HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 02, 2011, 04:17 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
He knows. His wife reminds him daily.
Cold. Funny. Hilarious, in fact. I know, I know... don't encourage him!
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2011, 06:07 PM
Joined Aug 2009
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Get a BH SkS and absolutely insist it be a Version 3, under threat of return at their expense & the most negative review they've ever seen.
(We'll tell ya why later.)
Shouldn't be a problem with getting a SkS V3 from BH...I just received mine this last week from them.

Howard
Maculsay is offline Find More Posts by Maculsay
Old Oct 02, 2011, 06:14 PM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maculsay View Post
Shouldn't be a problem with getting a SkS V3 from BH...I just received mine this last week from them.

Howard
We all have been waiting for some more info on V3. What did you get - Kit, RTF, ARF? Can you please describe the differences compared to V2.... Take pictures and fill us all in!!
jrjr is offline Find More Posts by jrjr
Old Oct 02, 2011, 09:44 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maculsay View Post
Howard
#1: how do you know it's a V3.....let's get that squared away first.

#2:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrjr View Post
We all have been waiting for some more info on V3. What did you get - Kit, RTF, ARF? Can you please describe the differences compared to V2.... Take pictures and fill us all in!!
THIS!!!!!!

(And for the clueless....that's why!)

And somebody, wake up AJ. If ya can get his fingers unwrapped from around the pain pill bottle.
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2011, 09:59 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron RC View Post
Here is what I made and use to test the thrust of my setups. It is made from 1/2" pvc, some threaded rod and a few pvc connectors etc. The scale is from Harbor Freight and the total cost was around $20. Works great for me however it wouldn't work unless the motor was out of the plane as you can see. Sure beats $100 and is fairly accurate. I make up some extra mount so I can use different bolt patterns for different motors. Mounts detatch with 1 screw.

Ron
Ron,

Very well done. Below is a kit from Bphobbies.com for $36 including scale.

Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2011, 10:32 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,677 Posts
Excitin' day at the airield today, gang o' mine! I semi-solo'd!!!

Wind today was worse than yesterday at the Big Bird. 15-18 gusting over 20 at about 30 notches cross the runway. We had 6 of the Biggies eat dirt yesterday, if that'll give you any indication....and rank amateurs don't fly that size, don'tcha know. And our beloved li'l Bix stood the storm like a champ, I'm here t' tell ya! Our oldest member is 74, and trust me he's got a few busted props in his history - he was out there watching and said he couldn't believe that little electric fan was flying at all in that kinda wind. Needless to say your friendly neighborhood star hopper was proud as a peacock....tho not near as luvly.

I got in 2 flights....9 of the first 10 minutes with the mission to fly ovals on & off the runway holding altitude & course. About a half minute in Sensei Mike told me forget that & just try to hold altitude & do the best I can. The upwind legs along the runway took a long time, believe that! an the downwind leg, about time you straightened out from the up-end turn you better be preparing to start turning back upwind again....it got down there in a hurry.

Mike took over & landed at end of the first 10, then helped the newcomer I mentioned yesterday with his 3D Stinger II while I sat down & recovered the nerves somewhat. After the shaking stopped, *LMAO....not quite that bad. Just barely not quite* I swapped out the LiPo & got ready for another round but the wind was just too bad so we waited to see if it'd lay down a little as sunset neared.

It did. I hooked up the LiPo & checked controls, & walked out to where Mike & new guy were at one of the pilot's stations. But when I handed the Tx out to him for takeoff, he said no. Huh? "No....give me the plane, I'll launch, you're taking off." Holy jeez!! The wind had died down to about half what it was, but there was still a-plenty. My takeoff was a little jagged, but I pulled it off, & happy to say, 11 minutes later the mighty Bix was back on the grass & still in one wholesome healthy handsome piece. Mike of course took over to land it....still too gusty for me & I sure didn't mind. (Like I said - 1 piece! )

I told Mike later that was like throwing somebody off a boat THEN asking him could he swim! He said he knew I could fly the plane, I'd already showed him that, & it was a test 'cuz ya gotta be prepared to handle the unexpected with these things. Laughingly, I'll add....but I was proud that he had that kind've confidence in me. Almost as proud as with the flying I had just done. THAT was EXCITING, to say the least!! Mike told me just fly it wherever I wanted to but keep the 1OS altitude. I even monkeyed around with it a bit, cutting throttle & trying to keep it hung in one spot in the wind. OH, almost forgot....today's altitude challenge was kind've in reverse from usual. We were catching hella-thermal action & overall upwelling....the problem was keeping it DOWN! Mike lost it a couple times & asked me to bring 'er down some, & the new guy commented if I's gonna be flying up there, I wouldn't have any problem with other planes cuz I'd be flying alone. GO BIX!! *LMAO*

Anyhoo....in all the excitement I forgot to hang out the wing-cam for the first flight, but had it mounted for my 2nd. Not sure the thing worked right (it's pretty hit & miss) as, it had stopped by time we landed & I haven't even checked it yet. Will do so tomorrow & load it up if I got anything.

This'll be a section of my blog if I ever get it started, so hope AJ (and y'all) do't mind me using this as a sorta layout board to get my thoughts down while they're still fresh. Didn't mean it to go this long, but once I got started the words kept pouring out! Other 'things' happened I didn't spell out but, we'll save those for the real thing....ok wich'yall?

Our darlin' airplane was up to the test, impressed several ol' timers, and came thru with flying colors....and I was proud, proud, proud of it!! We got us a GOOD bird here, fellas!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2011, 10:39 PM
Jets Suck (and blow)
Australia, QLD, Deception Bay
Joined Jan 2008
1,825 Posts
Still not finished putting mine together with the mods I'm doing. Assorted CF tubes and control hinges are being fitted to help fix issues people have found with the standard Bixlers. I have gone with a replacement 8mm tube and an extra extension in 6mm to support the weaker wing area where the ailerons start. I have a rod binding at the start of the CF tubes to stop the CF tube from splitting and will be fitting a 6mm CF wing dowel as a slide in removable joiner.

Peril is offline Find More Posts by Peril
Old Oct 02, 2011, 10:49 PM
Parma, Ohio
Joined May 2010
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Ron,

Very well done. Below is a kit from Bphobbies.com for $36 including scale.
Bill, I've seen that one and really considered building a clone of it but I opted to go with my method. I don't have much woodworking tools around here and I thought the pvc method would be a little easier. I have however purchased from BP Hobbies before. I also built a CG machine out of pvc that works quite well also. I guess I'm just a pvc freak.

Ron
Ron RC is offline Find More Posts by Ron RC
Old Oct 02, 2011, 11:02 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
He knows. His wife reminds him daily.
Yes. And very affectionately.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2011, 01:20 AM
Joined Dec 2010
141 Posts
Hi guys
I have to replace the control horns on my Bixler and will be using the ones suggested in the start of this thread, being these ones http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...F10pcs%5F.html

One of my aileron control horns broke off and i also lost the pushrod, which leads me to my main question
I have measured the diameter of the other control rods and they are 1.19mm, but it looks like HK only have M2 push rods being 2mm, is this going to be an issue?

Should i continue using the nylon clevises? or would i be better off with linkage stoppers like these http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...F10pcs%5F.html

Thanks guys
glenncol is offline Find More Posts by glenncol
Old Oct 03, 2011, 04:01 AM
Space is the answer
Australia, VIC, Warneet
Joined Mar 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron RC View Post
Bill, I've seen that one and really considered building a clone of it but I opted to go with my method. I don't have much woodworking tools around here and I thought the pvc method would be a little easier. I have however purchased from BP Hobbies before. I also built a CG machine out of pvc that works quite well also. I guess I'm just a pvc freak.

Ron
Thanks Ron, I might give this one a go.
ozair is offline Find More Posts by ozair
Old Oct 03, 2011, 05:08 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenncol View Post
Hi guys
I have to replace the control horns on my Bixler and will be using the ones suggested in the start of this thread, being these ones http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...F10pcs%5F.html

One of my aileron control horns broke off and i also lost the pushrod, which leads me to my main question
I have measured the diameter of the other control rods and they are 1.19mm, but it looks like HK only have M2 push rods being 2mm, is this going to be an issue?

Should i continue using the nylon clevises? or would i be better off with linkage stoppers like these http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...F10pcs%5F.html

Thanks guys
1.19mm (.046") is the standard diameter of 21ga music wire, & your local hobby shop ought to have that. While there check out this line of products:
http://shop.dubro.com/home/search/101.0.1.1?q=.047

HTH
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2011, 10:27 AM
SARG5
10 Miles north of Russell, Ks. on US281 hy
Joined Oct 2009
655 Posts
DO WE ALL KNOW THE FEELING.
Thinking back some 55 years in my L2 Taylorcraft . The instructor told me to stop at the end of the runway 18. HE GOT OUT!!!!!!!????????????. Told me to take off, fly around, close to the airport for about 15 min. Do 3 touch and go landings. He would see me at the hanger??????????????????????
Darn.!!!!!!!!!! Now what. Remember how quick the L2 jumped into the air!!?? Then the feeling of JOY!!!! [I HAD DID IT.!!}. I was up there in the wild blue BY MYSELF. I DID IT!! Then, after taxing to the hanger. My instructor along with EVERYONE on this little KANSAS FLYING FIELD. were there to shake my hand and pat me on the back. What a day to be alive.
I CONCEIVED IT
I BELIEVED I COULD DO IT
AND I DID ACHIEVE IT.

SARG5
SARG5 is online now Find More Posts by SARG5
Old Oct 03, 2011, 12:39 PM
Worcestershire, England
Joined Nov 2007
481 Posts
So what motor???????????

Hi folks,

I've read some of the thread, but it's soooo long!
Hence i may well be asking something thats already been discussed. If so please feel free to point me in the right direction within the thread

I have around 6 or so suitable motors for this model. I do like lots and lots of power in my models as everyone that knows me will say!

Anyhow, the below links are of 2 motors i already possess and thinking of using in my Bixler.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=4201
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=4200

Has anyone fitted either of these motors in there Skysurfer/bixler and how did it perform? I'm thinking of using one of these motors plus a 2200mah 3s lipo.
Would it make the model too heavy?
Constructive opinions appreciated
Just to add, i will be "beefing" up the model with cf rods and strips to handle high power.
Jam1e is offline Find More Posts by Jam1e
Old Oct 03, 2011, 01:26 PM
Space is the answer
Australia, VIC, Warneet
Joined Mar 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam1e View Post
Hi folks,

I've read some of the thread, but it's soooo long!
Hence i may well be asking something thats already been discussed. If so please feel free to point me in the right direction within the thread

I have around 6 or so suitable motors for this model. I do like lots and lots of power in my models as everyone that knows me will say!

Anyhow, the below links are of 2 motors i already possess and thinking of using in my Bixler.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=4201
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=4200

Has anyone fitted either of these motors in there Skysurfer/bixler and how did it perform? I'm thinking of using one of these motors plus a 2200mah 3s lipo.
Would it make the model too heavy?
Constructive opinions appreciated
Just to add, i will be "beefing" up the model with cf rods and strips to handle high power.
Check this post out.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=5929
ozair is offline Find More Posts by ozair