HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2011, 04:24 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
A motor in the range of 4000KV on a 3S is what you'd see with 64 mm (2.52 inches) EDFs. So, your choice is a bit unusual for a prop plane but whatever works for you is always the goal.
Yep.

Problem is, of course, that the Sky Surfer is limited in the size prop it can take.

Ideally a 7 or 8 inch prop with maybe a 1500 or 2000KV motor would be best. But obviously the SS can't take that prop. 6" is about the max unless you want to radically redesign the motor mount somehow and lift the thrust axis WAY up.

So, if you want vertical-climb power, and can't use a large, slower-turning prop, a smaller one turning faster (maybe with three or more blades) is the only choice you have left.

And if you DON'T want vertical-climb power, then you can put on a 2200KV or so motor with that small-diameter (5-1/2" or 6") prop... or just throttle back the 3900KV motor for the same result.

The throttled-back 3900K motor might be slightly less efficient that the 2200KV turning full power. The good news is, you have that vertical-climb option when you want it. It's a tradeoff, obviously... as everything is with aircraft performance. I've found that the Turnigy 2835-3900KV motor with a 6x4 3-blade Master Airscrew prop, turns at 21,100 RPM on the bench, probably a little more in the air, delivers fantastic vertical climbs when ordered, and otherwise cruises and medium-climbs nicely at half throttle or so.

As you said, you go with what suits you.
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2011, 07:50 PM
i Like RC
Manitoba, Canada
Joined Oct 2010
168 Posts
Sky Surfer Extreme Re-Design

What do you do when the front end of your Sky Surfer has seen more punches than Mohammed Ali? Rather than repair it I decided to go extreme and see what I could come up with. Here are a few pics to date. I will update pics in my blog as I go along. It will take a while but I plan on posting the Maiden flight video when I'm finished.

Comments & pointers are appreciated since I have no clue what I'm doing.
Weekend Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Weekend Flyer
Old Oct 15, 2011, 09:24 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Flyer View Post
What do you do when the front end of your Sky Surfer has seen more punches than Mohammed Ali? Rather than repair it I decided to go extreme and see what I could come up with. Here are a few pics to date. I will update pics in my blog as I go along. It will take a while but I plan on posting the Maiden flight video when I'm finished.

Comments & pointers are appreciated since I have no clue what I'm doing.
I sweartagawd I'm not laughing at you, but I did have to laugh! That is one messed up SS!
I'd say just off the cuff that cutting off the undamaged(?) tail might've been a mistake....but I have no idea what you're ultimately shootin' for, so....

I would like to ask what you used to make such straight & clean cuts, though. You did a good job on that! I've kinda entertained thoughts of hacking the nose for installing a front-end camera, with some hinging for access a la:
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2011, 09:34 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,616 Posts
We're #1!!

Top 10 Beginner's RC Planes....and guess who won top rating!
Oddly enuff....the Ver3. No Bix...& ain't that a kickinnacrotch?
Payin' a modicum of attention to the presentation though, will show the poster is more of a beginner than these planes are. *LMAO*
(Either that or, he's vewy vewy )

Top 10 Best Beginners Rc Airplanes (2 min 37 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2011, 10:15 PM
i Like RC
Manitoba, Canada
Joined Oct 2010
168 Posts
[QUOTE=StarHopper44;19604712] I'd say just off the cuff that cutting off the undamaged(?) tail might've been a mistake....but I have no idea what you're ultimately shootin' for, so....
I would like to ask what you used to make such straight & clean cuts, though. You did a good job on that!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not sure what I'm shootin' for. Whenever I have time I just look at the plane and decide what I'm doing. I cut the tail because the nose is going to be smaller, the wings are smaller so I am going to shorten the back end to balance it off. Not sure if I should make it a pusher prop or put it at the front. Somehow I got to figure out how to access the battery area without hacking it too much and weakening the body. I used a nice sharp knife to cut which is pictured in the photos.

