HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 13, 2011, 04:37 AM
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Oct 2010
247 Posts
GOPRO on my bixler / sky Surfer

Hobbyking bixler EPO ARF gopro 2nd pass look for missing EDF,, JET Glider & CESSNA400?? (9 min 41 sec)

Stock motor with 1800mah 3s 25c battery
Westwood is offline Find More Posts by Westwood
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2011, 04:53 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
Wow. That's almost a compliment.
You feeling alright?
Well, I have been a little light-headed since I inhaled that gnat.
(But the light-show wuz awsumm!!)
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 13, 2011, 05:37 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Aug 2011
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Now that's something to consider. I'll work up an outline and see how it looks (could take some time), & figure how to best organize it and maybe put something up. Main concern for me is, will people read it? I'm not wanting to invest a lot of time & effort to be only singin' to the choir, or preachin' in the desert.....kno'm sayin'?
My Bix is almost unflyable after about 3 weeks effort of trying from scratch on my own to learn controlled flight. Apart from destroying the foam the rest is OK so have ordered another fuselage to put all the stuff into.

So I for one will definitely be reading. Due to circumstances I can not hook up with a club or trainer I may be able to find some experienced pilots soon I hope.
guroos is offline Find More Posts by guroos
Old Sep 13, 2011, 06:19 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guroos View Post
My Bix is almost unflyable after about 3 weeks effort of trying from scratch on my own to learn controlled flight. Apart from destroying the foam the rest is OK so have ordered another fuselage to put all the stuff into.

So I for one will definitely be reading. Due to circumstances I can not hook up with a club or trainer I may be able to find some experienced pilots soon I hope.
If there's ever been a candidate for one of the RC Sim trainer programs I'd say it'd be you - in that situation. I've actually got one, and the 'dummy' RC control box....only my ol' puter won't run the graphics.

I'd also be really surprised a city the size of Sydney wouldn't have at least one RC flying club. Perhaps a bit of Google work could produce something....or even a bit of searching in here. I've noticed a bunch of Oz pilots post here....and there's a few other fora besides RCGroups, also. Too, any local hobby shops? If so, ask there.
Good Luck!
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 13, 2011, 07:14 AM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Jun 2009
85 Posts
Wing loading

I have a lot of gear I'd like to put on my Sky Surfer (GoPro, OSD, batteries, etc.)but on the last flight it was struggling even at full power.

What's the maximum weight that the plane (with gear) should be (given wing loading, etc.)?

The motor is a HXT 2835 (380S) 2200kv Brushless Inrunner
greennomad is offline Find More Posts by greennomad
Old Sep 13, 2011, 07:54 AM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greennomad View Post
I have a lot of gear I'd like to put on my Sky Surfer (GoPro, OSD, batteries, etc.)but on the last flight it was struggling even at full power.

What's the maximum weight that the plane (with gear) should be (given wing loading, etc.)?

Don't think anyone has ever established a maximum gross weight but it sounds like you are close to it. What does your's weigh? What are you experiencing when you say struggling? Too high a stall speed? Tip stalls? Launching issues? Reduced angle of attack?
jrjr is online now Find More Posts by jrjr
Old Sep 13, 2011, 08:31 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greennomad View Post

It would be interesting to know the AUW.
With a 2200kv that should be enough. My ES* with FPV AUW of 32.1oz is powered with a 1400kv motor.
But it is fairly 'clean' with very little draggy bits protruding in to the airflow.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Flypoppa; Sep 13, 2011 at 09:46 AM.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 08:56 AM
Joined Feb 2007
2,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Now that's something to consider. I'll work up an outline and see how it looks (could take some time), & figure how to best organize it and maybe put something up. Main concern for me is, will people read it? I'm not wanting to invest a lot of time & effort to be only singin' to the choir, or preachin' in the desert.....kno'm sayin'?
You may not get tons of people on this thread reading but considering you have a Super Cub, Messewhatever (don't know how to spell), and you'll more than likely end up with others, you'll be on other threads and you'll invariably get newbies that need some tips. If you just put it in your blog instead of in this thread, you can always update that easily, without losing track of where it is, and then say it's on your blog where it can easily be found.
Even if it's really simple like:
CCW oval circuits for one battery
CW oval circuits for one battery
Figure 8's
Take-off's and landings

It doesn't have to be too terribly detailed but it would be a start and you can update as you like.
healthyfatboy is offline Find More Posts by healthyfatboy
Old Sep 13, 2011, 09:11 AM
SARG5
10 Miles north of Russell, Ks. on US281 hy
Joined Oct 2009
655 Posts
6TH FLIGHT and still having problems with trim.
With everything at center on the PLANE Service, and Center on the TX. It wants to roll to the right. I crank in full LEFT trim on TX, to bring it back to stright and level.
I am thinking. See, I changed out the motor for a Outrunner.
Looks to me that the moter is setting with too much NOSE TO REAR. Left thrust, which would I ASSUME cause the right wing to go down, this is why when I crank in full left trim, it will then pick up the right wing.
Going to work towards correcting this today.
What say you.
SARG5
SARG5 is offline Find More Posts by SARG5
Old Sep 13, 2011, 09:22 AM
Gravity impaired
Joined Nov 2004
1,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
With a 2200kv that should be enough.
The Kv rating is not enough information to determine that. For instance one motor @ 2200Kv could be rated for 220 watts while another with the same Kv rating could be 342 watts. As I have learned there is more to it than just Kv.
Last edited by jrjr; Sep 13, 2011 at 09:28 AM.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 09:30 AM
SARG5
10 Miles north of Russell, Ks. on US281 hy
Joined Oct 2009
655 Posts
ooppss. AGAIN
SARG5
Put a stright edge on the motor shaft. Center line is RIGHT ON WITH THE CENTER OF THE RUDDER.
So that is not the problem. Or is it?????????? Should there be some off set of the motor [right or lest]???
Not having a problem with power up. When I power up, I will get A LITTLE DIP DOWN with the nose. Not much. Does not appear to be a problem with this thrust line.
NOW WHAT SAY YOU
There does appear to be A LITTLE problem with the elv. the Hoz. surface does look to be a LITTLE LOW on the right side.
Another thing that I am seeing is a slight twist of the fusg. towards the tail. I have added CARBON RIBBON to the winds, tail, and fusg. BUT NONE TO THE LAST 10 in. of the tail fusg. Which is showing a slight twist.
Found this when I WAS looking at the hoz. being low . can twist it back into line with very little effort.
NOW WHAT SAY YOU
SARG5
SARG5 is offline Find More Posts by SARG5
Old Sep 13, 2011, 09:53 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrjr View Post
The Kv rating is not enough information to determine that. For instance one motor @ 2200Kv could be rated for 220 watts while another with the same Kv rating could be 342 watts. As I have learned there is more to it than just Kv.
Too true. If one does not have the equipment to test the KV of motors then you have to believe what is quoted.
But most 2200kv motors I have seen, seem to have more than enough ooph for the models that they are mounted on.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 13, 2011, 10:55 AM
Gravity impaired
Joined Nov 2004
1,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARG5 View Post
There does appear to be A LITTLE problem with the elv. the Hoz. surface does look to be a LITTLE LOW on the right side.
Another thing that I am seeing is a slight twist of the fusg. towards the tail. I have added CARBON RIBBON to the winds, tail, and fusg. BUT NONE TO THE LAST 10 in. of the tail fusg. Which is showing a slight twist.
Think about this.... If you were to twist the tail 90 degrees along the thrust line then the rudder becomes the elevator and the elevator becomes the rudder. Anything in between will have an unwanted affect on yaw and pitch axis due to being out of the 'plane' of the wing. In essence you are making a V tail of sorts. Get it straight and true then try it. May or may not be your issue but it may be a contributor.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 11:00 AM
Gravity impaired
Joined Nov 2004
1,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
Too true. If one does not have the equipment to test the KV of motors then you have to believe what is quoted.
But most 2200kv motors I have seen, seem to have more than enough ooph for the models that they are mounted on.
Here's one that wouldn't work on a SS/Bix
Old Sep 13, 2011, 11:34 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
and if you want it REALLY strong, put a 3mm CF in the assembly, too. Glue it all together (not in the wing) with GG and I don't know of anyone that has been able to break one.
I put in a solid spar and added CF strips CA'd into slots. It's vary stiff now.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq