HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 27, 2011, 01:20 PM
Joined Jan 2007
2,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
No, just one at a time. Some high density EPP foam and hot glue gun and voila, I have a very geeky hat.
Looks great! It should work out quite well.
healthyfatboy is offline Find More Posts by healthyfatboy
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2011, 01:22 PM
Space is the answer
Australia, VIC, Warneet
Joined Mar 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elequin View Post
Thanks for the welcome, guys. Here are some quick photos of the Czech version. The wings are held with two screws and a carbon spar. Unfortunately the screws are phillips head, so I need to try to find some hex replacements.
Thanks for the photos elequin, is this how the Czech version comes or are they mods you performed? Is it available as a kit or just ARF and RTF?
ozair is offline Find More Posts by ozair
Old Sep 27, 2011, 01:33 PM
The desert collection
Yuma AZ/Puyallup WA
Joined Jun 2006
764 Posts
Help

I know we have a bunch of very experienced guys on this thread, so I'm going to ask this question here:

This morning I flew my Great Planes Syncro (A close resemblence to a Sky Surfer but with EDF power). This was the second flight for it. I maidened it on Saturday logged 7 minutes, but was rained out for the next two days. This morning the launch was normal, got to altitude and pulled the power back to about 1/3 power. Flew for approximately 7 minutes and then all of a sudden black smoke and complete electrical failure. The plane was balanced pretty well so it glided quite a ways until it hit a tall cotton wood tree. Not much damage except it tore the wing off and broke a servo horn on one of the ailerons. The ESC which was a Hobby King 35amp was toast. This is the first time I've experienced complete and total electrical failure. Boy there isn't any more helpless feeling than watching your plane go where ever it wants too.

My question is this: Can you have too big of an ESC? The Great Planes manual says it will run off a 25amp ESC. I have their recommended motor installed and I used my watt meter to measure 13.3 amps WOT well within the capability of a 35amp unit. Why did it burn up and not at WOT but almost at idle? I'm stumped. This is the third Hobby King ESC to burn up this summer. The first two died during the bench check when I applied power. I thought they were just flukes. (different planes each time and different purchases from Hobby King, however two were the same 35amp.) I'm wondering if its me or bum quality control from the ESC manufacturer? I've never had a Castle or a HeadsUp Rc ESC go bad on me. Some of them are over 6 years old now with tons of flights on them.

Thoughts anyone?

Jack
jpgcag is offline Find More Posts by jpgcag
Old Sep 27, 2011, 01:46 PM
Joined Jan 2007
2,024 Posts
Sounds like a bad ESC more than anything else, especially if you ran it within specs. Could possibly a BEC overload issue but you would have to be running your servos like mad for it to kill the BEC, which would in turn kill your ESC.
healthyfatboy is offline Find More Posts by healthyfatboy
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 27, 2011, 01:51 PM
Germany, BY, Nuremberg
Joined Sep 2011
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozair View Post
Thanks for the photos elequin, is this how the Czech version comes or are they mods you performed? Is it available as a kit or just ARF and RTF?
This is how it came from the hobby store. They had RTF and ARF available, but no kit.
elequin is offline Find More Posts by elequin
Old Sep 27, 2011, 02:06 PM
Space is the answer
Australia, VIC, Warneet
Joined Mar 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
This is how it came from the hobby store. They had RTF and ARF available, but no kit.
There appears to be some major differences between this version and the V1 & V2 of the SS. From the photos you supplied I noticed the following:

1/ Different wing mounting method
2/ Underside of wings have streamlined protrusions in front of the servos to assist with airflow
3/ New nacelle for motor mount
4/ Paint instead of decals

There may also be other differences, but all seem to be improvements IMO.
Maybe this is the much talked about V3.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 02:11 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,310 Posts
Quote:
There may also be other differences, but all seem to be improvements IMO..
The Czech's build great airplanes!
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Sep 27, 2011, 02:12 PM
Germany, BY, Nuremberg
Joined Sep 2011
19 Posts
Quote:
There appears to be some major differences between this version and the V1 & V2 of the SS. From the photos you supplied I noticed the following:

2/ Underside of wings have streamlined protrusions in front of the servos to assist with airflow

It's actually decals, and pretty poorly applied, unfortunately. The decals on top of the wings were put right over the ailerons, and I had to cut them to free the ailerons. But yes, definitely a new wing mounting method, and some okay servo protectors. I think the control rod sleeves are new, too.

I also didn't see any weights in the nose.
elequin is offline Find More Posts by elequin
Old Sep 27, 2011, 02:14 PM
Space is the answer
Australia, VIC, Warneet
Joined Mar 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
The Czech's build great airplanes!
Yes thats for sure erkqy, but I wonder if its Czech built or built by J-Power, maybe elequin can answer this for us.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 02:17 PM
Space is the answer
Australia, VIC, Warneet
Joined Mar 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
It's actually decals, and pretty poorly applied, unfortunately. The decals on top of the wings were put right over the ailerons, and I had to cut them to free the ailerons. But yes, definitely a new wing mounting method, and some okay servo protectors. I think the control rod sleeves are new, too.

I also didn't see any weights in the nose.
Thanks elequin, hard to tell from photos but I thought it was paint, and given you say poorly applied it must be from J-Power, yes?
No the control rod sleeves are standard on V1 and V2
Old Sep 27, 2011, 02:50 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,096 Posts
Quote:

My thought exactly, & was gonna say "Gents, I think we have seen the real V3", but was reading all other posts first.
I had even thought of re-finding that 'awards' tape & get the name of that guy who Pete said won a V3, seeing if I could find him in one of the RC fora & try contacting him to see what he had to say. No reply yet from BH........so what else is new?
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 27, 2011, 03:12 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyfatboy View Post
Sounds like a bad ESC more than anything else, especially if you ran it within specs. Could possibly a BEC overload issue but you would have to be running your servos like mad for it to kill the BEC, which would in turn kill your ESC.
+1. Nice analysis.
But, jpgcag- one question-what battery were you using (name, model#, specs)?
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Sep 27, 2011, 03:16 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,096 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the welcome, guys. Here are some quick photos of the Czech version. The wings are held with two screws and a carbon spar. Unfortunately the screws are phillips head, so I need to try to find some hex replacements.
Spotted something else I didn't recognize, in that first photo. Looks like something to do with the wing, securing? Also that lead peeking out from rear cockpit bulkhead - like a servo plug, beside the bullet connector. Looks like maybe the servo lead-in system from the wings is remarkably different too? Here's screen cap of the 'stuff' I'm talking about:
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 27, 2011, 03:52 PM
Worcestershire, England
Joined Nov 2007
481 Posts
Hi folks,
Having looked on here for members mods i've noticed my bixler looks different to some of the others. V1 and V2 maybe
Mine has the control rods for the rudder and elevator routed outside the fus yet i've seen others with it routed inside. What version have i got and what version is considered better ??
Jam1e is offline Find More Posts by Jam1e
Old Sep 27, 2011, 04:04 PM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam1e View Post
Hi folks,
Having looked on here for members mods i've noticed my bixler looks different to some of the others. V1 and V2 maybe
Mine has the control rods for the rudder and elevator routed outside the fus yet i've seen others with it routed inside. What version have i got and what version is considered better ??
Yours is a V1 which is considered better for FPV uses since there is more room in the inside of the cabin. I am not into FPV (yet) so I prefer the V2 SS for the cleaner look and clear canopy with pilot. It depends on your wants, needs, etc which is better. The Bixler is available in only V1 as far as I know now.
jrjr is offline Find More Posts by jrjr