HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2011, 02:26 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyfatboy View Post
HS-55 works but the HXT-900 is cheaper and works just as well.
HS-55 leads are a bit shorter so if you have to add extensions you lose the price benefit.
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2011, 02:38 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papo_60 View Post
Aeronca, thank you for this info. It is exactly what I was trying to do with some of the pictures for my build... Thanks also to others that responded to my requests. What seems simple to some is not necessarily simple to all, me especially.. Great forum & great people willing to share their wealth of knowledge. Makes it possible for newbee's like me to enjoy this great hobby.
Ron
You had an early-on answer that seemed to please you so didn't add this onto the pile but....FWIW:
You can pull up any image in M-S Paint, which is on prolly every Windoze computer ever built, and either add text with a solid or transparent background directly atop the image, or expand the 'canvas' and add it underneath (or above, or either side) as a caption, using any font & formatting on your system.

If the image is on your hard drive, open it in whatever viewer; right click & take 'Edit' and Paint should open with the image loaded.
Sometimes 'dormant', look on the titlebar menu for 'View' and check 'Text Toolbar'. When you are ready to add text, just click the 'A' from the command menu & have at it!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2011, 03:00 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
This is my SkyS #1. It is crashed several times in this movie. The problem is that the plane is excessively tail heavy and I have not checked the CG for way over a year because I usually use a gyro - So, I don't care where the CG is. Well, for whatever reason, during the last repairs, I removed the gyro and did not replace it and I did not check the CG. Well, you can guess what happened. Be sure to listen to my silly comments on how I can't figure out what is wrong with it. If you have the patience, I uploaded the full movie with all the faux-pas thoughts-lots of laughs on me.
AJ
The movie is edited to conform to standards.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3ZxXoOhEnY
Hey, I think I've seen that movie before....wasn't it named 'The Two Stooges' or somethin' like that? *nyuk nyuk nyuk*

But seriously....so what was the black stuff???

RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2011, 03:29 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,692 Posts
OK guys -- got answers....cleaning house here.
All others - please no more replies here!!!!!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by StarHopper44; Oct 13, 2011 at 09:52 AM.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 06:25 AM
New Zealand
Joined Apr 2011
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Gene, or anybody else....
This is about as far OT as it gets, so apologies in advance, but you guys seem to know a lot about movie makin' & such, so let me ask here.

I's doing something that opened Windows Media Player (WMP) for viewing, and before it started I got a notice I needed some new codec....followed immediately by a popup from M-S saying they had an improvement for WMP9, "just click here"...you know the bit. First let me say I'd avoided WMP10 & anything after because of serious issues I'd read about others having with it (and for one, that's the version where they started 'tattling' on you about videos & music you play) and, I was perfectly happy with WMP9 & its performance, so I had steadfastly refused every of the many offers M-S had issued to 'upgrade'.

Anyway, on that one occasion I needed the new codec, I thought the 'improvements' popup -- and remember it specifically said "for WMP9" was for the codec I needed so I clicked it. The 'puter went bonkers for awhile, doing its usual spaz act while it downloaded, rebooted itself, yada yada....and when the smoke cleared I found out the SOB's (and that stands for sunzabiches if it needs explanation) had installed WMP11 without telling, explaining, or even asking a GD thing by way of 'permission'.

End result, my movie sounds play at normal speed, but the video portions play at half speed, meaning audio & video are WAY out of sync, making any editing almost impossible. Not only that, but it won't play MovieMaker or any other editing software I've found, without crashing. I finally ripped out WMP11 in absolute disgust, found & re-installed WMP9, but it's still crippled with that half-speed video crap. I've looked everywhere, tried every recommendation about this 'out of sync' mess - changing video acceleration (it always ran flawlessly at Full Acceleration BEFORE M-S's crappy little caper), with 'Write Combining' either on or off....all drivers & troubleshooting are up to date & report everything's working perfectly (HA!!!) ....

