HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 03, 2011, 07:11 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJayBee View Post
Well I wasn't planning to glue it back in after the effort it took to get it out

Could be usefull to throw at unwanted spectators though
Good idea. I'm thinking about some kinda AirSoft rig to install in my Messerschmitt. Maybe a noseweight cannon?!?

Just imagine....quail huntin' FPV!! Realtime strafing runs!! Yeee HAAAAAAAA!!!!

(HOLD 'im Luke....he's headed for th' barn!!)
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2011, 07:33 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
I managed to amass a nice li'l array of LiPo's before the VISA started smokin'....and thinking of adopting a .30-cal ammo can I have leftover from my Geocaching days to make a nice safe, well......SAFE for storage & transport.

Before I go that route, any of you guys got a neat, tricked out container for haulin' your LiPo library around in you'd like to showcase for ideas?
That's what I use.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Sep 03, 2011, 07:46 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
That's what I use.
They do meet the demands, don't they?
I'm pretty sure I'll go that way....mainly wanted to see if anybody had something better.
Can I use your skull&bones on the side....& maybe the words "Gene said STAND BACK!!" ???
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 03, 2011, 08:06 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
They do meet the demands, don't they?
I'm pretty sure I'll go that way....mainly wanted to see if anybody had something better.
Can I use your skull&bones on the side....& maybe the words "Gene said STAND BACK!!" ???
What could be better then an ammo can? Dat's right..nuttin.
Feel free to use that Skull if you want though..... it does have a copyright on it from my son the artist. (no joke).....but if Cliff tried to get it as a tat on his forehead or something, well... that's another story. Ted already has it on his bedsheets and Proff uses it on his bowling ball.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Sep 03, 2011, 08:24 PM
semper mitis
Paducah, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2004
970 Posts
gentle ben is offline Find More Posts by gentle ben
Old Sep 03, 2011, 10:17 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJayBee View Post
PS
I forgot to detail it but what I did to hold the wings in place so they don't seperate whilst in flight was to carefully slice off a section about 1mm thick from the matting surfaces of each wing half and stuck velcro on, it's is an industrial strength velcro so hopefully it will hold
UPDATE:
The wing velcro isn't great so I'm going to glue the wings in place

TJ;
Meant to mention this earlier but slipped my mind; hope this isn't too late.
Before you glue those wings in, I'd like to suggest running a search on this thread for the term "Dual Lock". If you'll expand or run another on a term that got coined for this product somewhere along the line - "Headlock" - you can read several other posts about the stuff, plus several good photos that show some varieties.

This has proven to be some pretty amazing stuff, re its holding power. I've added just a small square tab at front & at rear a piece cut diagonally from the remainder of the 3" strip to match the shape of the wings' mating surface on my Bix - and it's kind've astonishing how much force is required to pull the wings apart after flying. One advantage is it 'sticks' to itself so, no hook side + loop side neccessary, & so strong all you should need is just one strip to cover your needs.

I's planning on making a short video to cover the 'How To', but still in testing stages (re shear force) so not quite there yet. Anyway, thought I'd toss that out for your consideration. Perhaps you've got plenty of operating & transport space - but for me having the wings removed just makes it SO much more convenient for working on the plane.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 03, 2011, 10:57 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Aug 2011
45 Posts
Quote:
TJ;
...Before you glue those wings in, I...
I'm using the rubber bands and stick-on hooks described in the mod section and it's working great thru some pretty bad crashes lol.
guroos is offline Find More Posts by guroos
Old Sep 03, 2011, 11:13 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,537 Posts
Oh what da heck....all my LiPo's are charged up....I've got the camera in my shirt pocket & wings by my elbow, thought I'd go ahead & snap some show&tells:

First one's the material I used - not named on the package (is on the backing): 'Dual Lock'. 'All Weather' indicates a good, aggresive permanent adhesive.
2d photo: Macro showing the li'l 'mushroom' heads that lock into each other when pressed together. Pardon the focus, lighting's not good.
Also shows how to lay one strip crossways of another with side-to-end squared; use for a 'guide' to cut a square piece using scissors. (Do it twice, producing 3 pcs).
3rd photo - 1 square applied to 1 wing; other square to mating location on other wing.
4th photo - 1 square cut diagonally to match surface. Hold back (with backing still on) of DualLock up against the surface & square up; use a Sharpie pen to trace along overhanging backing. Cut along the mark to produce your 2 pieces required - one for each wing.

Intermission: Clean mounting surfaces with alcohol & allow to dry. Remove DualLock backing, align carefully & press firmly in place at center. Hold pressure a few seconds then press & hold the corner areas around center a bit to seat. In 24 hours adhesive will have cured....consider it pretty permanent!

Field Assy: When you assemble the wings, you'll find the DualLock added about a 16th inch to your wingspan. They can slide back & forth a wee bit in their 'sockets' with considerable side pressure....haven't seen where this has happened in flight....just center the wings visually using the slight 'hump' at the root as a guide. I suggest marking along both with the Sharpie, both as a gauge & a reminder when you're rigging for flight.

