HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 04, 2011, 07:02 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
I managed to amass a nice li'l array of LiPo's before the VISA started smokin'....and thinking of adopting a .30-cal ammo can I have leftover from my Geocaching days to make a nice safe, well......SAFE for storage & transport.

Before I go that route, any of you guys got a neat, tricked out container for haulin' your LiPo library around in you'd like to showcase for ideas?
Ah another Geocacher. The miles I have done chasing around the UK just to find those 'Tupperware' boxes.
My Lipo storage boxes. the one on the right is what I take out with me.
The one on the left is a fireproof document box.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2011, 07:15 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,877 Posts
Don't forget that if you use Ammo boxes you need to remove the airtight rubber seal.

There are more threads, and more differing contradictory opinions than you would ever wish to read on the containment of LiPos, but one thing that seems to have been fairly well agreed over the years by folks who actually know what they are talking about is not to store them in an airtight metal container.

If they ever do go up it becomes a very nasty bomb. You cannot contain the pressures generated in a major LiPo fire with normally available containers, including fireproof safes. You have to let them vent and put up with the smoke. A vented Ammo box will contain the fire however.
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Sep 04, 2011, 08:03 AM
Space is the answer
Australia, VIC, Warneet
Joined Mar 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
True DAT!! *LOL*

And to move on-topic....I'd sure like to get another canopy assy to replace my scarred V1 so's I could use it to cut a port into to hold my Vaio 'flip' cam for some aerial videos. Replacement unit could be either V1 or V2 (presuming V2 would fit) -- anybody know if BH or anyone else EVER has the replacemnt pars available, as their web-catalog says? Wouldn't mind having an extra wing set to tinker around with, either.

SH,

You can buy spares at BH

http://www.bananahobby.com/electric-...7---parts.html
ozair is offline Find More Posts by ozair
Old Sep 04, 2011, 08:04 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,111 Posts
I think that we get paranoid about the danger of lipos. OK I know in our hobby we do at times abuse them, but with care we should not have to worry.
There are now many devices that use lipos as their power source, and the users of these do not worry about them.
As for storing in air tight boxes. I would not put a damaged or suspect one in one, and I don't think anyone with half a brain would do so.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 04, 2011, 08:39 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,877 Posts
Poppa, generally I agree and I don't want to start yet another LiPo safety slanging match. LipOs in practice are a lot safer than the panic merchants would have us believe but they are still potentially dangerous, they have caused (sometimes delayed) catastrophic fires and there are three points we need to remember.

1) The analogy with other "devices that use LiPos as their power source" overlooks that fact that those devices normally have safety circuits built into the battery pack (which is often a safer variant of Lithium technology in any case).
2) Other users do not draw massive currents at the limit of the C rating of the technology from uncased LiPos which they then launch at high speed into the air, on occasion returning at high speed from said air - except for the last inch.
3) There is enough evidence on these forums (and certainly on YouTube) that some people do not pass your last test.

My point about the post was that many folks might think intuitively that putting them in a sealed steel container is intrinsically safer - it isn't.

Enough OT discussion. Back to Bixlers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
I think that we get paranoid about the danger of lipos. OK I know in our hobby we do at times abuse them, but with care we should not have to worry.
There are now many devices that use lipos as their power source, and the users of these do not worry about them.
As for storing in air tight boxes. I would not put a damaged or suspect one in one, and I don't think anyone with half a brain would do so.
Old Sep 04, 2011, 08:53 AM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
That's what I use.
I also use ammo cans to store my lipos. One thing I have done, however, is to line them with cardboard as insulation in the unlikely event of an exposed battery lead shorting to the box.

Ted
G550Ted is offline Find More Posts by G550Ted
Old Sep 04, 2011, 08:55 AM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
Poppa, generally I agree and I don't want to start yet another LiPo safety slanging match. LipOs in practice are a lot safer than the panic merchants would have us believe but they are still potentially dangerous, they have caused (sometimes delayed) catastrophic fires and there are three points we need to remember.

1) The analogy with other "devices that use LiPos as their power source" overlooks that fact that those devices normally have safety circuits built into the battery pack (which is often a safer variant of Lithium technology in any case).
2) Other users do not draw massive currents at the limit of the C rating of the technology from uncased LiPos which they then launch at high speed into the air, on occasion returning at high speed from said air - except for the last inch.
3) There is enough evidence on these forums (and certainly on YouTube) that some people do not pass your last test.

My point about the post was that many folks might think intuitively that putting them in a sealed steel container is intrinsically safer - it isn't.

Enough OT discussion. Back to Bixlers.
I think that's a worthy tip, thanx.

Ted
G550Ted is offline Find More Posts by G550Ted
Old Sep 04, 2011, 08:58 AM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G550Ted View Post
I also use ammo cans to store my lipos. One thing I have done, however, is to line them with cardboard as insulation in the unlikely event of an exposed battery lead shorting to the box.

Ted
That's a good idea.
I seem to remember aj was using one of these.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Sep 04, 2011, 09:15 AM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
Thx Jr and Bob,
I found them on ebay before I saw your post, more expensive :-(
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
Old Sep 04, 2011, 09:19 AM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
Quote:
Don't forget that if you use Ammo boxes you need to remove the airtight rubber seal.

There are more threads, and more differing contradictory opinions than you would ever wish to read on the containment of LiPos, but one thing that seems to have been fairly well agreed over the years by folks who actually know what they are talking about is not to store them in an airtight metal container.

If they ever do go up it becomes a very nasty bomb. You cannot contain the pressures generated in a major LiPo fire with normally available containers, including fireproof safes. You have to let them vent and put up with the smoke. A vented Ammo box will contain the fire however.
Gee, didnt think of it and still have the rubber seal in there.
What about drilling small holes?
Old Sep 04, 2011, 09:24 AM
|Taranis|>|All other Tx's|
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,779 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
I love your light display. Did you use "string lights" or ??? Do you perhaps have some closeup pics that show the mounting techniques that you (or your wife) used for the leds? Also, do you have pictures of the plane about 2-3 feet away with the white lights both on and off. The neatness certainly shows a woman's attention to detail. Again, nicely done.
AJ
P.S. Did the plane present any flying differences with the leds? (i.e. Lift and drag changes).
It flew like a fat pig -- I should weight it -- but it's heavy. The lights on the wings are just mounted on top facing into the wing.. I had them on while mounting so they could be depressed into the wing, and covered with extreme tape. The blue lights were inside the fuse -- I split the fuse and installed them then closed it back up---I'd have faced them out through the foam -- but I wanted a uniform glow. The white lights are mounted facing out -- those on the fuse are recessed and covered with tape.

I'll shoot some pics of the mounting later on -- not very pretty -- this one is my beast. My family now has .. lets see --- wife's Bix, son's Bix, my training surfer, my night surfer, and my camera bix. I guess that's 5 -- with one kit waiting as a replacement.

I say it flew like a pig -- but really the wind was so high last night that it's not a fair assessment. I normally land at my feet -- but due to the wind and the many people watching including small children nearby (but not on the field) I landed about 200' feet away. -- but it did require 1/3 throttle pretty much full time -- however launches were uneventful -- so I guess not THAT heavy.

I'm hoping to get video tonight. Forecast is for very light wind.

It was definitely a crowd pleaser. -- especially when I flew over and flipped on the white lights the first time.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
Old Sep 04, 2011, 09:26 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,877 Posts
Should work. I am sure there will be several ideas on the forum on how many and what size they ought be and if it is a good or bad idea. If you want to do a search on safety/storing/LiPos there are plenty of different opinions - many unencumbered by associated evidence.

The rubber seal is dead easy to pull out with a pair of pliers though. Down side is that the latch no longer holds the lid on as securely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakelp86 View Post
Gee, didnt think of it and still have the rubber seal in there.
What about drilling small holes?
Old Sep 04, 2011, 09:56 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page View Post
It flew like a fat pig -- I should weight it -- but it's heavy. The lights on the wings are just mounted on top facing into the wing.. I had them on while mounting so they could be depressed into the wing, and covered with extreme tape. The blue lights were inside the fuse -- I split the fuse and installed them then closed it back up---I'd have faced them out through the foam -- but I wanted a uniform glow. The white lights are mounted facing out -- those on the fuse are recessed and covered with tape.

I'll shoot some pics of the mounting later on -- not very pretty -- this one is my beast. My family now has .. lets see --- wife's Bix, son's Bix, my training surfer, my night surfer, and my camera bix. I guess that's 5 -- with one kit waiting as a replacement.

I say it flew like a pig -- but really the wind was so high last night that it's not a fair assessment. I normally land at my feet -- but due to the wind and the many people watching including small children nearby (but not on the field) I landed about 200' feet away. -- but it did require 1/3 throttle pretty much full time -- however launches were uneventful -- so I guess not THAT heavy.

I'm hoping to get video tonight. Forecast is for very light wind.

It was definitely a crowd pleaser. -- especially when I flew over and flipped on the white lights the first time.
I added 240 of the HK strip LED lights. Plane turned into a porker at about 32 ounces AND it was tail heavy with 2200 3S shoved in the nose. After the equivalent of 2 quarters added to the nose all is good.
Skysurfer Night lights -- final setup (1 min 44 sec)
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 04, 2011, 10:46 AM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
Quote:
Down side is that the latch no longer holds the lid on as securely.
Well, I could leave the sections of the rubber seal inside lets say around the corners so it has some tension and would not come out.
Old Sep 04, 2011, 10:47 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page View Post
We had dual video camera failures so there are just still photos of the Night Surfer. Her Flip refused to shoot video ?? and my Flycam HD was not charged. O well.

Each wing has 180 color LED's. There are 120 Blue LED's inside, and Across the wind and down the Fuse are 120 White LED's.

These photos were taken my my lovely bride who proudly flies her Bixler whenever time allows.
Scotty - that thang is WILD! And I'll tell ya what -- if either was me in that photo of Nick's hand launch, that one would be going up on my wall, poster-sized!! Great shot there.

Got a 'failed camera' story for ya. Me & a couple van-loads of family went down to Canaveral to watch the planned final launch of the Shuttle Atlantis - & I borrowed a GOOD vidi-cam from a friend of mine....none of this keyfob kamkrap or my HD Vaio (which I hadn't yet bought at the time....which I did because of this episode). Fought & weaseled my way right down to the water's edge at SpaceView Park, & shot a ~3-minute 360* panorama of the launch pad complex & surrounds, & the mob behind me, & shut it off. While we were doing that, another in our party had gone exploring & found a place with a better view & a whole lot less crowded, so we hoofed it over there, about 1/4 mile away.

Got all set up; tripod mounted, pre-programmed flight path & clutches all adjusted good to go. At T-20seconds, cranked 'er up & hit the GO button....and its batteries were deader'n Gene's heart LiPo pack. And it had spent the night on the charger - pulled off just before we left the motel.
Talk about Paradise Lost! The beautiful Florida sky was a good bit bluer by the time I got done telling that camera what I thought of it!

Thank providence I had my cell-phone cam at least. That's all we came away with besides some great memories! Here's a still from my family's forum home page:
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member