HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 03, 2011, 10:06 AM
USA, CA, Pismo Beach
Joined Oct 2007
1,381 Posts
Based on content in this thread, I think there is only V1 and V2. The only vendor that ever mentioned V3 was Banana Hobby which makes that notion suspect right out of the chute and is probably simply marketing hype from BH.
Greywing is offline Find More Posts by Greywing
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2011, 10:07 AM
United States, ND, Fargo
Joined Aug 2007
180 Posts
just ordered my sky surfer. hope the soybeans can take me crashing foam down on them lol.
johnwohl is offline Find More Posts by johnwohl
Old Sep 03, 2011, 01:03 PM
Joined Sep 2011
1 Posts
Hi,

I'm new to this hobby and I ordered RTF kit of Bixler from HK. I connected all the stuff as instructed and even watch a couple of youtube video on how to build it. I even follow the mod I can to make the kit stronger like replacing the CF rod. All seems good untill i finally try to test all components. All servos are working fine but I'm unable to make the motor work. Any idea what I did wrong? idk what is the brand or model of the stock ESC because i think those beeps can help me troubleshoot further if I can find a manual.
JeffDoc is offline Find More Posts by JeffDoc
Old Sep 03, 2011, 01:53 PM
USA, NY, Endicott
Joined Oct 2010
227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJayBee View Post
I thought mine was a V2 ?
I didn't realise the differences before I ordered, but I think I would still have ordered this one as it's easy to move servos if you really want to.
TJB, nice build & maiden; thanks for taking the time to do them. I too have a V2 & will be separating the fuse to take out the weight. One thing I was thinking of doing was to remove the foam from where the weight is located, back towards the fuse. I have read that some people have had problems getting the correct COG using 1300mah batteries & this would allow you to move them farther forward. Question to all is do you think this would be OK or would it weaken the nose section too much??? TIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
FWIW you got the nice one IMO, with clear canopy & internal works - though some with camerawork in their future prefer the roomier interior of the V2.
StarHopper, always look forward to reading your posts & glad that you are enjoying your flying experience. Maybe you can come & be my instructor when I finally get my SS ready to fly....

In your post to TJB above, I believe you meant to say the V1 has the roomier interior?? (Just to avoid confusion for some of us newer newbee's.) Thanks,
Ron
Papo_60 is offline Find More Posts by Papo_60
Old Sep 03, 2011, 02:07 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDoc View Post
Hi,

I'm new to this hobby and I ordered RTF kit of Bixler from HK. I connected all the stuff as instructed and even watch a couple of youtube video on how to build it. I even follow the mod I can to make the kit stronger like replacing the CF rod. All seems good untill i finally try to test all components. All servos are working fine but I'm unable to make the motor work. Any idea what I did wrong? idk what is the brand or model of the stock ESC because i think those beeps can help me troubleshoot further if I can find a manual.
We just had a discussion a bit ago about another pilot having the same problem. I believe the most common issues are:
1. ESC plugged into the wrong port on the receiver, or reversed.

2. Channel reversed on transmitter for throttle.

3. Throttle trim not all the way down on power-up.

Any of these conditions will cause the motor not to arm.

Note: trouble shoot this problem with the prop removed.

Starhop almost lost his virginity once by leaving the prop on during testing....or was that Cliff?
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Last edited by 2500GENE; Sep 03, 2011 at 03:05 PM.
Old Sep 03, 2011, 02:50 PM
Suspended Account
United Kingdom, Swansea
Joined Mar 2011
2,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papo_60 View Post
TJB, nice build & maiden; thanks for taking the time to do them. I too have a V2 & will be separating the fuse to take out the weight. One thing I was thinking of doing was to remove the foam from where the weight is located, back towards the fuse. I have read that some people have had problems getting the correct COG using 1300mah batteries & this would allow you to move them farther forward. Question to all is do you think this would be OK or would it weaken the nose section too much??? TIA
I am considering removing the nose section from the front, right back to the internal seperation and mounting my GoPro fixed in place of the nose with a couple of small side extensions to help protect the lens from rubbish landings

I'd certainly have no issue with not being able to get the battery far forward enough LOL, in fact I'm pretty sure I'd have to add some weight to the tail to counter it
TeeJayBee is offline Find More Posts by TeeJayBee
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 03, 2011, 03:50 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordks View Post
Good find! Identical specs. Same size and virtually identical weight. It's backlit white on dark blue rather than black on bright blue. The price is only about $4 more than they want in the orient for the exact same item and about $8 more than HobbyKing's version. HeadsUp will get it to you in less than a week and is a great company to deal with. Maybe AJ can add this to his links.