Before this turns into a book on "10 Thousand Reasons I Despise MicroSuck" - I'll just jump to the question: Has anyone else here been cursed by this crap, and found a solution, or even just know of one? I would MOST DEEPLY appreciate a PM with some advice. Right now money's the only thing keeping me from just slamming this computer onto the highway out front & walking away....I'm THAT disgusted with it.

Sorry (again) for the OT....I'm desperate.

~~~
Addendum: Viewing videos online (eg Vimeo, YouTube etc) everything works fine. It's just videos on MY computer, or from any videocam (my Vado HD; my 'keychain' cam) are the ones that are sync-screwed. Thought I oughta add that if it'll help narrow the cause down).

(((PS: AJ....don't worry; after some 'viewing time' I'll delete this post or replace with something else. Thanx for your indulgence! )))
Download vlc media player. Should fix your problems
HydroThief is offline Find More Posts by HydroThief
Old Oct 13, 2011, 07:10 AM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,589 Posts
Quote:
First let me say I'd avoided WMP10 & anything after because of serious issues I'd read about others having with it
Check out VLC. I find it better than WMP in most cases. It will play nearly any format with no hassles or tattling.....
jrjr is online now Find More Posts by jrjr
Old Oct 13, 2011, 07:41 AM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Gene, or anybody else....
This is about as far OT as it gets, so apologies in advance, but you guys seem to know a lot about movie makin' & such, so let me ask here.

I's doing something that opened Windows Media Player (WMP) for viewing, and before it started I got a notice I needed some new codec....followed immediately by a popup from M-S saying they had an improvement for WMP9, "just click here"...you know the bit. First let me say I'd avoided WMP10 & anything after because of serious issues I'd read about others having with it (and for one, that's the version where they started 'tattling' on you about videos & music you play) and, I was perfectly happy with WMP9 & its performance, so I had steadfastly refused every of the many offers M-S had issued to 'upgrade'.

Anyway, on that one occasion I needed the new codec, I thought the 'improvements' popup -- and remember it specifically said "for WMP9" was for the codec I needed so I clicked it. The 'puter went bonkers for awhile, doing its usual spaz act while it downloaded, rebooted itself, yada yada....and when the smoke cleared I found out the SOB's (and that stands for sunzabiches if it needs explanation) had installed WMP11 without telling, explaining, or even asking a GD thing by way of 'permission'.

End result, my movie sounds play at normal speed, but the video portions play at half speed, meaning audio & video are WAY out of sync, making any editing almost impossible. Not only that, but it won't play MovieMaker or any other editing software I've found, without crashing. I finally ripped out WMP11 in absolute disgust, found & re-installed WMP9, but it's still crippled with that half-speed video crap. I've looked everywhere, tried every recommendation about this 'out of sync' mess - changing video acceleration (it always ran flawlessly at Full Acceleration BEFORE M-S's crappy little caper), with 'Write Combining' either on or off....all drivers & troubleshooting are up to date & report everything's working perfectly (HA!!!) ....

Before this turns into a book on "10 Thousand Reasons I Despise MicroSuck" - I'll just jump to the question: Has anyone else here been cursed by this crap, and found a solution, or even just know of one? I would MOST DEEPLY appreciate a PM with some advice. Right now money's the only thing keeping me from just slamming this computer onto the highway out front & walking away....I'm THAT disgusted with it.

Sorry (again) for the OT....I'm desperate.

~~~
Addendum: Viewing videos online (eg Vimeo, YouTube etc) everything works fine. It's just videos on MY computer, or from any videocam (my Vado HD; my 'keychain' cam) are the ones that are sync-screwed. Thought I oughta add that if it'll help narrow the cause down).

