368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrjr View Post
Noise -

HUH? What? Loud? Nah not that loud but the other one was

Thrust-

Not just for fish anymore

Airspeed-
Well, maybe you can pick a calm day (no wind) and coerce one of your local law enforcement guys to stop by with his radar unit.
jrjr your getting me into trouble again

As to your 1st item, why do you think I said that the 3 bladed prop was the loudest

For the 2nd item I told ya that I am building a rig which will use my fishing scales.

Now for the 3rd item you obviously are not familiar with the policy enforcement officers down here. If I asked them to help with this I would be in all sorts of trouble, they would want to bill me for thier time and equipment, no thanks, got to get an anemometer
ozair is offline Find More Posts by ozair
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2011, 08:08 PM
Space is the answer
Australia, VIC, Warneet
Joined Mar 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G550Ted View Post
Be careful Oz. Those motors can handle only around 28 amps for limited time. A 40 amp ESC is a good idea at that power if you don't have really good cooling provisions for it.

Ted
Thanks for that info Ted.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 08:12 PM
Space is the answer
Australia, VIC, Warneet
Joined Mar 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyfatboy View Post
Hey ozair, did you do those prop measurements on the bench or in the air? Even the APC prop seems to be pulling way more amps than it should be. I know in the air, the amps should be lower but I just wanted to find out for sure.
Working on graphs right now.
All test done on the bench.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 08:21 PM
Space is the answer
Australia, VIC, Warneet
Joined Mar 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
StarHopper wrote (in part):
"I'd wanted this to be an example AJ could maybe post up on Page1 to show newbs & prospective buyers what these planes can do. [snip]

And AJ responded:

Please note emphasis on 'had wanted'.....but I thought I had also made it apparent I knew this product was not up to the standard to be satisfactory for that (Page1) goal. Not worthy, and I knew that.

And then when I see a response such as this, I can't help but feel it is a critique of what I did....seeing it directly attached to my introduction can hardly be taken any other way -- but seeing it also touches several different poiints I know I did not 'transgress', I also know it's directed to "movie making" (for a catchall term) tips for everyone, & not just me.

I would ask 2 things to be taken into consideration:
First - I know how to make better movies....but I'm very limited in what tools I have to work with. I could even find and use workarounds to make this movie better, but it would take a TREMENDOUS investment in both effort and time to do so (in MY case in general and in THIS video's case in specific) but in the end, all it would be is a quick snippet in the few who view its' lives, that would be at best forgotten by tomorrow. So, the long & short equation is, it's not WORTH the time or effort to be made better.

And second, no I'm not a Speilberg....never wanted to be, nor aspired to be one. But that's beside the point. The thing is, eg, 'West Side Story' was magnificent. A Masterpiece. Loved by millions. I .... didn't care for it one whit. If the girl of my dreams offered to take me to see it again, I'd pass.
Obviously, that's MY opinion....and AJ noted his 'tips' are his opinion. THE point here is, I don't care HOW great a job you do, there'll always be a number of folks who, despite your best efforts, won't 'like' it.

Hence my note about not lookin' for any Oscars. I saw it for what it was....10 minutes to burn, not up to the goal for Pg1 placement, and why I basically forewarned those who might not be interested in seeing a tiny plane a long way off, but gave a couple of highlights they might enjoy if they dared to watch. Just as I've been prone to do before - forewarn - and have even gotten sort've 'eat out' over that too. Just as if sound's too loud, you know how to turn it down, I trust the judgment of others to, if 10 minutes is too long, know how to either stop the movie or quit watching, or just not click it in the first place.

So why am I taking the time to spell all this out? Well, when it happens two times in a row immediately after your video, one is drawn to the conclusion others are saying "you're a bad movie maker". A first response might be, "OK, I'll just not be posting any more videos here for these people, so's not to suffer any more slings and arrows". And I'd venture others might have that same reaction.

Me, I tell ya up front -- "I'm a BAD MOVIEMAKER, AND THIS IS A BAD MOVIE. Watch it if you dare." At least I warned you.

And I'm happy with that.

