SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 26, 2011, 03:00 PM
Joined Jul 2011
1 Posts
Cut the wings down mod?

Has anyone cut the wings down on their SkyS? I'm thinking about removing the last 6" or so from each wing tip. Cutting it straight to the outside edge of the aileron.

I figure this will cut down on the stability, but I'm hoping it will allow the plane to roll better. Thoughts?
snookfin is offline Find More Posts by snookfin
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2011, 03:05 PM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,095 Posts
I have just looked at my original Bixler motor. There is or was no cir clip on it, but I noticed that there was the groove for one.
Flypoppa is online now Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 26, 2011, 03:24 PM
Germany, BY, Nuremberg
Joined Sep 2011
19 Posts
Beta 1400 (Czech)

Hi all!

I've been reading as much of this thread as I can. I'm a newbie. I started with a Champ RTF, and figured the Sky Surfer would be a good aileron trainer.

I picked up a Beta 1400 (Czech copy of the Sky Surfer) - ARF since I already purchased a Spektrum DX6i with receiver. The build quality looks excellent compared to most Sky Surfer models (from what I've read). It's a v2 with the clear canopy and servos inside the fuse, but the control wires to the rudder and elevon are sheathed in plastic guide tubes. The clear plastic canopy is not already glued on, which might make this nice for flight video or FPV. The control horns also do not seem to be weak - I flexed them as much as I dared, and they did not break.

Anyway, I foremost wanted to thank you all for the great info on this plane - you're who made me want to buy it! AJBaker, you've got a great thread going on here, and I registered just to express my enthusiasm!

If anyone wants pics of the Beta, just let me know. I'm currently building it, but cautiously, as I don't want to mess up the first plane I've actually had to put together. So far everything has fit together great - no weak cleavis thingys, they included metal binders for the control arms. Only problem so far is that the decals overlapped the ailerons, making it so they cannot move - simply fix with a scalpel.

Eric
elequin is offline Find More Posts by elequin
Old Sep 26, 2011, 03:30 PM
Space is the answer
Australia, VIC, Warneet
Joined Mar 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elequin View Post
Hi all!

I've been reading as much of this thread as I can. I'm a newbie. I started with a Champ RTF, and figured the Sky Surfer would be a good aileron trainer.

I picked up a Beta 1400 (Czech copy of the Sky Surfer) - ARF since I already purchased a Spektrum DX6i with receiver. The build quality looks excellent compared to most Sky Surfer models (from what I've read). It's a v2 with the clear canopy and servos inside the fuse, but the control wires to the rudder and elevon are sheathed in plastic guide tubes. The clear plastic canopy is not already glued on, which might make this nice for flight video or FPV. The control horns also do not seem to be weak - I flexed them as much as I dared, and they did not break.

Anyway, I foremost wanted to thank you all for the great info on this plane - you're who made me want to buy it! AJBaker, you've got a great thread going on here, and I registered just to express my enthusiasm!

If anyone wants pics of the Beta, just let me know. I'm currently building it, but cautiously, as I don't want to mess up the first plane I've actually had to put together. So far everything has fit together great - no weak cleavis thingys, they included metal binders for the control arms. Only problem so far is that the decals overlapped the ailerons, making it so they cannot move - simply fix with a scalpel.

Eric
Welcome to the thread Eric.
I would be very interested in photo's of your build and what is supplied with the ARF Czech version so please post.
ozair is offline Find More Posts by ozair
Old Sep 26, 2011, 03:34 PM
Space is the answer
Australia, VIC, Warneet
Joined Mar 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
I have just looked at my original Bixler motor. There is or was no cir clip on it, but I noticed that there was the groove for one.
FP it looks like they sold you a dud motor, my stock BL does have a cir clip
Old Sep 26, 2011, 03:40 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
...P.P.S. The Bixler motor has not got a cir clip.
Yeah....I was gonna mention one of the recommended replacement/upgrade motors for the Bf-109, a Turnigy IIRC, has to be reversed, and just tapping it thru is the call. The guy who mentioned it said he's done 2 or 3, but he still gets nervous when the hammer's in hand. It's like, a $53 motor. I'd get nervous too! What is it they call those Jewish guys that split diamonds? That picture keeps popping in my mind. *LOL*
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by StarHopper44; Sep 26, 2011 at 03:52 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 03:43 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozair View Post
Welcome to the thread Eric.
I would be very interested in photo's of your build and what is supplied with the ARF Czech version so please post.
Yes indeed....a photo-diary of the build would make an interesting addition to our archives.
Also welcome.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 26, 2011, 04:00 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Go to the post you wanna cite....look in topmost right corner & see the post number like your #6258 -- it's a link.
Right-click it & take 'Copy Shortcut'. Come back to the post you're creating, right-click inside the body & take 'Paste'.

