HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 07, 2011, 06:07 PM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by banzi28 View Post
source some hooks for the wings in the morning.
This stuff works great!

LINK

Look Here Too
jrjr is online now Find More Posts by jrjr
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2011, 06:57 PM
United States, WI, Eau Claire
Joined May 2011
1,041 Posts
Glad I checked out the electronics before I tried to power this puppy up.

The motor's bell was accidentally glued to the motor housing. Probably would've burnt out my ESC - although I planned on replacing it anyway eventually.

Time to mix up some foam soup!

Edit. Thanks for the link - I actually have some of this stuff already. I use it to fix my keychain cameras to various aircraft and it works so much better than velcro.

I'm going to go with the 3M hook and rubber band install on this one, but I will use that stuff to attach my FPV camera to the pan/tilt mount. TY for the suggestion though
banzi28 is offline Find More Posts by banzi28
Old Sep 07, 2011, 08:10 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
By the way, JrJr....that instruction on the Foam-Tac's back label that says (after spreading on both parts) to "3. Allow surface to air dry for 10-20 minutes..." is DEFINITELY a booboo! It should say 10-20 seconds, as evidenced by its actual use.

Someone asked this before; don't remember seeing an answer then but I hadn't received mine at the time, to try. ..............
That someone would likely have been me Starhopper. Thanks for the independent verification of my own experience with Foam Tac. I thought I might have gotten a stale bottle. It is good stuff, but if ya wait that 10 minutes it's not going to stick much!

Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Old Sep 07, 2011, 08:48 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrjr View Post
I never waited more than a few seconds. I apply the stuff, make contact with the 2 surfaces, pull them apart and wait maybe 5-10 seconds then put them together.

On these EPO planes I have found it works best for me if I remove the shine from the foam. There have been some instances where no glue would stick without doing that even though I cleaned with 95% Iso alcohol. Light sanding with like a 220 grit and a quick Alky wipe and its a permanent attachment every time. Breaks don't need sanding as its virgin foam with no form release on it.

Yea the foam tac is good stuff but the quick grip is just as good and can be found locally in these parts at Wally World in the craft section.
Good tip on the Quick Grip. First I've heard about it. Have you tried it on any other types of foam?

Ted
G550Ted is offline Find More Posts by G550Ted
Old Sep 07, 2011, 08:56 PM
Gravity impaired
Joined Nov 2004
1,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G550Ted View Post
Good tip on the Quick Grip. First I've heard about it. Have you tried it on any other types of foam?

Ted
I haven't no but the guys HERE use it on EPP. That's where I heard about it to begin with. I met the owner at a recent fly in and saw him use it on a bouncer.

Its like slightly thinner Foam Tac and it's also made by Beacon.
Old Sep 07, 2011, 09:04 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrjr View Post
I haven't no but the guys HERE use it on EPP. That's where I heard about it to begin with. I met the owner at a recent fly in and saw him use it on a bouncer.

Its like slightly thinner Foam Tac and it's also made by Beacon.
EPP is pretty insensitive to a range of glues and solvent paints. EPS, Fan Fold Foam, and EPO can be attacked glues that don't harm EPP whatsoever. For example, Welder Glue works great on EPP and EPO but melts FFF. Message, always test any solvent based glue before using it on a material.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2011, 09:34 PM
Joined Feb 2007
2,088 Posts
This may be a little off topic but since we fly gliders here, I figured it was worth mentioning.
I use a Futaba 9C for my planes and FPV truck and the stock battery has always not held up very well. I'll do a lost of ground testing to make sure everything is working properly and then once I get to the field, I have to cut things short because the battery is always going flat on me in the transmitter.
I know lots of people have used 3S LiPo batteries in their transmitters with a couple of diodes to drop the voltage to make sure it doesn't damage the transmitter but I found that using a LiFe battery takes care of the problem because of the slightly lower nominal voltage.
I used to use an All-e-RC LiFe battery but I found 2DogRC's 2500mAh battery to be a better fit for my transmitter. It was 400mAh larger in capacity and the version I got has the plug for Futaba and JR so if I decide to ever get another Spektrum radio for small BNF stuff, I can use the battery in either. The All-e-RC one was a pain as the proper connectors weren't on it at the time I bought it so it required a little bit of modification to work.
I only have to charge my transmitter battery once a month or so with this upgrade so it has definitely been worth it for me. It holds a nice, steady voltage at 9.9V so it's right where it needs to be on my 9C.
Sorry again for the OT post but I just thought I would pass the information along to anyone that may use a Futaba or JR/Spektrum radio as I hardly have to charge my transmitter now! Definitely worth the LiFe battery.
Yes, I'm bored. My plane is ready for it's maiden now that I have swapped out the stock RTF servos for HXT900's and it's been raining for three days now. I guess I can't complain with the 60 degree temperatures though!
healthyfatboy is offline Find More Posts by healthyfatboy
Old Sep 07, 2011, 10:02 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyfatboy View Post
This may be a little off topic but since we fly gliders here, I figured it was worth mentioning.
I use a Futaba 9C for my planes and FPV truck and the stock battery has always not held up very well. I'll do a lost of ground testing to make sure everything is working properly and then once I get to the field, I have to cut things short because the battery is always going flat on me in the transmitter.
I know lots of people have used 3S LiPo batteries in their transmitters with a couple of diodes to drop the voltage to make sure it doesn't damage the transmitter but I found that using a LiFe battery takes care of the problem because of the slightly lower nominal voltage.
I used to use an All-e-RC LiFe battery but I found 2DogRC's 2500mAh battery to be a better fit for my transmitter. It was 400mAh larger in capacity and the version I got has the plug for Futaba and JR so if I decide to ever get another Spektrum radio for small BNF stuff, I can use the battery in either. The All-e-RC one was a pain as the proper connectors weren't on it at the time I bought it so it required a little bit of modification to work.
I only have to charge my transmitter battery once a month or so with this upgrade so it has definitely been worth it for me. It holds a nice, steady voltage at 9.9V so it's right where it needs to be on my 9C.
Sorry again for the OT post but I just thought I would pass the information along to anyone that may use a Futaba or JR/Spektrum radio as I hardly have to charge my transmitter now! Definitely worth the LiFe battery.
Yes, I'm bored. My plane is ready for it's maiden now that I have swapped out the stock RTF servos for HXT900's and it's been raining for three days now. I guess I can't complain with the 60 degree temperatures though!
Sanyo Eneloop NiMH batteries are incredible. They hold the charge for months. They are the batteries of choice in my Transmitters.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2011, 10:19 PM
United States, WI, Eau Claire
Joined May 2011
1,041 Posts
So a quick question.

Since I had to open up the fuse anyway (this is going to be an FPV plane so some mods need to be made to the inside) I am going to swap out the glued motor. I've ordered a RMRC mount, and I have a couple of motors here; one is a Park 450 and one is a 480 equivalent.

Too much for this plane? It's going to have the RMRC FPV pod up front along with a 40c 2200mah 3s battery to power everything, so a little extra weight behind the wings isn't such a bad thing? Is it?
banzi28 is offline Find More Posts by banzi28
Old Sep 07, 2011, 10:50 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
4,813 Posts
banzi28

check out "Po73" FPV-SkySurfer.
His FPV setup is amazing, he flies close to an hour with 3s-4000mah..... PM him.
He gave me some really helpful advice on FPV setup....
rclab1 is offline Find More Posts by rclab1
Old Sep 08, 2011, 12:57 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by banzi28 View Post
So a quick question.

Since I had to open up the fuse anyway (this is going to be an FPV plane so some mods need to be made to the inside) I am going to swap out the glued motor. I've ordered a RMRC mount, and I have a couple of motors here; one is a Park 450 and one is a 480 equivalent.

Too much for this plane? It's going to have the RMRC FPV pod up front along with a 40c 2200mah 3s battery to power everything, so a little extra weight behind the wings isn't such a bad thing? Is it?
This plane is specifically designed for FPV (V1 mostly) and that additional weight should not be a problem. Make sure you have a lanyard attached to the motor just in case.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Sep 08, 2011, 06:37 AM
Gravity impaired
Joined Nov 2004
1,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Sanyo Eneloop NiMH batteries are incredible. They hold the charge for months. They are the batteries of choice in my Transmitters.
I use Tenergy AA cells. Always had great luck with them and they run the transmitter forever it seems like. Use them for receiver packs as well in smaller planes.
Old Sep 08, 2011, 06:47 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Which ones, Prof? The rechargeables?? I see there are multiple options available:
http://www.thomasdistributing.com/Sa...FUOo4Aodqk6nxA

On the XX low-discharge 2500mAh's, two 4-packs are $41 plus shipping (on this site - maybe you've found a better deal). That comes to around $5 per battery!

I buy these AA Alkalines from Harbor Freight (the red & black ones) - 2 dozen for $6 and everytime you turn around they're on coupon for ~$4.....and I stock up like a madman! (Got 3-1/2 packs of 'em right now; 8 are in my Tx)
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...q=aa+batteries

And I'll add, these aren't your normal cheapo AA's....build is excellent, endurance as good as any normal brand-name AA I've ever used.

Keeping in mind this Tx is only used maybe once or twice a week for < an hour total, I can buy LOTS of (translate - several MONTHS worth) of AA's for about 17 each.

My '2'....
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 08, 2011, 06:55 AM
Gravity impaired
Joined Nov 2004
1,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
I can buy LOTS of (translate - several MONTHS worth) of AA's for about 17 each.

My '2'....
And then throw them out after one use.

I have Tenergy AA nimh cells that are 5 years old and still work fine. I do cycle them over the winter occasionally but no rigid schedule... just when I think of it. However, this winter I plan to fly inside. Buy once, use for a loooong time. Can't do that with your alky's. My old matched sub c packs from car racing have turned into receiver packs on larger planes, starter power for nitro planes, etc. They just keep going and going and going.... lol
Old Sep 08, 2011, 07:33 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,650 Posts
Here is the product description for the latest version although I have the previous generation. The value of these cells is how well they retain voltage when stored. At 2000 mah, the are not the highest capacity NiMH cells, but it's a joy not to have to charge them simply because they've been sitting:
Product Description

This special price is for a bundle of four four-packs of Sanyo Eneloop AA 2000 mAh batteries. These are the new version Eneloop which are rated for 1500 charge cycles - the number on the battery is HR-3UTGA which indicates that it is the new version. SANYO's next-generation nickel metal hydride battery 'eneloop'. Batteries have a property to release the stored energy in small amounts (this phenomenon is called 'self-discharge'). This property is particularly noticeable in rechargeable batteries such as Nickel Metal Hydride Batteries etc. as compared to dry cell batteries, hence disabling rechargeable batteries from becoming batteries that 'customers can use immediately after purchase'. For this reason, rechargeable batteries couldn't be used unless charged after purchase and so lagged behind dry cells in convenience. This new product's main property is that it has introduced great improvements in self-discharge properties (residual ratio after one year of non use is 85%*4, in temperature conditions of 20 degree Celsius according to SANYO research). Through this breakthrough development, SANYO has realized a rechargeable battery that can challenge dry cell batteries in user-friendliness through features such as making possible use immediately after purchase or once charged, its ability to be used anytime.

The above is the latest version. I have the previous generation. Below is a link to Amazon with a page of options.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_792n0hsq35_e
RCG Plus Member