Back to the show - a couple snaps of my Recognition Stripes I mentioned earlier I'd show. First shot is for planning - trial fitting using Windows Paint; 2nd shot is the final product. Material used was some very thin vinyl tape I bought from one of the Chinese vendors, made for this type application. It's about half as thick as the plane's decals - flows & sticks nicely (can see foam beading shapes thru it)....so thin the black is actually semi-opaque until mounted, & weighs practically nothing. Strips off very cleanly also, should I need to replace it. I also liked the way the dimensions worked right past the servo & horn & aileron corners - just lucked out on that one!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 03, 2011, 11:27 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guroos View Post
I'm using the rubber bands and stick-on hooks described in the mod section and it's working great thru some pretty bad crashes lol.
Those hooks are what's causing the crashes.
Backing evidence - sheer number of occurances.

(Just KIDDING - for benefit of any noobs that might come along & read later, with extra flying space between their ears.)
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 03, 2011, 11:56 PM
Somewhere in the Vasoline
United States, TN, Greeneville
Joined Jul 2011
56 Posts
Quote:
Field Assy: When you assemble the wings, you'll find the DualLock added about a 16th inch to your wingspan. They can slide back & forth a wee bit in their 'sockets' with considerable side pressure....haven't seen where this has happened in flight....just center the wings visually using the slight 'hump' at the root as a guide. I suggest marking along both with the Sharpie, both as a gauge & a reminder when you're rigging for flight.
I use the dual lock on my wings too. I have 3 pieces of tape on each side of the wing left, right, top and bottom to make sure it doesn't, like you said, move side to side in the socket. Works great so far
StoneTemplePilot is offline Find More Posts by StoneTemplePilot
Old Sep 04, 2011, 12:41 AM
|Taranis|>|All other Tx's|
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,746 Posts
Night Surfer Maiden -- Finally

We had dual video camera failures so there are just still photos of the Night Surfer. Her Flip refused to shoot video ?? and my Flycam HD was not charged. O well.

Each wing has 180 color LED's. There are 120 Blue LED's inside, and Across the wind and down the Fuse are 120 White LED's.

These photos were taken my my lovely bride who proudly flies her Bixler whenever time allows.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
Old Sep 04, 2011, 01:20 AM
Maiden>Confident>Cocky>Crash!
New Zealand
Joined Feb 2010
558 Posts
Decals

Hi all, new to this thread and here because I'm looking to hone my aileron-flying skills before going back to a HK Kinetic800 (I keep crashing - my lack of skill ).

Just wondering if you are still looking for a solution to bad decal adhesion? I have a blog going (if interested click on my name) about a number of things I found for my ARF K800 build, with one of the things I experiemented being the use of 3M/Scotch Super77 spray adhesive. Assuming you have your decals removed/loose from the plane, spray the sticky side of the decal with S77 wait ~10 seconds and place it on the EPO foam. You've got about two minutes or so to 'push it around' if you need to fine-tune the positioning.

No decals? Go to your signwriter shop and buy a metre of the thinnest signwriter vinyl (~$5) - brilliant stuff as you can cut it with scissors or knife, plus it is tough light and flexible. Also its available in every colour imaginable. Glue again using S77.

Sorry if this is all old news, otherwise hope it helps somebody
argo-2 is offline Find More Posts by argo-2
Old Sep 04, 2011, 02:13 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Look Ma - 1300mah and NO ballast

Quote:
(As long as you don't want to use the supplied 1300mAh....'less ya got a twin & a parallel harness.)
I use the supplied 1300mah even now with no problems with CG. It CAN be achieved. As Prof100 knows, I like to run lite and I have never used any of those useless weights. I have even flown it with a 3S 800mah with no ballast needed. But, I had to make a little change. Any guesses?
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Sep 04, 2011, 02:15 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
I managed to amass a nice li'l array of LiPo's before the VISA started smokin'....and thinking of adopting a .30-cal ammo can I have leftover from my Geocaching days to make a nice safe, well......SAFE for storage & transport.

Before I go that route, any of you guys got a neat, tricked out container for haulin' your LiPo library around in you'd like to showcase for ideas?
The ammo can is popular and very safe IMO.
AJ
Old Sep 04, 2011, 02:29 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page View Post
We had dual video camera failures so there are just still photos of the Night Surfer. Her Flip refused to shoot video ?? and my Flycam HD was not charged. O well.

Each wing has 180 color LED's. There are 120 Blue LED's inside, and Across the wind and down the Fuse are 120 White LED's.

These photos were taken my my lovely bride who proudly flies her Bixler whenever time allows.
I love your light display. Did you use "string lights" or ??? Do you perhaps have some closeup pics that show the mounting techniques that you (or your wife) used for the leds? Also, do you have pictures of the plane about 2-3 feet away with the white lights both on and off. The neatness certainly shows a woman's attention to detail. Again, nicely done.
AJ
P.S. Did the plane present any flying differences with the leds? (i.e. Lift and drag changes).