Old Sep 02, 2011, 12:18 AM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
5,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Hey Scotty;
Our club's gonna be having a night fly-in soon -- why don't you come visit us down east NC & bring yer stuff! I'll buy ya a beer or six....to make it worth your while.
(Yes, me too wantin' to see it. And remember, "No video, it din't happen!
Post a warning first, so's I can don my welding helmet, K?
Actually my father is leaving in the motor home next week to visit my bro. I made that trip with them once before, but can't now due to work.

I didn't get ANY work done on the "Night Surfer" tonight because life intervened. Looks like on Saturday I'll cook breakfast (edit: for our flyin) and then nap. Finish the night surfer in the afternoon before dark and be ready for the sun to go down. I know that's cutting it close. (the nap is because I teach broadcasting and we're doing our first football game (this year) on Friday night -- (broadcasting games wipe me out)

Video should be possible -- I think. ... 6 hours until my alarm goes off... time to quit having fun in RCG
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by scott page; Sep 02, 2011 at 12:23 AM. Reason: update
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2011, 07:29 AM
United States, IA, Keosauqua
Joined Sep 2010
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakelp86 View Post
Anyone knows where to get servo screws?
I saw the post somewhere but cant find it anymore.

HeadsUp --at bottom of the listed components under "servo screws"

Bob
Bob A is offline Find More Posts by Bob A
Old Sep 02, 2011, 07:37 AM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakelp86 View Post
Anyone knows where to get servo screws?
I saw the post somewhere but cant find it anymore.
Try Here
jrjr is offline Find More Posts by jrjr
Old Sep 02, 2011, 10:48 AM
United States, ND, Fargo
Joined Aug 2007
180 Posts
Sorry all, I don't have the time at the moment to read backward through 500+ pages, so I'm just going to ask. If I want one of these in a reasonable amount of time should I order the Bixler from HobbyKing or is there somewhere I can get a Sky Surfer faster/cheaper?
johnwohl is offline Find More Posts by johnwohl
Old Sep 02, 2011, 10:51 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwohl View Post
Sorry all, I don't have the time at the moment to read backward through 500+ pages, so I'm just going to ask. If I want one of these in a reasonable amount of time should I order the Bixler from HobbyKing or is there somewhere I can get a Sky Surfer faster/cheaper?
You don't have to read 500 pages, just go to post #2. It lists the suppliers. You have no location listed on your avatar so suggesting a USA supplier if you are Australia wouldn't make much sense.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 02, 2011, 10:59 AM
Joined Jan 2007
1,925 Posts
RMRC still has a few if you're quick and in the US. Otherwise, check post 2 like Prof said to do.
healthyfatboy is offline Find More Posts by healthyfatboy
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 02, 2011, 11:01 AM
Somewhere in the Vasoline
United States, TN, Greeneville
Joined Jul 2011
56 Posts
Quote:
If USA
RTF
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=505
1 in stock
KIT
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=507
2 in stock

Ordered mine from here, very pleased
StoneTemplePilot is offline Find More Posts by StoneTemplePilot
Old Sep 02, 2011, 01:22 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2011
16 Posts
Quote:
I order the Sky Surfer from Banana Hobby on Tuesday and it ship on Thursday. This is good time for the shipment and I am very satisfied with the Banana Hobby service right now.
juanlargo is offline Find More Posts by juanlargo
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 02, 2011, 06:13 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,708 Posts
Hey guys!
Guess who got about 10 minutes of 'nearly-solo' time today!!
1 Bix, 1 piece, No 'Oh S***' errors. *LOL*

Sensei Mike took over & hot-dogged it for last couple of minutes while I ran ....errr, scrambled.....okay, hurried ...kind've....to get the IR Thermometer from my field box. Immediately on landing I popped the canopy & got a reading on the '20A ESC-On-Stilts'....126 & cooling -- 10 seconds later it was 118 & steadily falling. The flight was on a GensAce 2200mAh 25~50C with the stock 5x3 prop. Haven't had time to run a battery analysis yet - forgot the gadget & left it home, & I'm in middle of something else right now.

Before closing -- one thing I'm really proud of is, we had winds 20mph gusting to 30 - it was much more active at 1-OS height than at surface. Mike told me maximum wind I should fly in would be about half what we had today, & never 'this' if he weren't there to take over. It was a li'l tricky, but staying attentive & "on the controls" carried the day, with the Bix suddenly jumping almost straight sideways on some legs. (I basically flew giant Fig.8's up & down the runway). Getting to actually HOLD the Tx & feeling out what the stix would do was a GREAT learning experience. Doubt I'll sleep much tonight! *hee hee heee*

BTW spent most of last night adding the spoon-fed cooling & relief ducts & channeling walls of the cuts to 'bend' air over onto the ESC, & adding recognition stripes. Will show later - right now gotta scoot!
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 02, 2011, 07:09 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,013 Posts
Quote:
Hey guys!

Getting to actually HOLD the Tx & feeling out what the stix would do was a GREAT learning experience.
Congrats! Yes... this stick feeling is important to aquire. Eventually you'll get the feeling of a real mechanical link between the sticks and the aircraft. It's surprising how strong this feeling becomes, because you don't get any physical feedback through the sticks. But nontheless, it gets to be as strong a link as the one between the steering wheel of your car and the road. Your eyes provide the feedback that unconsciously get wired into the control equaision so it FEELS like there's feedback. It was an interesting experience for me.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Sep 02, 2011, 09:08 PM
Gravity impaired
Joined Nov 2004
1,508 Posts
Quote:
I think it's important to note that the only place you will get a V2 SS is at Banana Hobby. All the rest, and HK Bixlers as well, are V1 so it would matter what you want. I got a V2 Kit from BH in a short time with no issue. At least I have not heard of a V2 anywhere else. Feel free to correct me.

