HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 23, 2011, 06:41 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,684 Posts
This morning was developing so luvly with barely a whisper of wind, & I finally couldn't stand it no mo'....grabbed up the Bix & the Flight Bag & hauled buggy out to the airfield. Turned out I was the only one there - I guess all them married guys was workin' on their honeydew lists *snicker snicker*. Slipped everything together & the wind had picked up to ~6-8....or maybe it's just that the wind in that big wide open space can't hold itself back, cuz it's always blowin' out there....but I launched & flew two 10 minute flights completely solo. Prepped for the 3rd, launched again & as I turned out at the end of the runway, IT happened.

Remember that one aileron control horn I told about flapping free inside the bag when the Bix first arrived? Which made me, during the build, check the other for how well attached? Welllllll.....guess what decided to let go today. After 2 successful flights.

Long story short, I had just started turning and it suddenly snap-rolled right & nosed in hard from about 15' up & on ~3/4 throttle. So quick all I had time to do was watch it. Flipped over on its back & blew the prop, nose is a li'l smudged (it did hit in plowed dirt, at least) & ~1" crack in foam at back of cockpit, & the halves split on top from the front scoop back to the cockpit. Hopefully, a li'l Foam-Tack & we're back in business. Somewhere between the crash site just off end of the runway & back at the clubhouse, I lost the dang pushrod, so gonna have to make one of those first.

*sigh*....Oh well, I guess it was just a matter of time. Sure wouldn't have minded waitin' a while longer tho! At least it was a kinda soft one.
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2011, 06:46 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozair View Post
Yes AJ, the pictures provided by Bill are very informative (thanks for posting Prof), for me anyway.

I just purchased this one http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ESky-0008...item1e644703c0

to play around with and get a feel of what they can do.
A girlies toy.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 23, 2011, 08:50 AM
FPV Noob
United Kingdom, Scotland, Aberdeen
Joined Jun 2011
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by protocol View Post
Hey fps,

I use Detrum GY48v on my PZ P-51 on windy days, but plan on adding one to my Bixler. I turn it on to 30% rate mode using my gear switch on TX:
http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-dy-1017.html

... just a cheap gyro with headlock and rate mode, you'll need rate mode for an airplane, headlock isn't much use.

I don't know anything about the HK ones, but this thread has all the info needed: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1035605
Hey, thanks very much for all the info, very helpful, I'll look @ getting the one you kindly suggested

happy flying
Al
fpsazerbaijan is offline Find More Posts by fpsazerbaijan
Old Oct 23, 2011, 09:15 AM
Joined Jul 2008
93 Posts
Hi ppl.
Where you buy carbon tube good quality?
I look on HK but some ppl not happy and note its easy broke or not so strengh.
messir is offline Find More Posts by messir
Old Oct 23, 2011, 09:35 AM
There's magic in those wings !
Joined Nov 2006
4,851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by messir View Post
Hi ppl.
Where you buy carbon tube good quality?
I look on HK but some ppl not happy and note its easy broke or not so strengh.
Try acpsales.com... top quality composites ..

Khaled
khaled_abobakr is offline Find More Posts by khaled_abobakr
Old Oct 23, 2011, 09:37 AM
There's magic in those wings !
Joined Nov 2006
4,851 Posts
Bixler in windy days

Hi ..

I wonder on what kind of windy days I still can fly my Bixler.. ??

Is 15 MPH too much for the Bixler ??

Thanks a lot

Khaled
khaled_abobakr is offline Find More Posts by khaled_abobakr
Old Oct 23, 2011, 09:40 AM
SARG5
10 Miles north of Russell, Ks. on US281 hy
Joined Oct 2009
655 Posts
Take a VERY HARD look at Carbon RIBBON, Not TUBE. you can purchase it at
www.canuckengineering.com CARBON RIBBON .032 X .310 X 60 in. 2 sticks are more then enough for the WINGS, FRONT FUZ. AND TAIL FATHERS.
SARG5
SARG5 is offline Find More Posts by SARG5
Old Oct 23, 2011, 10:17 AM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
You guys can bob & weave any way you want to,
I don't bob or weave.

but when a plane traveling at X groundspeed turns into a wind of X+1> mph, and maintains the same altitude (to prevent another dodge), the insurmountable fact is that plane is going to be blown backwards or farther away, and won't make progress traveling directly into that wind without increasing power to the engine.

