HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 14, 2011, 05:01 PM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Sep 2011
151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Here is a USA vendor that has it. You might want to call them to see if they have one in stock. Shipping is a very reasonable $4.
http://www.valuehobby.com/product_de...=0&item_id=587
AJ
Thank you. Ordered
dubels is offline Find More Posts by dubels
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2011, 05:28 PM
United States, WI, Eau Claire
Joined May 2011
1,041 Posts
Thanks for the link guys. I've bought from valueHobby before with great success, so don't mind ordering from them again at all.
banzi28 is offline Find More Posts by banzi28
Old Oct 14, 2011, 05:29 PM
Joined May 2011
1,041 Posts
3900KV? Is that the right one?
Old Oct 14, 2011, 05:44 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by banzi28 View Post
Now if only it wasn't from HK and I'd order it now. I've just had horrible horrible luck with them.

Let me know how you get on with it and I might brave HK one more time, but by the time they deliver it to me it will be the depths of winter here.
Some key points to shopping with HK:
While ordering, if they are out of something THEY WILL TELL YOU. It'll warn you with an 'Item is backordered' popup when you click it, plus go into your shopping cart (if you click 'OK') flagged as 'Backordered'.

When you're done with all items, go thru your Shopping Cart and remove any backordered item(s)....place them on your Wish List & check to be notified when new stock arrives - they've been 100% on that one for me. Then either find the item elsewhere; or order the item individually upon arrival notification, or move to a 2nd wishlist (you're allowed 5) and wait for other notifications so you can combine....80-85% of the time it doesn't take over a couple weeks. Reason for all this (remove backorders) is that if only 1 item is backordered, it holds up your whole order!

Another tip. Keep orders very lightweight when possible, to allow shipping by their 'China Express Mail' system. Much quicker than the cheap 'slow boat' method. Sometimes it pays to ship part by slow, part by Express....it takes a little time but analyze what's best for you (especially when you want something quickly)....and put them on separate orders; ship one by boat, hurryup items by express -- and should cost only a few bucks more in the end. (On Express, weight & size is critical, but use that ONLY for items you're in a hurry for).

Finally, be patient....and I'll add that their Customer Service Live Chat has been a lifesaver for me at least 3 times, re revising my order & helping me rearrange things so certain items could be sped up. In a bind? USE it!! And be patient with that window, too. Takes 'em a while to translate & find an answer (that ain't really 'Lisa' yer talkin' to ) but, they're pretty good at it, want to help, and I've seen way WAY worse from domestic sites!

And order snow skis at least 4 months in advance.
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2011, 05:50 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,674 Posts
Quote:
3900KV? Is that the right one?
3900Kv ain't nothin' but Estes Heavy Booster spelled wrong!
(And a LiPo charge will last just about as long!)
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2011, 06:05 PM
Joined May 2011
1,041 Posts
Yeah No good for FPV then. Would be super fast and fun though.

Thanks guys. I'll keep looking.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 06:10 PM
Joined May 2011
1,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
While ordering, if they are out of something THEY WILL TELL YOU. It'll warn you with an 'Item is backordered' popup when you click it, plus go into your shopping cart (if you click 'OK') flagged as 'Backordered'.

When you're done with all items, go thru your Shopping Cart and remove any backordered item(s)....place them on your Wish List & check to be notified when new stock arrives - they've been 100% on that one for me. Then either find the item elsewhere; or order the item individually upon arrival notification, or move to a 2nd wishlist (you're allowed 5) and wait for other notifications so you can combine....80-85% of the time it doesn't take over a couple weeks. Reason for all this (remove backorders) is that if only 1 item is backordered, it holds up your whole order!

Another tip. Keep orders very lightweight when possible, to allow shipping by their 'China Express Mail' system. Much quicker than the cheap 'slow boat' method. Sometimes it pays to ship part by slow, part by Express....it takes a little time but analyze what's best for you (especially when you want something quickly)....and put them on separate orders; ship one by boat, hurryup items by express -- and should cost only a few bucks more in the end. (On Express, weight & size is critical, but use that ONLY for items you're in a hurry for).

Finally, be patient....and I'll add that their Customer Service Live Chat has been a lifesaver for me at least 3 times, re revising my order & helping me rearrange things so certain items could be sped up. In a bind? USE it!! And be patient with that window, too. Takes 'em a while to translate & find an answer (that ain't really 'Lisa' yer talkin' to ) but, they're pretty good at it, want to help, and I've seen way WAY worse from domestic sites!

