnets to help keep the wings on.
3. added flat piece of carbon to elevator to strengthen it.
4. added rudder pushrod guide to give full deflection both ways on rudder.
5. added fiberglass rod to bottom of fuselage for strength.
6. added fiber tape to protect fuselage
7. removed washers from inside of body.
8. added leds to inside of fuselage and wings for night flying.
9. replaced all control horns with stronger ones.
10. replaced aileron control linkages with stronger ones.
11. cut rudder hinges and used CA hinges.

Flew it for the first time today and it flew great. Caught a couple of thermals and was surprised at just how well it acts like a 2M sailplane. I might get into FPV so any suggestions on setups would be great because i have no idea what I'm doing. Thanks again everybody.
Jeebs77 is offline Find More Posts by Jeebs77
Old Oct 25, 2011, 08:14 PM
Quads, 4 times the fun.
Australia, NSW, Brookvale
Joined Apr 2011
724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccvets View Post
Also, does anyone have any idea if I should keep the stock angle of the motor or would it be better if I made the motors lay flat? I noticed the stock motor is at a downward angle.
Ideally the motor's axis should point through the plane's CG, and also along the fuselage's axis. Towards the CG gives balanced pitch and along the fuselage gives maximum thrust. Most pusher planes have it pointing a bit above the CG, which causes the plane to pitch down slightly at high throttle but still gives plenty of forward thrust.
rogueqd is offline Find More Posts by rogueqd
Old Oct 25, 2011, 08:19 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJu3NcRMfj0

That is great video! Fairly good resolution and no interference. Have you listed your equipment anywhere? If so a link would be appreciated. I know very little about FPV and have no idea what the purpose of chainlink is, or even who makes it. So if this is a stupid question, forgive me. What kind of RC gear will allow control at 3 miles? And are licenses required to use equipment that will give those kind of results?

With results like that I would be interested in trying FPV, but an awful lot of FPV video I have seen is either very poor resolution of way too much interference. Thanks for that!

Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks