HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 15, 2010, 11:59 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
4,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Hobbyking Turnigy 60 LED green surface mount LEDs on a 3S. Do you think they are bright enough?

Bill
You better wear your sunglasses when you got those babies on

KMan
kman24 is offline Find More Posts by kman24
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2010, 12:04 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman24 View Post
You better wear your sunglasses when you got those babies on

KMan
Kman,

My teeth still have green glow to them.

Bill
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 17, 2010, 12:23 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,653 Posts
Light layout on Skysurfer

I cut and soldered a pattern of LED strips that I will use on the Skysurfer. I used 26 gage wire to solder the strips back toether (parallel). Power is a 3S.

Sorry about the color shift and blurring. The LEDs are son of gun to photograph. When finished there will be red set of lights on the other side and white lights on the fuselage with red flashing light on the tail.

BTW, the lights are taped on the left wing, it should be the right, I just didn't want to remove and re-tape.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 17, 2010, 02:18 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,653 Posts
I received the brushed Skysurfer from BH. It was returned kit that BH sold to me because I just wanted the foam. It arrived today minus the wings. Ooops, I guess BH not quite yet a well oiled machine.

Saralyn was called and she has requested the wings be sent.

That said, I did pull the brushed motor but in doing so the two halves of the fuselage were glued together so poorly I totally separated them. Brushed motor and ESC are out. The six washers are much easier to remove this way. I used AJ's hot water technique. In fact, hot tap water softened up the hot glue and I pulled the washers easily. Here are some pictures.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 17, 2010, 04:13 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
Joined Jan 2010
4,705 Posts
Quote:
I cut and soldered a pattern of LED strips that I will use on the Skysurfer. I used 26 gage wire to solder the strips back toether (parallel). Power is a 3S.

Sorry about the color shift and blurring. The LEDs are son of gun to photograph. When finished there will be red set of lights on the other side and white lights on the fuselage with red flashing light on the tail.

BTW, the lights are taped on the left wing, it should be the right, I just didn't want to remove and re-tape.
That is definitely bright enough! When you connect to a 3s lipoly battery up to those lights, do you connect it to the balance charging connector? If so, do they make a male connector that you are using that you use to interface, or do you have another way of doing that.

KMan
Old Sep 17, 2010, 04:34 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,653 Posts
Quote:
That is definitely bright enough! When you connect to a 3s lipoly battery up to those lights, do you connect it to the balance charging connector? If so, do they make a male connector that you are using that you use to interface, or do you have another way of doing that.

KMan
Kman,

I simply soldered up a Dean's male plug to test them out. You could use the balance leads for power if you have female balance tap lying around I am just going to solder in a female JST connector in the power lead that goes to the ESC and use a male connector on the lights. Each LED system has to be powered per its design voltage. The 60 LED strip uses a 3S pack. There is small resistor in every 3 LEDs. You cut them at that interval and use thin gage stranded wire to solder the strips to together.

For wire, you can buy 25' roll of stranded wire for $5 plus shipping. I got some 26 gage from work but bought a couple of rolls on line at powerwerx.com since my hobby is mine, not the company i work for on a daily basis. Some guys harvest the wire from phone lines and left over PCs. You don't need a lot but you do want lightweight and flexible stranded wire.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 17, 2010, 04:42 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
Joined Jan 2010
4,705 Posts
Quote:
Kman,

I simply soldered up a Dean's male plug to test them out. You could use the balance leads for power if you have female balance tap lying around I am just going to solder in a female JST connector in the power lead that goes to the ESC and use a male connector on the lights. Each LED system has to be powered per its design voltage. The 60 LED strip uses a 3S pack. There is small resistor in every 3 LEDs. You cut them at that interval and use thin gage stranded wire to solder the strips to together.

For wire, you can buy 25' roll of stranded wire for $5 plus shipping. I got some 26 gage from work but bought a couple of rolls on line at powerwerx.com since my hobby is mine, not the company i work for on a daily basis. Some guys harvest the wire from phone lines and left over PCs. You don't need a lot but you do want lightweight and flexible stranded wire.

Bill
Gotcha! I hope to get some more evening flights in this weekend. I just don't think my camera will make for very good videos when it is pitch dark out. We'll see.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 07:58 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,653 Posts
Quote:
Gotcha! I hope to get some more evening flights in this weekend. I just don't think my camera will make for very good videos when it is pitch dark out. We'll see.
Don't bother. I took video of one nightflyer and it really wasn't very good. It takes an explanation to understand what's on the video.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 19, 2010, 11:49 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,653 Posts
Couple of backyard videos

First is on board.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn6wHg8OR5g

Second is the hat cam.
Skysurfer hat cam backyard flying and short field landings. 9-19-10 (6 min 17 sec)

Lighting was delayed due a weekend of honey do's. We'll get them installed this week.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 20, 2010, 12:16 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2008
121 Posts
I how many UFO sighting stories y'all are generating with your nite flying?

GeneH
Alpha35 is offline Find More Posts by Alpha35
Old Sep 20, 2010, 12:20 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha35 View Post
I how many UFO sighting stories y'all are generating with your nite flying?

GeneH
I am sure it will have some people wondering what it is. They won't be able to find me since I am hidden from the road and I don't plan on wearing any lights.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 20, 2010, 12:59 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2008
121 Posts
Next thing you know, you will have the UFO Hunters TV show dudes snooping
around trying to solve the mystery of the "Canton Lights".
Alpha35 is offline Find More Posts by Alpha35
Old Sep 20, 2010, 01:04 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha35 View Post
Next thing you know, you will have the UFO Hunters TV show dudes snooping
around trying to solve the mystery of the "Canton Lights".
I will have to wear my Darth Vader helmet.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 20, 2010, 03:35 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
I built the internet!!!

Quote:
The six washers are much easier to remove this way. I used AJ's hot water technique.
Thanks for the props. But the credit for this great way to remove the washers goes totally to flyvertigo. I could never take credit for his (or anyone else's) idea. HERE is his post.
But, let me tell you about how I designed and built the internet........

AJ
P.S. I will be back home is a week or so. I have been in Europe for the last two weeks and I am having fabulous time. Internet availibility is scarce or very, very expensive (up to 1 euro a minute).
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Last edited by ajbaker; Sep 20, 2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 04:55 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Thanks for the props. But the credit for this great way to remove the washers goes totally to flyvertigo. I could never take credit for his (or anyone else's) idea. HERE is his post.
But, let me tell you about how I designed and built the internet........

AJ
P.S. I will be back home is a week or so. I have been in Europe for the last two weeks and I am having fabulous time. Internet availibility is scarce or very, very expensive (up to 1 euro a minute).

Flyvertigo,

Thanks for the idea to remove the washers.

AJ,
Sorry, it was Al Gore who invented the internet.

Hurry home, we miss you.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Sep 20, 2010 at 10:48 PM.