And order snow skis at least 4 months in advance.
Skis are already here

As for HK, I ordered a motor for my Skywalker from them about seven weeks ago. It was $17 and showed in stock when I ordered. It arrived last week (almost six weeks travel time for shipping) with no hardware at all and DOA. Sent email. Nothing. Chat wants me to send it back of course, but it will cost more than the motor first cost to ship it back and by the time it gets there, and then back it will be months down the line.

I desoldered the connectors, cut off the wire, removed the shaft and pried off as many magnets as I could and trashed the rest and won't order from them ever again. I now will only order from domestic companies, even if it costs more.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 06:14 PM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
While ordering, if they are out of something THEY WILL TELL YOU.
Doesn't always work. Not long ago I ordered a Reaktor with all the parts to go with it. A week went by and I got an email stating that the esc was out of stock and backordered due to a factory error. After ironing that one out and substituting another acceptable esc, another 4 or 5 days went by and I got an email stating that the batteries were out of stock and backordered due to a factory error. I cancelled that item, and after a few more days, something else..... That was it. I cancelled the entire order. I have a credit there and don't really want to deal with them again but I will just to use up the credit. From then on it will be anyone but HK for my business.
jrjr is online now Find More Posts by jrjr
Old Oct 14, 2011, 07:17 PM View Post
G550Ted
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Personal Attack. It is temporarily hidden while G550Ted edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 07:40 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Throttle it back. Then it will fly for a long time.

Works for me.
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
Old Oct 14, 2011, 07:45 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:

There are several motors that would be very suitable for FPV. The most bang for the buck is THIS one.
If cash flow allows, THIS is the one I recommend.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Oct 14, 2011, 07:47 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G550Ted View Post
I see you are still struggling with your reading comprehension. Unfortunate. Perhaps it's the meds. No ego or back pedaling here. You have it confused with your posts.

See, nice short sentences. Read slowly and move your lips if it helps.

G'night.
Often I bite my tongue on replying to some post to keep the peace. Right, wrong, personality conflicts ect. Life's too short. I may have done what aj did by trying to see if it fly but I would have edited it out of the vid.
We at times forget new pilots are watching and learning off our adventures and need to maintain a good example and those new pilots are new posters who are learning how to get along on these threads also.
I'm not one to back off in person but online it's just not worth the bother. You both stated your opinions and that should be it.
You are both decent users who have good information to share. This type dialog never ends well.
Now, can we all get back to picking on StarLips?
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Oct 14, 2011, 08:26 PM
Why so serious?
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozair View Post
AJ, please answer this quickly (and lets hope that FP does not see it). Do you use any rate gyros on any of your SkyS's, can you recommend any for tail and ailerons.
Start out slow. I use a Esky ek-704 for elevator only. Works very well.
Don't fly in gusty wind. The plane with the extra fpv gear weight likes to stay flat and smooth (I use a EZ*) for roll, only pitching up and down was a issue.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 08:59 PM
Why so serious?
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:

The 3900 would be a rocket but flying fpv isn't about that. You want thrust and reliability. Spinning a high kv motor to get thrust and power will create more vibration and rf interference which is what you want to stay away from flying FPV. I don't think sending $200. worth of fpv gear up and away trusting a $15 motor and $12 esc is a good gamble. Others will disagree and that is fine.
I like the E-Flite Six series inrunners. 2200kv or 2700kv.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EFLM2005
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EFLM2000

and a E-flite ESC. (lower RF noise then most).
Also a Dimension Engineering UBEC. (very low rf noise)
Hitec hs 55 servos for low rf noise. (HTX 900s are very noisy rf wise and draw twice what the hs does)

As you may know rf interference will degrade you VTX down link.
If your getting into FPV the you may as well get the stuff that causes the least problems now because you will want it later. All the cheap-o stuff works fine on a non FPV plane but you're not in Kansas anymore..
It all depends on what you want from FPV.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 09:16 PM
Why so serious?
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozair View Post
FP just refer him/them to Gene, he will help them.
The reason no one wants to fly with Flypops is he's old and smells like sardines.

The last plane I got down from a tree I use my son's paint ball gun. Worked. Then I shot some guy in a golf cart that was bothering me. It's may have been Ted. Not sure.