(((PS: AJ....don't worry; after some 'viewing time' I'll delete this post or replace with something else. Thanx for your indulgence! )))
First of all I use RealPlayer.
I think your old WMP use older basic codecs that your pc could handle. When upgraded it also loaded a newer codec library that is taxing your hardware. On the un-install you change the software but not the codecs. Codecs are loaded with the system, not WMP.
If you were to load FFDSHOW, it will give you most codecs you need with the option of turning off those you don't. It would be trial and error until you got just what is needed and nothing more. Running a older, slower and smaller ram pc with video is always tough but possible with most formats though full screen viewing may not be possible.
When you view YouTube vids or Vimeo vids here or on their site you are not using WMP so they are not effected. If you first download then view a vid file, then that uses your default player which appears to be WMP.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Oct 13, 2011, 07:55 AM
Flanders, NJ USA
Joined Jan 2001
237 Posts
Has anyone used carbon rod for pushrods in the standard skysurfer ver 2.0 tubes? Seems like this place has sizes that would work

http://www.cstsales.com/carbon_rods.html

If so what did you do for connections? Thanks!
NickBee is offline Find More Posts by NickBee
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:08 AM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,360 Posts
just maidened my bixler, only got a few minutes as rain rolled in (weather channel lied) Plane flies really well but is going to take a little getting used to as the controls feel very lazy compared to what i am used to.

i think my only complaint is a couple times at lower power/power off the plane will go into a steep climb and stall for no apparent reason, i caught it a couple times and leveled it out but almost lost it once as well. i also noticed that at full throttle the plane tracks great no dip or anything like the motor thrust was set perfect from the factory
shadow102 is online now Find More Posts by shadow102
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:12 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
First of all I use RealPlayer.
HydroThief , JrJr, & Genie;
AAH-SUM! and Thanx a Million, guys. All others - please no more replies here!!!!!
~S*H
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by StarHopper44; Oct 16, 2011 at 11:48 AM.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:15 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickBee View Post
Has anyone used carbon rod for pushrods in the standard skysurfer ver 2.0 tubes?
If so what did you do for connections? Thanks!
How To Make a Carbon Control Rod (4 min 52 sec)

...should give ya some clues.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2011, 11:43 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow102 View Post
just maidened my bixler, only got a few minutes as rain rolled in (weather channel lied) Plane flies really well but is going to take a little getting used to as the controls feel very lazy compared to what i am used to.

i think my only complaint is a couple times at lower power/power off the plane will go into a steep climb and stall for no apparent reason, i caught it a couple times and leveled it out but almost lost it once as well. i also noticed that at full throttle the plane tracks great no dip or anything like the motor thrust was set perfect from the factory
Sounds tail-heavy....what size LiPo & where's it positioned? Where's your balance point relative to 60mm CoG ?? Elevator level on center-stick & trim centered? (Re pushrod/clevis length)
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2011, 11:53 AM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,741 Posts
Quote:
But seriously....so what was the black stuff???
A pair of his black panties he uses to keep the battery from shifting?

Seriously, I can't fathom why anyone would take off again following a crash, however minor or not, without a thorough inspection. That was asking for trouble.

Ted
G550Ted is offline Find More Posts by G550Ted
Old Oct 13, 2011, 11:57 AM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,360 Posts
Quote:
Sounds tail-heavy....what size LiPo & where's it positioned? Where's your balance point relative to 60mm CoG ?? Elevator level on center-stick & trim centered? (Re pushrod/clevis length)
2200mah 3s thats decently far foward. CoG is dead on at 60mm...i need to play with the trim a little i may need to add some down trim, probably just need to spend more time with it in the air and get it setup correctly

video of the maiden, landing was a little rough i wasnt paying attention to the wind and came in cross wind...did another landing after this and greased it no problem into the wind.

Bixler maiden flight (2 min 44 sec)
shadow102 is online now Find More Posts by shadow102
Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:12 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G550Ted View Post
Seriously, I can't fathom why anyone would take off again following a crash, however minor or not, without a thorough inspection. That was asking for trouble.

Ted
+ <<some big number>>
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq