HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 03, 2011, 02:04 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozair View Post
What he said!

I still stand by that motor. It's a wonderful powerplant for the Bixler and the EasyStar - I have one in each. Nice long-term flying at half throttle or so, and wild vertical performance when you open it up.

Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2011, 02:08 PM
Joined Oct 2011
33 Posts
I need a 28 hour day to read this thread!

Like others, I've been doing my research, but haven't found what I'm looking for.
Two probably simple (and I'm sure redundant) questions:

Can a separate receiver battery be used with the RTF kit to avoid loss of control should the battery run "fully" down?

Is the battery compartment of the transmitter too tight to use NiMh batteries?

After MANY years away from R/C, I've noticed that my NiMh batteries are too big for the old radios...

BTW, I'm looking to use this plane (and RealFlight over the winter) to get back into flying and to see if my son will find it as fun as I did when I was his age. I want RTF for all the obvious reasons.

Some of my favorite days were my father and I flying a Goldberg Gentle lady to "dangerous" altitudes with an old .09 and seeing who could fly it the longest dead-stick.
We'd sit under a monster Maple tree in lawn chairs and just enjoy the day.
To be young again...
robbnj is offline Find More Posts by robbnj
Last edited by robbnj; Oct 03, 2011 at 03:56 PM.
Old Oct 03, 2011, 02:46 PM
Worcestershire, England
Joined Nov 2007
481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
What he said!

I still stand by that motor. It's a wonderful powerplant for the Bixler and the EasyStar - I have one in each. Nice long-term flying at half throttle or so, and wild vertical performance when you open it up.

Thank-you!
Sooo nice not to have to buy items in for a new model! Especially when i have said 3900kv BL motor, a 40amp esc and a few Rhino 2200 3s 30c lipos hanging around!!
Not started building it yet as i'm still trying to decide what mods to do and how to do them!
CF spar the whole length of the wing and tailplane are obviously a must!
Jam1e is offline Find More Posts by Jam1e
Last edited by Jam1e; Oct 03, 2011 at 02:55 PM.
Old Oct 03, 2011, 04:31 PM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam1e View Post
Thank-you!
Sooo nice not to have to buy items in for a new model! Especially when i have said 3900kv BL motor, a 40amp esc and a few Rhino 2200 3s 30c lipos hanging around!!
Not started building it yet as i'm still trying to decide what mods to do and how to do them!
CF spar the whole length of the wing and tailplane are obviously a must!
Another pretty motor that's never in stock?
jrjr is offline Find More Posts by jrjr
Old Oct 03, 2011, 04:44 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrjr View Post
Another pretty motor that's never in stock?
It's been on-again, off-again.

I've bought three of them, at three different times.
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
Old Oct 03, 2011, 05:20 PM
Joined Feb 2010
15 Posts
Motor options

Has anyone seen or used this motor from Value Hobby ?

http://www.valuehobby.com/product_de...73&item_id=585

The price is right.
neverup is offline Find More Posts by neverup
Old Oct 03, 2011, 06:23 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbnj View Post
Like others, I've been doing my research, but haven't found what I'm looking for.

Can a separate receiver battery be used with the RTF kit to avoid loss of control should the battery run "fully" down? Why would you want to do so? Buy a kit with a lipo. Most of people who post here use a 2200 3S with a brushless motor option. Hobbyking sells 20C 3s lipos for $9. They are lighter and have more capacity than your old Nicads. In addition, today's ESC has a low voltage cutoff where you can't run the motor but it does power the receiver and servos although you never want to run a pack to LVC. You can also install a universal battery elimination circuit (UBEC).

Is the battery compartment of the transmitter too tight to use NiMh batteries? [B]AA alkaline or AA nicad should work well. [/B]

After MANY years away from R/C, I've noticed that my NiMh batteries are too big for the old radios...OK, so take them to recycling center.

BTW, I'm looking to use this plane (and RealFlight over the winter) to get back into flying and to see if my son will find it as fun as I did when I was his age. I want RTF for all the obvious reasons. Excellent plane for doing so.

Some of my favorite days were my father and I flying a Goldberg Gentle lady to "dangerous" altitudes with an old .09 and seeing who could fly it the longest dead-stick.
We'd sit under a monster Maple tree in lawn chairs and just enjoy the day.
To be young again...
Where do I start? See my comments above in bold.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Oct 03, 2011 at 06:28 PM.
Old Oct 03, 2011, 06:25 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,680 Posts
Quote:

Can a separate receiver battery be used with the RTF kit to avoid loss of control should the battery run "fully" down?

Is the battery compartment of the transmitter too tight to use NiMh batteries?

Hi Rob, & welcome 'home'
#1 - search either this thread, or at RC vendors, for "UBEC". That takes care of the receiver/servo power for overdischarge situations. Be aware that most popular ESC's have a form of BEC built in....and are programmable for the action you want 'em to take when voltage gets low.

#2 - I'll presume you're referring to the compartment of the Tx on these RTFs. Speaking for the HK-6DF that comes with the Bix, imagine 8 AA's layng side-by-side, single row....that's the dims of the battery compartment. I'd imagine the Tx supplied with the SkySurfer would be much the same.
FWIW, I looked into using a low-discharge LiPo with my HK-6DF, but considering the opening up, wiring changes to accommodate, warranty voidage, yada yada yada yada yada....you're far better off to just use the AA's the Tx is made to accommodate - for both the convenience and the cost.
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2011, 06:45 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,680 Posts
Back to the Beta....

This concerns the stock prop on the SS/Bix's. It's been cited in at least a couple of instances as being a 5x3, which I accepted without question. However, a perusal of the almost identical Beta 1400's data reveals it comes with a 5x4 prop....and a couple of spares, for that matter.

Makes me wonder if "ours" is indeed a 5x3. Anybody with the tools & know-how to physically measure one & determine what it truly is??

Another small matter which I'd raise with AJ about the Beta being a truly different airplane from "ours" comes in the form of the pictures of the Beta. If you'll check out the cockpit, & how it has the canopy retaining magnet mounted at center-midway of the aft cockpit bulkhead? You'll note the same molded in 'pockets' for the 2 SS/Bix's retaining magnets, tho empty, conspicuously present. This tells me the same molds are being to used to produce this Beta....and I'll leave it at that.

Now, about that "5x3" prop -- anybody???
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2011, 06:58 PM
Joined Dec 2010
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
1.19mm (.046") is the standard diameter of 21ga music wire, & your local hobby shop ought to have that. While there check out this line of products:
http://shop.dubro.com/home/search/101.0.1.1?q=.047

HTH
Hi Starhopper

Thanks for that mate, i have check those products and MAN do we get screwed here in Australia on Du-Bro produtcs

2 push rods $8 , 8 2mmx12mm self tappers for control horns $6

Can the 2mm pushrods be used without too much drama?
glenncol is offline Find More Posts by glenncol
Old Oct 03, 2011, 06:59 PM
USA, NY, Endicott
Joined Oct 2010
227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neverup View Post
Has anyone seen or used this motor from Value Hobby ?

http://www.valuehobby.com/product_de...73&item_id=585

The price is right.
Neverup, the short ans to your ? is yes. If you want to view the posts where this motor is discussed then just copy the URL for the Value Hobby web site, then click on the "search this thread" tab towards the top of the page & then past the URL in the search box. There are about 10 posts total on this motor.

Here is a copy of the Word doc that I have maintained with all the different motors that have been used successfully by different people on this SS Forum. All preform well (according to the authors) going from more than adequate to screamers.. I have also included a pdf file in case you can not open the Word doc. HTH
Ron
Papo_60 is offline Find More Posts by Papo_60
Old Oct 03, 2011, 07:07 PM
Joined Feb 2010
15 Posts
Thank you Papo 60 I will have a look at this information.
neverup is offline Find More Posts by neverup
Old Oct 03, 2011, 08:52 PM
Joined Oct 2011
33 Posts
"Can a separate receiver battery be used with the RTF kit to avoid loss of control should the battery run "fully" down? Why would you want to do so? Buy a kit with a lipo. Most of people who post here use a 2200 3S with a brushless motor option. Hobbyking sells 20C 3s lipos for $9. They are lighter and have more capacity than your old Nicads. In addition, today's ESC has a low voltage cutoff where you can't run the motor but it does power the receiver and servos although you never want to run a pack to LVC. You can also install a universal battery elimination circuit (UBEC).

Is the battery compartment of the transmitter too tight to use NiMh batteries? AA alkaline or AA nicad should work well.

After MANY years away from R/C, I've noticed that my NiMh batteries are too big for the old radios...OK, so take them to recycling center. "

Oddly, I'm sensing anger in your reply.

I didn't know they were making LiPo batteries for transmitters. I'll have to look into that. Then again, I'm not sure why replacing the drycell AA or NiCd batteries with NiMh that have 4x the capacity is a bad thing (I used to fly all day on a full charge of the transmitter with NiCds).
Should I take the perfectly good radios or the brand new batteries to the recycling center?
My question was based on the recommendation of 8 dry cells for the transmitter. Knowing that NiMh are larger, I was asking if anyone had done such a crazy thing as put NiMh in there instead & if there was a fitment problem.

