Old Sep 07, 2011, 07:35 AM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andybris View Post
Hi,
total newbie here, I just bought a Bixler and forgot to buy glue, can i use a hot glue gun to glue on tail, control horns etc on epp foam? as i already have one.

Sorry if it has all been asked before...
You can, yes however it weighs more than other bonding solutions. Medium CA is said to be the lightest and you could also use Foam Tac (got mine from the net) or Quick Grip from Wal Mart.

jrjr is offline Find More Posts by jrjr
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2011, 07:42 AM
Joined Jun 2011
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrjr View Post
You can, yes however it weighs more than other bonding solutions. Medium CA is said to be the lightest and you could also use Foam Tac (got mine from the net) or Quick Grip from Wal Mart.

So the answer to my post on post number 8293 would be yes its ok?
captainstack is offline Find More Posts by captainstack
Old Sep 07, 2011, 07:53 AM
Gravity impaired
Joined Nov 2004
1,582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainstack View Post
Yes you can. It is always a good idea to try and keep the weight down in a plane though. Thus the responses. For a few bucks you can pick up some medium CA and you will find this useful throughout your RC flying hobby - but do as you please..... hot glue will be ok as long as you don't over do it I think.

Watch out storing the plane in a hot car as it can loosen up hot glue.
Old Sep 07, 2011, 07:56 AM
Joined Jun 2011
61 Posts
Quote:
Yes you can. It is always a good idea to try and keep the weight down in a plane though. Thus the responses. For a few bucks you can pick up some medium CA and you will find this useful throughout your RC flying hobby - but do as you please..... hot glue will be ok as long as you don't over do it I think.

Oh cool i just picked up a couple of bottles of this
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7173

So should be all sweet?
captainstack is offline Find More Posts by captainstack
Old Sep 07, 2011, 08:05 AM
Gravity impaired
Joined Nov 2004
1,582 Posts
Quote:
Oh cool i just picked up a couple of bottles of this
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7173

So should be all sweet?
Haven't tried HK's CA. Let us know how it works out.
Old Sep 07, 2011, 08:15 AM
Joined Jun 2011
8 Posts
Quote:
i am in Brisbane Australia, so not sure if they are available....
andybris is offline Find More Posts by andybris
Old Sep 07, 2011, 08:42 AM
Gravity impaired
Joined Nov 2004
1,582 Posts
Sorry, got you 2 guys confused
Old Sep 07, 2011, 09:27 AM
Parts of it still up a tree!
Australia, VIC, Croydon Hills
Joined Jul 2011
781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyvertigo View Post
I tried every combination with a programming card including different timing.
Anybody have any more ideas?
I'm sure I could fly the plane with the jumpy idle. I'm concerned about eventual failure of the speed controller.
Has anyone used one with this condition?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob1a8...layer_embedded

Jim
Not sure if it has been mentioned but if there is a failure in one of your three motor to esc plugs or the solder has broken down the pulsing will occur. I would check these linkages for continuity.
Mark
Spaticus is online now Find More Posts by Spaticus
Old Sep 07, 2011, 11:17 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,680 Posts
Quote:
... and you could also use Foam Tac (got mine from the net) or Quick Grip from Wal Mart.
By the way, JrJr....that instruction on the Foam-Tac's back label that says (after spreading on both parts) to "3. Allow surface to air dry for 10-20 minutes..." is DEFINITELY a booboo! It should say 10-20 seconds, as evidenced by its actual use.

Someone asked this before; don't remember seeing an answer then but I hadn't received mine at the time, to try. Wind blew my Bix off the table Sunday & broke off the tip of the right horiz-stab's trailing edge. Dab o' Foam-Tac = good as new, & we were flying it <10 minutes later.

I also used it to tack my Bix's extension-tube (from spray can) rudder pushrod guide to top front edge of the horiz-stab....just a 'dot' and the tube's locked in solid, with less deformation (and mess) than the DuBro rod guide would've entailed. Good stuff! Thanks for telling us about it.
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by StarHopper44; Sep 07, 2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old Sep 07, 2011, 11:24 AM
Gravity impaired
Joined Nov 2004
1,582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
By the way, JrJr....that instruction on the Foam-Tac's back label that says (after spreading on both parts) to "3. Allow surface to air dry for 10-20 minutes..." is DEFINITELY a booboo! It should say 10-20 seconds, as evidenced by its actual use.

Someone asked this before; don't remember seeing an answer then but I hadn't received mine at the time, to try. Wind blew my Bix off the table Sunday & broke off the tip of the right horiz-stab's trailing edge. Dab o' Foam-Tac = good as new, & we were flying it <10 minutes later. Good stuff! Thanks for telling us about it.

I never waited more than a few seconds. I apply the stuff, make contact with the 2 surfaces, pull them apart and wait maybe 5-10 seconds then put them together.

On these EPO planes I have found it works best for me if I remove the shine from the foam. There have been some instances where no glue would stick without doing that even though I cleaned with 95% Iso alcohol. Light sanding with like a 220 grit and a quick Alky wipe and its a permanent attachment every time. Breaks don't need sanding as its virgin foam with no form release on it.

Yea the foam tac is good stuff but the quick grip is just as good and can be found locally in these parts at Wally World in the craft section.
Old Sep 07, 2011, 11:42 AM
flyvertigo
Orlando FL
Joined Aug 2009
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaticus View Post
Not sure if it has been mentioned but if there is a failure in one of your three motor to esc plugs or the solder has broken down the pulsing will occur. I would check these linkages for continuity.
Mark
I will check to make sure I have good electrical connections.

Thanks, jim
flyvertigo is offline Find More Posts by flyvertigo
Old Sep 07, 2011, 11:42 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,680 Posts
Quote:
The very reason I don't like using the stuff! The surprising ease with which the nose weights were loosened using 'hot & not very' water only reinforces that point for me.
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2011, 12:18 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2011
16 Posts
Why you don't use the gap filling CA glue for the sky surfer.
juanlargo is offline Find More Posts by juanlargo
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 07, 2011, 12:51 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Oh Gawrsh!!! I just blushed all over m'self!!
Let me think about it and, I'll likely PM you for further discussion. That good?
Yes. However, posting to your own blog is not any different than posting here. Also, folks can post any thoughts to your blog just like they can here. The difference is that you can delete and block any post or poster that is offensive. Pretty cool actually.
Take a look at Prof100's blog. His is very nicely organized. You can take a look at mine, too. But, the focus of my blog was to just document that I have all the planes that I say I have.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Sep 07, 2011, 05:57 PM
United States, WI, Eau Claire
Joined May 2011
1,041 Posts
Just a quick check - the Skysurfer from ReadyMadeRC is basically the same airframe as this one?

Nevermind - it is. I normally read the first post too

I bought the PNP Brushless version but want to install some different servos and my FPV gear. Will split the seam on the fuse tonight gently and source some hooks for the wings in the morning.
banzi28 is offline Find More Posts by banzi28