HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 05, 2010, 02:00 AM
Addicted To Flying Foam
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
4,623 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Flaps and spoilerons were set up in the Skysurfer using a DX7 radio. Spoilerons activate off the flap switch and the flaps run off the gear switch. That's a function of using 6 channel receiver. However with programming and mixing I disabled flaperons (ailerons going down) I mapped the flaps (i.e., spoilerons) to the gear switch (flaps) and set it up so I have two position spoilerons and two position flaps operating off the flap switch. The full flaps are deployed with the gear switch. Confused? No problem, you should try to program it.

To summarize, the plane is setup with two position spoilerons and and two position of flaps off the flap switch. Full laps operated independently with the gear switch.
So can you still operate the ailerons when they are in spoileron mode?
kman24 is online now Find More Posts by kman24
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2010, 07:49 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman24 View Post
So can you still operate the ailerons when they are in spoileron mode?
Yes, you can still operate the ailerons but on full up spoilerons the mechanical limit of the linkages becomes a concern so it is important to avoid binding the servos.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 05, 2010, 12:00 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
Joined Jan 2010
4,623 Posts
OpenShot Update

Dowloaded OpenShot for Ubuntu last night to give it a whirl and confirmed that you CAN do multiple video streams stitched together. If you upgrade to the latest version of Ubuntu (10.0.4 LTS) you can download OpenShot from the built-in Software Download Tool. It is a pretty nice editing tool and very intuitive. The only problem I ran into was when I upgraded my Ubuntu from the older 8.0.4 LTS version. When the upgrade was completed (2 hours later) and it restarted, it would not start up again due to a corrupted MBR. I had to use my Windows XP Disc in Recovery mode to rebuild the MBR. Computers are so frustrating sometimes .

KMan
Old Sep 05, 2010, 02:30 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Flap and spoileron maiden video

This morning I thought I would get out before the 20 mph winds came.

So, I flew the Skysurfer with flap and spoileron programming. With modifications to wing control surfaces it required quite a bit of trimming to get it flying right again. I edited out all those scenes. The hat cam is still a work in process so a lot of video was deleted as well where the plane wasn't in the frame. That said, the maiden proves the full flaps are most beneficial to land in the tree lined backyard. However, the flaps and spoilerons will be explored but in a more open area so I am not dealing with dodging trees and farm buildings.

By the way, I processed this in Google Picasa 3 movie creator which allows adding pictures and title slides.

Skysurfer flap and spoileron maiden (5 min 25 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Sep 05, 2010 at 02:39 PM.
Old Sep 05, 2010, 06:27 PM
flyvertigo
Orlando FL
Joined Aug 2009
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
This morning I thought I would get out before the 20 mph winds came.

So, I flew the Skysurfer with flap and spoileron programming. With modifications to wing control surfaces it required quite a bit of trimming to get it flying right again. I edited out all those scenes. The hat cam is still a work in process so a lot of video was deleted as well where the plane wasn't in the frame. That said, the maiden proves the full flaps are most beneficial to land in the tree lined backyard. However, the flaps and spoilerons will be explored but in a more open area so I am not dealing with dodging trees and farm buildings.

By the way, I processed this in Google Picasa 3 movie creator which allows adding pictures and title slides.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10r02okl1II
It defiantly looks like the way to go when landing in a tight area.
I fly at one field where the flaps will make the difference.
The plane looked quite stable on the approach.
Were there any handling characteristic changes to be aware of?

Jim
flyvertigo is offline Find More Posts by flyvertigo
Old Sep 05, 2010, 06:36 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyvertigo View Post
It defiantly looks like the way to go when landing in a tight area.
I fly at one field where the flaps will make the difference.
The plane looked quite stable on the approach.
Were there any handling characteristic changes to be aware of?

Jim
Jim,

It was stable with full flaps and you still have full range of aileron movement. I flew this PM in 20 mph winds at our flying club. It was a hoot landing with full flaps although it won't make the gusty winds go away.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 05, 2010, 09:21 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Here is flight on a windy day that I talked about in the previous post. In the first launch attempt I forgot to hook up the ailerons. Wow, the little rudder doesn't do much in a 20 mph wind. In the video I DID connect the ailerons. It flies much better.

Windy day Skysurfer Landing full flaps (1 min 42 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Sep 06, 2010 at 09:44 PM.
Old Sep 06, 2010, 02:08 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
what a nice slow landing well done
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Sep 06, 2010, 02:59 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
what a nice slow landing well done
Thanks, it helped that when I landed it was a steady wind.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 06, 2010, 09:01 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
Joined Jan 2010
4,623 Posts
Very impressive with the flaps on landing! Although, it looked more like you were parking the plane than landing it

KMan
Old Sep 06, 2010, 10:04 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman24 View Post
Very impressive with the flaps on landing! Although, it looked more like you were parking the plane than landing it

KMan
KMan,

The wind helped with "parking" the plane.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 06, 2010, 10:07 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Skysurfer -- just landing with flaps and spoilerons video

I had some time late in the day to practice landing with flaps and spoilerons. You can really bring it down fast and still maintain control.

I was bringing it down very close to my pole barn, but the control was always there. It's a hoot to fly this way.

Enjoy the video, I trimmed or deleted all scenes except takeoffs, approaches and landings. Enjoy.

No flaps, it floats forever.

Flaps fully deployed, it is very controllable and can land in a tight spot.

Flaps and position 1 on spoilerons, just a hoot landing in a very short area. You have to power up so it doesn't sit down too soon.

Flaps and Position 2 on spoilerons takes away too much aileron control. They really aren't needed.

Skysurfer -- just landings with flaps and spoilerons (2 min 59 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Sep 07, 2010 at 12:33 AM.
Old Sep 07, 2010, 12:29 AM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,509 Posts
What's the saying about hitting the broadside of a barn? I'm going to have to get my rear in gear and build my Sky Surfer that's still in the box and add flaps. How can this 'cheap' plane get any better? Your vids have me sold!
road_rascal is offline Find More Posts by road_rascal
Old Sep 07, 2010, 12:35 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by road_rascal View Post
What's the saying about hitting the broadside of a barn? I'm going to have to get my rear in gear and build my Sky Surfer that's still in the box and add flaps. How can this 'cheap' plane get any better? Your vids have me sold!
Go to my blog and all the mods are in one place.

Yes, it's really a fun plane. I just ordered night light strips from HK so this will become a night flyer as well.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2010, 12:32 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Here is the associated hat cam video from the previous video to provide a different perspective. NOTE: the date on the first slide of the video has a typo. It should be Sept. 6 not 5.

Bill

Hatcam backyard landing Skysurfer with flaps (5 min 39 sec)
RCG Plus Member