You added the power increase part on a later post.

.which is what we were talking about in the first place.
I was responding to this original post. Not reading anything more into it then what was posted.

This is what we were talking about in the first place.

Yo Teddie...
Not sure I follow ya there, bud. Upwind puts a heavier load on the plane for the prop/motor to pull. &c.

Now screw all that. On to important stuff.
I got through the road block and am now in Cape Coral FL. I need to get a new bathing suit, my old one has a hole in the elbow.

Philm at 11.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Oct 23, 2011, 10:30 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkumagai View Post
Per AJ's request.

Attachment 4366611
Attachment 4366612
Attachment 4366613
Attachment 4366614
New stock 2.3mm collet adapter and 5" prop. Propeller feels pretty rigid.
Attachment 4366615
Stock adapter (left), and HeadsUpRC 2.3mm collet adapter (right)
Attachment 4366616
Attachment 4366624
6mm wing spar. I originally thought the walls were thicker than in earlier versions, but a 4mm rod still fits inside. It does, however, feel exceptionally rigid.
Attachment 4366625

Dkumagai,
Thanx from me too on your pix -- AT LAST!!

They raised a few questions for me. First, please look straight down on your motor -- is the output shaft canted to one side or other, or straight inline with the fuse seam?

I also noted hinge reinforcing tape on the elevator & rudder -- yours or theirs??

And this one might apply to others more than you; the pilot figure....I think I remember seeing in some pix the pilot had a face, rather than this painted-out looking jet helmet. True or is my memory just defective?

Thx, guy....and welcome to the madness!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 23, 2011, 10:44 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
[

Now screw all that. On to important stuff.
I got through the road block and am now in Cape Coral FL. I need to get a new bathing suit, my old one has a hole in the elbow.

Philm at 11.
No problems my mate. I have a couple of them that have not been used. 1920 style Full body.
Now you drive safely you hear.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 23, 2011, 11:29 AM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,604 Posts
Quote:
No, it's in Georgia -- that's the Florida state line in the background.
You should've known that from the mass exodus in progress. (Word spread quickly.)

The pushcart is a peanut vendor. Furthermore, it's actually a state vehicle.
Opps. My mistake. Been in Florida for 23 years and just plain forgot about the boiled peanut vehicles used by our Admin.

As for the mass exodus!!! Somehow i missed getting that memo. "Snap" Now i have to live in the same state as Gene. Only kidding.
Eagle202 is online now Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Oct 23, 2011, 11:37 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
AJ
I purchased my SS from BH last July. The paperwork states it is a V3. I have attached a picture of the transmitter to this replay.
Vince
While we're comparing Tx pix, this ('cept for the hula skirt) is the 6-ch unit I got from HK with my RTF ARF Bix - the HK6DF. Any Bix owners get something different?
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by StarHopper44; Oct 23, 2011 at 01:23 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 11:45 AM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,604 Posts
Quote:
Dkumagai,
Thanx from me too on your pix -- AT LAST!!

They raised a few questions for me. First, please look straight down on your motor -- is the output shaft canted to one side or other, or straight inline with the fuse seam?

I also noted hinge reinforcing tape on the elevator & rudder -- yours or theirs??

And this one might apply to others more than you; the pilot figure....I think I remember seeing in some pix the pilot had a face, rather than this painted-out looking jet helmet. True or is my memory just defective?

Thx, guy....and welcome to the madness!
My SS had the same painted visor on the pilot. No face. I attached a few more pix including the info on the box stating my blade is a 5 x 8. It does measure 5 inches but heck if i know how to determine if the 8 is correct.
Vince
Eagle202 is online now Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Oct 23, 2011, 12:33 PM
Serge
Россия, Калужская область, город Калуга
Joined Jun 2011
686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrjr View Post
In fact in a brisk wind you can actually achieve 0 ground speed
Gota video of that happening to my SkyS.
Even had to prove to friends it was not a helicopter.
Need a permeation to post it if anyone interested.
ua3xds is offline Find More Posts by ua3xds