SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Aug 20, 2010, 06:20 PM
BH CSR
Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2010
59 Posts
Awzook,

I will relay the message to our shipping department as well as a request that we speak to the manufacturer regarding their packaging habits. It is true that they should re-evaluate the methods and procedures they take in casing these fragile parts.

If you should change your mind, you can always call in to our Customer Service Department or email/PM me directly.

Regards,
Lauren
Banana Hobby
bhlccsr2@bananahobby.com
BHCSRLauren is offline Find More Posts by BHCSRLauren
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2010, 08:43 PM
Why so serious?
2500GENE's Avatar
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
I summarized all the modifications I did to the Skysurfer and posted to my blog. I did this so if someone wants to replicate some or all of it they can go to one spot and see it illustrated with pictures. Thanks to everyone and especially AJBaker for pulling together this thread.

Below is the link:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post15817154
Nice job in your blog Bill.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2010, 08:49 PM
Why so serious?
2500GENE's Avatar
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by awzook View Post
Its OK lauren, its only foam and not bad enough to do anything about. Just wish you guys would take your consumers advice a little more and put stickers saying its Fragile or what not.

There was very little damage if any to the outside box. It looks like it was squished from the ends, once you open it you could tell. Maybe from the long trip from China I would assume.
Then they would have to teach the UPS and USPS to read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHCSRLauren View Post
Awzook,

Sorry to hear of your troubles! Please post photos of the damage and feel free to send me your Banana Hobby Order Number (bhlccsr2@bananahobby.com) so that we can discuss a resolution for the dings and dents.

We will request that UPS handles our packages with more care and caution. It's definitely frustrating and inconvenient to receive damaged merchandise.

Regards,
Lauren
Banana Hobby
bhlccsr2@bananahobby.com
It's nice to see BH handling the concerns of it's customers.
Now please get some spare parts in stock so we can buy them all up.

Q
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2010, 08:58 PM
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
Nice job in your blog Bill.
Gene,

Thanks. I love mod threads but I find I often get frustrated trying to put the totality of all the mods together. I think the only thing I didn't cover was a brushless outrunner installation. The publishing in one place is easy since so much of the creative re-engineering was already posted on the thread.

However, there are three more tweaks I want to do.
  1. Add a set of flaps so I can set it up for CROW.
  2. 4S power. That motor can take a 5 inch prop on a 4S and put out 350 watts. That would require a ESC upgrade to 40 amp ESC with switchmode BEC.
  3. Add some NVH damping material around the elevator and rudder servos. I think the fuselage natural frequecy is getting excited with a motor spinning at WOT is creating too much vibration thereby making the servos prone to responding with the odd servo pot problem. I can tune the fuselage or dampen the servos. I think some damping material on the back side of the servo will change the natural frequency of the servos.


Bill
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Aug 20, 2010 at 09:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2010, 07:20 PM
Registered User
Heartland of America
Joined May 2010
227 Posts
? Whats the point on the rubber bands and hooks? Is that to make the wings removable?
awzook is offline Find More Posts by awzook
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2010, 07:22 PM
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by awzook View Post
? Whats the point on the rubber bands and hooks? Is that to make the wings removable?
Yes, the rubber bands on the hooks retain the two halves together, keep them located when flying and allow removal for storage and transport.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A123 2S 2500 mah wiring diagram
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2010, 07:28 PM
Registered User
Heartland of America
Joined May 2010
227 Posts
I was sure that was the point of it, just didnt want to look stupid. Thanks for the quick reply.
awzook is offline Find More Posts by awzook
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2010, 07:28 PM
Why so serious?
2500GENE's Avatar
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by awzook View Post
? Whats the point on the rubber bands and hooks? Is that to make the wings removable?
Actually it keeps them from becoming removable during flight.

and of course what Prof said.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Last edited by 2500GENE; Aug 21, 2010 at 09:22 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2010, 07:30 PM
Why so serious?
2500GENE's Avatar
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by awzook View Post
I was sure that was the point of it, just didnt want to look stupid. Thanks for the quick reply.
hey, knock it off.....it's my job to look stupid.

Dang amateurs.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2010, 07:32 PM
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
Actually it keeps the from becoming removable during flight.

and of course what Prof said.
Gene,

Yes, preventing them from becoming removable or movable in flight is a key functional requirement of the rubber band and 3M removable mini hook design. LOL.

Bill
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A123 2S 2500 mah wiring diagram
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2010, 07:41 PM
Why so serious?
2500GENE's Avatar
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Gene,

Thanks. I love mod threads but I find I often get frustrated trying to put the totality of all the mods together. I think the only thing I didn't cover was a brushless outrunner installation. The publishing in one place is easy since so much of the creative re-engineering was already posted on the thread.

However, there are three more tweaks I want to do.
  1. Add a set of flaps so I can set it up for CROW.
  2. 4S power. That motor can take a 5 inch prop on a 4S and put out 350 watts. That would require a ESC upgrade to 40 amp ESC with switchmode BEC.
  3. Add some NVH damping material around the elevator and rudder servos. I think the fuselage natural frequecy is getting excited with a motor spinning at WOT is creating too much vibration thereby making the servos prone to responding with the odd servo pot problem. I can tune the fuselage or dampen the servos. I think some damping material on the back side of the servo will change the natural frequency of the servos.


Bill
Sounds good Bill. Crow set up and servo isolation sound good but I dunno about a 4s set up. It may be pushing this airframe a bit too much beyond it's design. Just my opinion.

As far as Crow is concerned, ask aj,...he's been eating that for years.

Q
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2010, 07:55 PM
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
Sounds good Bill. Crow set up and servo isolation sound good but I dunno about a 4s set up. It may be pushing this airframe a bit too much beyond it's design. Just my opinion.

As far as Crow is concerned, ask aj,...he's been eating that for years.

Q
Gene,

I think you might be right on 4S. It would kind of take the plane beyond its design intent.

I am also looking at control horns. The horn into foam connection may require removal and reinformcement with 1/32" plywood top and bottom.

I have eaten my share of CROW as well.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A123 2S 2500 mah wiring diagram
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2010, 08:10 PM
Why so serious?
2500GENE's Avatar
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Gene,

I think you might be right on 4S. It would kind of take the plane beyond its design intent.

I am also looking at control horns. The horn into foam connection may require removal and reinformcement with 1/32" plywood top and bottom.

I have eaten my share of CROW as well.
Hi Bill,
I see you went to dubro horns as I use.. I reinforced the hinges with hinge tape as they did look very "transparent" and will fly this way and see if any problems arise over time. Then I'd form some balsa control surfaces covered with econocote to replace the foam if needed. Did this with my first Strykers elevons and EZs rudder which made it bullet proof.
I love messin with stuff. Especially when it works.

Q
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2010, 08:16 PM
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
Hi Bill,
I see you went to dubro horns as I use.. I reinforced the hinges with hinge tape as they did look very "transparent" and will fly this way and see if any problems arise over time. Then I'd form some balsa control surfaces covered with econocote to replace the foam if needed. Did this with my first Strykers elevons and EZs rudder which made it bullet proof.
I love messin with stuff. Especially when it works.

Q
I used 3M Extreme tape to hinge the control surfaces. I didn't cut the foam, just added the tape. I think either balsa like you suggest or 1/32" ply top and bottom with take care of my angst.

And yes, doing something that works is what makes this hobby fun.

Try the 3 MM CF in the horizontal stab to take the flex out of the floppy horizontal stab. I used a 12.5" long piece and added it AFTER I built it which is a bit of a pain. This also prevents the horizontal stab from taking a set when fuselage rests on one side or the other.

As an aside I think the Skysurfer is light years better than the Wild Hawk. When I had problems with stock SS motor and ESC I didn't hesitate a second to pull the inrunner and ESC of the WH. Anybody need a WH that lives near me. I will give it them.

Bill
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Aug 21, 2010 at 08:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2010, 08:28 PM
Why so serious?
2500GENE's Avatar
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
I used 3M Extreme tape to hinge the control surfaces. I didn't cut the foam, just added the tape. I think either balsa like you suggest or 1/32" ply top and bottom with take care of my angst.

And yes, doing something that works is what makes this hobby fun.

Try the 3 MM CF in the horizontal stab to take the flex out of the floppy horizontal stab. I used a 12.5" long piece and added it AFTER I built it which is a bit of a pain. This also prevents the horizontal stab from taking a set when fuselage rests on one side or the other.

As and aside I think the Skysurfer is light years better than the Wild Hawk. When I had problems with stock SS motor and ESC I didn't hesitate a second to pull the inrunner and ESC of the WH. Anybody need a WH that lives near me. I will give it them.

Bill
Thanks Bill, I'll add that tape to the horizontal stab.\
I like my WH. Got it set up with a 1650kv outrunner and use it as a beater. Gets the job done and I like to fly it when I'm in one of those "I don't care" moods. Nice plane for the price.

Q
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale Cyber Sky Parachute (Sky Surfer) shv2sail Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 6 May 28, 2013 02:14 AM
Discussion Sky Surfer nickwayne11c Electric Plane Talk 15 Nov 18, 2011 02:36 PM
Discussion Banana Hobby Sky Surfer Problems cavy92 Electric Plane Talk 56 Nov 02, 2010 02:49 AM
Question Sky Surfer LiPo mod, help... Freight Dog Power Systems 0 Aug 17, 2006 01:45 PM
Swashplate Assembly with Center Ball; is this the swash with ball mod i want? tekforce Micro Helis 4 Feb 08, 2004 05:28 PM