SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 25, 2011, 12:01 AM
Joined Jun 2011
210 Posts
Here's another one - over the Hudson River in NY...
ilovefpv is offline Find More Posts by ilovefpv
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2011, 12:13 AM
Australia, NT, Lyons
Joined Oct 2010
616 Posts
Just wondering if anyone has tried Glassing the Bixler/SS? I know it will add weight but it should also add speed.
joel0407 is offline Find More Posts by joel0407
Old Oct 25, 2011, 02:39 AM
Indonesia, Jakarta Capital Region, Djakarta
Joined Apr 2007
487 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rizky_p View Post
Does anyone knows what is the inside diameter of the motor opening on bixler? I am planning to put 2826 outrunner motor inside.

Thanks.
Anyone please?
rizky_p is online now Find More Posts by rizky_p
Old Oct 25, 2011, 03:23 AM
Worcestershire, England
Joined Nov 2007
481 Posts
Quote:
Anyone please?
The inside diametre at the smallest point is 28mm, (-/+1) My 28mm can inrunner touches the inside diametre mounting area, apart from the 3 small cut-outs to aid motor cooling.
Jam1e is offline Find More Posts by Jam1e
Old Oct 25, 2011, 04:03 AM
Worcestershire, England
Joined Nov 2007
481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow102 View Post
mg90s, mg-14, corona 939 digital, exi d213f, ect are all decent cheap metal gear servos. Though i would be willing to bet a set of HXT900/t-pro SG90 would be more than enough on the plane
Shadow 102 is right, the HXT 900/T-Pro sg90 is a cracking servo for light use. I have loads of them and although very good value for money they do tend to strip gears quite easily. Mainly on a slight heavy landing than in general use in the air. Although you can buy replacement gear sets for less than $1

The Turnigy MG90s also seems a good servo and i believe the parts are interchangeable with the HXT 900, (bar the top casing) However, i would recommend the HobbyKing 939MG.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=14458
They're cheaper and lighter than the MG90S and put out alot more torque. They are slightly slower, but for the type of model were talking about here it makes little odds really. I have a fair few HK939MG's with some fitted in several of my i/c glow engines up to .46 2 stroke. And they work great! Just my 2 pence worth...
Jam1e is offline Find More Posts by Jam1e
Old Oct 25, 2011, 04:20 AM
Joined Aug 2009
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joel0407 View Post
Just wondering if anyone has tried Glassing the Bixler/SS? I know it will add weight but it should also add speed.
I put 4 layers of carbonfiber on the inside of the fuse and also made a nose cone out of carbonfiber/kevlar which did not weight very much at all. in anycase, my current auw with packing tape, solid cf bar for the wings and 3mm cf rods in all the control surfaces is at 38.5 oz with a 2200mah 3slipo. I'm sure if you used one layer of carbonfiber/kevlar around the entire plane with a vacuum infused layout and then removed the foam, it would be quite a bit lighter. perhaps lighter then stock/foam... I used a wet setup for time and used way too much epoxy/CF for mines. then again its now so stiff and strong that its never gonna break.

BTW: I'd highly suggest if you can making a nose cone/cover out of carbon/kevlar if you can. I was playing with mines outside today to test glide it and a few times I threw it up too high and it came straight back down. it ended up making divits in the ground cuz it was hiting so hard but absolutly no damage to the plane which is nice. this thing can easily take a 40mph hit without a scratch (at least to the fuse)! I made mines removable so I could take apart the plane later (like im going to have to do now as my elevator servo has stripped out...)
eccvets is offline Find More Posts by eccvets
Last edited by eccvets; Oct 25, 2011 at 04:28 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 06:20 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow102 View Post
really need to weigh mine with my FPV gear installed, its quite a bit heavier than a stock bixler seeing as i am running a 2200mah AND 1000mah 3s in the nose to balance the Vtx on the tail boom. Flies great with the 6x4 prop though just a little sluggish in a straight line and it has a lower stall angle. First FPV flights were this weekend though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deIT_y7V-mo
Nice setup! Just one man's opinion, but this is one rig I believe would be a good candidate for a wing-leveling servo. To me, the rolling is the main detractor from an otherwise nice movie.

Nice imaging quality too. While I know they aren't the 'Very Best', & better can be had for an appreciably higher price, still, the fidelity of these Key-Cams just never ceases to amaze me. All that from such a small, & inexpensive package. They're something, ain't they?
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 25, 2011, 06:22 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccvets View Post
Attachment 4370560

Attachment 4370561

The cf/kevlar nose was probally good enough to provide the protection I needed. I'd say that would have added perhaps 30 grams.
But at least, when you fry eggs on it they won't stick!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 25, 2011, 06:34 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam1e View Post
...Having said that it'll probably fly fine, albeit maybe under powered?? I don't know anything about the stock motor but as a general rule most are way under powered for the model they're sold with anyway.
I've gotta say, the stock (BL upgrade) 2620-1900kv in my Bixler has been a pleasant surprise in that regard. WAY sufficient power. Mine was clocked at 46mph on radar with the stock 5x3 prop in a single (only attempt) hi-speed pass* a Sunday ago....not too shabby! Can't wait to see what it'll do on a 6x4, which I intend to try next outing.

*(& come to think of it, that was into a quartering headwind)
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 25, 2011, 06:42 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,533 Posts
Quote:
Does anyone knows what is the inside diameter of the motor opening on bixler? I am planning to put 2826 outrunner motor inside.