I see that the UBEC is recommended, but my original question was geared towards an out-of-the-box RTF setup. I know BECs (way back when) had a port to plug the receiver into for power, or you could use the separate receiver battery for obvious reasons.

As stated, I'm going to fly this to see if the bug bites hard enough to drop the dough on bringing my current planes (two P51 Mustangs and two Piper Cherokees with .61s) back "online". I don't plan on spending untold hours and dollars modifying it to see every extreme I can take it to (though I MAY throw a micro camera on it to record some overhead videos of the field I'll fly from).
robbnj is offline Find More Posts by robbnj
Old Oct 03, 2011, 09:06 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenncol View Post
Hi Starhopper

Thanks for that mate, i have check those products and MAN do we get screwed here in Australia on Du-Bro produtcs

2 push rods $8 , 8 2mmx12mm self tappers for control horns $6

Can the 2mm pushrods be used without too much drama?
'Oy mate. Dinna realize you's Ozzian.
Tell ya what I think I'd do in your shoes. Check this page of spare parts for the SS thru BananaHobby:
http://www.bananahobby.com/electric-...7---parts.html

I noted today they now have a full control-linkage set for only $4.90
(BlitzRCWorks Sky Surfer - Push Rod/ Plastic Parts)
If you can get shipment from China, no doubt would be cheaper since they're so much closer to you.

For comparison - I found that today whilst ordering a canopy, 2 props & the prop hardware set (just in case there's some slight difference in adapters). Total came to only $13.90 -- pretty nice until ya tack on the best available shipping rate of $15.27!!! So, we're about as skrued as you'ns. Feel better now? *LOL*
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2011, 09:14 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,650 Posts
Quote:
"Can a separate receiver battery be used with the RTF kit to avoid loss of control should the battery run "fully" down? Why would you want to do so? Buy a kit with a lipo. Most of people who post here use a 2200 3S with a brushless motor option. Hobbyking sells 20C 3s lipos for $9. They are lighter and have more capacity than your old Nicads. In addition, today's ESC has a low voltage cutoff where you can't run the motor but it does power the receiver and servos although you never want to run a pack to LVC. You can also install a universal battery elimination circuit (UBEC).

Is the battery compartment of the transmitter too tight to use NiMh batteries? AA alkaline or AA nicad should work well.

After MANY years away from R/C, I've noticed that my NiMh batteries are too big for the old radios...OK, so take them to recycling center. "

Oddly, I'm sensing anger in your reply.

I didn't know they were making LiPo batteries for transmitters. I'll have to look into that. Then again, I'm not sure why replacing the drycell AA or NiCd batteries with NiMh that have 4x the capacity is a bad thing (I used to fly all day on a full charge of the transmitter with NiCds).
Should I take the perfectly good radios or the brand new batteries to the recycling center?
My question was based on the recommendation of 8 dry cells for the transmitter. Knowing that NiMh are larger, I was asking if anyone had done such a crazy thing as put NiMh in there instead & if there was a fitment problem.

I see that the UBEC is recommended, but my original question was geared towards an out-of-the-box RTF setup. I know BECs (way back when) had a port to plug the receiver into for power, or you could use the separate receiver battery for obvious reasons.

As stated, I'm going to fly this to see if the bug bites hard enough to drop the dough on bringing my current planes (two P51 Mustangs and two Piper Cherokees with .61s) back "online". I don't plan on spending untold hours and dollars modifying it to see every extreme I can take it to (though I MAY throw a micro camera on it to record some overhead videos of the field I'll fly from).
No anger implied. First, it helps to post the TX you are having the problem. We don't know. I think I answered a statement about the TX batteries not a question. If the batteries don't fit the transmitter then your only other option is to buy a pack that does or figure out a way of modifying the battery bay. Most transmitter take 8 AAs of alkaline, NiMh or Nicad. Some new style transmitter only use 4 AA size batteries. Which transmitter do you have? I have used Sanyo Eneloop 2200 mah AA NiMh in by DX6i. In many of my older radios I routinely use NiMH packs or individual cells if it accepts a battery tray.

Do you have brushless or brushed motor version of the Skysurfer / Bixler? If it is a Bixler they only come with brushless motor and brushless ESC.

I am trying to help but getting lost in your post. What are you asking about? A ESC has a BEC so you don't need or want the extra weight of 4 Nicads in lightweight foam glider. Use a UBEC if you want to protect the plane if the battery reached LVC.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member