HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 29, 2010, 09:18 AM
Mississauga, Ontario
Joined Apr 2010
119 Posts
flying in high winds i hit one of those rc plane seeking lamp posts. Damage is actually minimal with one of the ailerons coming off. Any suggestions on what to use to repair it? Can I just use tape? Want to obviously not restrict its motion.
TorontoR is offline Find More Posts by TorontoR
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2010, 09:43 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoR View Post
flying in high winds i hit one of those rc plane seeking lamp posts. Damage is actually minimal with one of the ailerons coming off. Any suggestions on what to use to repair it? Can I just use tape? Want to obviously not restrict its motion.
I would suggest 3M Extreme Tape. If you watch the last backyard video you can see the tape on the underside of the wing to reduce flex. It is cross webbed with fiberglass. I use the tape for hinges on all by scratchbuilt planes. In fact, on the Skysurfer, the stock hinges, once exercised and flexed developed cracks in the foam so I taped them up as well.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 29, 2010, 09:47 AM
Mississauga, Ontario
Joined Apr 2010
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
I would suggest 3M Extreme Tape. If you watch the last backyard video you can see the tape on the underside of the wing to reduce flex. It is cross webbed with fiberglass. I use the tape for hinges on all by scratchbuilt planes. In fact, on the Skysurfer, the stock hinges, once exercised and flexed developed cracks in the foam so I taped them up as well.
Thank you sir, i'll leave some gap for flex and test it out later. Picked it up and taped up the plane earlier when you originally suggested it a few weeks back. Been a saviour for bellly landings on pavement!
TorontoR is offline Find More Posts by TorontoR
Old Aug 29, 2010, 11:34 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoR View Post
Thank you sir, i'll leave some gap for flex and test it out later. Picked it up and taped up the plane earlier when you originally suggested it a few weeks back. Been a saviour for bellly landings on pavement!
You don't need a gap but you do need to lay down the tape with control the surface fully extended. Follow the contour with the tape.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 29, 2010, 12:46 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Here I am trying to fly the Skysurfer in my backyard. My yard is pretty big but the 4 foot farm fence on the east and tall trees on the north, south and west make landings a challenge.

Enjoy.
Well done. Whew. That area is tight. I swear those EZ* grabbers grew 8-10' just while you were flying this time. Nice (looked like semi-panic) landings (close to the outbuilding on the fourth [?] one). Is there any chance to circle the field while landing (sort of cork-screw in for a soft landing)? Have you considered flaps or spoilers?
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Last edited by ajbaker; Aug 29, 2010 at 01:00 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 03:49 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Well done. Whew. That area is tight. I swear those EZ* grabbers grew 8-10' just while you were flying this time. Nice (looked like semi-panic) landings (close to the outbuilding on the fourth [?] one). Is there any chance to circle the field while landing (sort of cork-screw in for a soft landing)? Have you considered flaps or spoilers?
AJ

AJ,

Thanks. The backyard flight and landings are testament to why I should add flaps. By the way those were corkscrew landings. The farm fence was added about 10 years ago by my truly nice neighbors who didn't want their golden retriever wandering around. However, it is quite the obstacle when landing.

Did I say I really like this plane?

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 29, 2010, 05:39 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
SkyS vs EZ*

Quote:
AJ,

Thanks. The backyard flight and landings are testament to why I should add flaps. By the way those were corkscrew landings. The farm fence was added about 10 years ago by my truly nice neighbors who didn't want their golden retriever wandering around. However, it is quite the obstacle when landing.

Did I say I really like this plane?

Bill
Me, too. While I love my EZ*'s (2), I now love the SkyS even more. Maybe if I bought a new EZ* ARF kit, I might find out that they fly identical (IMO, of course). But, for now, I have one flying SkyS, one ARF in the box, and a 3rd almost ARF with just the foam parts. I am missing the wings. They were out of them then and still are. Ah, well. I am in no hurry. I am still not sure how I am going to configure the other ARF. I have considered making it a super-lightweight and fly with maybe an 800mah 3S1P with whatever motor seems right. I don't know. The other configuration is with spoilers and flaps (no mixing) and wheels. No firm plan, yet.
AJ
P.S. I could get in trouble saying how I feel about liking the SkyS more than the EZ*. So, don't tell them. BTW-Do you own an EZ*? I don't remember.

