SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 05, 2011, 03:41 PM
Joined Oct 2007
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron RC View Post
I had a prop explode both blades on my original SS ver1. It happened inside in the basement, just running up the motor (and not wot), embedded one blade into the accoustical ceiling tile. They were REALLY junk. And FWIW if you look on the internal box the SS came with (the one with the pictures etc, it says it is a 5x3 prop. Unfortunately don't have my orig box anymore or would take a pic. If anyone has their orig box lying around, read all the stuff on it and you should see it there. (unless they changed the graphics)

Ron
Here a a couple of pictures from two different boxes that I have received from BH over the last year or so. One of the boxes contained a 'kit' with a BL motor upgrade, the other contained 2 raw fuselages only.
Ole Joe is offline Find More Posts by Ole Joe
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2011, 04:36 PM
United States, TN, Oakland
Joined Sep 2008
29 Posts
I'm using a Turnigy Plush 25 Amp Esc on my Bixler with the stock motor and 2200 Mah 3cell lipo. Any suggestions on how to program this esc? I do have a Turnigy programming card.
dmoshiloh is offline Find More Posts by dmoshiloh
Old Oct 05, 2011, 04:47 PM
Parma, Ohio
Joined May 2010
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Joe View Post
Here a a couple of pictures from two different boxes that I have received from BH over the last year or so. One of the boxes contained a 'kit' with a BL motor upgrade, the other contained 2 raw fuselages only.
Ya know, these old eyes must be failing me. I suppose 5x8 could look like 5x3 if the old eyes weren't workin too good !! However my original SS was over 2 years ago and I remember shortly later they claimed to have upgraded the prop. Donno if they changed the pitch. Anyway I will stand corrected and mystery solved.

Ron
Ron RC is offline Find More Posts by Ron RC
Old Oct 05, 2011, 05:37 PM
Gustavus, OH
Joined Oct 2007
490 Posts
While I'm waiting for my Bixler to arrive, I have a question,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
anyone using a CF2812 1600kv motor?

How is it working for you?

I have a few sitting around and would like to use one.

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ushless/Detail

Cliff
cliffh is offline Find More Posts by cliffh
Old Oct 05, 2011, 09:14 PM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,360 Posts
my upgraded prop showed up for my bixler today....yet the plane still wont be here until next week
shadow102 is offline Find More Posts by shadow102
Old Oct 05, 2011, 09:28 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow102 View Post
my upgraded prop showed up for my bixler today....yet the plane still wont be here until next week
You can't have a upgraded prop it you don't yet have a prop to upgrade.
Drop and give me 20.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Oct 05, 2011, 11:37 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,743 Posts
Well, hopefully the dust has settled a bit, and in the clearer air, I hope Ol' Joe won't mind me getting the topic back to my central question:
"... [Is] "ours" indeed a 5x3. Anybody with the tools & know-how to physically measure one & determine what it truly is?? "

And whether its a "big deal" to anyone, doesn't answer the question. Just because in one person's opinion the stock prop is junk, doesn't logically infer ALL 5x3's are junk. I'm looking for a better, or more reliable 5x3....and if it's a 5x4, I'll know to look in another direction. Simple as that.
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2011, 11:47 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffh View Post
While I'm waiting for my Bixler to arrive, I have a question,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
anyone using a CF2812 1600kv motor?

How is it working for you?

I have a few sitting around and would like to use one.

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ushless/Detail

Cliff
One of the first things I noted on your link:
"It will produce about 23 ounces of thrust using a 3 cell Lipo battery and a 7 inch prop."

The recommended all up weight we're working with is 650g or ~23 oz, and max prop you can mount & clear the fuse w/o raising the motor's angle is 6" so.....your call, but I don't think it's got the 'oomph' you'd want.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2011, 12:04 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
You can't have a upgraded prop it you don't yet have a prop to upgrade.
Drop and give me 20.
Don't discount the flux capacitor.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2011, 01:05 AM
Australia, WA, Albany
Joined Sep 2011
13 Posts
G'day.