Thanks.
Considering the stocker is a 2620 on stacked spacers, you should have plenty of room. I'll measure it if you still need the info.....but caliper's in the workshop & I ain't in a walkin' mood rat now.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by StarHopper44; Oct 25, 2011 at 07:06 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 07:01 AM
Joined Jun 2008
274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
38 ounces is a real porker. That's nearly twice a stock Skysurfer. I flew one SS at 31 ounces because of the 250 LEDs but it flies heavy. Rule of thumb to apply for future builds -- build to fly, not to crash.
+1. If you fly at a field, any experienced flyer really shouldn't crash. Maybe a rough landing, but if you fly 1 or 2 mistakes high you should be OK. These EPO planes are so tough on there own. This plane needs very little reinforcing.....Thick tube in the wings, small tubes under the belly and stab. Then a little strapping tape under the belly.....
aclinml is offline Find More Posts by aclinml
Old Oct 25, 2011, 07:01 AM
There's magic in those wings !
Joined Nov 2006
4,846 Posts
Midway success ... :)

Hi ..

I flew my Heavy FPV Bixler this morning .. another 3 packs .. with a CG at 7.35 cm from LE... it flew great and I'm getting more solid feel of it .. I feel more relaxed when flying it ..

I can finally say that I like my Bixler .. wow .. it was a long way to this stage ..

now some more practicing then I'll lose the dummy weight and put on the FPV gear and fly fpv and see how it goes .. I'll ask a friend to fly it for me until I get used to flying the plane from the cockpit view .. then we will both fly the plane using a trainer cord so he can engage when I'm in trouble

Thanks a lot to all of you guys .. I really appreciate your help

Khaled
khaled_abobakr is offline Find More Posts by khaled_abobakr
Old Oct 25, 2011, 07:16 AM
There's magic in those wings !
Joined Nov 2006
4,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by netsurfr View Post
Well got my new Bixler built & took her up for maiden today. Overall good flight but have some questions. First some info on my setup.

I did the following mods: removed weights, reinforced body, wing spar, wings, elevator & frame w/ CF and/or extreme packing tape. I used dubro hinge tape in control surfaces & used white gorilla glue on the control horns to make sure they don't come off. I also installed 2 small dubro nylon wing skids where the wings would come into contact w/ the ground to protect the wing & added one on the tail where the foam would hit the ground during landing. I used industrial velcro to keep wings together. I'm using stock motor & servos w/ an APC 6x4 prop & a hobbywing 40a esc I had laying around and ar600. Bench test showed about 190W w/ 12A & my AUW with a 2200mah lipo & keychain cam on the nose is about 750g (27oz) which is about 100g more than HK's website stated flying weight. I set her up for flaperons/spoilerons and didn't notice a huge difference w/ flaps deployed but need more testing.

My first flight was about 20 minutes in moderate winds w/ some nice video footage. Was primarilly running motor to gain altitude & glide from there. ESC & battery were like warm when landed so that's great & lipo cells were at 3.7v so also good. I'm waiting on a gps data logger so I can add alitimeter, speed, heading gauges to my videos & show it as a HUD using dashware. Not planning on doing FPV but like the flight info on my videos. Will also be hooking up telemetry to monitor real time flight voltage, radio signal issues, & altitude.

So here are my questions...

1. Does the 190W of power seem right for stock motor?

2. She flew fine but didn't seem to have as much vertical as I expected. Seemed to stop climbing as fast at about 300 - 400 feet & I needed to "fly" my way higher so wondering if other experienced this.

3. This is my first pusher prop glider. I had a radian w/ a folding prop so w/ the Bixler I noticed that when I cut throttle I could hear the prop spinning during flight so wondering if I should be using the ESC brake to prevent this because I'm wondering if this is creating drag? I didn't turn the ESC brake on because I assumed that's only for folding props but now wondering!

Overall I really like her. Smaller than the Radian so easier to transport & sturdier & w/ ailerons so able to fly her like a real plane vs just RET. Now if I can get the climbing issue figured out & get my gps & telemetry hooked up so I can shoot some cool video I'll be all set!
Hi ..

IMHO.. you should change the stock control horns to something more reliable made out of nylon .. like these

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...mm_10pcs_.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...mm_10pcs_.html

Khaled
khaled_abobakr is offline Find More Posts by khaled_abobakr
Old Oct 25, 2011, 07:29 AM
Joined Jun 2008
274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccvets View Post
thats with the battery.

BTW: can anyone tell me what servo to get? My elevator servo seems to be dead as when I pull back i hear a clicking noise and I think it some how stripped the gears. I have no idea how the stock plastic gears stripped out when I havent even flown it once! I was thinking a metal gear 9gram servo but im not sure exactly how to buy them.
will this work http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9392
???

the worst part is that I have to break the damn fuse in half to get to the stupid servo, I guess I'll just go ahead and stick that 2600kv motor in there while everything else is apart.

thanks

P.S. I did a power off glide test and it seems to glide nicely. It actually floated pretty nicely considering how heavy it is. Im not exactly sure how its suppose to power off glide test though, how should it fly?
I use these in all my planes....cheap + free shipping.......

http://www.enjoyhobbies.biz/servo/em...tal-gear-servo
aclinml is offline Find More Posts by aclinml
Old Oct 25, 2011, 08:18 AM
Joined Feb 2007
2,071 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaled_abobakr View Post
Hi ..

I flew my Heavy FPV Bixler this morning .. another 3 packs .. with a CG at 7.35 cm from LE... it flew great and I'm getting more solid feel of it .. I feel more relaxed when flying it ..

I can finally say that I like my Bixler .. wow .. it was a long way to this stage ..

now some more practicing then I'll lose the dummy weight and put on the FPV gear and fly fpv and see how it goes .. I'll ask a friend to fly it for me until I get used to flying the plane from the cockpit view .. then we will both fly the plane using a trainer cord so he can engage when I'm in trouble

Thanks a lot to all of you guys .. I really appreciate your help

Khaled
Glad you finally got it up! Great news to hear.
healthyfatboy is offline Find More Posts by healthyfatboy