Regards,
Gord
Great stuff. Thanks Gord.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Sep 03, 2011, 03:52 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozair View Post
AJ,

I just purchased and received this wattmeter from Ebay which appears to be identical to the Turnigy you always recommend from HK.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/280688648...84.m1423.l2649

Appearance the same, functions the same, manual the same, what are your thoughts.

I also got sick and tired of waiting for HK to bring it back in stock.
Perfect!!!. You will be very happy with it.
AJ
Old Sep 03, 2011, 04:18 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
V1 or V2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJayBee View Post
I thought mine was a V2 ?
It is. Also, throw that nose weight away. You don't need it.
AJ
Old Sep 03, 2011, 04:59 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,406 Posts
Quote:
In your post to TJB above, I believe you meant to say the V1 has the roomier interior?? (Just to avoid confusion for some of us newer newbee's.) Thanks,
Ron
Whoopsiedoodle....did, & have fixed it. Thanx for the catch Ron.

Quote:
StarHopper, always look forward to reading your posts & glad that you are enjoying your flying experience. Maybe you can come & be my instructor when I finally get my SS ready to fly....
Thanks,
Ron
Thanx for the nice words too. Instructor, eh??..... Hmmmmm....what's your per diem rates?
Seriously, I'm sure you'll be ready long before I will be!
~S*H
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by StarHopper44; Sep 03, 2011 at 05:59 PM.
Old Sep 03, 2011, 05:30 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greywing View Post
Based on content in this thread, I think there is only V1 and V2. The only vendor that ever mentioned V3 was Banana Hobby which makes that notion suspect right out of the chute and is probably simply marketing hype from BH.
True DAT!! *LOL*
Caught muh funny bone with that one GW. Y'know....come to think of it I think 1st time I heard it was from Banana Pete hisself in a vidi.

Speakin' of Petey....something I caught recently in a couple of preview videos from BH's sister company - what is it, NitroPlanes? Whatever. Anyway, something (several things, actually) about the pilot caught my eye & ear....the barrage of statistics about the plane, the constant "you guys", hand gestures, gushing all over about whatever piece of junk he's pushing is now "my favorite plane"....the same flying field as evidenced by the huge lettering on the fence around the shooting range behind him....several things. The camera even caught a closeup of his profile while he was arming the battery pack....and I'd swear on my mother's grave it was Petey. Only in these he's calling himself "Tony" behind those Hollywood sunshades! Keep in mind (should you catch one of 'em) the 'growth spurt' boys of that age go thru as 'tweeners'....and there's an obviously other Tony in some of their ads, to make sure you've got the right suspect.

Anybody else caught that? I know BH is plagued with the calls, & I wonder how many have called Nitro wanting to "speak to Tony". *LOL* Mayhaps the 'model plane' industry has themselves a professional plane model??

And to move on-topic....I'd sure like to get another canopy assy to replace my scarred V1 so's I could use it to cut a port into to hold my Vaio 'flip' cam for some aerial videos. Replacement unit could be either V1 or V2 (presuming V2 would fit) -- anybody know if BH or anyone else EVER has the replacemnt pars available, as their web-catalog says? Wouldn't mind having an extra wing set to tinker around with, either.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 03, 2011, 05:35 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
AJ
(As long as you don't want to use the supplied 1300mAh....'less ya got a twin & a parallel harness.)
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 03, 2011, 05:41 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,406 Posts
Quote:
Hey guys!
Guess who got about 10 minutes of 'nearly-solo' time today!!
1 Bix, 1 piece, No 'Oh S***' errors. *LOL*
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrjr View Post
Congrats! It will keep getting better each time.
Thanx JJ! (& the others) -- Supposed to go again tomorrow; gonna try a 2500mAh Nano-Tech & get some readings....plus maiden the Messerschmitt. (The stand-alone Rx's for my HK-6DF Tx supplied with the Bix finally came in Tuesday)

Needless to say, not planning on sleeping much tonight either - I'm like a 6-yo the night before Christmas! *LOLOL*
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 03, 2011, 05:57 PM
Suspended Account
United Kingdom, Swansea
Joined Mar 2011
2,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
AJ
Well I wasn't planning to glue it back in after the effort it took to get it out

Could be usefull to throw at unwanted spectators though
TeeJayBee is offline Find More Posts by TeeJayBee
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 03, 2011, 06:04 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,406 Posts
I managed to amass a nice li'l array of LiPo's before the VISA started smokin'....and thinking of adopting a .30-cal ammo can I have leftover from my Geocaching days to make a nice safe, well......SAFE for storage & transport.

Before I go that route, any of you guys got a neat, tricked out container for haulin' your LiPo library around in you'd like to showcase for ideas?
RCG Plus Member