SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 31, 2011, 11:39 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theothercliff View Post
Clarification. He meant 1800KV. FlyPoppa has an 1800KV motor.
I think everyone knows that. But, I corrected the typo anyhow.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2011, 11:42 PM
Specializing in RC since 1972
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
I think everyone knows that. But, I corrected the typo anyhow.
AJ
The reason that I clarified is that beginners would NOT necessarily know it. I intended to delete the comment as soon as you corrected it.

Cliff
theothercliff is offline Find More Posts by theothercliff
Old Aug 31, 2011, 11:54 PM
Australia, WA, Albany
Joined Aug 2011
13 Posts
Hello,
I've been reading through this thread over the last few days trying to glean as much info as I can.

I was about to ask the same question as CaptainStack as I am also about to get hold of a Bixler and I'm trying to find suitable motor (that is available).
I don't have much experience into electrics just yet so I am trying to get my head around all the different motors and what all the different numbers mean.

So if the 2835 2200V motor mentioned above is a bit hard to get hold of at HK, how suitable would this motor be? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=7993

Would it need a different size prop / ESC??

OH! Just saw the lastest posts! Haven't read them yet. They should help. THANKS

Also, does anyone know of any good Australian Distributors for electrics or international distrubutors that ship overseas?

Thanks for any help.

Bruce.
Brucethart is offline Find More Posts by Brucethart
Last edited by Brucethart; Aug 31, 2011 at 11:57 PM. Reason: didn't read the last posts
Old Sep 01, 2011, 12:16 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
WELCOME to the Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucethart View Post
So if the 2835 2200V motor mentioned above is a bit hard to get hold of at HK, how suitable would this motor be? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=7993

Would it need a different size prop / ESC??

OH! Just saw the lastest posts! Haven't read them yet. They should help. THANKS

Also, does anyone know of any good Australian Distributors for electrics or international distributors that ship overseas?

Thanks for any help.

Bruce.
While that is a fine motor (I use it on two of my other planes), I would not suggest it for you since you are just getting started. Get this motor:
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...products_id=45 (which is the one you want and the one I suggest all the time).
And this ESC:
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...products_id=46
Use an APC 6x4E prop with the above and you will be setup for a long time. Make sure to take some pictures of your build and a video of your maiden flight. Also, please read Page #1 of this thread for a lot of information that was compiled from all the users on this thread. If you have any questions, be sure to post them here and someone will usually answer you right away. Again, Welcome to the thread.
AJ
Old Sep 01, 2011, 12:17 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theothercliff View Post
The reason that I clarified is that beginners would NOT necessarily know it. I intended to delete the comment as soon as you corrected it.

Cliff
Beginners and some intermediates would have NO idea what we were talking about. So, the point is moot. Everyone else knows that it was a typo. Also, typo corrections are handled better in a PM to avoid a misunderstanding.
AJ
Last edited by ajbaker; Sep 01, 2011 at 12:34 AM.
Old Sep 01, 2011, 01:37 AM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, MI, Hell
Joined May 2009
6,318 Posts
Night Surfer

I just thought I'd pop in and tell briefly about my latest Bixsurfer project. I call it the "Night Surfer". I used 600 LEDs I split the fuse and put 120 blue on the inside - put 180 red on left wing and 180 green on right wing. I
Positioned the LEDs so the light goes into the wing from the top surface. The I
Underside of each wing has 40 white LEDs on a dimmer (brushed ESC) and the bottom of the fuse has 40 on the same dimmer - the Whitsun are points outward so I can turn them on for landing. I've been soldering and fitting for two evenings. I hope to be ready for pictures tomorrow, to answer the obvious question - yes it is quite a bit heavier and I'll see how that plays out once it's in the air.

I'm kinda excited to finish it. This is my third night plane.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 01, 2011, 01:51 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,277 Posts
Quote:
Yes. The SkyS with the stock BL motor was originally designed for FPV. The V1 has more room than the V2. But, both should fly just fine with FPV as long as you stay at 500g or below.
AJ
Wait a minute.. that's just a little over 1.1 lbs. Does a Bix really have to be that light?
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Sep 01, 2011, 01:58 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page View Post
I just thought I'd pop in and tell briefly about my latest Bixsurfer project. I call it the "Night Surfer". I used 600 LEDs I split the fuse and put 120 blue on the inside - put 180 red on left wing and 180 green on right wing. I
Positioned the LEDs so the light goes into the wing from the top surface. The I
Underside of each wing has 40 white LEDs on a dimmer (brushed ESC) and the bottom of the fuse has 40 on the same dimmer - the Whitsun are points outward so I can turn them on for landing. I've been soldering and fitting for two evenings. I hope to be ready for pictures tomorrow, to answer the obvious question - yes it is quite a bit heavier and I'll see how that plays out once it's in the air.

I'm kinda excited to finish it. This is my third night plane.
I am excited to see the pictures, too. I am also really looking forward to seeing of night videos as soon as you are ready for them. Good luck and Happy Flying.
AJ
Old Sep 01, 2011, 02:01 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Wait a minute.. that's just a little over 1.1 lbs. Does a Bix really have to be that light?
Not exactly. I can see you read it exactly as I wrote it My communication was poor at best. What I meant to say was "It will fly just fine as long as the additional weight of the FPV equipment which is added to the Bixler is not over 500g". I hope that makes more sense now. Thanks for asking so I could get it right. A lot of folks read this thread and stuff like I wrote could be misleading.
Another way of saying it is - The AUW (All Up Weight) which is everything needed to fly the plane plus the FPV stuff should not exceed ~1080 grams. At approximately 1100g, it will start to be very difficult to fly and have a tendency to fall out of the air - Plus landing speeds will be very fast.
AJ
P.S. Make sure you get the plane flying perfectly BEFORE you add ANY FPV stuff at all. Then, use a block of wood with washers glued on it (so the weight will be exactly the same as all you FPV equipment) to be a "dummy" camera and FPV stuff BEFORE you use the real stuff. This procedure might save you some big $$$.
Last edited by ajbaker; Sep 01, 2011 at 02:13 AM.
Old Sep 01, 2011, 02:32 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Common lies that are told to us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
My question about the reliability of the quoted KC of any recommended motors. Only a test would reveal the truth.
In my experience with over 200+ motors, the advertised Kv is lower than the real measured Kv in ~98% of the motors I have tested. I have come to expect the Kv of a new motor to always be higher than advertised. I don't know why that is. But, it is certainly in line with the rest of the lies that have become standard in our RC world.
1. Ounces of thrust is lower.
2. Ounces of thrust were calculated using a 4S or 5S and you are using the recommended 3S.
3. BEC ratings of ESC's are always lower than advertised. Many times they will handle 30-50% lower amps than stated.
4. The "C" rating of LiPos are a lie no matter who is making them (Ok, maybe TP is one of the good guys).
5. Your AUW of your plane will ALWAYS be more than stated - Sometimes by 60-200%. Some manufactures give you the AUW without radio gear or servos.
I could go on and on.... But, that is enough for tonight.
AJ
Old Sep 01, 2011, 03:20 AM
Australia, WA, Albany
Joined Aug 2011
13 Posts
Thanks

Quote:
While that is a fine motor (I use it on two of my other planes), I would not suggest it for you since you are just getting started. Get this motor:
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...products_id=45 (which is the one you want and the one I suggest all the time).
And this ESC:
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...products_id=46
Use an APC 6x4E prop with the above and you will be setup for a long time. Make sure to take some pictures of your build and a video of your maiden flight. Also, please read Page #1 of this thread for a lot of information that was compiled from all the users on this thread. If you have any questions, be sure to post them here and someone will usually answer you right away. Again, Welcome to the thread.
AJ
Thanks a lot for your welcome and your advice. That motor that you mentioned is the exact one I've been searching for. Unfortunately I can't seem to find it available any where (including the link above).

The posts on Page 1 have given me a lot to think about and I already have a few plans/ mods in mind as recommended. (eg some carbon rods)

So if I can't find another motor and I buy the one I mentioned before , would the airframe handle the extra power or need serious modification?

This won't be my first airplane. I've been a keen slope soaring flyer over the last 10 years. Did fly a few little electrics quite a few years ago but after melting a few escs and motors without too much success I put it aside. Until now...
Old Sep 01, 2011, 03:23 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papo_60 View Post
Flypoppa, looks like some good prices from this vendor. Do you know where they are located & ship from?? Also, any comments on customer service, i.e. when there is a problem that needs to be resolved???
Ron
They are located in Hong Kong. I have had loads of stuff from them not just model bits.
Sometimes there is a delay on items when not in stock but not too long. I don't know about customer service as I have not yet had any problems.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 01, 2011, 03:41 AM
Serge
Россия, Калужская область, город Калуга
Joined Jun 2011
659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozair View Post
Is this really the case or have they made a mistake?
I can’t say about those two but I ordered there SkySurfer - PNP and has 1372 mm span with 915 mm fuse and 624 g, and later when they did not have it in stock I got on Hobbyking what appears to be SkySurfer -1400-PNP ARF 1400 mm span with 925 mm fuse and 650 g.
So I have them both now. Guess what? They are absolutely the same. Even the servos look the same and the bits and pieces are the same. OK the HK one did not include the speed controller but it was known before

UPD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordks View Post
these photos are not actually photos of the products that they are selling.
True! There is no pilot and it is V1 not the V2 which is on the pic
ua3xds is offline Find More Posts by ua3xds
Last edited by ua3xds; Sep 01, 2011 at 03:48 AM.
Old Sep 01, 2011, 04:05 AM
Australia, WA, Albany
Joined Aug 2011
13 Posts
After reading all the above posts I ended up buying this motor:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....E:L:OC:AU:1123

Thought I'd give it a try/experiment.
What do you think?

Not sure of all the dimensions so not sure how to mount yet.
Mind you still have to go and buy the plane first...
Last edited by Brucethart; Sep 01, 2011 at 06:09 AM.
Old Sep 01, 2011, 06:39 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,389 Posts
I just built another EasyStar and put one of these in it.

I think it is an excellent solution. On 2S it performs pretty much identical to the stock EasyStarPermax or Bixler brushless with the stock prop. Change to 3S and/or a 6x4 and you have a very wide power range option. Just by changing the battery and prop you can go from stock docile trainer to a screamer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucethart View Post
After reading all the above posts I ended up buying this motor:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....E:L:OC:AU:1123

Thought I'd give it a try/experiment.
What do you think?

Not sure of all the dimensions so not sure how to mount yet.
Mind you still have to go and buy the plane first...
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604