Old Sep 01, 2011, 03:46 PM
Specializing in RC since 1972
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaled_abobakr View Post
Hi ..

now after I'm almost finished with the intensive modifications/ reinforcements of the Bixler to make it ready for FPV... there is an important question ...

How can I do do maintenance without having to tear don the whole plane ??

The whole assembly is based on different types of glues and tapes .. so what happens if I need to exchange a servo for example or relocate the RX or the BEC to solve a noise issue ..

I've made a test and hot glues a servo wrapped in tape and a ribbon and then I tried to remove the servo from the scrap foam by pulling the ribbon .. and it won't budge .. !!

1-How can I open the fuselage without damaging the foam ??
2-How can I exchange servos without damaging the foam ??

Thanks a lot I really can use an advice here

Khaled
The ARF fuselage is apparently held together with just tape stickum. If you let the fuselage warm up for an hour in say 40C, the stickum is a little softer and the two fuselage halves can be slowly pried apart. Slowly is important.

Servos come out easier when warmed to 40C also and be as careful as possible. Slip the short leg of a strong L shaped wire under the servo and pull gently for a long time and see what happens.

Cliff
theothercliff is online now Find More Posts by theothercliff
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2011, 04:26 PM
Space is the answer
Australia, VIC, Warneet
Joined Mar 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
That motor is popular also. Given your skills and experience, I am sure you won't have any problems at all. Don't use anything larger than a 6x4E on that motor. Also, I suggest that you get a watt meter to avoid burning up LiPo's, motors, ESC's, etc. HERE is the one I recommend (if you can find the doggone thing anywhere).
AJ
AJ,

I just purchased and received this wattmeter from Ebay which appears to be identical to the Turnigy you always recommend from HK.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/280688648...84.m1423.l2649

Appearance the same, functions the same, manual the same, what are your thoughts.

I also got sick and tired of waiting for HK to bring it back in stock.
ozair is offline Find More Posts by ozair
Old Sep 01, 2011, 04:36 PM
Space is the answer
Australia, VIC, Warneet
Joined Mar 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
I just built another EasyStar and put one of these in it.

I think it is an excellent solution. On 2S it performs pretty much identical to the stock EasyStarPermax or Bixler brushless with the stock prop. Change to 3S and/or a 6x4 and you have a very wide power range option. Just by changing the battery and prop you can go from stock docile trainer to a screamer.
Have you put one on a Bixler or SS yet.

I would be interested to see how you mounted it on the Easystar/Bix/SS if you have any photos.
ozair is offline Find More Posts by ozair
Old Sep 01, 2011, 05:39 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,307 Posts
Here's the pictures I put on the EasyStar thread. I really like the Speed 400 can mount for simplicity, rigidity and cooling. You can still remove the motor by accessing the screws through the cooling duct. Also it looks a lot nicer than the external mounts to me. You can make one in 3 minutes with a hammer screwdriver and file.

The EasyStar comes with a free Speed 400 mount, unfortunately the Bixler doesn't.

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozair View Post
Have you put one on a Bixler or SS yet.

I would be interested to see how you mounted it on the Easystar/Bix/SS if you have any photos.
jj604 is offline Find More Posts by jj604
Old Sep 01, 2011, 06:06 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Good on you! I've given up on the "fish-breath" fight. I figure we're RC enthusiasts here and etymology is OT. But it sure bugs me!
Yes... 'bated... as in short for abated... as in abated breath.... as in holding your breath. OK... there I did it. I should be good for another year or so. Thank you for your kind patience.
(Reference that li'l ROFL guy again)
Well, it was either that or yet another bad 'sushi' joke.
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 01, 2011, 06:10 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theothercliff View Post
The ARF fuselage is apparently held together with just tape stickum. If you let the fuselage warm up for an hour in say 40C, the stickum is a little softer and the two fuselage halves can be slowly pried apart. Slowly is important.

Servos come out easier when warmed to 40C also and be as careful as possible. Slip the short leg of a strong L shaped wire under the servo and pull gently for a long time and see what happens.

Cliff
And don't (re your experiment) use as much hot-glue. It only takes a small dollop to hold 'em. You should be able to pop 'em off with persistent pressure using a wide bladed screwdriver or somesuch.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 01, 2011, 06:24 PM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
And don't (re your experiment) use as much hot-glue. It only takes a small dollop to hold 'em. You should be able to pop 'em off with persistent pressure using a wide bladed screwdriver or somesuch.
Or try a heated #11 blade hobby knife
jrjr is offline Find More Posts by jrjr
Old Sep 01, 2011, 07:38 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,793 Posts
Quote:
Here's the pictures I put on the EasyStar thread. I really like the Speed 400 can mount for simplicity, rigidity and cooling. You can still remove the motor by accessing the screws through the cooling duct. Also it looks a lot nicer than the external mounts to me. You can make one in 3 minutes with a hammer screwdriver and file.

The EasyStar comes with a free Speed 400 mount, unfortunately the Bixler doesn't.

John
Hey guys whats up with this new (old?) prop tips, whats is the function of these tips??
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
Old Sep 01, 2011, 08:58 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,307 Posts
That's an new EasyStar prop not a Bixler.

My Bixler prop has them too but not quite as pronounced. Just a bit of blurring in the copy process?

My guess is they are to manage or reduce tip vortices and improve efficiency and reduce noise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakelp86 View Post
Hey guys whats up with this new (old?) prop tips, whats is the function of these tips??
Old Sep 01, 2011, 09:04 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,793 Posts
Budy of mine has same kind of prop on his glider. And we could not figure it out.
Did you noticed lower noise??
Old Sep 01, 2011, 09:13 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,307 Posts
Sorry, never actually compared it with a similar "conventional" prop of the same size.

Noise isn't really a big issue with EasyStars/SS/Bixlers using the 5" prop. On reflection it is probably an efficiency measure.

Combined with the slight reflex along the length of the blade, it has the side effect of generating a lot of entertaining posts on the correct way round to mount the prop though!
Quote:
Budy of mine has same kind of prop on his glider. And we could not figure it out.
Did you noticed lower noise??
Old Sep 01, 2011, 09:24 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,793 Posts
Quote:
it has the side effect of generating a lot of entertaining posts on the correct way round to mount the prop though!
LOL
I noticed it

Thx.
Old Sep 01, 2011, 10:58 PM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
YANKALILLA , SOUTH AUSTRALIA.
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Quote:
LOL
I noticed it

Thx.
For some its easier to type a post ...than it is to use whats beween their ears....
SON OF PALEFACE is offline Find More Posts by SON OF PALEFACE
Old Sep 01, 2011, 10:58 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,903 Posts
...cut - redundant
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by StarHopper44; Sep 01, 2011 at 11:09 PM.
Old Sep 01, 2011, 11:07 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,793 Posts
Anyone knows where to get servo screws?
I saw the post somewhere but cant find it anymore.