HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 21, 2010, 08:32 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
Thanks Bill, I'll add that tape to the horizontal stab.\
I like my WH. Got it set up with a 1650kv outrunner and use it as a beater. Gets the job done and I like to fly it when I'm in one of those "I don't care" moods. Nice plane for the price.

Q
Gene,

Understood. I probably over modified my WH but it never felt right from the start.

Bill
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 21, 2010, 09:04 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Gene,

Understood. I probably over modified my WH but it never felt right from the start.

Bill
That's because you're a perfectionist.
I've over modified a few but we learn from that. Sometimes it's best to let it be and get used to it. We don't always need the biggest, baddest, strongest, most reliable set up for enjoyment. We sometimes think we do but it's not always the case.
You new guys reading this need to know that the mods we come up with are options, not a requirement to have a great flying plane. This is just part of the hobby you grow into but you don't HAVE to do it. Everybody wants a better flying plane but the best way to achieve that is to become a better pilot. You become one as you keep flying real life and simulator, over and over until it becomes second nature. I can't stress that enough.
We are fortunate to have guys like aj and Prof (any many others) willing to give advice and suggestions to keep us in the air. Just remember your plane wants to fly in it's stock form and it's you and not mods that will make that happen.
Gad, I'm rambling..........

Q
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Aug 21, 2010, 09:13 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
That's because you're a perfectionist.
I've over modified a few but we learn from that. Sometimes it's best to let it be and get used to it. We don't always need the biggest, baddest, strongest, most reliable set up for enjoyment. We sometimes think we do but it's not always the case.
You new guys reading this need to know that the mods we come up with are options, not a requirement to have a great flying plane. This is just part of the hobby you grow into but you don't HAVE to do it. Everybody wants a better flying plane but the best way to achieve that is to become a better pilot. You become one as you keep flying real life and simulator, over and over until it becomes second nature. I can't stress that enough.
We are fortunate to have guys like aj and Prof (any many others) willing to give advice and suggestions to keep us in the air. Just remember your plane wants to fly in it's stock form and it's you and not mods that will make that happen.
Gad, I'm rambling..........

Q
Well said. I think AJ and yourself have done great job on this thread. I am the late comer to the party.

This plane, with minimal fixes like AJ listed at the start are all that's needed.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 23, 2010, 12:42 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Page #1 stuff

Quote:
Well said. I think AJ and yourself have done great job on this thread. I am the late comer to the party.

This plane, with minimal fixes like AJ listed at the start are all that's needed.

Bill
Thank you for the kind words. One of the challenges that I face is whether to break the page #1 list into 2 lists. One called "Fixes" and the other called "Mods". Since I have titled this the "Assembly and Mod Center", I think it could be appropriate to have the two lists. Now, the problem - Anything that I put in the "Fixes" column would be IMO and I don't think that is a good idea. The other problem is that the reality is that this plane will fly right out of the box without any fixes or mods. As you know, I HATE those washers in the nose. But, it will fly well with or without them (and probably flies more stable in the wind with them in it). And, as we both know, the control horns DO work (event though it would make me nervous). IMO, after seeing your blog, you would be much better at organizing Page #1 than I am. But, all in all, I am OK with what I have done. If you have any suggestions on the above thoughts, I will certainly read them.
AJ
P.S. For those of you reading this, you might want to take a look at THIS Link from Prof100 again. It has some very cool pictures of the mods and fixes in storybook format. Well done. Also, I am going to put it into Page #1 for the benefit of everyone.
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Last edited by ajbaker; Aug 23, 2010 at 03:59 AM.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 07:04 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Thank you for the kind words. One of the challenges that I face is whether to break the page #1 list into 2 lists. One called "Fixes" and the other called "Mods". Since I have titled this the "Assembly and Mod Center", I think it could be appropriate to have the two lists. Now, the problem - Anything that I put in the "Fixes" column would be IMO and I don't think that is a good idea. The other problem is that the reality is that this plane will fly right out of the box without any fixes or mods. As you know, I HATE those washers in the nose. But, it will fly well with or without them (and probably flies more stable in the wind with them in it). And, as we both know, the control horns DO work (event though it would make me nervous). IMO, after seeing your blog, you would be much better at organizing Page #1 than I am. But, all in all, I am OK with what I have done. If you have any suggestions on the above thoughts, I will certainly read them.
AJ
P.S. For those of you reading this, you might want to take a look at THIS Link from Prof100 again. It has some very cool pictures of the mods and fixes in storybook format. Well done. Also, I am going to put it into Page #1 for the benefit of everyone.
AJ,

The thread (or your blog on this plane) structure is perfectly good as is. Don't change it. I like it and it was easy to follow. My storybook format is another way of presenting the same information to others. Placing the pictures and explanation from my BLOG at the beginning of the thread makes it easier for others to follow. You know, a picture is worth..... Go ahead and add credits to those pictures as well. I only replicated many that were already done. I sometimes proceed without giving people their due credit or "props."

As for the washers, I haven't removed them from my plane. It flies well with the CG I have. With my lipo strap being the driver behind not wanting to remove the washers. If I do then I will have to shove the battery forward which may render the battery strap useless to difficult to use.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Aug 23, 2010 at 07:26 AM.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 12:35 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Battery holding.

Quote:
As for the washers, I haven't removed them from my plane. It flies well with the CG I have. With my lipo strap being the driver behind not wanting to remove the washers. If I do then I will have to shove the battery forward which may render the battery strap useless to difficult to use.

Bill
That is another good reason for keeping them besides increased stability in the wind. I love to use the stock 1300mah LiPo. But, to do so, I have to stuff it all the way up in the nose and stuff foam in on top of and behind the LiPo to hold it and get a proper CG. Therefore, I cannot use your velcro idea unless I want to separate/join the velcro on bottom of the fuselage. Ah well, for me only, I still hate those washers. But, I acknowledge at least 2 very good reasons for leaving them in place.
AJ
P.S. I took your advice and added your pics to the Pictures/Videos post. As more videos/pics come in, I might do something else.
And, for now, I will leave the basic mods list as it is.
Last edited by ajbaker; Aug 23, 2010 at 12:43 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 07:00 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,276 Posts
Quote:
That is another good reason for keeping them besides increased stability in the wind. I love to use the stock 1300mah LiPo. But, to do so, I have to stuff it all the way up in the nose and stuff foam in on top of and behind the LiPo to hold it and get a proper CG. Therefore, I cannot use your velcro idea unless I want to separate/join the velcro on bottom of the fuselage. Ah well, for me only, I still hate those washers. But, I acknowledge at least 2 very good reasons for leaving them in place.
AJ
P.S. I took your advice and added your pics to the Pictures/Videos post. As more videos/pics come in, I might do something else.
And, for now, I will leave the basic mods list as it is.
AJ,

I just looked at the first page. Looks good.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 24, 2010, 10:27 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,276 Posts
I like this Skysurfer with the simple modifications. I flew several packs through it today. The day was cloudy and I tried to video with the cloudy skys but the video quality using a chewing gum camera on my hat was awful. The sky was still bright and fooled the exposure on the camera. I tried editing it down but it's still lousy. We will try again.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Aug 24, 2010 at 10:34 PM.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 03:44 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Videos and SkyS vs EZ*

Quote:
I like this Skysurfer with the simple modifications. I flew several packs through it today. The day was cloudy and I tried to video with the cloudy skys but the video quality using a chewing gum camera on my hat was awful. The sky was still bright and fooled the exposure on the camera. I tried editing it down but it's still lousy. We will try again.

Bill
Keep working at it. My bet is that you are too critical of your work because you are such a perfectionist (which I very much admire). Post up what you have and let us all take a look.
I know I am going to get in trouble for this. But, here goes. The SkyS has taken over "1st plane in the car" when I go flying (I take 4-5). It took over 1st place from my EZ* (which is still an excellent plane). But, for my flying needs, the SkyS does everything that my EZ* will do. But, in a couple key areas, I feel the SkyS is much, much better. (i.e. A No power outside loop - followed by an inside loop - followed by a roll - followed by a perfect landing). I point all of that out because NONE of my other 26 planes will even do a no power outside loop.
AJ
UPDATE: Many times, I have seen folks post "If it isn't on video, it didn't happen". I have posted that a few times myself. It keeps folks honest when they make grandiose statements that seem a bit much. So, I am sort of posting that on myself. This morning, I took the videos to prove my statements. I have a lot of videos to sort out from this AM and I will make a new post with a verification video. So, stay tuned........
Last edited by ajbaker; Aug 25, 2010 at 06:11 PM. Reason: UPDATE:
Old Aug 25, 2010, 02:17 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
UTube

Uploading to UTube right now...... Stay tuned.

SkyS !No power Claim.MOV (1 min 14 sec)

AJ
Last edited by ajbaker; Aug 25, 2010 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Add the movie
Old Aug 25, 2010, 06:10 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
SkyS with some aerobatics

Here is one 16 minute (or so) video broken up into 3 movies for your perusal and enjoyment. Enjoy
AJ
SkyS extras #1.MOV (3 min 11 sec)

SkyS extras #2.mov (6 min 41 sec)

SkyS extras #3.mov (2 min 57 sec)
Old Aug 25, 2010, 06:30 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Here is one 16 minute (or so) video broken up into 3 movies for your perusal and enjoyment. Enjoy
AJ
Nice vids aj.
How can someone who flys as well as you mess up so much on landings? Should I come out there and teach you how to land properly?
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Aug 25, 2010, 09:04 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,276 Posts
Really bad gum cam video of Skysurfer

OK AJ, this proves how bad a video can be.

Skysurfer on cloudy day (5 min 27 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 25, 2010, 09:28 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
lol
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Aug 25, 2010, 09:41 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
lol
You agree with my assessment. It's a really a bad video. AND, I edited out the worse footage. LOL.
RCG Plus Member