That what you talkin' about, Willis?
Did that but saw the entire url http:// stuff appear in the body of my text so I deleted it. Guess I should have submitted and expect to see just the post #. Like this I hope http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=6258

Thanx SH,

Ted

edit - that didn't work. Seems I don't get a "copy short cut" option. I'm using Firefox 4.0, wonder ifin' that be's the problem?
G550Ted is offline Find More Posts by G550Ted
Old Sep 26, 2011, 06:36 PM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G550Ted View Post

edit - that didn't work. Seems I don't get a "copy short cut" option. I'm using Firefox 4.0, wonder ifin' that be's the problem?
I'm currently using the 7 beta (from the beta update channel).... time to update yours for sure! Its easy to do... if you need help holler.

You can click the post number, copy the url from the address bar, then click the "insert Link" icon at the top of the new post window and paste the url there. It will allow you to insert just a single word after its pasted so the link can say anything you want. Once you do it you will see.... sounds harder than it is.
jrjr is offline Find More Posts by jrjr
Old Sep 26, 2011, 06:38 PM
Space is the answer
Australia, VIC, Warneet
Joined Mar 2011
368 Posts
I just returned from the field today and would like to have something resolved.

With the plane perfectly trimmed on elevator, rudder and ailerons after launch, the application of power results in constant climb, once power is backed off to fly at the desired altitude it does not fly straight but keeps porpoising. What's the problem?
Old Sep 26, 2011, 07:13 PM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,516 Posts
Quote:

With the plane perfectly trimmed on elevator, rudder and ailerons after launch, the application of power results in constant climb, once power is backed off to fly at the desired altitude it does not fly straight but keeps porpoising. What's the problem?
Depends on what you mean by perfectly trimmed. With no wind, elevator inline with H stab. it should not do that if incidence's are correct. Sounds like it is climbing, stalling, nose drops, climbing, stalling, nose drops etc. Try less up elevator on your trim. Check wing and stab for warps. Check balance.
jrjr is offline Find More Posts by jrjr
Old Sep 26, 2011, 07:27 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:

You may be tail heavy.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Sep 26, 2011, 07:40 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,408 Posts
Quote:

Sounds tail-heavy to me. Check your elevator linkage too, end to end....servo arm slipped?
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 26, 2011, 07:48 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,408 Posts
Well, one woohoo for the day at least -- found out what's wrong with my Vado-cam!
Firmware upgrade fixed it right up! *knock knock*

Looking for some ideas (serious only, please) on how-to-film flights hands free....reason's hopefully obvious. What kinda rigs you guys rigged up??
BIG thanx in advance.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 26, 2011, 08:01 PM
USA, NY, Endicott
Joined Oct 2010
227 Posts
Quote:
Can anyone supply some advice on cutting short a motor shaft, the do's and dont's.
Whilst we are at it some advice on reversing a motor shaft would not go astray either.
Only reason I can think of for why you would want to reverse a motor shaft is if you cut it to reduce overall lenght you may want to have the factory finished end out front to fit the prop over??? Is there any other reason that would be helpful to know about???? TIA
Ron

Edit: I saw in some later posts that reversing the motor shaft will change the motor to a pusher, & another post says the Turnigy IIRC motor, has to be reversed. If the motor is BL, can't you just reverse the motor direction by reversing two leads???
There most be an advantage to reversing the shaft but not sure exactly why? Also, why do some motors make this a must if you are going to use it as a pusher?? Thanks again,
Ron
Papo_60 is offline Find More Posts by Papo_60
Last edited by Papo_60; Sep 26, 2011 at 08:56 PM.