HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 14, 2011, 09:51 AM
United States, WI, Eau Claire
Joined May 2011
1,041 Posts
I know this had been probably asked a thousand times, but what is the motor of choice for this for FPV? I was leaning towards Microdan's custom motor, but I think that it's too powerful. AUW of my FPV Skysurfer is around 900g.
banzi28 is offline Find More Posts by banzi28
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2011, 10:47 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G550Ted View Post
+1. I won't have anything to do with IE.

Ted
Firefox and IE aren't the only choices. I use Chrome.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:14 AM
USA, NY, Endicott
Joined Oct 2010
227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
If you have a Windows computer the you should have Windows Movie Maker. It comes with the Windows group. Easiest way to do basic editing to a video file, depending on what file format the camera uses. HD won't fly on older versions and some formats require downloading and installing more codecs. FFDSHOW is good for that.
Gene, thanks. I will give Windows a try. I bought a couple of the keychain cameras and will use them to get some video of some fall flights.
Ron
Papo_60 is offline Find More Posts by Papo_60
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:22 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G550Ted View Post
A pair of his black panties he uses to keep the battery from shifting?

Seriously, I can't fathom why anyone would take off again following a crash, however minor or not, without a thorough inspection. That was asking for trouble.

Ted
First, My bet is that hundreds (maybe thousands) before me have done that. Second, there is no one around to hit with a plane that cares. Lastly, money is no issue to me. That is why I have 31 planes currently RTF. Keeping that fleet of planes flying prevents me from adding to my collection (not money). But, thank you for your quite negative feedback. That is why I am still in the hobby. I hope one day to be as perfect as you are.

Hey - StarHopper - the material is fireproof foam that I NASA sent me for review several years ago. I still have about 10 lbs of it left (~ 150 sq. yards of it - I use it for many applications).
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:23 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papo_60 View Post
... fall flights.
Ron
??? Either there's an oxymoron in there, or a -1 NOT recommended!!!
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:27 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Hey -... I still have about 10 lbs of it left (~ 150 sq. yards of it - I use it for many applications).
AJ
Like, hidin' ur panties in???
(Gene made me do it)
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:29 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
+ <<some big number>>
+1. I wonder if he could say he NEVER flew a plane after a crash until a THOROUGH inspection. yeah, right. Anyone here believe him. yuk, yuk, yuk.
AJ
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:40 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Another li'l tidbit....and I'll just put out as a teaser for now -- how many of you have encountered or know of an entity called 'Alibaba'?? You might've seen the news but, we just might be seeing some increased costs in RC (& other) gear bought from China in the near future. Anybody??

Yes. They represent other vendors and verify that they are legitimate. The whole Alibaba site is one large scam. How do I know? Well, after I lost $504 in an order to one of their "Star" vendors, I woke up and did my own research. Any money you send them for anything will turn into vapor dollars. You will never get the merchandise and you will never here from the vendor that you sent money to. When you complain to alibaba, they want you to send endless volumes of information to them "to investigate". Then, while you are chasing you tail, the original vendor that you ordered from is gone and their business surfaces under another name. The biggest clue is that whatever vendor that you choose to get screwed by is that they will only accept Western Union. If you do that, your money is gone. YOU have been warned.....
BTW- I fell for their deal because what they offered was NOT too good to be true. The units that I ordered will simply 6% cheaper than I could have found anywhere else.
AJ
Last edited by ajbaker; Oct 14, 2011 at 11:47 AM.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:49 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
+1. I wonder if he could say he NEVER flew a plane after a crash until a THOROUGH inspection. yeah, right. Anyone here believe him. yuk, yuk, yuk.
AJ
Then am I the one alone? Even if I flip on landing, I check that the wings are still tight in the fuselage. And that the tail area is secure, also that the motor and prop is secure.
I would ask. How many do a DI before their first flight of the day?
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:54 AM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Firefox and IE aren't the only choices. I use Chrome.
I have Chrome installed but I don't like the non-customizable tool bar. I use the tool bar all the time and to not be able to do what I want is a deal breaker with me. Google has some good ideas (debatable) but they are behind the times from my pov and very unwilling to listen to their user base.

BTW there is also Opera, Safari and K-Meleon and probably more if I thought about it.
jrjr is offline Find More Posts by jrjr
Old Oct 14, 2011, 12:04 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
Then am I the one alone? Even if I flip on landing, I check that the wings are still tight in the fuselage. And that the tail area is secure, also that the motor and prop is secure.
I do the same. I would bet that most other folks do that too. The problem I have is with the word "THOROUGH" and all the stuff that the word implies. I don't know what a DI is. But, every day before every flight (even after a crash), I do at least a minimum preflight of the control movement and CG. Do I do those things 100% of the time. No. If you look at the video, I took off right after a "hard" landing and that is when a piece of foam came off. Again, I am grateful that I didn't walk out through all those stickers to gather it up. And, if it did fly and crash to bits, I would not have cared. Half of this hobby is building (or rebuilding) and since money is not an issue, I will continue to do the same thing. It is worthy of note, too, I do not do the group thing with RC. I very much enjoy the hobby and interaction with most of the folks here. I don't need the crowds around asking all those time consuming questions.
AJ
Old Oct 14, 2011, 12:18 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
No, you're are not alone. There is some discipline that has been lost with ARF's and foamies and the ability to hand-launch. The stakes are not as high. Back in the day, you needed a club's field and the club had rules about this stuff. Now I hear about people not doing range checks and getting in trouble. I hear about not doing control surface checks and getting into the air with reversed controls or simply broken linkages. On and on... good or bad, this is just another example of the trend away from disciplined aviation.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Last edited by erkq; Oct 14, 2011 at 12:39 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 12:50 PM View Post
G550Ted
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Personal Attack. It is temporarily hidden while G550Ted edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 12:59 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrjr View Post
Nope don't see many ads...... been using Firefox for many many years with AdBlock plus. That kills most of them.
Had a problem just yesterday with AdBlock Plus in Firefox. I could not view any videos on YouTube. AdBlock was causing the problem. Dissabling it solved the problem. No idea why that just began yesterday. I have had it installed for quite a while.

Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Old Oct 14, 2011, 01:32 PM
Canberra, Australia
Joined Oct 2010
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by banzi28 View Post
I know this had been probably asked a thousand times, but what is the motor of choice for this for FPV? I was leaning towards Microdan's custom motor, but I think that it's too powerful. AUW of my FPV Skysurfer is around 900g.
Hey mate.

Your post nearly got lost in some IT forum. Thought I would rescue it, since I'm interested too.

I'm going to try the Turnigy 2836-2350kv http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=7993

It's a bit heavy but I'm thinking the extra power will be good.

Happy Days.
joel0407 is offline Find More Posts by joel0407