HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 20, 2011, 01:22 PM
USA, NY, Endicott
Joined Oct 2010
227 Posts
Pictures

A couple of pictures of final assembly from my Blog.....
Ron
Papo_60 is offline Find More Posts by Papo_60
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2011, 01:39 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyfatboy View Post
You can record any number of flights without having the unload the data ...[SNIP]
Okeydoke....thanks for that. It'll be neat if you can record 3-4 flights without the hassle between each.

I'll tell ya one thing I wish they had....a cheap heading (compass) sensor without having to go to the full GPS. That'd make it pretty easy to relate readings to which way you were traveling re wind direction or flight pattern. Seems it'd a pretty easy thing to develop, with all the tech they've built in already.
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2011, 01:44 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnycig View Post
Hello,

This is my 4th FPV plane flight and it seems there is a problem in the stock bixler motor or exceed 40 amp esc Im running. There is a high pitched squeal at random times. The attached link is from a 808 cam I had attached since its better quality than the cam I fly with. I lost my signal at 2 miles and when the Eagle Tree RTH kicked in I got the noise. My amps also jumped from about 7 to 18-20 during the noise. This has happened on 2 previous flights and the RTH also engaged then. Im not sure if this is a motor, esc, osd pro, or other problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxa8aZS-Iyk
Its just asking for crash.
I had the same noise on my AXN floater and it would come up randomly.
Changed the timing on ESC to high and the squeal disappeared.
I like to add that I did not have that problem before till just out of blue sky it started squealing. So I have a feeling that ESC reset itself somehow by itself or I did it unknowingly.
So give try.
On the other hand I rarely trust stock electronics especially for FPV.
nakelp86 is online now Find More Posts by nakelp86
Old Oct 20, 2011, 01:47 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papo_60 View Post
OK guys, I completed about 95% of my SkyS build log. I have it on my newly created blog. (Just click on Papo_60 to the left.) ...Ron

Haven't read it in detail Ron, but from a quick browse-thru & reading in spots, looks like you did a fantastic job of documenting your build, with plenty of references & photos. Congrats! I wouldn't hesitate to send a noob to it for a 'Guide To Do It Right'! Pat yourself on the back there, bud!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2011, 01:52 PM
Joined Jan 2007
2,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Okeydoke....thanks for that. It'll be neat if you can record 3-4 flights without the hassle between each.

I'll tell ya one thing I wish they had....a cheap heading (compass) sensor without having to go to the full GPS. That'd make it pretty easy to relate readings to which way you were traveling re wind direction or flight pattern. Seems it'd a pretty easy thing to develop, with all the tech they've built in already.
The problem with a compass (try it at home) is unless it's flat, or a 3-axis compass with some leveling compensation, it won't work and it won't be cheap.
I guess if you fly straight without gaining any altitude, turn only with your rudder and keep your wings level, it would work though!
healthyfatboy is offline Find More Posts by healthyfatboy
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2011, 01:58 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakelp86 View Post
Its just asking for crash.
I had the same noise on my AXN floater and it would come up randomly.
Changed the timing on ESC to high and the squeal disappeared.
I like to add that I did not have that problem before till just out of blue sky it started squealing. So I have a feeling that ESC reset itself somehow by itself or I did it unknowingly.
So give try.
On the other hand I rarely trust stock electronics especially for FPV.
Gunny, I'm no expert by any means but, I watched the vid a couple times thru....and seems like it stopped each time associated with a 'move'. Hearing that it only happens when RTH is engaged, I might think system electrical works (eg, voltage) has something to do with it. Rather than it being mechanical. As in, the recognition/bind process chirps are actually coming from the motor itself. I'm also kind've basing that on some similarly odd noises from mine when I knew the LiPo was fairly depleted.

You might can confirm at least that part of it by installing a very fresh battery & getting it a good distance away as quickly as possible, kick in the RTH & see if that introduces the squeal....disengage & see if it's gone. Would narrow down the possible causes, can't speak for the condition however. If it doesn't do it on full vs not-full, seems that'd be even more indicative.

When you sleuth it out, let us know what you found. Interesting!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2011, 02:01 PM
Registered Noob
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined May 2011
313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papo_60 View Post
OK guys, I completed about 95% of my SkyS build log. I have it on my newly created blog. (Just click on Papo_60 to the left.)
Great resource! I'll be referring to it all the way through my upcoming build.

thanks!
protocol is offline Find More Posts by protocol
Old Oct 20, 2011, 02:07 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron RC View Post
Gord, actually it is pretty accurate for a down and dirty quick setup. I like the scale I used because it has a max hold feature and you don't have to keep an eye on it while revving up and beeps when going to hold. Plus I use it for weighing my planes. This is the one I used http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-he...ale-97227.html And yes, lots quicker than cutting wooden parts, kinda like the old Tinker Toys when putting together. Keep us posted on your design, I'm sure we will all be interested.

Ron
Thanks for pointing out that 'max hold' feature Ron. It makes that scale a lot more attractive. I didn't see it mentioned on Harbor Freight or even in the manual. They might sell more of those things if they would list that feature! Nor do they mention the resolution or minimum reading. Do you have any idea of approximately what they are?

Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Old Oct 20, 2011, 02:08 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,401 Posts
Quote:
The problem with a compass (try it at home) is unless it's flat, or a 3-axis compass with some leveling compensation, it won't work and it won't be cheap.
I guess if you fly straight without gaining any altitude, turn only with your rudder and keep your wings level, it would work though!
Oh, I know. I's thinking GPS-based (which isn't so affected) without all the calculation & readout for positional data stuff. Like the digital compasses used in hand-held (ie hiker's types) GPSr's we use in geocaching. As long as they're moving at walking speed (2-3mph) you can purt-well depend on the heading they indicate....no needles or leveling involved.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2011, 02:27 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnycig View Post
Hello,

This is my 4th FPV plane flight and it seems there is a problem in the stock bixler motor or exceed 40 amp esc Im running. There is a high pitched squeal at random times. The attached link is from a 808 cam I had attached since its better quality than the cam I fly with. I lost my signal at 2 miles and when the Eagle Tree RTH kicked in I got the noise. My amps also jumped from about 7 to 18-20 during the noise. This has happened on 2 previous flights and the RTH also engaged then. Im not sure if this is a motor, esc, osd pro, or other problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxa8aZS-Iyk
As someone else mentioned, it is a problem with your ESC and your motor getting out of step. I had one motor/ESC combination where changing the timing of the ESC cured the problem completely. But some ESCs and motors just don't play together well. I have a Hacker motor in my Funcub and with the Plush ESC I tried at first they would not stay in step on any setting available in the ESC. I put a Hacker ESC in it and it never squeals at all. Try the timing. If that doesn't work. try a different ESC.

One other thing I saw somewhere was that over propping the motor can be another source of the problem. If the motor is not able to accelerate quickly enough it falls behind the pulses from the ESC. You probably noticed that the squeal occurred when the throttle was suddenly opened wide. Then, when it was closed temporarily and opened up more gradually everything was fine.

Gord
Old Oct 20, 2011, 02:32 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Okay, here are my results using the ET data.

There you have it. I can finally mark it off as done!
Great data! I like the way the Eagle Tree application formats the graphs.

How did you measure the servo current? Does that require a special sensor? If that data is accurate, we are certainly worrying way too much about the BEC being overtaxed. Never even got above half an amp!

Gord
Old Oct 20, 2011, 02:51 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,711 Posts
Quote:
Wow - I'm in candyland!!

To Ozzy and HFB:
What were the LiPo pack(s) you each used, and their normal & burst ('C') ratings? Might that have affected the numbers??

To HFB:
Were your full-throttle readings made during straight & level flights, ie no climbing, or turns where the loading (or unloading, depending on direction of turn) on the prop would've had some effect?
[[Addendum: Haven't 'blown up' your thumbnails & read, yet....just reading off the board here.]]

Or even, upwind vs downwind legs? That's one thing I'm interested in testing with my EagleTree when it arrives. Planning on setting 'er to steady half-throttle, & just flying some identical rectangle patterns to study that. And seems that's one area where bench-testing can provide some 'steadier' comparative data.
Upwind, downwind, crosswind... Doesn't exist for an aircraft not in contact with the ground.

Ted
G550Ted is offline Find More Posts by G550Ted
Old Oct 20, 2011, 03:00 PM
Space is the answer
Australia, VIC, Warneet
Joined Mar 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
Wow - I'm in candyland!!

To Ozzy and HFB:
What were the LiPo pack(s) you each used, and their normal & burst ('C') ratings? Might that have affected the numbers??
SH although I stated in the post with my 1st results for the 2212/6 2200 motor that I used a Turnigy 2200 mAh 20C with 30C burst (which is what I thought I was using) after checking again to answer your post it was actually a Turnigy 2200 mAh 25C with 35C burst.

I have already corrected my original post.
ozair is offline Find More Posts by ozair
Old Oct 20, 2011, 03:10 PM
Space is the answer
Australia, VIC, Warneet
Joined Mar 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
Hi Oz;
Not to answer for him, but I'm pretty sure it was. (We've been comparing some notes 'backstage'). This more to say, you should be able to get it for more like $42-3 (USD - maybe that's the diff?). I'm not sure how HK's 'Buddy Code' thing works, but if my purchase enables one, I'd be happy to pass it along for your benefit if interested (or anyone else).

&&&
PS: HFB....What exactly is 'fuselage temperature'??
SH I definitely want to buy one but like you I also don't understand how this buddy code works, can anyone explain how it works?

If I can buy it at the price you indicate then I would be interested as it would be like free shipping on the price I can get for which is $ 48-.

Tell me does HK also sell the sensors, link please.
ozair is offline Find More Posts by ozair
Old Oct 20, 2011, 03:11 PM
Joined Jul 2008
93 Posts
Today my bixler crashed coz wigs jump from slot. As result, brocken carbon tube. Pls guys, tell me which diameter this tube so I will buy new one.
messir is offline Find More Posts by messir