SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 06, 2011, 02:58 PM
Joined Jan 2007
2,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffh View Post
Thanks.

I find that "watts" is a much more accurate measurement of the power of a motor than kv, although kv is certainly important.

I have 2 different motors that could be installed in my Bixler when it arrives. One about 1700kv and around 110 watts and the other 2200kv and around 220 watts. Looks like the larger motor would be better suited to the job, although maybe a tad overpowered. Just need less throttle.

Cliff
Watts obviously is the best measurement of power but the kV will give you an idea of whether or not the motor is better suited for speed or torque.
healthyfatboy is offline Find More Posts by healthyfatboy
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2011, 03:22 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffh View Post
I find that "watts" is a much more accurate measurement of the power of a motor than kv
That may be because kv is not a power rating at all. It's like an axle ratio in a car where watts is like hp.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Oct 06, 2011, 03:27 PM
Gustavus, OH
Joined Oct 2007
490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyfatboy View Post
Watts obviously is the best measurement of power but the kV will give you an idea of whether or not the motor is better suited for speed or torque.
I have a tiny, and I mean TINY 4000kv motor that only draws about 15 watts. Like you say, it takes a certain combination of power AND kv to pick the proper motor.

We need power (watts) for the size and weight of the plane and the speed for the propeller to be used (kv). We are limited with this plane to a 6" prop which pretty much requires a faily high kv motor to obtain the needed power/torque.

It is easy to look at these airplanes as toys, and they are, but they are also so much more. Always fun learning.

Cliff
cliffh is offline Find More Posts by cliffh
Old Oct 06, 2011, 03:27 PM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
+1. However, for me and my flying needs, I find that 30-45 degrees max works best for me. Too much flap (i.e. 90 degrees) makes landing more difficult for me. How many degrees do you use (max)?
I think spoilers would be better for landing in a very small field. But, I reserve the right to be wrong about that. I still have to put spoilers on ANY plane to get the experience and gain a small bit of knowledge.

AJ
I also have about 45 degrees of flap with some down elevator mixed in. I like the way I can come in from height steeply without access speed.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2011, 03:31 PM
Joined Jan 2007
2,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
I also have about 45 degrees of flap with some down elevator mixed in. I like the way I can come in from height steeply without access speed.
With flaps deployed, do you still get roll from the ailerons? I ask because I have been looking to set my SS up with flaps but haven't gotten around to it. I might do it tonight when I swap receivers to 72MHz but want to make sure I can still control the roll axis when flaps are deployed.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2011, 04:14 PM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,095 Posts
Quote:
With flaps deployed, do you still get roll from the ailerons? I ask because I have been looking to set my SS up with flaps but haven't gotten around to it. I might do it tonight when I swap receivers to 72MHz but want to make sure I can still control the roll axis when flaps are deployed.
Yes. It is still fully controllable. I can still add a bit of power to bring it close to me landing. None of my other models have flaps, and this is the first time that I have built them. I found that my Bixler was so floaty that I added them as an experiment which seem to work well.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2011, 06:08 PM
Joined Aug 2009
5 Posts
Quote:
Great. Does the invoice specifically say V3? If so, I want to hook you up with a buyer of the V2 RTF from them and take pics of both to see if there is any difference at all.
You did buy the RTF. Right????
AJ
Right, the RTF...and yes the invoice specifically says V3. BTW, mine is yet to be assembled, so picture taking should be very revealing.
Maculsay is offline Find More Posts by Maculsay
Last edited by Maculsay; Oct 06, 2011 at 06:21 PM.
Old Oct 06, 2011, 06:18 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
WE NEED SOMEONE WITH ALL THE SPECS FOR a V2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maculsay View Post
Right, the RTF...and yes it specifically says V3
Cool. Very Cool. Now, will some kind soul jump in here and compare notes with maculsay and find out what differences there are in the V2 and V3 RTF!! Anyone, please. All of us have been wondering for a long time what the differences (if any) are between the V2 and V3. Ok. Guys, the spotlight in on you. I will be your humble Page #1 poster with the differences on record. Good luck guys. I am grateful and a lot of us are anxious to read your posts (Maculsay and ???). TIA you two.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Oct 06, 2011, 06:23 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Yes. Hook up the battery side to 110v. Then, push any two wires into GENE's nose (or jewsicles). If nothing happens, the ESC is faulty. If GENE lights up like a pumpkin, you have a really cool porch decoration for Halloween.
AJ
P.S. As an alternative, you could test it in another working plane.
Can I borrow some of your clothes for a Halloween party? I want to go as a grumpy old fart.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Oct 06, 2011, 06:45 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Thanks for that, Gino.
And wow - no inquisition!
Would it have mattered anyway?
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Oct 06, 2011, 07:38 PM
Joined Jan 2007
2,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
Yes. It is still fully controllable. I can still add a bit of power to bring it close to me landing. None of my other models have flaps, and this is the first time that I have built them. I found that my Bixler was so floaty that I added them as an experiment which seem to work well.
So, basically, it takes the two ailerons and makes them flaps as well as ailerons? Then that would be flaperons right? From the looks of what you and AJ do, it seems you have the flaps go up but then it would be spoilerons. Am I confused?
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2011, 08:36 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
Can I borrow some of your clothes for a Halloween party? I want to go as a grumpy old fart.
I heard you were going wearing nothing but roller skates.
Pull toy.
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2011, 08:38 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
I heard you were going wearing nothing but roller skates.
Pull toy.
Oooh... a compliment!
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Oct 06, 2011, 08:43 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,569 Posts
Quote:
So, basically, it takes the two ailerons and makes them flaps as well as ailerons? Then that would be flaperons right? From the looks of what you and AJ do, it seems you have the flaps go up but then it would be spoilerons. Am I confused?
Flaps are separate. Flaperons are programming your ailerons to go down, but this is not good. It makes the plane tend to tip stall. Spoilerons can be separate or programmed into ailerons. These kill lift. The easiest to do is simply cut in flaps. See video below for a Sksurfer with cut in flaps and programmed ailerons for spoilerons. I found the max flap angle to do the best job of slowing down the Skysurfer and shortening the landing zone.

Skysurfer with flaps and spoilerons (0 min 53 sec)

Here are flight tests in my backyard.
Skysurfer -- just landings with flaps and spoilerons (2 min 59 sec)
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2011, 09:27 PM
Joined Jan 2007
2,052 Posts
So how is that different from crow?
RCG Plus Member