HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2011, 04:38 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2 Posts
Hi,

Just put my Skysurfer together.. everything seem ok However, when I test the wing flaps when One goes up the other goes down and vice versa. Checked the wiring and it seems ok. Anyone any ideas?

Thanks for the help

Jacobyte
jacobyte969 is offline Find More Posts by jacobyte969
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2011, 04:44 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobyte969 View Post
Hi,

Just put my Skysurfer together.. everything seem ok However, when I test the wing flaps when One goes up the other goes down and vice versa. Checked the wiring and it seems ok. Anyone any ideas?

Thanks for the help

Jacobyte
They aren't flaps. They are ailerons... unless I've missed a SS clone that comes with flaps?

EDIT: Wait... are you baiting us? Did I just fall for getting "punked"?
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Oct 24, 2011, 04:46 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
They aren't flaps. They are ailerons... unless I've missed a SS clone that comes with flaps?

LOl point taken the ailerons dont move in synch...
jacobyte969 is offline Find More Posts by jacobyte969
Old Oct 24, 2011, 04:51 PM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idletime View Post
Sooo...any news on V3 and if its available other that BH (word is CS is not very good).

The reason I ask is my AXN (cloudsFly) is pretty beat-up (learned to fly on it) and if I'm going to replace my floater, the SS seems the way to go - bigger and has more room for FPV.

The new Easystar II seems well put together but likely much more $$$ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=TPRM2RRwYIA).

Any comments?
i fly with a bunch of AXN cloudfloaters...they are much faster and a little bit more nimble than the SS/bixler in stock form. but your right the bixler has a ton more room for fpv stuff
shadow102 is online now Find More Posts by shadow102
Old Oct 24, 2011, 05:15 PM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobyte969 View Post
Hi,

Thanks for the help

Jacobyte
If you mean the ailerons, that is how they are supposed to function. Its mechanical. The servo is mounded in reverse side to side to create opposite movements..... on purpose.
jrjr is online now Find More Posts by jrjr
Old Oct 24, 2011, 05:25 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

Rly.
And I liked the "and vice versa" part.
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2011, 07:59 PM
Joined Aug 2009
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
OK. Is the 38.5 ounces with or without a battery?
thats with the battery.

BTW: can anyone tell me what servo to get? My elevator servo seems to be dead as when I pull back i hear a clicking noise and I think it some how stripped the gears. I have no idea how the stock plastic gears stripped out when I havent even flown it once! I was thinking a metal gear 9gram servo but im not sure exactly how to buy them.
will this work http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9392
???

the worst part is that I have to break the damn fuse in half to get to the stupid servo, I guess I'll just go ahead and stick that 2600kv motor in there while everything else is apart.

thanks

P.S. I did a power off glide test and it seems to glide nicely. It actually floated pretty nicely considering how heavy it is. Im not exactly sure how its suppose to power off glide test though, how should it fly?
eccvets is offline Find More Posts by eccvets
Last edited by eccvets; Oct 24, 2011 at 08:59 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 09:06 PM
Joined Mar 2011
4,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccvets View Post
thats with the battery.

BTW: can anyone tell me what servo to get? My elevator servo seems to be dead as when I pull back i hear a clicking noise and I think it some how stripped the gears. I have no idea how the stock plastic gears stripped out when I havent even flown it once! I was thinking a metal gear 9gram servo but im not sure exactly how to buy them.
will this work http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9392
???

the worst part is that I have to break the damn fuse in half to get to the stupid servo, I guess I'll just go ahead and stick that 2600kv motor in there while everything else is apart.

thanks

P.S. I did a power off glide test and it seems to glide nicely. It actually floated pretty nicely considering how heavy it is. Im not exactly sure how its suppose to power off glide test though, how should it fly?
mg90s, mg-14, corona 939 digital, exi d213f, ect are all decent cheap metal gear servos. Though i would be willing to bet a set of HXT900/t-pro SG90 would be more than enough on the plane
Old Oct 24, 2011, 09:12 PM
Joined Mar 2011
4,313 Posts
just weighed my bixler with all my equipment and batteries installed. AUW: 32.2oz

Flys just fine at this weight like i said just a little sluggish in a straight line but i would rather have the extended flight time instead of upgrading the motor
Old Oct 24, 2011, 09:13 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,243 Posts
HXT900s or equivalent are all this plane needs. More is overkill and a waste of money. Gears strip because of a crash, mishandling, simply infant mortality.

