There's magic in those wings !
Joined Nov 2006
4,847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakelp86 View Post
U could just type : readymaderc.com
or try this:
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...a216c0a4e2f024

her how I (and many others) mount the cam.
Regarding vacations LOL, not such big deal I may end up at upstate NY :-) or Vermont.
I just want to get the new plane up for the Fall colors
If not I may just gut out my EZ* and change few things.
Hi Nakelp86..

I can see you'll be using your Bixler for FPV .. I'm in your place .. and will really appreciate tellinng me your overall weight RTF... I'm having some problems keeping the weight down ...

Thanks a lot

Khaled
khaled_abobakr is offline Find More Posts by khaled_abobakr
Last edited by khaled_abobakr; Oct 11, 2011 at 10:16 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:14 AM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
A heads up for anyone considering ordering the SS canopy from BananaHobby to replace a lost or damaged one (eg, like for my Bix or a SS V1).

It's just the clear plastic part! Totally useless - it won't even fill the cockpit gap without something to mount it on. And on their Spare Parts page, I don't see anything even suggestive of being the correct 'whole thing'.
This is the picture I see on BH's site for the canopy.....

Looks like just the clear part eh? But you're right, what good is that other than maybe replacing the black one with clear.
jrjr is offline Find More Posts by jrjr
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:31 AM
Joined Oct 2007
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrjr View Post
This is the picture I see on BH's site for the canopy.....

Looks like just the clear part eh? But you're right, what good is that other than maybe replacing the black one with clear.
Save the clear canopy. If you ever order just a fuselage, you only get the insert, no clear part or pilot. Strange, to say the least.
Ole Joe is offline Find More Posts by Ole Joe
Last edited by Ole Joe; Oct 11, 2011 at 02:14 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:36 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by netsurfr View Post
I'm looking forward to the ailerons which do require a plane to be more actively flown vs. the RET Radian.
I have not flown a Radian but just wanted to comment on this. Ailerons do not require a plane to be more actively flown. When I hand-launch my Bix I don't have to touch the controls 'till it's time to turn. The Bix is basically just a SS clone with ailerons added, so it flies like a non-aileron SS until you use the ailerons.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:38 AM
Joined Feb 2007
2,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
I have not flown a Radian but just wanted to comment on this. Ailerons do not require a plane to be more actively flown. When I hand-launch my Bix I don't have to touch the controls 'till it's time to turn. The Bix is basically just a SS clone with ailerons added, so it flies like a non-aileron SS until you use the ailerons.
Uh, the SS (if you mean Sky Surfer) also has ailerons. If you mean Slow Stick, then you are correct, but the Bixler isn't a clone of the Slow Stick!
healthyfatboy is offline Find More Posts by healthyfatboy
Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:01 AM
Joined Dec 2010
7,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyfatboy View Post
Uh, the SS (if you mean Sky Surfer) also has ailerons. If you mean Slow Stick, then you are correct, but the Bixler isn't a clone of the Slow Stick!
Oh... I didn't know that about the SS. Sorry. But the stability from hand-launch still applies.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:17 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
A heads up for anyone considering ordering the SS canopy from BananaHobby to replace a lost or damaged one (eg, like for my Bix or a SS V1).

It's just the clear plastic part! Totally useless - it won't even fill the cockpit gap without something to mount it on. And on their Spare Parts page, I don't see anything even suggestive of being the correct 'whole thing'.
I don't know why you or anyone else cannot make a new canopy from Bluecore or depron. I have made a few for different applications. Mainly for camera mounts.
Flypoppa is online now Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:56 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
I don't know why you or anyone else cannot make a new canopy from Bluecore or depron. I have made a few for different applications. Mainly for camera mounts.
My Bix canopy (the black one like the SS V1) came with a 3" scratch just below the top. I thought by ordering the SS canopy -- it looked like a solid white piece in their pic; couldn't really tell much about it but never dreamed it was only the clear part, and after all when we talk "canopy" it's the whole, cockpit-filling, one piece 'thing'....so why's the SS's any different? Anyway I thought I'd get a complete (w/pilot figure) V2 canopy assembly for a drop-on replacement, enabling me to carve a slot into my scratched Bix canopy to hold my Vado HD Flip-Cam for some quality aerial shooting.