Golden Retriver = BIG treasures.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 05:55 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Quote:
Me, too. While I love my EZ*'s (2), I now love the SkyS even more. Maybe if I bought a new EZ* ARF kit, I might find out that they fly identical (IMO, of course). But, for now, I have one flying SkyS, one ARF in the box, and a 3rd almost ARF with just the foam parts. I am missing the wings. They were out of them then and still are. Ah, well. I am in no hurry. I am still not sure how I am going to configure the other ARF. I have considered making it a super-lightweight and fly with maybe an 800mah 3S1P with whatever motor seems right. I don't know. The other configuration is with spoilers and flaps (no mixing) and wheels. No firm plan, yet.
AJ
P.S. I could get in trouble saying how I feel about liking the SkyS more than the EZ*. So, don't tell them. BTW-Do you own an EZ*? I don't remember.

Golden Retriver = BIG treasures.
AJ,

Last first. The neighbors Golden Retriever started leaving his big treasures in my front yard to mark his territory. I politely told my very nice neighbor and rather than install an invisible fence he put in the farm fence.

No EZ star in my hangar.

I will use 5 gram servos for the flaps and install a UBEC to lessen the load on the linear BEC. I need to pick up some short single leads so I have individual aileron control and can add spoilerons.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 29, 2010, 10:03 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Couple of questions

Quote:
AJ,

Last first. The neighbors Golden Retriever started leaving his big treasures in my front yard to mark his territory. I politely told my very nice neighbor and rather than install an invisible fence he put in the farm fence.

No EZ star in my hangar.

I will use 5 gram servos for the flaps and install a UBEC to lessen the load on the linear BEC. I need to pick up some short single leads so I have individual aileron control and can add spoilerons.

Bill
What is your opinion of linear vs switched BEC's? I certainly agree with you using an external BEC for your setup.
I am having a hard time visualizing the blue part.
AJ
P.S. I have totally wonderful neighbors, too. Great folks.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 10:44 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Quote:
What is your opinion of linear vs switched BEC's? I certainly agree with you using an external BEC for your setup.
I am having a hard time visualizing the blue part.
AJ
P.S. I have totally wonderful neighbors, too. Great folks.
AJ,

I couldn't have better neighbors. What a blessing.

The blue reference. I was talking about servo extensions. Sorry, it was really hot here today and my brain had a cramp.

Linear BECS overheat. Switch mode BECs are much preferred because they step down the voltage without as much heat generation.

Go here to read all about it at Dimension Engineering.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 30, 2010, 02:43 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
AJ,

I couldn't have better neighbors. What a blessing.

The blue reference. I was talking about servo extensions. Sorry, it was really hot here today and my brain had a cramp.

Linear BECS overheat. Switch mode BECs are much preferred because they step down the voltage without as much heat generation.

Go here to read all about it at Dimension Engineering.
Great. I bookmarked it for the future, too. They also addressed the potential noise (RF) problem. Thanks for finding that and sharing. I definitely owe you one (at least).
Ah, I got it now (on the servo extensions).
AJ
Old Aug 30, 2010, 11:46 AM
flyvertigo
Orlando FL
Joined Aug 2009
456 Posts
Sky Surfer caught in tree

Got my SkyS caught in a tree Sunday. What a pain in the a**.
I'm glad I fly with a great bunch of guys.

RC SkySurfer - Crashed into a Tree Adventure (9 min 43 sec)

Jim
flyvertigo is offline Find More Posts by flyvertigo
Last edited by flyvertigo; Sep 06, 2010 at 04:51 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 01:39 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyvertigo View Post
Bud named it WildHawk by mistake.

Jim
It did not look like it caused a lot of damage. Did it? Did you fly it later that day?
AJ
Old Aug 31, 2010, 06:00 AM
flyvertigo
Orlando FL
Joined Aug 2009
456 Posts
Quote:
It did not look like it caused a lot of damage. Did it? Did you fly it later that day?
AJ
No damage at all except for some scuffed foam where the pole pushed on the
fuselage. I didn't fly it after it was retrieved from the tree but it is flyable.

Jim
flyvertigo is offline Find More Posts by flyvertigo
Old Aug 31, 2010, 07:02 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyvertigo View Post
Bud named it WildHawk by mistake.

RC SkySurfer - Crashed into tree (0 min 0 sec)

Jim
Hmmm, video shows as unavailable. That said, I am glad you got the plane of the tree.
RCG Plus Member