So, does "Making Good Movies" get a place on Page1? This forum isn't about making good movies - so hopeully that answers that. Besides that, you can't even get people to agree on what a good movie is. All that will EVER be is, "I.M.O." Each is what it is, take it or leave it, criticise it - publicly or privately - if you feel you must. I don't. I can click 'Stop' or 'Leave' without saying a word. Publicly or privately - that's a whole new topic I see as coming under "Rudeness vs Good Manners", and it treads a thin line.

Ask me by PM if I'd like some movie-making tips? Short answer: No. Long answer: Don't need 'em.

My 3.
SH that was a terrible video man, what are you doing????
Old Oct 17, 2011, 08:26 PM
Space is the answer
Australia, VIC, Warneet
Joined Mar 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
What!? Well, heck fire we shore nuff have indoor plummin' down here. In fact just last week I put new tar paper on the outhouse roof so's it's "indoors" agin. Seems we had a bit of a problem when the wife's sister's second cuzzin Bubba who is stayin with us tried to light a seegar while he was in the "reading room" and havin another one of his bad GI spells. Wife's been tryin out sum of Paula Deen's recipes in casin we gets company sumtime, and sum of them don't sit too well if you git my drift. Got the door kinda re-hung, too. Dang near blew that thing all the way across the goat enclosure it did!

Bubba is a little better now, so we'll tidy up his room a bit for y'all to stay as long as ya want to. I ain't showin nobody wheres I have my still though.

Ted
Come on Ted, you have to show Gene your still I am so looking forward to his report on the stopover at both SH's and yours.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 08:30 PM
Space is the answer
Australia, VIC, Warneet
Joined Mar 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
AMEN to that, Prof!

Geez guys.....it seems everybody must be 'flying the flag' or something. I say PLEASE let's end this pissing match right here and now.

Here's something I've seen work before:
Open NotePad or something, and write a response to anybody you'd like to address based on the last response......say anything you'd like to them, cuss 'em out, call 'em names....ANYTHING. Then just walk away from your computer & take a few deep breaths (I like to go out back & look at the stars awhile). Leave it open on your desktop awhile or even overnight and when you come back just close it without reading again, pretend you posted it and there never was a reply....so it's not worth discussing & never mention it again.

The long & short of it is, this isn't a contest - there's nothing to be won! And only harm can be brought by it. Imagine any newcomer to this forum, coming to this end of it to see what's currently going on and finding this. You seriously think he'd want to join in & be a part of it? Bottom line, is this doing the forum, or its participants, any good? The simple, yet far-reaching answer is, NO.

I would ask, as Prof suggested, to go so far as going back to all posts where you've said anything personal about anyone and editing it out. Just pretend, if it'll make you feel better, that you "won".....clean up your part of the mess, & let it go. Your cooperation will be very appreciated.

Go Bix!
Your a party pooper SH, how do you think Gene joined this thread. He happened to catch some earlier discussions along the same lines and hopped right in.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 08:47 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,654 Posts
Quote:
AMEN to that, Prof!

Geez guys.....it seems everybody must be 'flying the flag' or something. I say PLEASE let's end this pissing match right here and now.

Here's something I've seen work before:
Open NotePad or something, and write a response to anybody you'd like to address based on the last response......say anything you'd like to them, cuss 'em out, call 'em names....ANYTHING. Then just walk away from your computer & take a few deep breaths (I like to go out back & look at the stars awhile). Leave it open on your desktop awhile or even overnight and when you come back just close it without reading again, pretend you posted it and there never was a reply....so it's not worth discussing & never mention it again.

The long & short of it is, this isn't a contest - there's nothing to be won! And only harm can be brought by it. Imagine any newcomer to this forum, coming to this end of it to see what's currently going on and finding this. You seriously think he'd want to join in & be a part of it? Bottom line, is this doing the forum, or its participants, any good? The simple, yet far-reaching answer is, NO.

I would ask, as Prof suggested, to go so far as going back to all posts where you've said anything personal about anyone and editing it out. Just pretend, if it'll make you feel better, that you "won".....clean up your part of the mess, & let it go. Your cooperation will be very appreciated.

Go Bix!
Hopper,

You and Prof are spot on.

Without intending to prolong this BS any longer, the issue here is the same one that infected the EZ* thread for so long and revolved around the same individual. My post there in the same vein as your's here is what begat the 'bad blood' from that person toward a mere lowly reader. I don't have any ego involved in an internet chat site about some non-consequential hobby interest nor do others who post opinions or challenge dubious information. If I differ in opinion or experience from something posted by another here I shall continue to offer data or make my opinion known unless I am convinced otherwise. And, like you stated in a prior post, that is my OPINION. Take it or leave it, there it is but don't twist it to something personal or whatever. Talk it out or agree to disagree as the case may be. In the meantime, spare me the personal jibes and condescending BS from those that may apply.

Now back to our regular programming.

Like your stated experience following your solo of generating interest in what a great model the Bix/SS is for noobies or old heads alike, I had the pleasure today of handing my transmitter to a buddy to fly mine for two flights. He got re-enthused about RC a few weeks ago seeing me fly mine and me handing him my TX to give it a go. That ended with him asking me to order one for him, and which he has now almost ready to maiden. Another old head at the field also opined his liking of the Bix as something he could fly from his front yard (country boy with a big gasser Cub), so maybe another potential happy camper. Let's keep the good times rolling.

Ted

And let's not forget Gene on his trip. You bring the steaks, I've got the beer. Party time!

edit - About my reputed still. I ain't gots one, nobuddy seen me and youse caint prove it! At least that's how Bart would say it if he was from Joisey.
G550Ted is online now Find More Posts by G550Ted
Last edited by G550Ted; Oct 17, 2011 at 08:53 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 09:20 PM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,497 Posts
Quote:
I agree 1000% about the Db meter - I don't see how noise is gonna relate to flying quality, & that's what we're after. If yer lookin' for a quiet sport, take up bowling.
Not looking for quiet. There was some mention a while ago about the TGS props being the quietest and it was more for curiosity than anything. I run a plane with a weedeater motor and a gutted muffler. Its loud. I like it.

(BTW, congrats on the maiden)
jrjr is online now Find More Posts by jrjr
Old Oct 17, 2011, 09:33 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozair View Post
Come on Ted, you have to show Gene your still I am so looking forward to his report on the stopover at both SH's and yours.
Me too. And my 3 Rotties. They ain't been fed in like, a week & unbelievably they ain't grumbling. I think it's cuz they're so happy to hear Gene's coming.
What's kinda odd, I ain't received any bills in 4 days either -- mail lady has apparently disappeared & ....can't imagine there's any connection.
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2011, 09:51 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,454 Posts
Quote:
Congrats SH! Keep up the good work (practice, practice, practice!), and don't try to establish any new low flying record.

Ted
It's an odd thing about this board....I can read every post as it hits, yet near everytime I have to go back a page to catch up on something, I see posts that were NOT there before! I like nearly everything else about how it's structured, but this is its one main detractor, to me.

Anyway, just now saw that for the first time & thanks so much Ted....wasn't trying to ignore or not thank you for your acknowledgment - it just fell thru the cracks!

That stuff is prolly 'old hat' to you flight-experienced guys & you don't even think about it, but it was quite a thrill for me when they came over to me in the shed where I's changing LiPo's and told me, "By the way, consider yourself a certified pilot, you've now solo'd" amidst clapping & some back-slapping. Especially when I thought it was just another day's lesson.....didn't even realize what I'd done! *LOL* Then again, if they'd told me that was THE test beforehand, my Bix would prolly have been in smithereens shortly thereafter so.....all in all, best they didn't! At least they didn't cut my shirt tail off....but I heard some stories!

Still got a LOT of stick time to get in however. On the pilot's station I know I still have those moments of anxiety about making the right move when something unexpected happens. On the way home my thinking was (& is), when it gets as 2d nature as driving a car is to me now, THEN I'll consider myself a full-bore pilot! Until then, it's still a good feeling.

Thanks again.

PS: Just saw yours and thank you to, JJ! You guys are a great part of why coming here is a fun thing!
Gene.....now that's just a whole 'nother thing!!
By the by, I got the steaks....but now ain't got no gas money left to come down there. Sure ain't gonna waste 'em on my dogs! OH, what to do, what to do???
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by StarHopper44; Oct 17, 2011 at 10:02 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:17 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
Quote:
Without intending to prolong this BS any longer, the issue here is the same one that infected the EZ* thread for so long and revolved around the same individual. My post there in the same vein as your's here is what begat the 'bad blood' from that person toward a mere lowly reader. I don't have any ego involved in an internet chat site about some non-consequential hobby interest nor do others who post opinions or challenge dubious information. If I differ in opinion or experience from something posted by another here I shall continue to offer data or make my opinion known unless I am convinced otherwise. And, like you stated in a prior post, that is my OPINION.
And yet that is EXACTLY what you are doing. You do the same things on other threads. You ask a question that you know the answer to just to make sure that you can correct the poster. Well, you newbees don't seem to understand that the folks here don't appreciate you playing the "gotcha" game and it does not bother me at all to call you on it. So, hopefully that is the end of this. Since you had the first caustic word, can I have the final one?
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:20 PM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Still got a LOT of stick time to get in however. On the pilot's station I know I still have those moments of anxiety about making the right move when something unexpected happens. On the way home my thinking was (& is), when it gets as 2d nature as driving a car is to me now, THEN I'll consider myself a full-bore pilot! Until then, it's still a good feeling.
Did you ever get a simulator running?
jrjr is online now Find More Posts by jrjr
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:22 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
Newbees...

Quote:
You are so right Ted, when it comes to fact and logic he fails miserably. A prime example is recently when he CLAIMED to have Tx's that pre-loaded the RF output stages, <snip>
That is EXACTLY why I did not bother with you. No one, I mean NO ONe appreciates you playing the "gotcha" game. That is rude and inappropriate. Besides, you are a newcomer and that type of behavior will not win you points anytime.
AJ
BTW-All the xmitters are equipped with 50ohm resistors that come into play if the antenna is not connected. But, you knew that and your whole post was just to make sure that I did. It served no purpose to help anyone except you ego which is now shot because I am quite familiar with the tx's operations.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:35 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
Where have all the flowers gone.

Quote:
I would ask 2 things to be taken into consideration:
First - I know how to make better movies....but I'm very limited in what tools I have to work with. I could even find and use workarounds to make this movie better, but it would take a TREMENDOUS investment in both effort and time to do so (in MY case in general and in THIS video's case in specific) but in the end, all it would be is a quick snippet in the few who view its' lives, that would be at best forgotten by tomorrow. So, the long & short equation is, it's not WORTH the time or effort to be made better.
Whoa there my friend. That was in no way a criticism of your video directly. I actually was seeking your opinion on those steps as being included in Page #1 somewhere per you suggestion. I did not intend for you to take it personally at all. Obviously, you did and for that, I am truly sorry. I meant no harm whatsoever. Probably the biggest thing I have to share in my defense is that we are on each others "friends'" list. That is pretty important to me. I hope it is to you, too. IMO, you are one of the good guys and I have ALWAYS enjoyed your posts. I try to make it a habit when I read something a little bit negative from a listed friend is to PM him and ask him where I am mistaken. Nearly 100% of the time, it is my reading something wrong. That friend list means to that is always wrong to say something bad about someone on my friend list. So, I apologize again. I again assure you that the steps that I laid out were for you approval or input on how to improve them so things like what happened don't happen to newcomers to the thread. I hope you can let this go.
Your Friend (I hope)
AJ
P.S. When you get done being mad, I would appreciate a PM (or whatever) from you about your opinion of those video steps (for anyone who cares). TIA.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 11:12 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrjr View Post
Did you ever get a simulator running?
Nope, sure didn't....and I pure lust for one! I have all the software & a 6-ch sim-box but my ol' puter just ain't up to the task. I eventually got in touch with the guy in Belgium who wrote the program; after I described details of my problem he asked me what video card & platform I'm running & I answered. He came back very apologetic and said unfortunately, the shader & 3D texturer he uses and is stuck with, just isn't recognized and won't run on my ATI graphics system without rewriting the entire program for a single issue....and tho he wished he could help he just can't.

My computer shop (friends whom I consulted) says this computer's graphics card can't be upgraded; it's built into the motherboard & no mods available....and there's nothing short of buying a new computer I can do.

And that, my friend, is just flat NOT in this po' boy's budget.
RCG Plus Member