A few thoughts about my Bixler/Skysurfer. (Sorry no pics or vid at the moment).
I very recently bought and put together my plane using the kit and my own choice of electronics. It all went together pretty smoothly - I can't really add any more to what others have already shared about the build - I have definitely been trawling this thread for ideas. I'm running a 2212 2200kv motor from rctimer with a Turnigy 30amp Plush ESC and 2200 Lipo. It seems to be a great combination! Other mods have been limited to a beefed up carbon rod and fibreglass packing tape. I haven't weighed it yet. The COG is between the 60 to 75mm range. - Don't have an accurate figure, I used my fingers to check the balance. After pulling out the weights in the nose the battery needs to be placed as far forward as possible. I may need to add a little more weight back to the nose for more stability. Right now it flies quite neutrally with barely no perceptable self righting capabilities; in a dive test it stays in the dive and I don't think it will pull out on its own accord.

I made a recess in front of the motor in the wing mount for the ESC. I think it looks pretty good and it seemed to keep the ESC cool during flight. I think I have sacrificed some of the strength in the wing mount to do this. I've wrapped the area in fibre reenforced tape to compensate.. Hopefully it will last the distance.

Anyway, the plane flies really well!! After a lot of slope gliders this is my first real powered plane and I'm having a lot of fun. I enjoyed flying circling around with a lot of pelicans today searching for some lift. It was a beautiful day with next to no wind. Perfect. I had a super time. With a massive flat mown field it super easy to land - especially compared to landing a glider at the coastal hills I'm used to.

A question: If I use any more than about quarter throttle I seem to need to input a bit of up elevator to keep the flight level, let alone start to climb. If I was to apply full throttle and not touch the elevator I'm sure it would settle into a screaming death dive. Is this normal? The thrust line seems to be the same as other pics I've seen.

One downer. I seemed to have killed my ESC. Its a Turnigy Mystery 30AMP. The first time I flew I had a couple times it cut out just for an instant. Today, on my second battery, it got a lot worse and then the motor quit altogther. The BEC part still works thankfully. Now when I plug it in there are no startup sounds. When I apply throttle the motor shudders a bit but thats it. The ESC also starts to warm up quickly which it didn't do before. I guess it is broken.

I have another ESC as back up. Is there anything I should do so I don't have the same problem again??
Brucethart is offline Find More Posts by Brucethart
Old Oct 06, 2011, 01:22 AM
Space is the answer
Australia, VIC, Warneet
Joined Mar 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Well, hopefully the dust has settled a bit, and in the clearer air, I hope Ol' Joe won't mind me getting the topic back to my central question:
"... [Is] "ours" indeed a 5x3. Anybody with the tools & know-how to physically measure one & determine what it truly is?? "

And whether its a "big deal" to anyone, doesn't answer the question. Just because in one person's opinion the stock prop is junk, doesn't logically infer ALL 5x3's are junk. I'm looking for a better, or more reliable 5x3....and if it's a 5x4, I'll know to look in another direction. Simple as that.
The great Stock Prop saga continues. It does not matter if its a 5X3 or a 5X4 they are both junk IMO and you should upgrade to a 6x4 but to help you resolve the issue SH download this software
http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/software.htm
and if you have a digital camera you should be able to calculate it just from 2 views. Try it I will also try it with the ones I have and we will compare notes.
ozair is offline Find More Posts by ozair
Old Oct 06, 2011, 01:25 AM
Joined Oct 2007
66 Posts
Quote:

First off, determining the pitch of a prop without some precise mesuring instruments to any degree of accuracy is a hit an miss proposition. Even if it could be determined whether it is a 5x3 or a 5x4 means little because props of equal pitch rarely yield the same performance due to differences in airfoils, thickness, structural rigidity and most likely a dozen other factors. And a
question for you; just how are you going to know that you've found a better, more reliable 5x3 or 5x4 prop if you determine the correct pitch?

My stating that the stock prop supplied with the SS/Bixler is junk isn't just my own opinion, there are others who have posted in this forum stating the same damn thing. Use the 'search' function for this forum to view those posts if in doubt. Better yet, take the advice you often give to many others to read the first few posts in this forum, especially the modifications recommended in Post #3, item #16. How in the world did you come to the conclusion, that by me stating that the stock prop was junk, logically inferred that ALL 5x3 props are junk? I just can't wrap my thought process around that statement because it doesn't make any sense.
Ole Joe is offline Find More Posts by Ole Joe
Old Oct 06, 2011, 01:53 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucethart View Post
G'day.