The first photo below was one of my options with everything turned upside down but I decided to make it a mid wing instead.
The food photo shows that I really don't know what I'm shootin' for. I was supposed to make the dish on the left but ended up with the one on the right. Same ingredients, just different. Tasted good though.
Weekend Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Weekend Flyer
Old Oct 15, 2011, 10:39 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Flyer View Post
I'm not sure what I'm shootin' for.
Ummm... flying lessons?
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Oct 15, 2011, 11:40 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Yep.

Problem is, of course, that the Sky Surfer is limited in the size prop it can take.

Ideally a 7 or 8 inch prop with maybe a 1500 or 2000KV motor would be best. But obviously the SS can't take that prop. 6" is about the max unless you want to radically redesign the motor mount somehow and lift the thrust axis WAY up. ...
Somewhere in the maze of YouTube I've seen a mod some guy made in which he made a slight indentation into the top of the fuse right under the prop tip - I think he did it with heat - which allowed clearance for a larger prop. And heating retains the foam's structural strength better'n removing it. Seems he was able to get a 7" on there. Might be something worth looking into if ya wanta try a larger prop. I've been looking for the vidi over the last hour or so but keep gettin' distracted by bikini babes shakin' booties & stuff at me....which is way more fun to watch than foam planes on gyros so....see y'all later I'm goin' back over there.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2011, 11:41 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Ummm... flying lessons?
zomg....laffed 'til I hurt.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2011, 11:47 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
zomg....laffed 'til I hurt.
Honestly?... I thought it was one of my better ones...
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Oct 16, 2011, 05:43 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,053 Posts
Quote:
Payin' a modicum of attention to the presentation though, will show the poster is more of a beginner than these planes are. *LMAO*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X8pk...eature=related
Well if you do count the Bixler as a Skysurfer then I have both of the first two. Although my Wing dragons are the early ones.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
Old Oct 16, 2011, 06:04 AM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,971 Posts
Quote:
Plane #6 is the strangest looking J3 Cub I ever seen.
What a sad presentation.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Oct 16, 2011, 07:03 AM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
Plane #6 is the strangest looking J3 Cub I ever seen.
What a sad presentation.
It's one of them thare gliding cubs
jrjr is offline Find More Posts by jrjr
Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:32 AM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,309 Posts
finally got some actual flying time with the bixler today. set my timer to 9.5 minutes lol it can go ALOT longer....only ended up putting 651mah back into the 2200 pack...bumped it to 11.5 minutes on the last flight but havent checked the pack yet. everything is all set now figured out the flying characteristics now i just need to mount my fpv stuff
shadow102 is online now Find More Posts by shadow102
Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:54 AM
Joined Jun 2008
261 Posts
Motor mount removal issues......

OK, so I wanted to remove the stock Bixler prop adapter, so I could put a normal prop adapter on it. I heated up the adapter with a lighter for about 60 secs, then put a pair of vice grips on the shaft just below the adapter, and then pried like hell with a screwdriver and could not get it to budge, even strained my back trying to do it! That adapter is not going anywhere! So now I notice that the stock adapter is not in a straight line compared to the shaft. After a few minutes I have got it back on pretty straight. I tested the engine and it does have a VERY slight vibration, but I think it will be OK for now.

So, it looks like to get it to be completely true, I will have to swap out the motor with a new one. So, I have two questions....

1. Which is a good replacement motor (under $20)? I DO NOT want unlimited vertical. The stock power in my Bixler was just fine. A LITTLE more power would be OK, but don't really need a whole lot more.

2. Since the Bixler fuse is glued together, what and how should I cut into it to gain access to the motor and the mount?

Thanks, guys....
aclinml is offline Find More Posts by aclinml
Old Oct 16, 2011, 11:12 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
Well if you do count the Bixler as a Skysurfer then I have both of the first two. Although my Wing dragons are the early ones.
Don't be silly, man - you can't count the Bixler as a SkySurfer!
The decals are completely different!

(Tho sometimes their boxes will get ya confused.)
RCG Plus Member