It has been said that BH customer service is not very good but I have not had to use it. It would do you some good to read the thread. I think you will find that most people have bad luck with included electronics in the ARF and RTF versions. The ones that have had ok luck, will change I bet.
Old Sep 02, 2011, 09:09 PM
Gravity impaired
Joined Nov 2004
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Hey guys!
Congrats! It will keep getting better each time.
Old Sep 02, 2011, 09:37 PM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
YANKALILLA , SOUTH AUSTRALIA.
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
You don't have to read 500 pages, just go to post #2. It lists the suppliers. You have no location listed on your avatar so suggesting a USA supplier if you are Australia wouldn't make much sense.
This is the way ALL THREADS should be.....HELLO RCG , MODERATORS , ANYONE...........
SON OF PALEFACE is offline Find More Posts by SON OF PALEFACE
Old Sep 03, 2011, 12:52 AM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2007
484 Posts
Sale on inrunner motors

Common Sense RC is running a Labor Day sale http://www.commonsenserc.com/page.ph..._deal_day.html
One of the items is a 2000 kV Inrunner that looks designed for EasyStar / Sky Surfer. It's $33 with free shipping, compared with $50 normally at that site.

Specs are not spelled out in detail, but it looks very similar to the 2836-22 from Heads Up RC, except 10% lower kV. The Heads Up motor is priced at $32 including shipping, but it's often sold out.

Placing the order at CS RC is a little awkward. It looks like you'll be charged full price, but go through the process and enter code labor11ship, and it will give you free shipping and the discount price. Double check before you hit "confirm," of course.
Reegor is offline Find More Posts by Reegor
Old Sep 03, 2011, 03:44 AM
Suspended Account
United Kingdom, Swansea
Joined Mar 2011
2,225 Posts
Here's my mini build post plus maiden flight pics and video at the end

Here's how she arrived, minus the outer brown cardboard box, a very fast delivery from BRC

Here's the contents
It was nice to see that the servo extension leads were supplied but I'd like to have seen a servo Y lead too, no trouble though as I have the bits I need to make one

First job was to reinforce the skimpy 6mm tube, they're know to fold if the wings come away slightly, leaving the SS to fall to the ground looking like a dog with it's head out of the car window as the wings flap up in the air

I used a 4mm aluminium rod that I had laying around, it was bought from B&Q, cheap, easy and solid

Making up the cables and testing servos etc

I'm not going into a detailed build as to fitting servos etc, just the different stuff...

After discovering the CoG meant having the battery rearwards I set about double checking to see if there were indeed weights in the nose.
I tried shining a strong torch through but couldn't see anything, then to triple check I use Tone's method of taking a magnet to the nose
Viola we have attraction
Then I parted the nose by carefully (well as carefully as my ten thumbs would allow) parting the fuselage with a blade, in the end I had to part it from the nose to about level with the wing spar, top and bottom

You can see the weight in there, unusually it was one solid weight rather than others who have found a bunch of glued in washers
It was however glued in with some kind of mirracle glue, pretty darned tough, I had to work around the outside of the weight with a pointy screwdriver to free up as much as I could before grabbing hold of it with a pair of pliers and twisting it out, job jobbed

Here's the little blighter

20.1 grams, you wouldn't think that little weight would make much difference to the CoG but it does
It's going to be really interesting when I stick a 150g GoPro and a 70g FPV cam up front

Next up was to find a suitable place to secure the battery
The V2 onwards has extra reinforcements to the fuselage and the servos are up front so a bit of foam cutting is in order

In that last pic you can see the seperator between the nose and compartment, making it impossible to use the hot water trick to soften the weight glue and pull it out from there

3000mah battery in place

Fuse taped up with a little coming up and over the nose too

Here's she is, ready to fly

Now all she needs is a pilot

PS
I forgot to detail it but what I did to hold the wings in place so they don't seperate whilst in flight was to carefully slice off a section about 1mm thick from the matting surfaces of each wing half and stuck velcro on, it's is an industrial strength velcro so hopefully it will hold
UPDATE:
The wing velcro isn't great so I'm going to glue the wings in place

The Maiden Flight

Well this is my second first steps towards going FPV, learning to fly LOS that is, my first, first attempt wound up with my Icon A5 in bits, so I thought it might be best to get something easier to learn with

Here's some pics, video to follow once it's on yoootoob

Cuffed with myself as this is the second ever plane I've built and it's the second one which was properly set up for flight with no hicups

The area:

Really enjoyed it, once the nerves died down a bit I was doing well, trying my best not to get cocky, though I did do a couple of low passes where I actually skimmed the grass
My landings need some practice as I forgot to dodge the tumps of thick mountain grass, no damage or anything though

Video now uploaded in glorious 1080p

Skysurfer Maiden Flight (2 min 9 sec)
Maiden Flight
TeeJayBee is offline Find More Posts by TeeJayBee
Last edited by TeeJayBee; Sep 03, 2011 at 03:53 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)