Too, why would they have only the clear canopy for sale, and not the rest of the assembly or, pilot figure & magnetic base part? It's a valid "spare part", no? Doesn't make sense to only be able to replace just one part of it.
I'm planning on calling their support line when they open....see what gives.

PS: While I'm posting....yesterday's video of the planned lesson flight didn't come off well. My hardhat-cam needs adjusting; more to the right & leaned back more so, not much to show so far. Yesterday was just the first trial run anyway, so no biggy. We had to abort due to very high winds aloft. I started one turn to align with runway, banked 'er over & pulled up but it just kept going, wouldn't turn! Finally recovered after it came down a bit but Sensei had decided no flying today & took over. It wasn't any light breeze on the deck either - took even HIM 4 tries to get 'er down near to us. We had 2 other gassers crash theirs, & another small electro 3d'r that's normally a 'ball of fur' could only fly backwards *LOL*. Good thing the club was havin' a cookout - only thing that kept me at the field!
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2011, 12:00 PM
Go fly a jet today
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Oct 2011
87 Posts
Quote:
Curious... any of you flown a Radian or Radian Pro along w/ the SS/Bix & if so how do they compare in floatiness/thermaling? I am hoping the Bixler floats similar to the Radian & it's as relaxed to fly.
Netsufr, the SS/Bixler is what your looking for, it slows down enough like the Radiant but it is easer to land, I was flying mine at a 1/4 throttle, with the CG over the spar you can get a flat glide.

CARS II
CARS II is offline Find More Posts by CARS II
Old Oct 11, 2011, 12:08 PM
Go fly a jet today
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Oct 2011
87 Posts
Papo60

Yes, on the anchor screws but, I only use the threaded part, with a 2200ma batt. I end up with a CG right over the spar, the added weight is minimun and that's what I had laying around at home.

I may end up with the spoon air intake over the hole to make it look and to get more air in.

Thanks for the tips.

CARS II
CARS II is offline Find More Posts by CARS II
Old Oct 11, 2011, 03:31 PM
Here because of FPV
Toronto
Joined Jul 2010
103 Posts
In short I think my horizontal stabilizer is out of alignment with my wings and out of square with the tail. What do I do?

I have a skysurfer v1 that I use for FPV. It has an inclination to bank to the right that I have been battling.

After trying lots of positions for the ailerons / lots of trim settings I have come to notice that the horizontal stabilizer is at a slight angle, higher on the right when looking from the rear of the plane. The rudder seems true.

What should I do? The only thing I can think of is to somehow cut it off, trim some material to make it level and glue it back on. There must be a better idea. Can I bend it with heat?
bradsears is offline Find More Posts by bradsears
Old Oct 11, 2011, 03:52 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Oh... I didn't know that about the SS. Sorry. But the stability from hand-launch still applies.
That is why I never use SS on this thread for the Sky Surfer. It causes too much confusion. I always use SkyS as a short name for the Sky Surfer. It makes things clearer.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Oct 11, 2011, 03:54 PM
Joined Dec 2010
7,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
That is why I never use SS on this thread for the Sky Surfer. It causes too much confusion. I always use SkyS as a short name for the Sky Surfer. It makes things clearer.
AJ
Ha! Yeah... I'll do that. I had forgotten there even WAS a Slow Stick!
Old Oct 11, 2011, 03:56 PM
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Jul 2009
620 Posts
Good to hear! I liked the relax flying of the Radian so glad they fly similarly. Also like that the Bixler is smaller so easier to transport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARS II View Post
Netsufr, the SS/Bixler is what your looking for, it slows down enough like the Radiant but it is easer to land, I was flying mine at a 1/4 throttle, with the CG over the spar you can get a flat glide.

CARS II
netsurfr is offline Find More Posts by netsurfr
Old Oct 11, 2011, 04:55 PM
SARG5
10 Miles north of Russell, Ks. on US281 hy
Joined Oct 2009
655 Posts
Out of line.
What I did on mine was to cut under the hoz. stab. on the LEFT SIDE, enough to let it pull back down to get things level. It worked.
SARG5
SARG5 is offline Find More Posts by SARG5