SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 18, 2011, 07:56 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Nope, not mad at all. I's just explaining MY take & where it sits in the big picture....meaning there's other considerations when it comes to this particular thing.

And in short, no apologies needed, much less expected....and friendship isn't involved in any way. Best said is yes, you read it wrong....or hell, maybe I wrote it wrong. Not worth gettin' all angsty over.

I still vote 'no' on Page1 how-to on videos....peops gonna do what they gonna do, & me nor you gonna ever be able to change that. Don't sweat it, just know where your controls are, & use 'em to suit your tastes.

I too dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives constantly questioned.

For your video, let me share my Oscar with you.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2011, 09:25 PM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,360 Posts
just finished putting my FPV stuff on my bixler cant wait to fly it friday assuming the weather holds up. had to add a 800mah 3s upfront to balance out the plane with the TX on the tail boom
shadow102 is offline Find More Posts by shadow102
Old Oct 18, 2011, 09:51 PM
Space is the answer
Australia, VIC, Warneet
Joined Mar 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordks View Post
The little 'feelers' are actually at a right angle to, and at the zero point of the calibrated horizontals. Those 'feelers' extend up in front of the wing to locate the leading edge above the zero point of the calibrations. The horizontal runs back, under the wing, through the plastic piece supporting the wing, where the distance from the balance point to the leading edge can be read. Hope that makes sense. If not I do have a camera. It would probably have saved quite a few words.

Gord
I went to the Tower Hobbies site and downloaded the manual for it. all is clear now.
ozair is offline Find More Posts by ozair
Old Oct 18, 2011, 09:59 PM
Space is the answer
Australia, VIC, Warneet
Joined Mar 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron RC View Post
Here is my $5 (literally)CG machine I built fashioned after the Great Planes one. If you don't glue the sections of the PVC pipe together, it is completely adjustable and collapsible to take to the field. I have my rulers setup for inches, but easily could be set to mm. The plane balances on 2 round head machine bolts. Very gentle on foam wings. I have a list of materials and dimensions and prices from a local Lowes around here somewhere if anyone is interested. I love working with pvc tubing and you may have seen my Thrust Machine I built out of PVC in an earlier post. I also used the 2 dowels in the 2x4 but the darn thing kept falling over and then went "high tech"

Ron
Ron you are a YouTube Celebrity, here is video on your CG machine (this is what I used to build it)

Ron RC's CG Machine (15 min 3 sec)

and this is your thrust machine

Ron RC Thrust Machine (10 min 13 sec)
Old Oct 18, 2011, 10:02 PM
Space is the answer
Australia, VIC, Warneet
Joined Mar 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke2000 View Post
I followed that thread with the powered glider. The guy was new and didn't know which way the flaps were supposed to go. What's amazing is that within a few weeks of that, this plane was set up with flaps and crow, what a fast learner. He's well into giving good advise at this stage.
Just shows by following the information in these threads, how quickly one learns!
You've got it.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 10:12 PM
Space is the answer
Australia, VIC, Warneet
Joined Mar 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
This is how I did mine on my EZ*
Thanks Gene and especially for showing us FP's machine, all this hoo-ha about gyros from him is just a ploy, obviously he loves them so much (even carries back ups in case of failure) that he doesn't want us to know what a girl he is
Old Oct 18, 2011, 10:25 PM
Space is the answer
Australia, VIC, Warneet
Joined Mar 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
It was a 32 foot trailer and I drank took out 1/2 the beer. That's why in my original post I said I loaded a 16ft trailer.
Truck doesnt leave until late Friday night.
Took a test run down by StarBummer's house to see how it handles. Didn't stop in, he's still recovering from the Hurricane.
Gene, by the time you leave on Friday night SH will have his place all prepared and from what I hear is very much looking forward to your visit. Just a word or warning though, be very careful of his 3 Rotties, if they give you any trouble just let Lulu loose on them, that will fix them up.

BTW when you get to Ted's make sure you get a picture of his still and post for us all to enjoy. He's making out as though he doesn't have one but I am sure you wont be stooged by that. Anyway if he persists just get Oscar to sniff it out
Old Oct 18, 2011, 10:28 PM
Space is the answer
Australia, VIC, Warneet
Joined Mar 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
I think GENE's installation above pretty much covers the visual of a basic installation. Then, you would be ready to read to learn about gyros. HERE is a basic course and an EXCELLENT video about using gyros. it is a really good tool to learn all about gyros. Enjoy.
AJ
I now have some reading to do, thanks again AJ.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 10:44 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2011
286 Posts
Hey folks,

Long time reader, first time poster. First, I'd like to thank everyone who's contributed here on this thread. There is a wealth of information in these 600 some pages. I just received my ARF SS in the mail today from BH, still waiting on my other parts from HK. If anyone is curious, I was shipped a V2 (V3 according to BH's site). It was a pleasant surprise considering I was told I would essentially get a v1.

The fuselage and wings appear to be in great shape so I'm pretty stoked. Unfortunately, the fuselage came glued with the motor mounted which brings me to my questions.

1. Is there a good way of removing the nose weight from the v2 fuselage? I would prefer to not have to split my fuselage since it's already glued, but if I have to I will. I suppose that would also grant me an opportunity to reinforce the fuse with some carbon fiber. Also, how difficult is this to do?

2. How is the motor affixed? I didn't notice any glue in the mounting hole, but it feels quite solidly mounted. I would like to be able to remove the motor to correct the slight angle in the mounted position and to give me options for future upgrades. What is the best way of releasing the stock BL motor from the mount?

Sorry if these questions have been previously answered, but it's not on the front page and it would take forever to wade through this entire thread.

Best regards,
D
Dkumagai is offline Find More Posts by Dkumagai
Last edited by Dkumagai; Oct 18, 2011 at 11:07 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 11:16 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozair View Post
Teddy, have a look at this video (about 1.25 min mark onwards) and you will see this cg machine in use. It appears that the plane is placed on the small ball tipped "feelers"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QUIVMGsxcU
Oz,

Just now got the chance to watch the vid. If you look close you can see that the glider isn't balancing on the "feelers". In fact, it's the "feelers" that are keeping it from flying off the balancer when he powers it up. I'm gonna stay a two fingers or eraser-tipped dowels guy. The price is right and it includes shipping.

Ted

Oops, never mind. I just saw your later post.
G550Ted is offline Find More Posts by G550Ted
Old Oct 18, 2011, 11:46 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
I think GENE's installation above pretty much covers the visual of a basic installation. Then, you would be ready to read to learn about gyros. HERE is a basic course and an EXCELLENT video about using gyros. it is a really good tool to learn all about gyros. Enjoy.
AJ
Where's this EXCELLENT video?
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2011, 11:51 PM
Space is the answer
Australia, VIC, Warneet
Joined Mar 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Where's this EXCELLENT video?
Yes, where is it AJ?
Old Oct 19, 2011, 05:03 AM
I used to like trees
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Jul 2011
288 Posts
Quote:
Him opening his beer cans. Counted 7. Not too shabby for a short flight.
BURP!!! Yeah and all while flying the SkyS down on the deck. Am I good or what?
rchank is offline Find More Posts by rchank
Old Oct 19, 2011, 05:18 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,111 Posts
My COG and Prop balancers.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2011, 07:30 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rchank View Post
BURP!!! Yeah and all while flying the SkyS down on the deck. Am I good or what?
What?
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member