SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 29, 2011, 06:16 PM
SARG5
10 Miles north of Russell, Ks. on US281 hy
Joined Oct 2009
655 Posts
How about the prop [is it on backwards]?? I know, I know. Any dumb, dumb
knows how to mount a prop. BUT; this sounds about like my first few flight attempts.
launch, and she would down thrust into the ground.
yep. had the prop on backwards. Put the plane on your bench. stand in front of her
get ready, hit the power. if she tries to run over you, your prop is on correct. if not.better do more prop check.
SARG5.
SARG5 is offline Find More Posts by SARG5
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2011, 06:35 PM
Joined Sep 2011
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozair View Post
Bilax, you have 2 choices
1/ open the existing hole on the 6x4 to fit the stock prop adapter or
2/ buy new pro adaptor to suit motor shaft and opening on 6x4

If you read page 1 of the thread it gives instructions on removing the stock adapter, not very hard to do just take your time.

By the way welcome to the thread.
Hello,

I just did the 1st choice. Result : much more noise and , seems to me, less thrust, is it normal ?
bilax is offline Find More Posts by bilax
Old Sep 29, 2011, 07:05 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,557 Posts
[QUOTE=ozair;19458285]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ua3xds View Post
The only thing I can say about where you fly is you must be mad to fly there as some day for many reasons you will lose control of the plane and the results will be catastrophic both to your well being and that of others and also to your finances. Please tell me what would happen if your BEC/Ubec failed at WOT and you caused a car accident, this is just one scenario, there are potentially many others, for everyones safety please reconsider where you fly.
Remember the crowded beach videos? But he knows what he's doing so............ what could POSSIBLY go wrong.
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2011, 07:08 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilax View Post
Hello,

I just did the 1st choice. Result : much more noise and , seems to me, less thrust, is it normal ?
What'd you bore it out with? 17/64 drill bit is the one but, gotta be DEAD CENTER. Then, prop balanced, or re-balanced if it already was.

Lastly, (less thrust)....got it on backwards?

Oh, and....no such thing as a pusher prop on a brushless motor (presumig that's what you've got); motor direction is reversible.
(Page 1 is highly recommended reading - maybe you didn't see the sign on the door? It's our motto in fact. A must. De riguer. Or they'll boot you off the island. Well, not me, per se....but watch out for that 'G' guy.)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by StarHopper44; Sep 29, 2011 at 07:19 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 07:19 PM
Indianola Iowa
Joined Jan 2008
1,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Wow. Your bases are sure covered -- that basically leaves me stumped!
Eager to hear (see pix, maybe??) about the motor alignment. That's only possibility I see.

Uh....on 2d thought. When you swapped out the nose washers, you din't by any chance replace 'em with a boat anchor or anything like that didja? *LOLOL*
That's a definite "EN SLASH ARR" = = = NOT RECOMMENDED!!!

ADDENDUM: WOAH, STOP THE PRESSES! Prop on backwards???
Motor should be turning clockwise when viewed from rear of plane (least, mine does)
Ok looked at plane looks in alingment to me ( I don't have the good photo equipment or the skill most seem to have on this thread but here is a try )Looks kile it did & motor turns clockwise.

Hope it comes through
Jerry ( Sayers1 )
Sayers1 is offline Find More Posts by Sayers1
Last edited by Sayers1; Sep 29, 2011 at 07:20 PM. Reason: More Information
Old Sep 29, 2011, 07:32 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayers1 View Post
Ok looked at plane looks in alingment to me ( I don't have the good photo equipment or the skill most seem to have on this thread but here is a try )Looks kile it did & motor turns clockwise.

Hope it comes through
Jerry ( Sayers1 )
Hi Jer,
Your motor angle looks fine.
In all the excitement of the maiden, did anyone check to see if the elevator servo was reversed on the TX?
Remember, back of the elevator goes up when you pull the stick back.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Sep 29, 2011, 07:38 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,557 Posts
Quote:

Hope it comes through
Jerry ( Sayers1 )
Well no wonder it wants to dive - THERE AIN'T NO WINGS ON IT!!!!!

Just kiddin'. I'm stumped. Got another prop you can try? That's not the stock one, is it?
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2011, 07:42 PM
Indianola Iowa
Joined Jan 2008
1,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
Hi Jer,
In all the excitement of the maiden, did anyone check to see if the elevator servo was reversed on the TX?
Hi There ,Thank you I thought it looked all right to & no the elevator is working as it should not reversed.sure when I find out what wrong it will be something stupid I did
Jerry ( sayers1)
Old Sep 29, 2011, 07:43 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
Hi Jer,
Now that's a thought. 'Bout time you had one.
(Good catch, really. After seein' the motor's ok, I'd almost bet on ya.)
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2011, 07:45 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,557 Posts
Quote:
Hi There ,Thank you I thought it looked all right to & no the elevator is working as it should not reversed.sure when I find out what wrong it will be something stupid I did
Jerry ( sayers1)
OK then, we're back to,
IT AIN'T GOT NO BLOOMIN' WINGS ON IT!!!!!!111one

RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2011, 07:48 PM
Indianola Iowa
Joined Jan 2008
1,063 Posts
Quote:
Well no wonder it wants to dive - THERE AIN'T NO WINGS ON IT!!!!!

Just kiddin'. I'm stumped. Got another prop you can try? That's not the stock one, is it?
Shucks I thought there was something I forgot "WINGS"
No not stock prop APC 6X4E drilled out to fit stock hub ( have a prop addapter for it but can't get the stock one off. I know read the first post's in this thread & it tell's how BUT still won't come off.
Jerry
Old Sep 29, 2011, 07:57 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,557 Posts
Quote:
Shucks I thought there was something I forgot "WINGS"
No not stock prop APC 6X4E drilled out to fit stock hub ( have a prop addapter for it but can't get the stock one off. I know read the first post's in this thread & it tell's how BUT still won't come off.
Jerry
Well dang. hmmmm....
Hey, you got any way of measuring how much thrust you're getting?
Got a gram scale? Any kind you can set on the floor, we'll make do.
Put the plane straight up & down with its nose on the scale & zero it, & while lightly holding the fuse just in front of tail feathers, have someone run motor up to full throttle long enough for you to read the weight the scale's showing. Fully charged battery. Careful - don't let the prop bite ya!

Tell us that & which battery, I'll run a test & see how they compare.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2011, 08:02 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,616 Posts
Quote:
Hi There Mr. Starhopper44
Thank you for the response,first yes we know it takes off into the windsecond the club Instructor started flying at age 12 he is upper 60's now ,however there are few electrics in the club ( mine & one other )we tried at many different levels of throttle same result nose in ground not a little down push a full nose dive.This was with me launching & him on the sticks & full up elevator.has him & me puzzled to say the least as my Easystar don't have this trouble.I will have to check the aligment of motor shaft Plane is still in truck as I write this so will check it later.
Thank you again for the response.
Sayers1 ( jerry )
Check the elevator servo pot on the plane to make sure it's not bad. Full throttle vibration from the prop can cause the servo pot to do strange things. On my first flight of the SS I launched it at full throttle and it dove straight down. Next attempt it launched normally with a tendency to dip. Four or five flights later it started doing involuntay square loops when the throttle was moved to full. After some head scratching and thinking I tested the plane holding it and saw what was happening. Throttling up to wide open I could see the elevator servo fluttering in the up direction most of the time. Root cause? The servo pot was bad. The fix? I replaced the servos with HXT900s. All has been good since.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Sep 29, 2011 at 08:20 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 08:05 PM
Joined Sep 2011
81 Posts
Quote:
What'd you bore it out with? 17/64 drill bit is the one but, gotta be DEAD CENTER. Then, prop balanced, or re-balanced if it already was.
Done, now it seems more equilibrated, but still much more noise !!

Quote:
Lastly, (less thrust)....got it on backwards?
haha ! no !

Quote:
Oh, and....no such thing as a pusher prop on a brushless motor (presumig that's what you've got); motor direction is reversible.
Sur, but the APC prop can be pusher, the hole in the center is bigger on the front of a pusher prop, smaller on a normal one, it's just for the prop adapter on this engine, otherwise my other prop saver could do the job, but I wasnt able to remove the original prop saver.
Quote:
(Page 1 is highly recommended reading - maybe you didn't see the sign on the door? It's our motto in fact. A must. De riguer. Or they'll boot you off the island. Well, not me, per se....but watch out for that 'G' guy.)
I just finished reading the whole page and related links. But one thing I'm not sur of :
Quote:
CG for SkyS V1, V2, and Bixler should be 60mm from LE of wing
On the french bixler forum everyone says that the CG is 68mm , not 60, do you all calibrate your planes for 60mm ?

PS : english is not my mother language
bilax is offline Find More Posts by bilax
Old Sep 29, 2011, 08:12 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Jerry ( sayers1)
Balanced at 60mm?
Bottom of wings and tail parallel to each other?
Ailerons centered nicely in the neutral position?

Have you tried a power off glide test over some tall grass to check the airframe?

I know you know all this but sometimes covering the basics leads to finding a problem we all have over looked.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE