HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2011, 08:47 AM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
I've not been able to wrap my head around what real good a servo tester is. Connect it, and it works or it don't.....and ain't that about it?
It makes you a immediate babe magnet.

Along with what aeronca said it's good for centering servos during a build before all the electronics are hooked up.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2011, 09:03 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
It makes you a immediate babe magnet.

Along with what aeronca said it's good for centering servos during a build before all the electronics are hooked up.

Gene,

I didn't know I became a babe magnet. I told my wife and she said no.

The servo centering feature is very helpful when building a plane. Cycling a servo to "break it in" is something I wouldn't think you'd do with a servo unless, of course, the servos passed QC only in name, not in reality.

Bill
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2011, 09:13 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronca View Post
Someone mentioned a "servo cycler" they bought on eBay. I am not sure it was someone from this thread, but if it was, could you post a link?

Much appreciated!

Aeronca
HERE is another one. It works great for me. The one that jj604 mentioned is probably a good one, too. Heck, for the price - Get both.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Oct 15, 2011, 09:23 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Servo choice

Quote:
Someone mentioned a "servo cycler" they bought on eBay. I am not sure it was someone from this thread, but if it was, could you post a link?

Much appreciated!

Aeronca
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
There are lots of them. This one from Hobby King is good value ,works well, and has good functionality for 8 bucks. And it's in stock (unbelievable but true).

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11780
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
I've not been able to wrap my head around what real good a servo tester is. Connect it, and it works or it don't.....and ain't that about it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Gene,

I didn't know I became a babe magnet. I told my wife and she said no.

The servo centering feature is very helpful when building a plane. Cycling a servo to "break it in" is something I wouldn't think you'd do with a servo unless, of course, the servos passed QC only in name, not in reality.

Bill
Another thing you guys might want to consider is a metal gear servo. As the years go by, they get less and less expensive. Currently, HERE is what I am using. Over on the Fun Cub thread, the HXT900 is considered crap and not worthy of putting in a plane at all. Slowly, I am getting all my planes (31-see blog) converted over to them. So far, they are working great for me. I have about 25 of them installed in some planes and I have not had a failure yet. I cannot testify to the quality of them compared to other MG servos because this is the only one I have used. So, on your next HK order, you might want to round out the weight of your basket with a couple of them and try them for yourself. BTW-I still consider the HXT900 a good (not great) workhorse for park flyers. Just my .02 worth.
AJ
Last edited by ajbaker; Oct 15, 2011 at 10:42 AM. Reason: typo
Old Oct 15, 2011, 09:26 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozair View Post
Thanks to Gene and AJ for gyro info.
After what FP said I am still trying to decide whether to use them or not
There is a win-win situation waiting for you. You can buy long hair wigs from GENE and go undercover. No one will know and we won't tell.
AJ
Old Oct 15, 2011, 10:54 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,408 Posts
Quote:
From what I've been able to gather, cycling what appears to be a marginal servo for 5-15 minutes or so can "break it in" and work out a really good gear mesh, and that results in a smooth operating ditty from what originally appeared to be a marginal piece of equipment. Running an automatic cycler for this amount of time sure beats sittin' there moving the sticks.

Aeronca

First 'cycler' was said, & first response cited 'tester'....so count me ignunt but at that point I assumed they are one & the same....whereas beforehand I'd thought a tester did the kind've things Prof & Gino suggested, and/or maybe could "test" a suspect servo somehow & warn you of imminent failure from like, electro or mechs or whutever. If not for the latter, I still can't see the advantage of buying something a simple Go/No Go test will tell ya. Enlighten me.

AFA cardboard vs plastic vs metal.....I got eyes.
For stage II advanced diagnosis where doubt remains, magnets & matches.
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2011, 10:57 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
There is a win-win situation waiting for you. You can buy long hair wigs from GENE and go undercover. No one will know and we won't tell.
AJ
Wig or not, Gene never looked that good, even in his Mom's favorite picture.
(But the really telling factor was, her favorite picture didn't even have Gene in it!)
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2011, 11:09 AM
northenden, manchester, england
Joined May 2009
1,445 Posts
i have just finished my bixler fpv build, all gear installed before glueing together, i have still to do the cog, and some tweeking, but its 90% ready, i dont plan on using the rudder, so have fixed it and also had to replace it due to me flexing too hard when the plane first arrived, also using a board cam and scratch built pod with camera case, big thanks to Orcoz for letting me have his idea http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post18799833, i have just one question, what cog are people using i have read 60mm and even 70 + mm so wondering what you guys are using, hope you approve of my build
carl
doggit is offline Find More Posts by doggit
Old Oct 15, 2011, 11:47 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,408 Posts
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2011, 12:08 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
The 3900 would be a rocket
No, it wouldn't.

I've been flying with a 2835-3900KV motor for months now. Nice smooth launch, gentle climb out, and pretty slow flying, both for me (way out of practice) and for m 13-year-old son (beginner). That motor and a 40A ESC in a Skysurfer is one of the easiest-to-fly, mellow combinations I've had.

And why?

I have a fancy radio, apparently much fancier than the radios used by those who think a 3900KV is a "rocket". My radio has TWO (count them, two) sticks! And the one on the left does something revolutionary: it controls the motor speed.

I keep that extra stick at about its halfway point, even during launch. You'd be amazed how much that mellows out the plane. It climbs well but gently, cruises nicely, and the plane's batteries last a really long time!

And then, if you ever want to have a little fun, you can point the plane straight up and move that second stick (the one on the left for most such radios) to the top position. But most of the time, leave it near the middle of its travel. With this second stick, you can have the best of both worlds!

You all might want to get one of these new-type radios... especially those of you to whom a 3900KV motor is automatically a "rocket". It looks to me like you haven't had a way of regulating the motor speed until now. But help is finally available!

Get a radio with that second stick. It makes all the difference. Trust me.

Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
Old Oct 15, 2011, 12:20 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
No, it wouldn't.

I've been flying with a 2835-3900KV motor for months now. Nice smooth launch, gentle climb out, and pretty slow flying, both for me (way out of practice) and for m 13-year-old son (beginner). That motor and a 40A ESC in a Skysurfer is one of the easiest-to-fly, mellow combinations I've had.

And why?

I have a fancy radio, apparently much fancier than the radios used by those who think a 3900KV is a "rocket". My radio has TWO (count them, two) sticks! And the one on the left does something revolutionary: it controls the motor speed.

I keep that extra stick at about its halfway point, even during launch. You'd be amazed how much that mellows out the plane. It climbs well but gently, cruises nicely, and the plane's batteries last a really long time!

And then, if you ever want to have a little fun, you can point the plane straight up and move that second stick (the one on the left for most such radios) to the top position. But most of the time, leave it near the middle of its travel. With this second stick, you can have the best of both worlds!

You all might want to get one of these new-type radios... especially those of you to whom a 3900KV motor is automatically a "rocket". It looks to me like you haven't had a way of regulating the motor speed until now. But help is finally available!

A motor in the range of 4000KV on a 3S is what you'd see with 64 mm (2.52 inches) EDFs. So, your choice is a bit unusual for a prop plane but whatever works for you is always the goal.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2011, 12:43 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
No, it wouldn't.

And why?

Someday I'll add that 2nd stick for throttle. Then I can use a 5000kv motor at 1/10 throttle.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Oct 15, 2011, 12:45 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,408 Posts
Quote:
"...and the plane's batteries last a really long time!...
Please define (quantification preferred) "really long time".
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2011, 12:47 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,408 Posts
Quote:
Someday I'll add that 2nd stick for throttle. Then I can use a 5000kv motor at 1/10 throttle.
I'm shootin' for 50000Kv, & just leave the Tx at home!
('Course, might hafta git some kinda clearance from NASA afore launchin'.)
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2011, 04:14 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggit View Post
i have just finished my bixler fpv build, all gear installed before glueing together, i have still to do the cog, and some tweeking, but its 90% ready, i dont plan on using the rudder, so have fixed it and also had to replace it due to me flexing too hard when the plane first arrived, also using a board cam and scratch built pod with camera case, big thanks to Orcoz for letting me have his idea http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post18799833, i have just one question, what cog are people using i have read 60mm and even 70 + mm so wondering what you guys are using, hope you approve of my build
carl
The correct CG is 60mm. Your build looks great to me. Of course, the proof is in the flying of it. Make sure to take some videos to share with all of us.
AJ