A few thoughts about my Bixler/Skysurfer. (Sorry no pics or vid at the moment).
I very recently bought and put together my plane using the kit and my own choice of electronics. It all went together pretty smoothly - I can't really add any more to what others have already shared about the build - I have definitely been trawling this thread for ideas. I'm running a 2212 2200kv motor from rctimer with a Turnigy 30amp Plush ESC and 2200 Lipo. It seems to be a great combination! Other mods have been limited to a beefed up carbon rod and fibreglass packing tape. I haven't weighed it yet. The COG is between the 60 to 75mm range. - Don't have an accurate figure, I used my fingers to check the balance. After pulling out the weights in the nose the battery needs to be placed as far forward as possible. I may need to add a little more weight back to the nose for more stability. Right now it flies quite neutrally with barely no perceptable self righting capabilities; in a dive test it stays in the dive and I don't think it will pull out on its own accord.

I made a recess in front of the motor in the wing mount for the ESC. I think it looks pretty good and it seemed to keep the ESC cool during flight. I think I have sacrificed some of the strength in the wing mount to do this. I've wrapped the area in fibre reenforced tape to compensate.. Hopefully it will last the distance.

Anyway, the plane flies really well!! After a lot of slope gliders this is my first real powered plane and I'm having a lot of fun. I enjoyed flying circling around with a lot of pelicans today searching for some lift. It was a beautiful day with next to no wind. Perfect. I had a super time. With a massive flat mown field it super easy to land - especially compared to landing a glider at the coastal hills I'm used to.

A question: If I use any more than about quarter throttle I seem to need to input a bit of up elevator to keep the flight level, let alone start to climb. If I was to apply full throttle and not touch the elevator I'm sure it would settle into a screaming death dive. Is this normal? The thrust line seems to be the same as other pics I've seen.

One downer. I seemed to have killed my ESC. Its a Turnigy Mystery 30AMP. The first time I flew I had a couple times it cut out just for an instant. Today, on my second battery, it got a lot worse and then the motor quit altogther. The BEC part still works thankfully. Now when I plug it in there are no startup sounds. When I apply throttle the motor shudders a bit but thats it. The ESC also starts to warm up quickly which it didn't do before. I guess it is broken.

I have another ESC as back up. Is there anything I should do so I don't have the same problem again??
Nice. Welcome to "the club". It is a very enjoyable relaxing bird for sure.

No idea on the ESC. I've got a 55A in my Bix, but I think that's overkill.

The motor's got a lot of downthrust so it makes sense that you'd get a dive with throttle. I'm very pleased my Bix stays level through all throttle settings except that full throttle starts descending a little. I'm not sure what the magic balance of CG, wing incidences and/or thrustline did that. I just lucked out I guess.

If you are in the US, don't even let anyone even THINK you are hassling white birds (like pelicans). Migratory Bird Act is strict and penalties are surprisingly high. And, you get charged by the Feds... yuck... I fly AWAY from white birds. If I can't get away I land until they leave.

Seagulls, not so much, but Pelicans, Egrets, Herons, etc... yeesh... stay away!
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Oct 06, 2011, 03:30 AM
Australia, WA, Albany
Joined Sep 2011
13 Posts
Pelicans

Don't worry. Not even really close to the pelicans. They were even higher than me. I was just using them to find thermals. There must have almost a hundred passing through my window of sky during the hour or so I was around.

I live in Australia but I expect our bird protection laws would be much the same as in the US. I know what you are saying.

Bruce.
Brucethart is offline Find More Posts by Brucethart
Old Oct 06, 2011, 03:39 AM
Serge
Россия, Калужская область, город Калуга
Joined Jun 2011
687 Posts
Quote:
Gotta say, for a deserted air field, you boys fly some pretty big RC planes!
I remember when I was a kid I flew to Ukraine from that airport pretty often by AN-24 (the closest would be Being 737). Then jumped a few times from one of those green ones from your picture with a parachute about 10 years ago. And the plane was already … ah … I would not get into it with no parachute. I’ve never seen those small ones flying. But what I can definitely tell is that there is a free access by care there the guys fly there every weekend and even on quite week evenings. And what funny is … have a closer look here: http://beta-maps.yandex.ru/?ll=36.36...29887863&l=sat
What do you think they are!?
I do not fly there, no need although every day I pass the turn to the airport going to work. I was there recently only once on my lunch time to film the helicopters a bit to the North. The security guy came to me and very kindly asked me to keep the plane away from there little helicopter area and fly over the airport as the rest of the guys do! He realized that I was a new comer and he was very friendly.
ua3xds is offline Find More Posts by ua3xds