Bill
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2011, 09:15 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow102 View Post
mg90s, mg-14, corona 939 digital, exi d213f, ect are all decent cheap metal gear servos. Though i would be willing to bet a set of HXT900/t-pro SG90 would be more than enough on the plane
I got the HXT900's. $2.69 each? Who'd have ever though "more reliable" servos would ever be THAT cheap!
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Oct 24, 2011, 09:38 PM
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Jul 2009
620 Posts
Bixler Maidened

Well got my new Bixler built & took her up for maiden today. Overall good flight but have some questions. First some info on my setup.

I did the following mods: removed weights, reinforced body, wing spar, wings, elevator & frame w/ CF and/or extreme packing tape. I used dubro hinge tape in control surfaces & used white gorilla glue on the control horns to make sure they don't come off. I also installed 2 small dubro nylon wing skids where the wings would come into contact w/ the ground to protect the wing & added one on the tail where the foam would hit the ground during landing. I used industrial velcro to keep wings together. I'm using stock motor & servos w/ an APC 6x4 prop & a hobbywing 40a esc I had laying around and ar600. Bench test showed about 190W w/ 12A & my AUW with a 2200mah lipo & keychain cam on the nose is about 750g (27oz) which is about 100g more than HK's website stated flying weight. I set her up for flaperons/spoilerons and didn't notice a huge difference w/ flaps deployed but need more testing.

My first flight was about 20 minutes in moderate winds w/ some nice video footage. Was primarilly running motor to gain altitude & glide from there. ESC & battery were like warm when landed so that's great & lipo cells were at 3.7v so also good. I'm waiting on a gps data logger so I can add alitimeter, speed, heading gauges to my videos & show it as a HUD using dashware. Not planning on doing FPV but like the flight info on my videos. Will also be hooking up telemetry to monitor real time flight voltage, radio signal issues, & altitude.

So here are my questions...

1. Does the 190W of power seem right for stock motor?

2. She flew fine but didn't seem to have as much vertical as I expected. Seemed to stop climbing as fast at about 300 - 400 feet & I needed to "fly" my way higher so wondering if other experienced this.

3. This is my first pusher prop glider. I had a radian w/ a folding prop so w/ the Bixler I noticed that when I cut throttle I could hear the prop spinning during flight so wondering if I should be using the ESC brake to prevent this because I'm wondering if this is creating drag? I didn't turn the ESC brake on because I assumed that's only for folding props but now wondering!

Overall I really like her. Smaller than the Radian so easier to transport & sturdier & w/ ailerons so able to fly her like a real plane vs just RET. Now if I can get the climbing issue figured out & get my gps & telemetry hooked up so I can shoot some cool video I'll be all set!
netsurfr is offline Find More Posts by netsurfr
Last edited by netsurfr; Oct 24, 2011 at 10:11 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 09:43 PM
Joined Jun 2011
207 Posts
Love the Bixler! Here's my first attempt at going aerial still photography with it:

http://www.ilovefpv.com/2011/10/aeri...-bixler-gopro/
ilovefpv is offline Find More Posts by ilovefpv
Old Oct 24, 2011, 10:23 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovefpv View Post
Love the Bixler! Here's my first attempt at going aerial still photography with it:

http://www.ilovefpv.com/2011/10/aeri...-bixler-gopro/
I checked out your pictures. When I went to the link the aspect ratio looked squished horizontally, but when I copied the link into here it looks fine.

Very good!.

Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2011, 10:33 PM
Joined Jun 2011
207 Posts
Thanks Prof ! I needed to take many of the upgrades from this thread before I was comfortable putting the GoPro on the Bixler, but now it is a very solid platform.

In fact I've been flying it over water lately (which makes many of my flying buddies cringe). But that makes for some amazing video... ;-)
ilovefpv is offline Find More Posts by ilovefpv