SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Sep 23, 2010, 01:21 AM
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,651 Posts
Here are two sets of HK LED strips cut and soldered up, ready to install on the wings. This plane will also have traditional FAA navigation lights (not shown). The landlng light (not shown) will point inward in the nose of the white fuselage to illuminate the inside of the fuselage. The bright landing light does a respectable job of lighting up the fuselage.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2010, 12:12 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
kman24's Avatar
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
4,697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Here are two sets of HK LED strips cut and soldered up, ready to install on the wings. This plane will also have traditional FAA navigation lights (not shown). The landlng light (not shown) will point inward in the nose of the white fuselage to illuminate the inside of the fuselage. The bright landing light does a respectable job of lighting up the fuselage.
You are still going to need to wear sunglasses with all them lights.

KMan
kman24 is online now Find More Posts by kman24
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 12:27 PM
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman24 View Post
You are still going to need to wear sunglasses with all them lights.

KMan
KMan,

It should be visible.

Bill
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 23, 2010, 03:02 PM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
road_rascal's Avatar
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
KMan,

It should be visible.

Bill

From where, 10 miles away?
road_rascal is offline Find More Posts by road_rascal
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 05:01 PM
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by road_rascal View Post
From where, 10 miles away?
At 1500 foot of altitude probably three to five miles.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 23, 2010, 05:17 PM
flyvertigo
Orlando FL
Joined Aug 2009
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Flyvertigo,

Thanks for the idea to remove the washers.

Bill
You are welcome.. Thanks for all the work on flaps/spoilerons.
I have a BEC on order.

Jim
flyvertigo is online now Find More Posts by flyvertigo
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 07:02 PM
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyvertigo View Post
You are welcome.. Thanks for all the work on flaps/spoilerons.
I have a BEC on order.

Jim
Jim,

The flaps at full deployment really do the job. Position 1 on spoilerons (about 1/4") help but the full deployment flaps provide 90% of what I want. So, outfitting your SF with flaps alone will provide most of what you need.

Bill
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 23, 2010, 07:35 PM
flyvertigo
Orlando FL
Joined Aug 2009
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Jim,

The flaps at full deployment really do the job. Position 1 on spoilerons (about 1/4") help but the full deployment flaps provide 90% of what I want. So, outfitting your SF with flaps alone will provide most of what you need.

Bill

Bill

Flaps are the only thing I'm planning for the wing mods.
What angle is "full deployment"?

Jim
flyvertigo is online now Find More Posts by flyvertigo
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2010, 08:19 PM
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyvertigo View Post
Bill

Flaps are the only thing I'm planning for the wing mods.
What angle is "full deployment"?

Jim
Jim,

There is no anfle measurement I set as a goal, it was merely a function of wanting as much as I could get with control horn position (moved aft of cut line) and the length of the servo arm on a HXT900.

Bill
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 24, 2010, 12:14 AM
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,651 Posts
Here is short video of surface mount Hobbyking LED lights mounted to the wings (60 lights per wing). The fuselage still needs lighting.

Skysurfer with HK LED lights (1 min 39 sec)
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 24, 2010, 12:20 AM
An Aussie in Dubai
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Jan 2009
270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Here is short video of surface mount Hobbyking LED lights mounted to the wings (60 lights per wing). The fuselage still needs lighting.

[
Looks good.
Have you tried flying now that the lights are attached - does it affect the aerodynamics??
I recall AJ played with strip lights on the leading edge on another bird and had issues with lift and control.
pghern is offline Find More Posts by pghern
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2010, 12:29 AM
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghern View Post
Looks good.
Have you tried flying now that the lights are attached - does it affect the aerodynamics??
I recall AJ played with strip lights on the leading edge on another bird and had issues with lift and control.

Good question. No night flight yet. I still need to light up the fuselage and tail. The strips are pretty thin and are not on the leading edge. I thought about embedding them in the foam but others have said there is no discernible effect on the flight characteristics. The maiden with confirm that opinion or not.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 25, 2010, 12:32 AM
Argue for your limitations
ajbaker's Avatar
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Led mounting

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghern View Post
Looks good.
Have you tried flying now that the lights are attached - does it affect the aerodynamics??
I recall AJ played with strip lights on the leading edge on another bird and had issues with lift and control.
Well, yes, I did have severe lift/drag problems with my light setup as noted by pghern. I mounted the leds in a 1/4" square balsa strip and taped the strips on the leading edge of the wing. That was a dumb setup. My goal was to have the lights detachable. On another plane, I embedded them in the leading edge of the wing and had no problems at all. So, any aerodynamic problems would have to be caused by the builder IMO. The extra weight of all of it is barely noticeable.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2010, 12:37 AM
R.I.P, Aardvark.
F-111 John's Avatar
Holt, MI
Joined Jan 2009
1,554 Posts
Welcome Home, AJ?
F-111 John is offline Find More Posts by F-111 John
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2010, 12:41 AM
Argue for your limitations
ajbaker's Avatar
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Availability

Duplicate post. I hate when it does that. It couldn't possibly be me. Darn computers.
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale Cyber Sky Parachute (Sky Surfer) shv2sail Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 6 May 28, 2013 03:14 AM
Discussion Sky Surfer nickwayne11c Electric Plane Talk 15 Nov 18, 2011 03:36 PM
Discussion Banana Hobby Sky Surfer Problems cavy92 Electric Plane Talk 56 Nov 02, 2010 03:49 AM
Question Sky Surfer LiPo mod, help... Freight Dog Power Systems 0 Aug 17, 2006 02:45 PM
Swashplate Assembly with Center Ball; is this the swash with ball mod i want? tekforce Micro Helis 4 Feb 08, 2004 06:28 PM