HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 16, 2011, 11:14 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,071 Posts
[QUOTE=aclinml;19608090]OK, so I wanted to remove the stock Bixler prop adapter, so I could put a normal prop adapter on it. I heated up the adapter with a lighter for about 60 secs, then put a pair of vice grips on the shaft just below the adapter, and then pried like hell with a screwdriver and could not get it to budge, even strained my back trying to do it! That adapter is not going anywhere! So now I notice that the stock adapter is not in a straight line compared to the shaft. After a few minutes I have got it back on pretty straight. I tested the engine and it does have a VERY slight vibration, but I think it will be OK for now.

So, it looks like to get it to be completely true, I will have to swap out the motor with a new one. So, I have two questions....

1. Which is a good replacement motor (under $20)? I DO NOT want unlimited vertical. The stock power in my Bixler was just fine. A LITTLE more power
would be OK, but don't really need a whole lot more.

2. Since the Bixler fuse is glued together, what and how should I cut into it to gain access to the motor and the mount?

Thanks, guys....[/QUOTE

This is the replacement that I use with a 6X4 and 25amp ESC.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/a2208-1...irplanes-13561
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2011, 11:17 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aclinml View Post
OK, so I wanted to remove the stock Bixler prop adapter, so I could put a normal prop adapter on it. I heated up the adapter with a lighter for about 60 secs, then put a pair of vice grips on the shaft just below the adapter, and then pried like hell with a screwdriver and could not get it to budge, even strained my back trying to do it! That adapter is not going anywhere! So now I notice that the stock adapter is not in a straight line compared to the shaft. After a few minutes I have got it back on pretty straight. I tested the engine and it does have a VERY slight vibration, but I think it will be OK for now.

So, it looks like to get it to be completely true, I will have to swap out the motor with a new one. So, I have two questions....

1. Which is a good replacement motor (under $20)? I DO NOT want unlimited vertical. The stock power in my Bixler was just fine. A LITTLE more power would be OK, but don't really need a whole lot more.

2. Since the Bixler fuse is glued together, what and how should I cut into it to gain access to the motor and the mount?

Thanks, guys....

Dear Sir:
Didja happen to catch our motto:
"Bixler See Post #2 & #3 for parts & mods B4 asking " ?
Lotta wisdom in that!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=1231310&pp=25
Otherwise, we can't be responsible for what Gene might tell you. About anything.
(*psssst* You wanta stay on his good side!)
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2011, 11:20 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,071 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Don't be silly, man - you can't count the Bixler as a SkySurfer!
The decals are completely different!

(Tho sometimes their boxes will get ya confused.)
Just to confuse everyone, I have decals from a Rookie, and Turngy on my Skybixrookturn.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 11:23 AM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Don't be silly, man - you can't count the Bixler as a SkySurfer!
The decals are completely different!

(Tho sometimes their boxes will get ya confused.)
AND the SkySurfer is FAR superior!
jrjr is offline Find More Posts by jrjr
Old Oct 16, 2011, 11:25 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrjr View Post
No, no, no... The Bix is the Best!
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Oct 16, 2011, 11:25 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,071 Posts
Quote:
What! Is that just the box?
Old Oct 16, 2011, 11:35 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,673 Posts
Quote:
My Beexlaire farts in your Skesurfeur's generale directione!
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2011, 11:38 AM
Gravity impaired
Joined Nov 2004
1,508 Posts
Quote:
So, I have two questions....

1. Which is a good replacement motor (under $20)? I DO NOT want unlimited vertical. The stock power in my Bixler was just fine. A LITTLE more power would be OK, but don't really need a whole lot more.

Thanks, guys....
There are several options for mounting and are discussed in this thread. Here's one that I don't think made it here before.....

If you want a little more power go with a 2200 like

This
or
This
Old Oct 16, 2011, 11:43 AM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Glad I wasn't holding my coffee when I saw that! Would have had to take a shower.

Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Old Oct 16, 2011, 11:51 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,984 Posts
Quote:
Right on, right on... I can get behind that!
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Oct 16, 2011, 12:06 PM
SARG5
10 Miles north of Russell, Ks. on US281 hy
Joined Oct 2009
650 Posts
When, not IF you purchase a new SF, Purchase a couple sticks of Carbon Bibbon
.032 X .310 X 60" from WWW.CANUCKENGINGEERING.COM cut and place two lengths from where the nose starts to curve in, to under the wing. One on the side and one underside. Then Nex. Go the tail fathers. One on top from in front of the Rudder to
about the trailing edge of the wing. One on the side, from under the Hz. fin running forward to about the trailing edge of the wing.
Now on to the wings. From about the edge of the fuz. run full length of wing to where the tip starts to turn up.
Now for the hz. stab. each side, from the fuz. to about the tip.

Cut a slot just a little deeper then the .310, push it in, and succure with CA glue.
YOUR PROBLEMS WILL BE OVER.
Wings will not flap, tail will not flap, nose will not break off.
SARG5
SARG5 is offline Find More Posts by SARG5
Old Oct 16, 2011, 12:25 PM
Gravity impaired
Joined Nov 2004
1,508 Posts
Quote:
**~~Lighting a scented candle with nose plugged~~**

HEY open a window will ya StarPopper?
That Bix of yours is smellin up the place
Last edited by jrjr; Oct 16, 2011 at 12:40 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 01:09 PM
Joined Oct 2007
66 Posts
Quote:
OK, so I wanted to remove the stock Bixler prop adapter, so I could put a normal prop adapter on it. I heated up the adapter with a lighter for about 60 secs, then put a pair of vice grips on the shaft just below the adapter, and then pried like hell with a screwdriver and could not get it to budge, even strained my back trying to do it! That adapter is not going anywhere! So now I notice that the stock adapter is not in a straight line compared to the shaft. After a few minutes I have got it back on pretty straight. I tested the engine and it does have a VERY slight vibration, but I think it will be OK for now.

Thanks, guys....
Just cut off the shaft aft of the standard adapter with a Dremel type tool and cutoff disk. Purchase the appropriate adapter size for your shaft and your good to go. I've found different size shafts among SkyS and Bixlers, so measure yours to be sure. The standard shaft is much longer then needed and will still accept a collet style adapter after it is cut.
Ole Joe is offline Find More Posts by Ole Joe
Old Oct 16, 2011, 03:23 PM
Joined Aug 2011
47 Posts
I use the A2208/8 (2600kv) that's the rewound version of that DX motor, it rocks to the tune of around 18 amps with a 6X4 and gets the plane moving along nicely.

All my videos of my bixler flights to date have failed, but here's one with my new flight cam.

A2200 test (2 min 17 sec)

Tim
Tim. is offline Find More Posts by Tim.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 04:18 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim. View Post
I use the A2208/8 (2600kv) that's the rewound version of that DX motor, it rocks to the tune of around 18 amps with a 6X4 and gets the plane moving along nicely.

All my videos of my bixler flights to date have failed, but here's one with my new flight cam.
Tim
Nicely done. I loved the second half especially. Perfect landing.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker