Old Sep 28, 2011, 06:18 PM
Space is the answer
Australia, VIC, Warneet
Joined Mar 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavikshah View Post
Hi guys.

My very first post. Excellent forum and great people around. Have been reading the forums for a while now. Complete newbie to the hobby but have been interested in planes and rc stuff since childhood. would have been into the hobby much earlier if it was not for med school. anyhows, my first few steps....

Finally spent a bit of cash on a bixler kit.

What i'm worried about is the motor that I have ordered. Its the turnigy 2836 2350. I have read earlier dicussion about the motor but it appears no one has tried it yet. I wonder why. is it no good? Will i be able to mount it with minor mods to the pod?

Your advice would be much appreciated.

bhavik
Welcome to the thread Bhavik.

This motor is quite powerful and you cannot mount it with minor mods. For a newbie do not even attempt it. Go for something thats easier to mount such as
http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...6&productname=
This will mount directly onto the plywood spacers provided with the Bixler kit and it is half the weight of the Turnigy motor, HTH.
ozair is offline Find More Posts by ozair
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2011, 08:03 PM
Indianola Iowa
Joined Jan 2008
1,063 Posts
Questions

Hi All
Kind of new at this although I have a Super Cub & Easy star I fly but NOT well.
Have a new Bixler stock but for APC 6X4E prop. batt the stock one that comes with ARF.CF in fusalage Horazontal Stablizer.& yes washers are still in the nose.
Ok with COG at 60mm from leading edge of wing & balanced just a very little & I mean VERY LITTLE nose heavy, Holding the plane in your hand and going WOT it very defentinly wants to go NOSE DOWN. The prop is pushing it DOWN ,club Instructor tried to fly it ,allit wants to do is bury it's nose in the ground . any thoughts ?Anybody.
Thank you
Sayers1 ( Jerry )
Sayers1 is offline Find More Posts by Sayers1
Old Sep 28, 2011, 08:16 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyfatboy View Post
Look up E-logger and the newest V4 should be there. It may show $70 or so but if you're a platinum member, you can get it with the integrated connectors for $47. That's almost 20% less than buying from TowerHobbies or from ET directly.
Look, the ET E-logger is a fascinating system & would luv to have one, but between it & all the goodies you gotta chase down & buy & what the end cost would be, it's just best for me to declare I can't afford it and save myself a lotta chasing around & trying to figure "how to work things out". On top of all that, it's set up for Deans connections & doesn't look like there's much room for adaptability, & I'm all XT60....and end it there. Maybe some day, but that'll be in the future, if at all.
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 28, 2011, 08:27 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elequin View Post
Ah ok, thanks. That makes sense. I guess the servos were installed reversed, at least for my RX...(?) Ah well, it works now.
Yeah, it's kinda weird the 'uncommonality' of these things. I ordered 2 identical HK6HD receivers when they became available (matches the one that came with the Bix) and had to reverse 2 of the 4 servos on the Tx from the way the 1st one works. Oddly, 1 of the 2 is one that was in reversal from Normal on the 1st one.

My surmisal is that this condition is just something that's so endemic to the sport that that's the reason reversal switches are provided on every transmitter* in the first place.

*(Not countin' the ones you get from CrackerJack boxes)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by StarHopper44; Sep 29, 2011 at 09:54 AM.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 08:54 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by protocol View Post
fwiw, Hobbypartz.com carries it as well, but OOS, and priced a little more than HK. I might pick one up if they get it in, or in my next HK order:

http://www.hobbypartz.com/88e-aevr10...-analyzer.html
Proto, check here:
http://www.nitrorcx.com/88e-aevr100-...-analyzer.html
They're the only ones that don't show OOS that I've found, but whether they have them now you'll need to check. I'd just turn you on to my guy, but I got the last one he had, & nitrorcx is only $.95 higher anyway.

What I was wanting to find out was, the blurb for these says:
"Accurate to .01v and displays all voltage in a single page. Also displays
the Min. & Max. voltage as well as health status of the battery and also
has a Battery Voltage Discharge Curve Logger, its function is to record
your battery discharge voltage and display as a curve graph.

It can record the lowest voltage during the flight and also has Interface
for Battery type selection, Discharge curve base line value setting and
voltage measurement trimming interface, which allows to adjust the
voltage drift."

I was (am) curious as to how the discharge log displays - is it 'jaggy' reflecting eg throttle input, or merely a smooth curve between high & low voltage points over time? I'm hoping for the former but, the latter would be useful too.....just not as. Anybody?
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 28, 2011, 09:10 PM
Joined Jan 2007
2,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Look, the ET E-logger is a fascinating system & would luv to have one, but between it & all the goodies you gotta chase down & buy & what the end cost would be, it's just best for me to declare I can't afford it and save myself a lotta chasing around & trying to figure "how to work things out". On top of all that, it's set up for Deans connections & doesn't look like there's much room for adaptability, & I'm all XT60....and end it there. Maybe some day, but that'll be in the future, if at all.
If you want XT60, the one with bare leads is $49.99 and you can solder on the XT60 yourself. I have an extra temp sensor if you want one to get you started! Then you can log one temperature, flight pack voltage, current, watts, current used, and have fun with just that to begin with and can expand in the future if you would like.
It's a nice system that can grow with you and in many ways, is better than your typical watt meter.
Don't feel obligated to buy it though!
healthyfatboy is offline Find More Posts by healthyfatboy
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 28, 2011, 09:13 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elequin View Post
Ok, so I decided I needed to remove the top of the nacelle and take some photos. Um, isn't the SS usually an inrunner motor? This is an outrunner!

You can also see the metal screws along the top of the fuse.
Gawsh Elequin - you just opened up a whole new world! *LOL* AFA innie vs outie, the dead stock SS/Bix has a brushed inrunner-type motor; the brushless outrunner is the first 'step-up' option.

Motor mount itself looks way different than what's been previously shown - far fewer plies. Apparently different motor also? What does your papers say the motor is -- sometimes it's printed on the box.

This nacelle is remarkably different in subtle ways too. First, how you opened it. Did you cut it off or is (as it appears) it made that way? Very convenient for motor swaps, I'd say! And everybody remember the prior discussion about designed-in torque offset for the motor mounting - via the 'lands' for the mounts? Totally absent here. And that 'column' inside - looks like it mates into the squarish socket in the lower half....that's something new, isn't it?

Gotta say, I like this setup much more than the one on my Bix. All these differences (wings, servo covers et al) almost makes ya wonder who's producing this Beta....sure doesn't look like it comes from JPower!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 28, 2011, 09:22 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyfatboy View Post
If you want XT60, the one with bare leads is $49.99 and you can solder on the XT60 yourself. I have an extra temp sensor if you want one to get you started! Then you can log one temperature, flight pack voltage, current, watts, current used, and have fun with just that to begin with and can expand in the future if you would like.
It's a nice system that can grow with you and in many ways, is better than your typical watt meter.
Don't feel obligated to buy it though!

Check ur PM's....in about 10 minutes.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 28, 2011, 09:23 PM
Joined Jan 2007
2,052 Posts
9 minutes and counting...
healthyfatboy is offline Find More Posts by healthyfatboy
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 28, 2011, 10:55 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
AJ
P>S. For those of you who know what the pictures below are, you know what a challenge it is to type.
Well, I see you really showed 'em the kinda stuff yer made of!
Showoff!

Now, behave yourself like they told you to....or yer knot's gonna come untied, & next thing ya know your panties will be all in a wad.
And Gene hogged all the painkillerz.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 28, 2011, 11:07 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketscience View Post
I'm not sure, but I'm not too worried about weight.. the LEDs themselves are very light. Maybe total 30 grams if that much. I used telephone wire to connect them, a few grams. And I carved out foam and tried to make the lights flush. If it can carry my gopro, the lights will be easy.

OH and I finally ripped out the ridiculous weight in the nose, so I saved more than I added on this mod for sure. All the lights and wires don't weigh as much as that cylinder.
I have one of SS with lights -- 240 of them.
Skysurfer Night lights -- final setup (1 min 44 sec)
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2011, 12:31 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
If it a'int on video......

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Well, I see you really showed 'em the kinda stuff yer made of!
Showoff!

Now, behave yourself like they told you to....or yer knot's gonna come untied, & next thing ya know your panties will be all in a wad.
And Gene hogged all the painkillerz.
Now, that IS FUNNY!!! I needed a good laugh to help with the healing.
AJ
P.S. The pics are for the guy that doubted my honesty. Because you are a newcomer, I won't embarrass you by posting your name. An apology in a PM would be appropriate just now.
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Sep 29, 2011, 12:45 AM
Serge
Россия, Калужская область, город Калуга
Joined Jun 2011
674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozair View Post
can you give us some details of your setup using magnets.
It is strong enough to hold the wings on a speedy roll and good enough not rip them when you hit something with the wing. The way (or the places rather) I fly I would rip the screws (make a note they are metal!) and those things that hold the wings (ears?!) within a week. Let me put it this way I even had to reinforce the wings of the Kinetic 800 with the 3mm rod to make sure they do not break. I fly down town a lot and there are lots of obstructions.
The motor looks exactly the same as on the Bixler to me. That wooden ring (motor mount) is it dipped in the fuse or just glued? Looks a bit week to me but easy to fix. The removable top is a very good idea but it looks like it is supposed to be glued too. It is easy to arrange on the ordinary one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
You took the simple option by reversing then with the TX.
And the only logical fo that matter. The funny thing is that if you stick the receiver to a different model you’ll see that it can be totally different way. That is where model memory in the TX helps the most.

VS2 (4 min 3 sec)
ua3xds is offline Find More Posts by ua3xds
Last edited by ua3xds; Sep 29, 2011 at 02:15 AM. Reason: No time to correct spelling mistakes.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 01:47 AM
United Kingdom, England, London
Joined Feb 2009
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozair View Post
Welcome to the thread Bhavik.

This motor is quite powerful and you cannot mount it with minor mods. For a newbie do not even attempt it. Go for something thats easier to mount such as
http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...6&productname=
This will mount directly onto the plywood spacers provided with the Bixler kit and it is half the weight of the Turnigy motor, HTH.
hi Ozair.

Thanks for the reply. The link does not seem to open. Is it the same as the one mentioned on the first page?

Bhavik
bhavikshah is offline Find More Posts by bhavikshah
Last edited by bhavikshah; Sep 29, 2011 at 01:49 AM. Reason: more info
Old Sep 29, 2011, 02:13 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavikshah View Post
hi Ozair.

Thanks for the reply. The link does not seem to open. Is it the same as the one mentioned on the first page?

Bhavik
It does work. It is just SLOOOOOOOOOWWW. It takes about 7-9minutes to load.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker